ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
Z - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

ZACHRON
See ZEPHRAN DAVID CONGREGATION

ZEPHRAN DAVID CONGREGATION [Jewish Orthodox] pre 1925
2741 Dayton (at Leffingwell), Rabbi A. Rubinsky in 1925. 1488 Belt Ave. [1935]

ZICHRON DAVID
See ZEPHRAN DAVID CONGREGATION

ZION A.M.E. [A.M.E.] pre 1900
4214A Lexington Ave., Rev. Robert E. Wilson, pastor (same as below?) [1900]

ZION A.M.E. [A.M.E.] pre 1900
See ST. JOHN’S A.M.E. ZION

ZION A.M.E. MISSION [A.M.E.] pre 1910
1403 Morgan, Rev. B. W. Steward [1910]

ZION BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1900
1608 Morgan, Rev. W. H. Pierce, pastor [1900]
2100 Ann [1965-1970]
3101 Lambdin Ave. [1960]

ZION CHAPEL MISSIONARY BAPTIST [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
4260 W. Finney Ave. [1960]

ZION CHURCH [A.M.E.] (African-American) 1864
Introduced into St. Louis by Elisha Scott. Organized by black Union soldiers stationed at the Fair Grounds Barracks. Early meetings held on a lot at Spring & 20th Sts. In 1877 J.M. Washington erected a church at 2620 Morgan between Jefferson and Beaumont. Became known as METHODIST EPISCOPAL ZION CHURCH. [1877]

ZION CHURCH OF THE FIRST BORN pre 1965
1701 N. Garrison Ave. [1965]

ZION CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE [Church of the Nazarene] 1923
Organized Dec. 2, 1923, 1428 Warren (at Blair). 2011 N. Broadway in 1925. Rev. Charles F. Transue, pastor, 1929

ZION CHURCH OF THE SANCTUARY OF HOPE pre 1970
2838 Easton Ave. [1970]

ZION EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH [Evangelical] (German) 1868
Founded Oct 1868 by Rev. A. Mueller and ten members of St. John’s & St. Peter’s Evangelical Churches then located at 12th & Madison and 14th & Carr respectively. The congregations first building was very modest, built at 19th & Conde Sts. (23rd & Montgomery). Rev. Andrew Mueller was their first pastor. The present site, 2500 Benton (at 25th Sts.), was purchased in 1871 and construction was completed in 1872. Became PARKWAY UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST in 1957. Moved to Des Peres, MO. [1965]
In 1883 the congregation purchased 50 acres on St. Charles Rock Road for a cemetery. Zion Cemetery was dedicated June 1, 1894.

ZION (Evangelical) LUTHERAN CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran] (German) 1860
Begun in 1858 as a day school (14th & Warren Sts. The church was organized in Apr. 9, 1860 with 174 members (18 men and their families)As the oldest extant Lutheran house of worship in St. Louis, Zion Lutheran Church was an offshoot of the Immanuel Church. First Zion church was built at 15th and (1428) Warren Sts. in 1860, and the congregation moved to the present church at (2500) Benton (at 25th) in 1895. Zion changed between 1888 and 1905 with the Americanization of its German congregation. In 1888 only one English-language service was held each month by 1905 they were held every Sunday. 2012 Benton (se cor 2500 N. 21st) Rev. Louis Stock by 1915.The German service, offered for older members, continued until 1942. The church was remodeled in 1950. [2002]

ZION GERMAN EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH
See ZION (Evangelical) LUTHERAN CHURCH

ZION GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
1901 Franklin Ave. [1965]

ZION HILL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1946
2617 Cass Ave. in 1946. 3101 Lambdin Ave. in1965. [1965]

ZION HILL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1935
1211 N. Jefferson Ave. in 1935. 2314 Biddle in 1940. 2239 Cass Ave. by 1960. [1960]

ZION HILL (Christian) SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Christian Spiritualist] pre 1940
2635 Market Pl [1955]

ZION LUTHERAN CHURCH [Lutheran] pre 1960
2500 N. 21st. [1965]

ZION METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] (German) 1891
7427 Virginia (at 501 W. Koeln). Rev. Henry Schlueter, pastor. Church building built 1897 now home to Trinity Temple Pentecost. Rev. Kenneth H. Sausaman, pastor, 1929 [1960]

ZION METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] (African-American) pre 1930
1527 Biddle [1930]

ZION MISSION pre 1910
2708 Chouteau Ave. [1910]

ZION MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1940
2200 Biddle [1940]

ZION OF ISRAEL OF GOD’S CHURCH pre 1930
2823 Dayton [1930]

ZION OF THE HOLY ONE OF ISRAEL’S OF GODS CHURCH pre 1940
2301 Wash in 1940. 4212 Papin by 1960 [1965]

ZION SPRINGS MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
3044 Arlington Ave. [2003]

ZION TEMPLE CHURCH pre 1952
3944 Finney Ave. in 1952. 3725 Cass Ave. by 1955. 2931 Lambdin Ave. by 1960. [1960]

ZION TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1965
2931 Lambdin Ave. [1965]

ZION TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1970
1488 Shawmut Pl. [1970]

ZION TEMPLE (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
2735 Thomas. Currently at 1315 ElliottAve. [2003]

ZION TOWER BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
4124 Rosalie [1965]

ZION TRAVELER (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Berean Missionary Baptist] 1928
1008 N. 13th, Rev. B. Miller, pastor, 1929. 2031 Franklin by 1946. 3004 Thomas by 1960. 1444 Goodfellow Blvd by 1965. [2003]

ZION WHEEL (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] (African-American) 1924
902 Biddle in 1925. 1401a Morgan, Rev. R. H. Brown, pastor in 1929. 1207 N. 14th in 1930. 1537 Carr in 1940. 1937 Carr by 1952. 2325 Cass Ave. by 1955. 4279 Sacramento by 1964. [2003]

ZION’S HOPE [L.D.S.] pre 1890
2518 Elliot Ave. [1890]

ZION’S TEMPLE [A.M.E.] pre 1946
3029 Caroline [1946]

ZOAR A.M.E. [A.M.E.] pre 1890
Gano Ave. (se cor. Guy)

ZOAR CHAPEL
See ZOAR METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

ZOAR METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] 1888
Inspirational meetings at Carondelet Park preceeded the founding of this church, originally known as the GERMAN ZION METHODIST CHURCH, at 501 Koeln Ave. Organized Easter Sunday 1888, as a mission in Hogan’s Hall. First pastor J. Thomas. Later located at the intersection of Gano and Carter Aves. [1888]

ZOAR METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] (German) pre 1900
4300 Gano Ave. (ne cor Carter Ave.) Rev. Henry Schlueter, pastor (aka ZOAR CHAPEL) [1920]


Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS