|St. Louis Street Index|
W - Street Names
Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).
WABADA AVENUE AND WABADA PLACE (E-W). The name of this street is a variant spelling of the Indian name Wabasha, a principal chief of the Sioux tribe. It was derived from the Indian "wapa" (leaf) and "sha" (red), meaning "red leaf." Wabada Avenue originally appeared in the Euclid Park subdivision of 1891 between Euclid Avenue and Kingshighway. It was known as North Market Street west of Kingshighway until changed by city ordinance in 1926. (Arlington) (Grand Prairie)
WABASH AVENUE (N-S). Originated in the 1888 Lindenwood Subdivision of Fred Mittelberg's estate. Its name is derived from a Miami Indian word meaning "white water." (Southwest)
WADDELL AVENUE (N-S). Named for the developer of Waddell's addition to South St. Louis of 1874. "Waddell" is Scottish and English for "dweller in the valley were wood grew." (*Morganford)
WADDINGHAM STREET (N-S). Appearing in the 1843 subdivision of part of the Mullanphy estate, west of First Street, it was named for William Waddingham, Sr., a provision merchant who, in partnership with Edward P. Wheeler, supplied food and provisions for expeditions of the Missouri and American fur companies and the steamboat Yellowstone in 1831-33. Signs of this old street are very difficult to find. It ran between the old railroad freight houses when it use. City records show that it was never vacated. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)
WADE AVENUE (E-W). Honors St. Louis banker Festus J. Wade. It originated in the Shields Forest Park Subdivision of 1887. (Oakland)
WAGNER AVENUE (E-W). Originating in the 1870 subdivision of Fruit Hill, it was named for the family that founded the nearby Wagner Electric Company. (Cabanne)
WAITE COURT (E-W). "Waite" is English, meaning "the watchman or lookout, especially a watchman in a castle or fortified place." Named for a developer in the Dale Avenue Subdivision of 1916. (Oakland)
WALBRIDGE PLACE (N-S). When this street appeared in Slevin's subdivision of 1886, it honored Cyrus P. Walbridge (1849-1921), a business man and mayor of St. Louis from 1893 to 1897. (Fairground)
WALDEMAR AVENUE (E-W). A tribute to the royal family of Denmark. It originated in Samuel's Subdivision of 1885. (Oakland)
WALL STREET (E-W). Named for the famous street in the financial district of New York City. In the 1907 subdivision of Gast Heights. (Baden-Riverview)
WALLACE AVENUE (E-W). Established in the 1909 Ellenwood Park First Addition, it was named for Asa A Wallace, vice-president of the Escanaba Manufacturing Company, who resided at 67 Vandeventer Place. (Oak Hill)
WALNUT PLACE (E-W). A westernmost extension of Walnut Street. See also WALNUT STREET (E-W). (West Downtown)
WALNUT STREET (E-W). When the street first appeared in colonial St. Louis, it was called Rue de la Tour or Street of the Tower, referring to the fact that it led up the hill from the river to the round tower of Fort San Carlos, located at what is now Fourth and Walnut Streets. Between 1821 and 1826, it was called South "A" Street. It then was changed by city ordinance to Walnut Street. From 20th Street to Jefferson Avenue, it was known as Estelle Street until 1868. (Downtown) (Midtown)
WALSH STREET (E W). Originating in the 1859 subdivision of the Carondelet Commons north of the River des Peres, this street was named in honor of James B. Walsh, first mayor of Carondelet. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill) (Southwest)
WALT BOWERS LANE (E-W). A street in the Blair-Murphy Housing area. (Old North St. Louis)
WALTER AVENUE (E-W). Named for John T. Walter, an early wine maker in the area and one of the developers of the 1867 Walter and Espenschied subdivision. (Baden-Riverview)
WALTON AVENUE, PLACE, and ROW (N-S). One of the original streets in the Aubert Place subdivision dedicated by John Lay in 1857. It received the name in honor of Izaak Walton (1593-1683), the British author of the treatise on fishing titled "The Compleat Angler." Walton Place is a northerly continuation of Walton Avenue which appeared in the private Florida Place subdivision of 1889. (Central West End) (Fairground) (Grand Prairie)
WANDA AVENUE and COURT (N-S). The name of Wanda Avenue originally appeared in Haas and Bosso`s subdivision of 1921. Wanda Court was platted in the Alice Terrace subdivision of 1959. The name "Wanda" is of Slavic origin, with the Germanic tribe, the Vandals, being known to Anglo-Saxons as "Wendlas." (Morganford)
WARING LANE (N-S). Named for Oscar Minor Waring (1837-1911), prominent black educator and principal of Sumner High School. (Midtown)
WARNE AVENUE (N-S). Originated in the Thornton D. Murphy subdivision in 1857. Honors St. Louis hardware merchant Marinus W. Warne, a colonel in the Missouri State Militia at St. Louis during the Civil War. Between Easton Avenue and Natural Bridge Road, Warne Avenue was known as St. Louis Avenue until 1881. It was O'Fallon Avenue from Natural Bridge to Adelaide until 1881. (Fairground) (Grand Prairie) (Hyde Park & Bissell- College Hill)
WARREN STREET (E-W). Laid out in the 1816 Town of North St. Louis, it honors General Joseph Warren (1741-1775), American statesman and soldier who was killed in the Battle of Bunker Hill. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)
WARWICK AVENUE (N-S). Known as Cote Brillante Avenue until 1931 when the present name was adopted. The original source of the name Warwick was the English earldom of that name created about 1088. The name came into prominence in the United States in the last decade of the 19th century through the humanitarian and social work of English woman Frances Evelyn Maynard, who became Countess of Warwick by marriage in 1881. (Grand Prairie)
WASHINGTON AVENUE, BOULEVARD, COURT, and TERRACE (E-W). Washington Avenue was named North "F" Street in 1821 and Laurel Street from the wharf to Seventh Street in 1826. The name Washington first appeared in 1835, applied to that section of the street from Third to Eleventh which was part of Jeremiah O'Connor's subdivision of 1823. The name was later applied to the entire street. Washington Terrace was platted in the Bell Place private subdivision of 1890. Washington Court was a private apartment subdivision off of Clara Avenue in 1919. Washington Way originated in the 1890s between Olive Street and Washington Avenue. Until 1871, Washington Avenue was named McLure Avenue from Grand to the city limits. (Downtown) (Central West End) (Kingsbury) (Midtown)
WASHINGTON DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park named for George Washington. (Kingsbury)
WATER STREET (N S). During the time of the town of Carondelet (1832 1851), this street, one block east of Main Street (now Broadway) paralleled the shore line of the Mississippi River in front of the town. It was called a tow path or officially Water Street because of the location. (Carondelet)
WATERMAN AVENUE, PLACE, and WAY (E-W). Originated in the 1873 subdivision of the Kingsbury tract, where it was named for Alfred M. Waterman, husband of Adele Louise Kingsbury. Until 1910, it was named McPherson from Kingshighway to Union. (Central West End) (Kingsbury)
WATSON ROAD (N-S). Named for Wesley Watson, a prominent early land owner in the area southwest of St. Louis in the 19th century and signer of an 1845 petition to lay out the road. (Southwest)
WAVERLY PLACE (N S). The entrance to the estate of attorney Archibald Gamble, who erected a mansion at its south end in 1850. His daughter, Virginia, married Charles Gibson in 1851. The street was originally McNair Avenue, and later became Easton Place after Gamble's widow, Louisa Easton Gamble. Archibald Gamble died in 1866. The family began calling the street Waverly Place in 1884 as a way of remembering Gamble's favorite literature, the English Waverly novels. (Lafayette Square)
WEBER DRIVE and ROAD (E W). Honors the Weber family which owned extensive land holdings in South St. Louis operated a popular plant nursery in Affton. (Carondelet) (Morganford)
WEBMORE DRIVE (E-W). A coined name derived from the nearby intersection of Weber Road and Morganford Road in the Weber Gardens Addition of 1956. (Morganford)
WEBSTER AVENUE (N-S). In Smith's subdivision by Alton R. Easton of 1852, it honors Daniel Webster (1782-1852), an American statesman, lawyer and member of the United States Congress who was notable for his ability as an orator. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)
WEIL AVENUE (E-W). When it was laid out in the 1890 Shrewsbury Park Subdivision, it honored Joseph Weil, a land owner in the vicinity. (Southwest)
WEIMAR DRIVE (N-S). Platted in the 1956 Weber Gardens Addition, it was named for the city of Weimar in Thuringia, a state in central Germany. (Morganford)
WELLINGTON AVENUE (N-S) and COURT (E-W). Originating in the Greenwood Subdivision of 1891, these streets venerate Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), British soldier and statesman. (Oakland) (Southwest)
WELLS AVENUE (E-W). Named for transit magnate Erastus Wells, founder of Wellston, a prominent St. Louisan at the time his name appeared in the 1871 Rose Hill subdivision. (Cabanne)
WELLS DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park named for Rolla Wells, mayor of St. Louis during the World's Fair. (Kingsbury)
WENZLICK AVENUE (N-S). Named for Albert Wenzlick of the Wenzlick Real Estate Company, developer of the 1952 Wenzlick Park Subdivision. (Southwest)
WEST AVENUE (N-S). In the 1908 Chester Heights Subdivision, it was named for Allen T. West, an executive with the investment firm of G. H. Walker and company. (Oak Hill)
WEST BELLE PLACE (E-W). Until 1881 called Schaumburg Place, the extension of Bell Avenue west of Vandeventer Avenue in 1881 became West Belle Place, a name that indicated the street's fashionable character. (Grand Prairie)
WEST BILLON AVENUE (N-S). An early name for
WEST CABANNE PLACE (E-W), WEST CABANNE COURT, and WEST CABANNE TERRACE. Platted in Townsend's private subdivision of West Cabanne Place in 1888, it is named for Doctor John S. Cabanne. (Cabanne)
WEST CATALAN STREET (E-W). See CATALAN STREET (E-W).
WEST COURT (N-S). Is a short street in the Kingshighway Forest Subdivision of 1928. (Oak Hill)
WEST COURTOIS STREET (E-W). See COURTOIS STREET (E-W).
WEST DAVIS STREET (E-W). See DAVIS STREET (E-W).
WEST EIGHTEENTH STREET (E-W). See EIGHTEENTH STREET (E-W).
WEST END AVENUE (N-S). Received its name because it was located at the west end of Bryan's Second Page Avenue addition of 1884 (Grand Prairie)
WEST FAIRFAX COURT (E-W). See FAIRFAX COURT (E-W).
WEST FLORISSANT AVENUE (E-W). "Florissant" is from the French word for "Flowering." It was the main road from St. Louis to Florissant in St. Louis County. It was Anna Street between Grand and Prairie until 1881 and was known as Florissant Avenue until 1917. (Walnut Park)
WEST IOWA AVENUE (E-W). See IOWA AVENUE (E-W) and N-S).
WEST LABADIE AVENUE (E-W). See LABADIE AVENUE (E-W).
WEST MICHIGAN AVENUE (E-W). See MICHIGAN AVENUE (E-W) and (N-S).
WEST NORWOOD AVENUE (E-W). See NORWOOD AVENUE (E-W).
WEST PAPIN STREET (E-W). Platted as Papin Street in Dean's Addition to McRee City in 1883, it retained that name until 1909 when it received its present designation. (Central West End)
WEST PARK AVENUE (E-W). Established in the 1890 Carlisle Subdivision, it was named as a western extension of the city's Park Avenue. (Oakland)
WEST PINE BOULEVARD and PLACE (E-W). A western extension of Pine Street west of Grand Avenue. This street originally was called Baker from Grand to Kingshighway until 1880, when it received its present name as a western extension of Pine Street. (Central West End) (Midtown)
WEST PINE DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park, it originates at West Pine Boulevard. It was built in 1940 as a traffic reliever for Lindell-Kingshighway traffic congestion. (Kingsbury)
WEST POEPPING STREET (E-W). See POEPPING STREET (E-W).
WEST PRIMM STREET (E-W). See PRIMM STREET (E-W).
WEST RAILROAD AVENUE (N-S). Named because it paralleled the rails of the North Missouri Railroad, later the Wabash Railroad, when it was laid out in George W. Thatcher's subdivision of 1875. (Baden-Riverview)
WEST SCHIRMER AVENUE (E-W). See SCHIRMER AVENUE (E-W).
WEST SIXTEENTH STREET (N-S). This short street extending from St. Charles Street to Lucas Avenue was known as Robbins Lane until 1910. It was named for the Robbins family who owned a house which straddled the street alignment in the 1850s. The city forced the family to raze the house so that Washington Avenue could be extended westward. (Downtown)
WEST STEINS STREET (E-W). See STEINS STREET (E-W).
WEST THIRD STREET (E-W). See THIRD STREET (E-W).
WEST UPTON STREET (E-W). See UPTON STREET (E-W).
WESTMINSTER PLACE (E-W). Laid out in the Lindell Place Subdivision of 1868, it was known as Lindell Place from Vandeventer to Boyle until 1881 when it was named in honor of Westminster Abbey in London. (Kingsbury) (Midtown) (Central West End)
WESTMORELAND PLACE (E-W). Located in the Forest Park Addition of 1888, it was named for Westmoreland County in the Lake District of northern England. (Central West End)
WESTWAY PLACE and ROAD (E-W). Westway Road in the 1945 St. Louis Hills Estates Number 2 and Westway Place in the 1949 St. Louis Hills Estates Number 3, were given a coined name by the developer, the Willmore Organization. (Southwest)
WHALEY PLACE (N-S). Located in the Viola Place subdivision of 1957, it is named after Fred Whaley, its developer. (Morganford)
WHARF STREET (N-S). Named for its close proximity to the Mississippi River wharf. Part of Wharf Street was renamed Leonore K. Sullivan Boulevard. (North Riverfront)
WHERRY AVENUE (N-S). Honored Mackey Wherry, an early St. Louis merchant and first city register of St. Louis in 1822. It appeared in the 1896 Southampton Subdivision. Wherry owned a farm in the Gregoire Sarpy estate land grant, and this street is located in that tract. (Southwest)
WHITMAN STREET (N-S). In J.G. Bryan's Second Addition of 1865, it honors Thomas J. Whitman, chief engineer of the Bissell Point waterworks and water commissioner in 1879. He was a brother of American poet Walt Whitman. It was Sycamore Street from Grand to Adelaide until 1881. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)
WHITTEMORE PLACE (E W). Named for Robert B. Whittemore, a wholesale hat and cap merchant, who was treasurer of the Mound City Mutual Building Association from 1869 to 1871. (Lafayette Square)
WHITTIER STREET (N-S). This street, which appears on maps dating back to 1860, is named in honor of John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892), the famous American Quaker poet and reformer. His best-known work, "Snowbound," appeared in 1866. The street was named Wash Avenue after the Robert Wash estate between Easton and Labadie avenues until 1882. (Central West End) (Grand Prairie)
WHITWORTH COURT and DRIVE (E-W). Platted in the Villa Nova Subdivision of 1946. Whitworth is a family name that also is the name of places in Durham and Lancashire in England. (St. Louis Hills)
WICHITA AVENUE (E-W). A street in the Gibson Heights subdivision of 1891 named for the Wichita (Ouachita) tribe of Indians. The former owner of this tract, Pierre Chouteau, Jr., traded with the Wichita in the earlier part of the 19th century. (Shaw)
WICKLOW PLACE (N S). Originating in a subdivision of the 1890s. the street was named for a maritime county in eastern Ireland. (Marquette-Cherokee)
WILCOX AVENUE (E-W). Platted in the 1910 Chester Heights First Addition, it was named for Charles H. Wilcox, president of the Palace Livery Company. (Oak Hill)
WILLIAM PLACE (N-S). In the McKinley Park subdivision of 1904, it honored President William McKinley. (Arlington)
WILLMORE ROAD (N-S). Commemorates Cyrus Crane Willmore, founder of the Willmore Organization that developed St. Louis Hills and the St. Louis Hills Estates. It appeared in the 1944 St. Louis Hills Estates Number One. (Southwest)
WILLOW STREET (E-W). Northshore Country Club has expanded in recent years, and its expansion has swallowed up Bisque, Chain, and Willow Streets. (Baden-Riverview)
WILMAR PLACE (N-S). In the Carondelet Gardens Number Four subdivision of 1955, it is a coined name invented by the developer as a promotional title. (Morganford)
WILMINGTON AVENUE (E-W). Known as Wilmington Road until 1918, it acquired its present name, which honors the city of Wilmington, Delaware, home state of Edward Bates, an ardent 19th-century supporter of public education. (Morganford)
WILSON AVENUE (E-W). Venerated George W. Wilson, an importer and dealer in hardware and cutlery, when it appeared in the 1868 subdivision of Fairmont Heights. (Clifton) (The Hill)
WINDERMERE COURT and PLACE (E-W). In the private Windermere Place subdivision of 1895, it honors Lake Windermere between Lancashire and Westmorland (sic), England's largest lake. (Cabanne)
WINDHAM AVENUE (E-W). For Charles Wyndam (1710-63) a member of Parliament and Secretary of State in England, in the Rydal Mount subdivision of 1893. (Arlington)
WINDSOR PARKWAY (N-S). Opened in the 1911 Windsor Park private subdivision, it recognizes the Borough of Windsor in Berkshire, England, from which the royal family, the House of Windsor, takes its family name. (Oak Hill)
WINDSOR PLACE (E-W). A principal street in the partition of the Bequette tract in 1859. Named for the Borough of Windsor in Berkshire, England. Windsor Castle has served as the seat of English rulers since William the Conquerer (Grand Prairie)
WINKELMANN PLACE (E-W). Literally, a man who was "a dweller on land enclosed by mountains or woods; one who came from Winkel (corner); one who operated a small shop. The family name "Winkelmann," appears on some old maps as a landowner in the former Ann Biddle estate subdivision. The name first showed up as a street name about 1870. (Walnut Park)
WINNEBAGO STREET (E W). Named for the Winnebago Indian tribe in the 1854 subdivision of the St. Louis Commons. This street was called Magazine Street between Marine and Wisconsin avenues until 1881. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill) (Southwest)
WINONA AVENUE (E-W). A Siouan Indian name meaning "first born daughter," It originated on local maps in the Lindenwood Subdivision of 1888. (Southwest)
WISCONSIN AVENUE (N S). Named for a state of the Union as part of the platting of the north south streets in the St. Louis Common in 1854. The name probably originated in the Ojibwa Indian word meaning "the gathering of the waters." (Benton Park) (Marquette-Cherokee)
WISE AVENUE (E-W). Originating in Berthold's Subdivision of Gratiot League Square in 1885, it was named for William Wise, then assistant sewer commissioner of St. Louis. It was known as Plateau Avenue between East Road and Macklind Avenue until 1881 and as Berthold Street from Sublette to the west line of the Cheltenham Subdivision until 1882. (Oakland)
WITHERS AVENUE (E-W). Honors George Withers (1588-1667), an English poet and pamphleteer. It originated in the Lowell Addition of 1851. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)
WITHNELL STREET (E W). Martha Withnell opened the John Withnell Addition in 1882, shortly after the death of her husband. In the process, this street received the Withnell family name. A section of the street from Ninth Street to Missouri Avenue had the name of Washington Avenue until 1882. (Benton Park) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Soulard)
WITTENBERG AVENUE (N-S). Named for the developer of Wittenberg's addition to McRee City in 1883. "Wittenberg" is a German family name for "one who came from Wittenberg (white mountain), in Germany." (Shaw)
WOODBINE COURT (N-S). Began as Woodland Court in a subdivision of that name in 1928. It received its present name in 1929. Woodbine is a ground cover plant which also is called the Virginia creeper. (Southwest)
WOODBOURNE DRIVE (N-S). Established in the 1922 subdivision of Ellenwood, it was named from a Scottish word meaning "stream through a wooded area. (Kingsbury)
WOODLAND AVENUE (E-W). Appearing in Bircher's subdivision of 1906, it was named for wooded forest country. (Arlington) (Walnut Park)
WOODSTOCK AVENUE (N-S). For Woodstock, a municipal borough in Oxfordshire, England, in the 1893 Rydal Mount subdivision. (Arlington) (Walnut Park)
WREN AVENUE (N-S). Located in the 1892 subdivision of Walnut Park, it is named for a small singing bird, which is beneficial for its ability to consume insects. (Arlington) (Walnut Park)
WRIGHT STREET (E-W). Named in honor of Major Thomas Wright, United States Army, in William C. Christy's Addition to North St. Louis of 1842. It was University Street from Nineteenth to Twentieth until 1882. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)
WYANDOTTE STREET (E W). Named after the Wyandotte Indian tribe during the 1854 subdivision of the St. Louis Commons. The name is thought to mean "islanders" or "those who live on a peninsula." (Marquette-Cherokee)
WYATT PLACE (E-W). "Wyatt" is English, meaning "descendant of little Guy (wood; sensible; life)." Originated in Dale Avenue Heights subdivision of 1916. One of the street's sections located in Winkles' Subdivision of 1914 was known as private Therma Terrace until 1930 when it received its present designation. (Oakland)
WYDOWN BOULEVARD (E-W). Originated as a pair of roadways paralleling the Clayton (04 Line) streetcar right-of-way as a route from Skinker Road to the St. Louis Country Club, which was then located south of the county seat of Clayton. The car line began operations in 1895 and with the coming of automobiles, a roadway became necessary about 1910. It was first platted in the Skinker Heights or Tesson's subdivision of 1911. (Kingsbury)
WYOMING PLACE and STREET (E W). Another east west street in the platting of the St. Louis Commons in 1854. The name Wyoming is derived from the Indian word "Mecheweami ing," meaning "land largely the big plains." and applied to the territory of Wyoming organized in 1868. (Benton Park) (Clifton) (Oak Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Soulard)
Back to Street Index