ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
W - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

WAGONER MEMORIAL METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1876
Formed in 1876 as a mission in a little frame building at 1117 Kentucky Ave., The mission grew and in 1880 the buildingwas purchased from the Presbytery by the Sunday school & Church Extension Society of the M.E. church. In 1881 it was organized as a congregation under the name TOWER GROVE M.E. CHURCH. First regular pastor Dr. Samuel Warner, 1886. In 1890, H. H. Wagoner, a prominent Methodist offered the congregation the Non-Sectarian Christian Church building at Vandeventer Ave. & Lindell Blvd. If they agreed to move the building. In 1904 the stone edifice was moved to its present site at 1038 S. Taylor (se cor Gibson). [1970]

WAGONER PLACE GOSPEL HALL (Church) 1917
915 Wagoner Pl (sw cor N. Market) [1940]

WAGONER PLACE METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH, South [Methodist Episcopal] 1893
Organized May 12, 1893 in O’Connell’s Hall, as an outgrowth of a mission school started by First United Presbyterian Church and under direction of Dr. John Vincil. Wagoner Place Church started in a store front at Taylor and North Market, chapel erected in 1891 at Taylor and Maffitt and their installed their first pastor, Rev. Felix Hill, Jr. . Permanent church was erected in 1894 at 1521 Wagoner Place (now Dick Gregory Place) (at Aldine/Lucky Ave.) and dedicated July22, 1894. [1940]

WAGONER PLACE UNITED PRESBYTERIAN [Presbyterian] 1893
Began as a Sunday school established by First United Presbyterian Church, at Kisker Hall (Newstead and North Market) in Jan. 1891. Organized formally on May 12, 1893 and Rev. A. C. Douglas was made their first pastor. A congregation was soon organized and a church site was acquired at the SW corner of Wagoner Place (at North Market). Services were held at Marcus Hall at Easton and Marcus until 1893 when the new church was completed and named Wagoner Place United Presbyterian Church. The present site of 2424-26 Union and Highland (Spalding?) was acquired in 1912. THIRD UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH name was adopted in April 1916 [1910]

WALKER TEMPLE [A.M.E.] pre 1964
2617 Elliott, Rev. L. J. Hall, Jr., pastor [1964]

WALKERS A.M.E. CHURCH [A.M.E.] pre 1965
2631 Elliott Ave. [1965]

WALL BUILDING CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1946
1417 Franklin Ave. [1946]

WALNUT GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH [Brean Missionary Baptist] (African-American) 1922
2012 Walnut , Rev. J. William Walker, pastor, 192. 2631 Gamble by 1929 [1930]

WALNUT PARK BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1964
4956 Emerson [1970]

WALNUT PARK CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE [Church of the Nazarene] pre 1965
4973 Emerson Ave. [1965]

WALNUT PARK FIRST FREE METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] pre 1946
See FREE METHODIST (First) CHURCH

WALNUT PARK METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
See WESLEY (Memorial) METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH

WALNUT PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1900
2329 Robin Ave., Rev. F. H. Aufdeheide, pastor. 5451 Robin by 1920 [1930]

WALNUT STREET PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1864-1926
Walnut Street Presbyterian Church was organized in 1864 as a dissident offshoot of Second Presbyterian Church. Rev. James H. Brookes was an early pastor. In 1926 the church moved to Skinker and Alexander Drive, and adopted the name MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. [1926]

WASHINGTON & COMPTON AVENUE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1859-1920
Washington and Compton Presbyterian Church began their congregation as a conservative group that broke from the Second Presbyterian Church on Broadway in June 1859 and the congregation erected a church at 16th and Walnut which was leased from 1860 to 1862 by the Union Presbyterian Church, formerly located at 11th and Locust. Rev. James Brookes was first pastor of this Walnut Street Presbyterian Church. The congregation dated back to 1849 and met in Wyman's Hall on Market Street until the 11th Street church was finished in 1854. Built in 1877 from a design by John H. Maurice, the first services in the completed sanctuary were not held until December 1880. Members once again voted to move west in the 1920s, naming the new church MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN. Tabernacle Baptist purchased the old building. [1920]

WASHINGTON AVENUE CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1844
See PINE STREET CHURCH WESTMINSTER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

WASHINGTON AVENUE CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1890
525 N. Compton (at Washington), Rev. J. H. Brookes, pastor [1915]

WASHINGTON METROPOLITAN A.M.E. ZION CHURCH [A.M.E. Zion] pre 1895

2625 Morgan, Rev. John F. Moreland, pastor in 1900. 1403 Morgan by 1910. 2625 Morgan by 1915, Rev. J. M. Washington, pastor. 3000 Lucas Ave by 1920. 3004 Lucas Ave. (at Garrison), Rev. H. H. Jackson, pastor, 1929. Originally built for Union Methodist Church. Sunnen Chapel dedicated 1952. 613 N. Garrison by 1955. Aka METROPOLITAN A.M.E. ZION CHURCH. [2003]

WASHINGTON TABERNACLE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) 1870
Former home to Washington & Compton Avenue Presbyterian Church. 3200 Washington Blvd (at 525 N. Compton), built in 1877. A fire on Nov. 17, 1945 severely damaged the interior. Church was rebuilt and rededicated Feb. 6, 1949, Rev. John J. Nance, pastor. Over the years Tabernacle Baptist has been the home of many local black leaders. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. selected Tabernacle as the site for a major civil rights rally in May 1963. Designated a City Landmark in April 1984. [2003]

WATER TOWER BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1886
Water Tower Baptist Church was begun as a mission of the Third Baptist Church in the Bissell area. Their first meetings were held in a third floor hall of a building on the northeast corner of 20th St & Grand Ave. The church was organized in 1886 with 18 charter members by Dr. J. E. Cook (1886-1898) who became their first pastor. Building at 2115 E. Grand Ave. (nr Florissant Ave.) was dedicated in 1886. [1970]

WATER TOWER METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1881
Organized by L. Hallock, in 1881 a small brick church was built on the corner of 20th and Obear Sts. They later changed its name to BOWMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH around 1904.

WATER TOWER MISSION pre 1895
4162 Lee Ave., Rev. John E. Cook, pastor [1895]

WATKINS TEMPLE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
1036 N. Sarah St. [1970]

WATSON TERRACE CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] 1952
Formed by merger of CLIFTON HEIGHTS & WINONA. Meetings first at the Alhambra Grotto on 2626 S. Grand Blvd. and then at their new building in 1955 at 4205 Watson Rd (at Winnebago Ave.) [2003]

WAYMAN (Temple) A.M.E. CHURCH [A.M.E.] (African-American) pre 1903
In 1903 as WAYMAN CHAPEL, Rev. B. W. Stewart, pastor, died in 1918. 1010 23rd (at 2233 Wash) in 1920, Rev. C. A. Williams, pastor, 1929. Rev. Arthur R. Dobins in 1925. 2233 Cole by 1946. 5010 Cabanne. Former home of Kingshighway Cumberland Presbyterian. S. M. Pointer, pastor, 1964. (aka WAYMAN A.M.E. CHURCH [2003]

WEATHERFORD SPIRITUALIST UNION CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1935
4150-52 West Belle Pl [1946]

WEBSTER PENTECOSTAL CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1960
926 Chambers in 1960. 1629-1633 N. 14th by 1965. [1970]

WELCOME HOME MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist]pre 1952
2738 Cass Ave (basement) in 1952. 2722 Thomas by 1955. [1955]

WELLSTON ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1946
5506 Easton Ave. in 1946. 5598 Easton by 1952. [1952]

WELLSTON FULL GOSPEL CHURCH pre 1940
1403 Cockrill (city?) [1940-1946]
6123 Ella Ave. [1940]

WELLSTON GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1955
1364 Hodiamont Ave. [1955]

WELSCH MISSION OF SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH
See CARONDELET BAPTIST CHURCH

WESLEY CHAPEL [Methodist Episcopal, South] 1857
Organized May 26, 1857. 7th St. between Franklin Ave. & Wash St.. 1010 Wash by 1890 [1890]

WESLEY CHAPEL [African Methodist Episcopal] (African-American) 1849
8th St cor. Of Chouteau Ave.
See EBENEZER CHURCH
      WESLEY (Society) CHAPEL

WESLEY CHAPEL, METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF BADEN [Methodist] 1905
8375 N. Broadway (aka WESLEY HOUSE) 3035 Bell by 1929, Grace Sears, supt. [1929]

WESLEY HOUSE
See WESLEY CHAPEL, METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF BADEN

WESLEY (Memorial) METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH 1907
Organized June 30, 1907. 6100 Emma (at Mimika) by Rev. R. J. Smith. First known as WALNUT PARK METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH. Rev. J. L. Greenwood, pastor, 1929. [1984]

WESLEY (Society) CHAPEL [Methodist] 1840-1888
Wesley Chapel (1843-1848) formed the beginning of the current congregation. It was located on Paul St. (north of Hickory St.) and moved in 1848 to the northeast corner of 8th (at Chouteau). In 1873 a larger building was erected, and the name changed to CHOUTEAU AVENUE METHODIST CHURCH, SOUTH (1850-1887). The congregation moved again in 1888 to Lafayette and Missouri Avenues and adopted the LAFAYETTE PARK METHODIST CHURCH name. [1888]

WESLEY TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1970
4819 Easton Ave. [1970]

WEST BELLE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1925
4168 W. Belle Pl., Rev. A. L. Reynolds [1925]

WEST BETHEL (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1935
3042 Pine Blvd. in 1935. 3444 Walnut by 1940. 3237 Pine Blvd. by 1946. 3946a Cottage by 1960. 3704 N. Market by 1965. [2003]

WEST END CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian, Disciples of Christ] pre 1900
Hamilton & Plymouth (city?) [1900]

WEST END CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1960
1745 Marcus [1970]

WEST END DIVINE SCIENCE CHURCH [Divine Science] pre 1935
245 Union Blvd. In 1935. Gatesworth Hotel. 5370 Pershing Ave. by 1955. [1965]

WEST END GOSPEL HALL pre 1935
4301 Garfield Ave. [1940] 4400 Aldine Ave. [1970]

WEST FLORISSANT BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1928
6080 West Florissant Ave. (at 5742 Mimike) Dr. Elmer Fiedler started the church as a mission in 1926 and soon bough a home and two lots at the present site. On May 25, 1928 the mission was organized into a church with 31 charter members, the Rev. L. L. Fuqua (1928-1929) their first pastor. New building was erected in 1950, architects Froese, Maack & Becker, contractor H. J. Cross. Dr. Elmer Fiedler pastor. [1970]

WEST PARK BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1904
Originating as a Sabbath School in 1893, created when several members of Third Baptist relocated to a small frame building at Morton and Chatham, in Wellston (Page Ave. Heights), first pastor: W. D. Lewis. In 1901 the congregation moved east into the city and constructed a brick building at 5900 Easton Ave. (nr Hamilton Ave.) The congregation became independent of Third Baptist on Jan.3, 1904. Located at 5944 Easton by 1915 and purchased the site at 1448 Hodiamont (at Wells), in April 1925. Building now houses Bostick Temple. [1960]

WEST PINE HOUSE pre 1965
4146 West Pine Blvd. [1970]

WEST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1888
West Presbyterian Church began in the homes of Dr. E. M. Nelson and W. J. Dixon. A Sunday school building (Conclave Hall) was erected at NE corner of Maple and Hamilton. St. Louis Presbytery organized this church on Nov. 22, 1888. First pastor was Dr. Francis L. Ferguson (1891-1903), who installed first edifice at 5872 Maple and (967) Maryville Avenues on Nov. 22, 1898. Burned in 1916 the present church was completed in 1917. Church was remodeled in 1951 and the congregation voted in 1958 to remain at this location. [2003]

WEST SIDE GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
1364 Hodiamont Ave. Currently at 3545 Wismer. [2003]

WEST SIDE (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1935
4373 Finney Ave in 1935. 3964 Fairfax Ave by 1940. 4669 Page Blvd by 1952. 1314 Marcus by 1964. Currently at 4675 Page. [2003]

WEST WALNUT PARK METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1910
8227 Thekla Ave., Rev. John E. Thackrey, pastor [1910]

WESTMINSTER PLACE CHURCH OF GOD [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1964
4003-05 Westminster [1970]

WESTMINSTER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1846-1882
Westminster Presbyterian Church was founded by a group of 50 persons from the Second Presbyterian Church. First services were held in the basement of the public school at 6th and St. Charles, then moved to Odd Fellow’s Bldg (4th & Locust) till the church merged with Pine Street Church. In 1851 it was merged with the PINE STREET CHURCH when it was located at 11th and Pine, moved to a chapel on Grand opposite Washington Ave., in 1884. Originally known as the WASHINGTON AVENUE CHURCH the name was changed to GRAND AVENUE CHURCH in 1882. The first pastor of the united congregation was Rev. Samuel B. Mc Pheeers (1853-1865). It was occupied until 1914 when the church moved to it's present site 5300 (5318) Delmar (at sw cor Union). Fire damaged the education wing in 1943. Designated a City Landmark in Nov. 1974. The old church was razed in 1927 as part of the site for the Fox Theater. [1974]

WESTMINSTER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1873
Organized Dec. 31,1873, the congregation first worshipped at 3500 Carondelet Ave. Part of the church was composed of a colony from Southern Presbyterian Church Mission.The cornerstone for their church was laid Aug. 10,1875 at 1324 Pestalozzi (at James St.), following the efforts of Rev. William Howell Buchanan. Moved to Utah (ne cor Texas Ave.) by 1910. 5300 Delmar by 1946. Renamed CURBY MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. [2003]

WHITE STAR MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1955
709 N. Beaumont [1955]

WHITE WAY PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1970
214 Blair Ave. [1970]

WHITE WAY TABERNACLE [Pentecostal] pre 1946
4426 Randall Pl [1946]
1428 Warren [1946-1960]

WHITESTONE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1940
1110 N. 13th [1940]

WHO SO EVER WILL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1955
2824 Cass in 1955. 2811 Dickson by 1960. 2824 Cass in 1965. 3134 Easton ave. by 1970. [1970]

WHOSOEVER WILL GOSPEL TEMPLE pre 1925
1141 Sulphur Ave., Fahey Jackson, supt. [1925]

WHOSOEVER WILL MISSION pre 1920
1812 Chestnut [1920]

WILLIAMS MEMORIAL BAPTIST CHURCH [Berean Missionary Baptist] (African-American) pre 1929
4212 Papin, Rev. J. R. Williams, pastor 1929

WILLIAMS TEMPLE pre 1960
3032 Market [1960]

WILLIAMS TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST pre 1960
5877 Bartmer in 1960. 1500 Union Blvd. By 1989 [2003]

WILLING WORKERS CHRISTIAN REDEEMING SPIRITUAL CHURCH pre 1960
5631 Wells Ave. [2003]

WILLING WORKERS SPIRITUAL (Redeeming) CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1952
2828 Walnut in 1952. 2735 Gamble by 1960. [1970]

WINNEBAGO (Presbyterian) CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1897
Winnebago Church was founded as a mission of the First German Church (later Peters Memorial Church) in 1897. A small chapel was dedicated on Jan. 2, 1898, at 3436 Winnebago (at 3715 Tennessee). They were then known as the WINNEBAGO PRESBYTERIAN MISSION, Rev. Albert Kuhn, pastor. Formally organized by Rev. August Hilkeman on Mar. 20, 1902 with 52 charter members. The present curch building was dedicated Oct. 11, 1931. [1970]

WINNEBAGO PRESBYTERIAN MISSION
See WINNEBAGO (Presbyterian) CHURCH

WINONA CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian, Disciples of Christ] pre 1940
4211 Hereford in 1940. Merged with CLIFTON HEIGHTS CHRISTIAN CHURCH in 1952 to form WATSON TERRACE CHRISTIAN CHURCH

WINSOR (Memorial) METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1905
8405 Hall’s Ferry Rd. (cor Church Rd.), Rev. R. T. Smith, pastor. Merged by BADEN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH in 1914. 8442 Hall’s Ferry Rd by 1915. [1952]

WOEHLER MEMORIAL MISSION [Holiness] pre 1946
4817 N. Broadway [1955]

WOOD MEMORIAL METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] pre 1940
4400 Kennerly [1940]

WOOD TEMPLE A.M.E. ZION CHURCH [A.M.E. Zion] (African-American) pre 1929
4201 Maffitt, Rev. A. L. Wilson, pastor, 1929. 4447-49 Cote Brilliant Ave. by 1930. [1940]

WORD OF LIFE TABERNACLE pre 1960
2106 N. 14th [1960]

WORDS OF LIFE-ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1960
1908 Chippewa [1960]

WORKING MISSIONS pre 1940
3331 Delmar Blvd (basement) [1940]

WRIGHT CHAPEL C.M.E. CHURCH [C.M.E.] pre 1952
1533 Webster [1965]

WRIGHTS CHAPEL CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1970
2717 Cass Ave. [1970]

WURDACK MEMORIAL CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1964
4919 Minnesota [20
03]


Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS