ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
V - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

VAIL PLACE (N S). Entrance to Newman and Howard's Addition of 1859. Named for James H. Vail, the assistant circuit attorney in St. Louis in 1860. Socrates Newman was then the leading importer and dealer in gas lighting fixtures in St. Louis. He joined Richard J. Howard in developing this subdivision. (Lafayette Square)

VALENTINE STREET (E-W). Commemorates Father Valentin or Valentine, a Capuchin friar who came to St. Louis in 1772 as the first resident Roman Catholic priest. His name was given to the five-block long street in 1885. From 1821 to 1826, it had been called South "E" Street and after that Almond Street until it was changed to Valentine. (Downtown)

VALLEY DRIVE (E-W). In the Riverview Gardens subdivision of 1917, it was named for the valley through which it runs. (Baden-Riverview)

VALLEY DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park, it runs through the valley south of the Art Museum. (Kingsbury)

VAN BUREN STREET (N S). Laid out in the early 1850s, it was named to honor Martin Van Buren, eighth president of the United States (1837 41). Van Buren also became the Free Soil Party presidential candidate in 1848. (Carondelet)

VANDERBURGH AVENUE (N-S). Originally named Milburn Avenue in the 1850s and changed to Vanderburgh Avenue after a land owner in the 1860s. Only a small section of this street was built. From Magnolia to Sidney, it was renamed Alhambra Court in 1920. The only surviving section is a half-block long stretch running north from Shenandoah near Grand. It was in the Reilly Subdivision of 1883. (Compton Hill)

VANDEVENTER AVENUE (N-S). Named for landowner Peter S. Vandeventer, one of the developers of Vandeventer Place in 1870. His property included the site of the development. Vandeventer Avenue, which originated in north St. Louis, originally had its southern terminus at Manchester Road. The section of Vandeventer between manchester southwest of Kingshighway originally was known as Old Manchester Road. It was renamed Vandeventer in 1910. (Central West End) (Fairground) (Grand Prairie) (Midtown) (Shaw)

VARRELMANN AVENUE (N-S). Appearing in Newport Heights Second Addition of 1905, it was named for Charles Varrelmann, the street commissioner in the administration of Mayor Rolla Wells. (Oak Hill)

VERA AVENUE (N-S). A name common in many Slavic countries, "Vera" comes from a word meaning "faith." As it became an English name in the 1870s, it was associated with the feminine of the Latin "verus", meaning "true." The name appeared in the 1908 subdivision of Euclid-Florissant Heights. (Walnut Park)

VERMONT AVENUE (N S) Originally named for the state of Vermont, this street was known as Sixth Street between Iowa and Virginia avenues until 1902. (Carondelet) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Morganford)

VERNON AVENUE (E-W). Named for Maris R. Vernon, an agent for the John S. Mellon Real Estate Company, active in the St. Louis real estate market when this subdivision was organized. In Grand Prairie, the section of Vernon Avenue between West End Avenue and Walton Avenue was the principal street of the Page Avenue subdivision of 1876. (Cabanne) (Grand Prairie)

VERONICA AVENUE (E-W). Originally appeared in the Walter Place subdivision of 1904, Veronica is "either a Latin form of Bernice or from Latin words meaning 'true image', as in the word 'vernicle'." The vernicle "is the cloth on which the features of Christ are said to have been miraculously impressed when it was used to wipe his face as he went to Calvary." It was known as Theobald Street from Kingshighway Northwest to the city limits until 1913. (Baden-Riverview)

VEST AVENUE (N-S). In the West Bremen subdivision of 1856, it honors George Graham Vest (1830-1904) a Missouri state representative and a senator in the Confederate Congress from 1862 to 1865. Known for his oratory, Vest is famous for his "Eulogy to the Dog" at a jury trial in 1869. This street was Twentieth Street from Farrar to the north line of Stuewe's Addition until 1883. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

VICTOR STREET (E W). One of the streets which originated in William Carr Lane's suburban town of St. George. It carries the name of his only son, Victor Ralph Carr Lane, who died in 1846 at the age of 15. (Benton Park) (Compton Hill) (Soulard)

VICTORIA AVENUE (E-W) and VICTORIA PLACE (N-S). Christened for England's Queen Victoria in the Gratiot Square Subdivision of 1907. (Oakland)

VIENNA AVENUE (N-S). Located in the 1929 subdivision of St. Louis Hills Number One, it honors the city of Vienna, Austria. (Southwest)

VILLA AVENUE (E-W). Originally appeared in Shield's Second Forest Park Subdivision of 1888, the Latin word means "a country home." (Oakland)

VILLE COURT (E-W). Named for the neighborhood in which it is located. "The Ville" was originally known as Elleardsville, and was named after Charles Elleard, a florist and horticulturist who built a conservatory and greenhouses in the area. (The Ville)

VINE GROVE AVENUE (N-S). Established in the Vine Grove subdivision in the Old Orchard Tract of 1866 and named for the subdivision. (Fairground)

VIOLAVIEW DRIVE (N-S). A viola is a four-stringed instrument, slightly larger and deeper in tone than a violin. (Carondelet)

VIRGINIA AVENUE (N S). Originally named for the state of Virginia in the subdivision of the St. Louis Commons in 1854 under the policy of naming north-south streets after states of the Union. From the River des Peres to Bates Street, this street was named Fifth Street under a Carondelet ordinance of 1843. It retained that name until 1883 when it was changed by a St. Louis City ordinance to recognize the state of Virginia. Between Bates and Meramec streets it was called Stringtown Road until 1883, when that section also received the name of Virginia. (Carondelet) (Compton Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Midtown) (Morganford)

VISTA AVENUE (E-W). Probably named for the fine vista that can be seen from this street's intersection with Grand Boulevard at the top of Compton Hill. It originated in McPherson and Shepley's subdivisiion of the Motard Tract in 1874. (Midtown) (Shaw)

VIVIAN AVENUE and PLACE (N-S). "Vivian" is a usual English form of a Latin word meaning "living, alive." Originated In the North Pointe addition of 1921, it probably was named for a daughter of the Switzer family, former property owner. Vivian Avenue is in the 1921 North Pointe Addition north and west of Florissant Avenue. Vivian Place is south of West Florissant Avenue. (Walnut Park)

VOERSTER AVENUE (N-S). In Volo Voerster's subdivision of 1949 and named for the developer. (The Hill)

VOLO AVENUE (N-S). In Volo Voerster's subdivision of 1949, it carried the given name of the developer. "Volo" is the Spanish word for flight. (The Hill)

VON PHUL STREET (N-S). Honored Henry Von Phul (1784-1874) a commission merchant and steamboat owner, insurance man, member of the school board. and director of the Iron Mountain Railroad. Platted in the Second subdivision of J.G. Bryan's estate in 1865. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

VULCAN STREET (N S). Called Jackson street to honor Andrew Jackson until 1881, then it was renamed after the nearby Vulcan Iron Works (in Roman mythology, Vulcan was the god of fire and metalworking). (Carondelet)

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS