ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
U - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

UKRANIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH pre 1935
1523 Hickory [1940]

UNDENOMINATION MISSION pre 1930
2823 N. Broadway [1930] 6925 Manchester Ave. in 1930. 6929 Manchester [1935]

UNDENOMINATIONAL CHURCH OF FAITH pre 1965
4589 Easton Ave. [1970]

UNION AVENUE CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian; Disciples of Christ] 1871
An outgrowth of the old Central (First) Christian Church, originally formed in 1871, after a group of church members were dismissed over an issue of an organ for the church. First met in a hall at 14th and St. Charles Streets, with services provided by Rev. D. Pat Henderson, until 1875 when they moved to a church at 23rd and Washington. In 1887 another move was made to a new building at 3619 Finney Avenue near Grand. In 1892 Rev. O. A. Bartholomew resigned as pastor of the First Christian Church to form the MOUNT CABANNE CHRISTIAN CHURCH at Kingshighway and Morgan (now Enright). In 1902, this church combined with the CENTRAL CHRISTIAN CHURCH and moved into their building at Kingshighway and Enright (razed). In 1904 they adopted the name of UNION AVENUE CHRISTIAN CHURCH and erected a chapel, designed by Albert B. Groves, on the present site 733 N. Union Blvd., (at Enright, Cabanne District). Building was modernized in 1958. Designated City Landmark Nov. 1974. [2003]

UNION AVENUE PRESBYTERIAN [Presbyterian] pre 1915
Union Blvd. (se cor Spalding) [1915]

UNION BAPTIST [Baptist] pre 1890
2244 Gratiot, Rev. Cass Landers, pastor [1890]

UNION BAPTIST [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1915
2920 Market, Rev. Eugene G. Goldshy, pastor [1915]

UNION CHAPEL
See COTE BRILLIANTE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

UNION CONGREGATIONAL [Congregational] 1883
Cass Ave. (at 11th) Rev. Dana W. Bartlett, pastor, 1433 N. 10th by 1895. [1910]

UNION GOSPEL MISSION pre 1935
4241 N. Broadway in 1935. 4223 N. Broadway by 1940. 4228 N. Broadway by 1946 [1946]

UNION GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1955
2957 Sheridan in 1955. 5164 Lexington Ave. 1970 [1970]

UNION GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
3977 Delmar Blvd [1960]

UNION MEMORIAL pre 1930
1547 Gratiot in 1920. 4511 St. Ferdinand Ave. [1930]

UNION MEMORIAL A.M.E. CHURCH [A.M.E.] pre 1955
2733 Pine Blvd. [1955]

UNION MEMORIAL CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1970
6711 Natural Bridge Ave. [1970]

UNION MEMORIAL (United) METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] (African-American) 1846
Their first church was on Broadway (between Morgan & Franklin) and later at 1008 Wash St. Last location was at 2733 Pine, (at 208 N. Leffingwell) Mill Creek Valley) by 1910, in the former Temple Israel building. Did not survive demolition of area (1958-1964) 1141 Belt (at Barton). [2003]

UNION MEMORIAL WASH STREET MISSION (African-American) pre 1915
929 N. 12th [1915]

UNION METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1862
Organized Jan. 1, 1862 in the offices of the Central Christian Advocate (101 Locust St.) Initially at 11th and Locust (a vacant Union Presbyterian church) in 1862 with Rev. Henry Cox as pastor. They then moved to "Piety Hill" at the SW corner (613) N. Garrison Ave. and Lucas from1882 to 1911. This congregation was an outgrowth of EBENEZER CHAPEL (Washington Ave. between 7th & 8th Sts.), the city's first Methodist Church, which disbanded in 1861 because of the northern sympathy of its members in a denomination that was predominately pro-southern. In 1880 this building was sold to the Y.M. C.A. and in 1888 Union Church established a Vandeventer Ave. branch which grew into GRACE M.E. CHURCH. The Garrison Ave. structure was destroyed by fire on May 3, 1911 and although the church was rebuilt, the congregation purchased the First Congregational Church at 3610 Grandel Square (Delmar & Grand). UNION METHODIST CHURCH merged with CHRIST METHODIST CHURCH in 1952 and occupied a new building at 3543 Watson Rd. Now known as UNION UNITED METHODIST CHURCH. [2003]

UNION MISSION CHURCH pre 1900
1432 Franklin Ave., Rev. M. B. Gott, pastor in 1900. 2629 Franklin by 1915 1901 Olive by 1920. 812 N. Garrison by 1925. 3851 Easton Ave. by 1952. 2126 E. College Ave. by 1960. [1970]

UNION MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
2846 Easton Ave. [1960] 2731 Delmar Blvd [1960] 1011 N. Vandeventer Ave. [1965]
2957 Dayton [1960-2003] 36 S. Leonard Ave. in 1935

UNION PARADISE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1952
715 N. Vandeventer Ave. [1965]

UNION PARADISE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
2740 Clara Ave. [1970]

UNION RESCUE MISSION pre 1940
739 S. 2nd St. [1940]

UNION SINAI (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] (African-American) 1928
3510 Market, Rev. M. J. Jackson, pastor, 1929. 3335 Market by 1935. 2810 Clark Ave. by 1940. 411 S. 23rd by 1946. 3706 Cozens Ave. by 1960. [1970]

UNION TABERNACLE pre 1895
Cass (nr. 11th) [1895]

UNION TABERNACLE (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
618 N. Newstead in 1965. 626 N. Newstead by 1970. [2003]

UNION UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
See UNION METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

UNION VINE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1940
930 N. 22nd St. 3501 Evans Ave. by 1960. [1970]

UNITARIAN CHURCH OF THE MESSIAH
See CHURCH OF THE MESSIAH

UNITARIAN CHURCH OF THE UNITY
See CHURCH OF THE UNITY

UNITARIAN MISSION pre 1885
Southwest corner of Wash (at 9th) [1885]

UNITED BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
1901 Pestalozzi [1970]

UNITED BRETHREN pre 1925
1915 Wagoner Pl. [1925]

UNITED CHRISTIAN MISSION [Christian] pre 1965
3741 St. Louis Ave. [1965]

UNITED CHRISTIAN MISSIONARY SOCIETY pre 1940
2700 Pine Ave. [1940]

UNITED CHRISTIAN SPIRITUALIST CHURCH [Christian Spiritualist] pre 1940
4150 West Belle Pl [1940]

UNITED CHURCH No.3 HOLY SPIRIT PRAYER HOUSE OF POWER [Spiritualist] pre 1960
1508 Franklin Ave. [1960]

UNITED CONGREGATIONAL [Congregational] pre 1915
Barrett (nw cor Thompson Ave.), Rev. W. P. Nanier [1915]
See also FOUNTAIN PARK CONGREGATIONAL

UNITED HEBREW TEMPLE [Jewish] (Polish, Traditional) 1837
Believed to be the oldest Jewish congregation west of the Mississippi. On Oct.3, 1841 a group headed by Herman Van Beil, J. Pecare, and Hyam H. Cohen, met at the Oracle Coffee House at 2nd and Locust to write the constitution for the United Hebrew Congregation. In 1848 they were located on 6th (now Broadway) near Green (now Lucas) in the four year old North Baptist Church. The first formal religious leader was Dr. Bernard Illowy who became the first rabbi of United Hebrew. He stayed only one year (1854-55). In 1859 the congregation dedicated its new building at 420 North 6th (between Locust and St. Charles). By 1860, the Jewish population in St. Louis swelled to 5,000 souls. Synagogue was located on SW corner of 21st and Olive from 1880 to 1903, when the congregation moved to Kingshighway and Enright, in the reconverted Cabanne Christian Church. Their next temple on (225) Skinker near Wydown was occupied in 1926, and remodeled in 1967, presently the home of Missouri Historical Society. Temples present location: 13788 Conway Rd., St. Louis County, MO [1967]
First cemetery was at Jefferson Ave near Union Station until 1856 when they acquired Mt. Olive Cemetery (North & South Rd.)

UNITED HOLINESS CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God-Holiness] pre 1970
2816 N. Newstead ave. [1970]

UNITED HOLY CHURCH pre 1960
2510 Glasgow Ave. [1960]

UNITED HOLY CHURCH OF AMERICAN pre 1935
2738 Chouteau Ave. in 1935. 2733 Pine Blvd. By 1955. [1955]

UNITED HOLY TEMPLE pre 1970
2401 Coleman St. [1970]

UNITED HOUSE OF PRAYER pre 1970
2818 N. Newstead Av. Currently 3300 N. Kingshighway [2003]

UNITED METHODIST
See CABANNE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

UNITED MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
4378 Page Blvd. [1970]

UNITED NEGRO IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION LIBERTY HALL pre 1965
1330 Biddle [1965]

UNITED ORTHODOX JEWISH COMMUNITY OF ST. LOUIS VAAD HOEIR [Jewish] pre 1952
6128 Delmar Blvd [1952]

UNITED PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1946
6254 Broadway in 1946. 1254 Broadway by 1952 3645 S. Grand Blvd. [1960-1970]
815 Angelica [1960] 4000 S. Grand Blvd [1952]

UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Cumberland Presbyterian] 1841
5th St at Locust [1841]

UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1875
See FIRST UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

UNITED SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1965
3128 Brantner [1965]

UNITED UNIVERSAL ETHIOPIAN CHURCH pre 1940
2144 Clark Ave. [1940]

UNITY CENTER [Unity] pre 1940
5440 Neosho [1940]

UNITY CENTER OF CHRISTIANITY pre 1960
4328 Easton Ave. in 1960. 5165 Delmar Blvd. by 1965 [2003]

UNITY CENTER OF PRACTICAL CHRISTIANITY, South Side [Unity] pre 1940
6100 S. Grand Blvd. In 1940. 3616 Bates by 1946 [1952]

UNITY CHAPEL pre 1955
4546 St. Ferdinand Ave. in 1955. 3107 Whittier by 1960. [1970]

UNITY CHRIST CHURCH [Unity] pre 1952
4526 West Pine Blvd. In 1952. 33 N. Skinker Blvd by 1960 [2003]

UNITY CHRISTIAN SPIRITUAL TEMPLE [Spiritualist] pre 1946
1101 N. Channing Ave. [1952]

UNITY CHURCH OF GOD pre 1935
1343 N. Leffingwell Ave. [1935]

UNITY CHURCH OF PRACTICAL CHRISTIANITY [Unity] pre 1946
4621 S. Kingshighway [1946]

UNITY COMMUNITY CHURCH OF CHRIST [Church of Christ]
See COMMUNITY CHURCH OF CHRIST

UNITY HOUSE OF PRAYER pre 1965
4166 Fairfax [1970]

UNITY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
1012 Whittier [1960]

UNITY SINGERS PRAYER HOUSE pre 1970
1839 Franklin Ave. [1970]

UNITY SOCIETY OF APPLIED CHRISTIANITY [Unity] pre 1940
320 N. Grand Blvd. In 1940. 3625 Carter Ave. by 1946. [1946]

UNITY SPIRITUAL MISSION [Spiritualist] pre 1965
4326 Cook Ave. [1965]

UNITY (United) LUTHERAN CHURCH [Lutheran, Ill. Synod] 1927
Organized May 1927. Winona & Gereford, Rev. H. A. Kunkle, pastor, 1929. 4619 S. Kingshighway Blvd. By 1930. 4996 Oleatha Ave. by 1946. [1955]

UNIVERSAL CHURCH [ Spiritualist] pre 1921
Stumph’s Hall – 7903 West Belle, pastor: Mrs. Davis-Johnson [1921]

UNIVERSAL SPIRITUAL SOCIETY [Spiritualist] pre 1921
3116A Easton pastor:Mrs.Schneider [1921]

UNIVERSAL THEOMONESTIC CHURCH [Spiritualism] 1922
3613a Cozens, Mrs. L. A. Ruhland, pastor [1922]

UNIVERSAL TRIUMPH CHURCH pre 1946
1323 N. Taylor Ave. [1946]

UNIVERSAL TRIUMPH THE DOMINION OF GOD THANKFUL CENTER, No.1 pre 1952
1406 N. Jefferson Ave. [1952]

UNIVERSAL TRUTH ASSEMBLY pre 1946
4843 Easton Ave. [1946]

UNIVERSALIST pre 1895
3400 Lindell Ave., Rev. E. Bartlee, pastor [1895]

UNIVERSITY (City) METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, South
See UNIVERSITY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

UNIVERSITY FIRST CHURCH
See FIRST METHODIST CHURCH, South

UNIVERSITY (City) METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, South

UNIVERSITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1840
Organized March 1840, their first place of worship was at the southwest corner of 5th and Pine Sts. They later moved to 5th and Locust and in 1870 moved to 20th and Morgan where a new church was erected in 1873. They moved again to Morgan & Newstead and the present church is at 6166 Delmar Blvd. [1873]

UNIVERSITY STREET COLORED CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1875
University near 21st St. Edward Willis, pastor [1875]

UNIVERSITY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] 1909
6901 Washington (at Trinity). Organized July 1909, their first pastor was Dr. Ivan Lee Holt. The current church building was constructed in 1925 from a design by Albert B. Groves. (aka UNIVERSITY (City) MWTHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, South) [2003]

UPPER ROOM MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
2239 Case Ave. in 1965. 2207 Cass Ave. by 1970 [1970]


Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS