ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
T - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

T. E. HUNTLEY AVENUE (N-S). Named in honor of Thomas Elliott Huntley, a clergyman who was pastor of the Central Baptist Church from 1942 to 1983. T.E. Huntley Avenue was formerly part of Ewing Street. (The official name of this street is T. E. Huntley Avenue, not Rev. T. E. Huntley Avenue. It was named in city ordinance #59748.) (Midtown)

TAFT AVENUE (E-W). Originated in the 1908 Taft Place Subdivision off of Gravois Avenue and named for William Howard Taft, president of the United States (1909-1913) and later chief justice of the United States Supreme Court (1921-1930). From Compton Avenue to Thirty-ninth Street, it was named Neosho Street until 1940. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill)

TALCOTT AVENUE (E-W). When it appeared in the Lowell Addition of 1851, it honored Captain Andrew Talcott of the U.S. Army Engineers. He was a member of Colonel Henry Atkinson's Missouri River expedition of 1819 and a surveyor and inventor. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

TALMAGE AVENUE (N-S). Named for property owner A. R. Talmage, an executive with the Pacific Railroad in the McRee City subdivision of 1869. (Central West End) (Shaw)

TAMM AVENUE (N-S). Honors Jacob Tamm, an early farmer and land owner in the Glades Tract, where the name of Tamm Road appeared on the 1856 map. It was changed to Tamm Avenue in 1893. (Clifton) (Oakland) (Southwest)

TARA LANE (N-S). In the Inglesyde subdivision of 1890, it is named for a village in County Meath, Ireland, which was the seat of Irish kings until the sixth century. (Baden-Riverview) (Walnut Park)

TAYLOR AVENUE (N-S) and (E-W). So titled by landowner Nathaniel Pendleton Taylor after himself. Taylor Avenue first appears on St. Louis maps in the 1850s. Taylor served as United States Register in St. Louis in the 1840s, a position which would have made him knowledgeable about land in the region. He owned a large tract along the north edge of present-day Lindell Boulevard. The present southerly extension through Gibson Heights to Manchester Road was made in 1893. In the Fairground neighborhood, it was formerly Magnolia Avenue from St. Louis Avenue to Ashland until 1881. In the Baden neighborhood, it was previously named Harlem Avenue and Bircher Street from Wharf to West Florissant before 1913. Like East Grand, Taylor is East Taylor from West Florissant to Hall. (Baden-Riverview) (Central West End) (Fairground) (Grand Prairie) (Hyde Park & Bissell- College Hill) (Shaw)

TEACHERS DRIVE (N-S). So named because of its close proximity to Harris-Stowe State College, which was originally a normal school (teachers' college) and still serves mainly as a teacher training institution. (Midtown)

TEDMAR AVENUE and COURT (N-S). This name originated in the 1950 Tedmar Subdivision for which Tedmar Avenue is named. Tedmar Court was platted in the 1955 Terry Subdivision. The name appears to be a coined word, as from "Ted" and "Marshall," but its origins have not been discovered. (Southwest)

TEMPLE PLACE (N-S). Named for Joseph Temple, city assessor and collector of water rates, in the 1890 subdivision of Mount Gamble. (Cabanne)

TENNESSEE AVENUE and PLACE (N S). Named for the Volunteer State in the subdivisions of the St. Louis Commons during the 1850s. Until 1902, a southern section of the street was named Eleventh Street between Eiler and Osceola Streets and various sections in south St. Louis and Carondelet were named Tenth and Twelfth Street. The name of the state of "Tennessee" originated in the important Cherokee Indian town of "Tanasi," which had various spellings. (Carondelet) (Compton Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Morganford)

TENNIS WAY (N-S). So named in the 1946 subdivision of St. Louis Hills Number 4, because it led toward the tennis courts in Willmore Park. (Southwest)

TENNYSON SQUARE (N-S). Appeared in the 1891 Moses Greenwood Subdivision, it venerates Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809-1892), English poet laureate after 1850. (Oakland)

TENTH STREET (N-S). First appeared in the John B. C. Lucas addition of 1836. In Rene Paul's addition of 1845, that portion of present-day 10th Street between Gratiot and Chouteau was named Barlow Street for Stephen D. Barlow, a railroad executive and president of the St. Louis school board in 1865. The name was retained until 1881. Within the Soulard neighborhood, it bore the names of Valle, South, Buel and Menard before 1883. (Downtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman) (Soulard)

TERMINAL ROW (N-S). So named because of its location in the Hall Street truck terminal hive. This street was formerly known as River Road. (Baden-Riverview)

TERRACE AVENUE (N-S). A promotional name that originated in the Rosa Park Subdivision of 1906. (Oak Hill)

TERRY AVENUE (E-W). Named for their family by two brothers, A. O. and L. F. Terry, who headed the Terry Brothers Real Estate Company. They developed Terry Place and the Terry Company subdivisions in 1888-1889. (Arlington) (Grand Prairie)

TESSON COURT and STREET (E W). Named for Louis Tesson, a councilman from the second ward in Carondelet's first city council. His family were early French settlers in the area. The name originally applied to the portion of the street from the wharf to Ivory Avenue west of which it was Motier Street. The Motier section was also named Tesson in 1881. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

TEXAS AVENUE (N S). Generally named for the state of Texas in the subdivision of the St. Louis Commons of 1854, although part of it was named Clara Street until 1881. "Texas" comes from the Caddo Indian word "teyshas," meaning "friends" or "allies." Various Indian tribes used the word to acknowledge their alliances. (Compton Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee)

THATCHER AVENUE (E-W). Laid out in the 1879 Merchant's Bank subdivision of the George Thatcher tract as an acknowledgement of the former land owner. (Baden-Riverview)

THEKLA AVENUE (E-W). In the 1891 subdivision of Harney Heights, it probably memorializes a daughter of the Harney family. "Thekla" originated in the Greek "theocleia," meaning "god-famed." The name is rare in English-speaking countries. (Walnut Park)

THEOBALD STREET (E-W). A Germanic given name meaning "people-bold." In the 1904 subdivision of Walter Place, it was named for a relative of the developer. (Baden-Riverview)

THEODORE AVENUE (E-W). Originating in the 1892 subdivision of Elmwood Park, it honors Theodore F. Chambers, a property owner. (Walnut Park)

THEODOSIA AVENUE (E-W). An heiress of the Lucas family, Theodosia Hunt Patterson, is memorialized by the name of this street. (Arlington) (Grand Prairie)

THERESA AVENUE (N-S). Named for Theresa Paul Taylor, one of the heirs of the Chouteau estate. Originated in the 1854 Subdivision of Section 16 of the St. Louis Commons bearing the name of Ware Avenue for a prominent Unitarian minister. It bore that name until 1895 when it was given its present name. Parts of the street were called McCombs and Wilkinson until 1881. (Compton Hill) (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

THIRD STREET (N S). Known as La Rue des Granges (Barn Street) in colonial St. Louis, this street was renamed Third Street after the Louisiana Purchase. In Soulard, the section between Rutger and Arsenal streets was named Jackson street until 1883. (Baden-Riverview) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman) (Soulard)

THIRTEENTH STREET (N-S). Appeared in the James H. Lucas addition of the early 1840s. The section of the street from Market to Spruce was called Rundlet in John S. Rundlet's addition of 1836, but it was changed to Thirteenth Street in the late 1840s. Downtown, from Lucas to Biddle, it was Fourteenth Street to 1885 and High Street from Biddle to O'Fallon until 1883. Before 1881, some sections of it in the Benton Park area bore the names of Summer, Closey and Morton. In the Soulard neighborhood, this street was named Morton, Summer and Closey at various times before 1883. (Benton Park) (Downtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman) (Soulard)

THIRTY-EIGHTH STREET (N-S). Named Sixteenth Street in the 1858 South St. Louis Suburb by John C. Ivory. It retained that name between Eichelberger and Meramec streets until 1911, when it was renamed 38th Street. (Oak Hill)

THIRTY-NINTH STREET (N-S). When named, it marked the beginning of the thirty-ninth block west of the Mississippi River. Much of the street originally was known as South Vandaventer. It received its present designation in 1910. Named Sixteenth Street in John C. Ivory's 1858 suburb of South St. Louis, it retained that name between Eichelberger and Meramec streets until 1911, when it was renamed Thirty-Ninth Street. A section of the street between Vista and Chouteau avenues was called Tiffany Street until 1926. The name of Tiffany was derived from Louis and P. D. Tiffany, the owners of a tract of land in that vicinity. (Oak Hill) (Shaw)

THIRTY-SEVENTH STREET (N-S). Began as Fourteenth Street in John C. Ivory's South St. Louis suburb of 1855 and was so named until 1911 when it received its present name in the Oak Hill area. (Oak Hill)

THOLOZAN AVENUE (E-W). Named for John S. Tholozan, a member of the Sanguinette Family, and his wife Adele, who owned the large Tholozan tract between Chippewa Street and Tholozan Avenue, extending westward from Grand almost to Kingshighway until her death. The street name of Tholozan first appeared in the McNeil and Hart`s Subdivision of 1860. (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

THOMAS STREET (E-W). Laid out in the 1851 Stoddard Addition, it honors James S. Thomas, mayor of St. Louis from 1864 to 1868, and developer of the Compton Hill Addition. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

THORNBY PLACE (N-S). A private street in the Christian Brothers Subdivision of 1878, it is a shortened form of the name of the town of Thornbury in England. (Cabanne)

THRUSH AVENUE (N-S). Appearing in the 1892 subdivision of Walnut Park, it is named for a bird family noted for their beautiful songs. (Arlington) (Baden-Riverview) (Walnut Park)

THURMAN AVENUE (N-S). For Allen G. Thurman, the vice-presidential candidate with Grover Cleveland in 1888. The developers of Tyler Place named the street for Thurman to gain publicity during the Democratic National Convention held in St. Louis in 1888. The section of Thurman between Magnolia and Shenandoah served as a street car line from the 1890s. (Shaw)

TILDEN AVENUE (N-S). Honored Charles A. Tilden, president of the Tilden Lumber Company, when it appeared in the Boulevard Heights subdivision of 1912. (Morganford)

TILLIE AVENUE (E-W). Named for Tillie Kraft, a female member of the family, it was part of the 1906 subdivision of Kraft Place. (Baden-Riverview)

TOENGES AVENUE (E-W). Probably a variant spelling of "Tong," "fork of river", the name of five different places in England, or from "Tonge", meaning "tongue of land." Platted in the Toenges Subdivision of 1922 and named for the developer. (Morganford)

TOWER GROVE AVENUE (N-S). Named by Henry Shaw after his country estate, "Tower Grove," now on the grounds of the Missouri Botanical Garden. The house was given its name because it had a tower, and it was surrounded by a grove of trees which Shaw turned into a garden. Tower Grove Avenue was the road that Shaw used to reach his estate from the local station of the Pacific Railroad. (Central West End) (Shaw)

TOWER GROVE PLACE (E-W). See explanation for
TOWER GROVE AVENUE (N-S). (Shaw)

TOWNSEND AVENUE (E-W). Named in honor of Jesse Townsend, 19th ward alderman (1985-1991). (Academy-Sherman)

TRAFFORD LANE (N-S). Appearing in the 1890 subdivision of Inglesyde, it was named for Trafford Park, the estate of Sir Humphrey de Trafford, near Manchester, England. (Baden-Riverview)

TRAINOR COURT (N-S). An English family name that appeared in the 1923 South Hurst subdivision. It means "one who came from Trafford (ford on Roman road; ford by a trap), the name of places in Lancashire and Northamptonshire. (Morganford)

TREMONT AVENUE (E-W). Named for Boston's Tremont Street in the Greenwood Subdivision of 1891. (Oakland)

TRUDEAU STREET (E W). Located in the Morrison, Duchouquette, Papin and Picotte Addition of 1839, this street is named in honor of Jean Baptiste Trudeau, the first school master of colonial St. Louis. (Soulard)

TUBMAN LANE (E-W). A street within the bounds of the block delineated by Ninth and Tenth streets and Cass and O'Fallon streets (the street lies within the Cochran Gardens Housing Project). Named for Harriet Tubman (c.1820-1913), American abolitionist and former slave who became a principal "conductor" on the Underground Railroad, leading more than 300 slaves to freedom. (Columbus Square)

TUCKER BOULEVARD (N-S). Mayne Avenue south of Market Street in Rundlet's 1836 addition was renamed Twelfth Street in the 1840s. The Lucas family dedicated the section of the street between Market Street and Washington Avenue to the city in their subdivision of 1844. The street maintains its great width because of the presence at its center of the Lucas Public Market. Its name was changed from Twelfth Street to Twelfth Boulevard in 1932. It became Tucker Boulevard in 1979 in honor of former mayor Raymond R. Tucker. From Lucas to O'Fallon, Twelfth was High Street until 1932. (Downtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman) (Soulard)

TURNER AVENUE (N-S). Appearing in the White Place subdivision of 1859 honors Spencer A. Turner, a relative of the Lucas family and a real estate company owner in 1859. (Fairground)

TWELFTH STREET (N-S). See SOUTH TWELFTH STREET (N-S).

TWENTIETH STREET (N-S). The section of Twentieth Street between Market and Poplar was platted in 1846 as Adolphe Street, named after developer Adolphe Paul. This name survived until 1880 when it was changed to Twentieth. North of Market, it was known by its present name from its inception in the Lucas family subdivision of the early 1850s. Between Lucas and O'Fallon, it was called Twenty-First Street until 1883 and from Eugenia Street to Clark Avenue it was called Tom Street until 1929. In Old North St. Louis, the section from Grand to Linton was called Maria to 1881. (Downtown) (Hyde Park & Bissell - College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

TWENTY-FIFTH STREET (N-S). Originating in the Union Addition of 1850, it was known as Twentieth Street from Cass Avenue to Palm Street until 1883. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

TWENTY-FIRST STREET (N-S). Originally appeared in William Christy's addition of 1842. Between Market Street and Scott Avenue, it was called Mercer Street from the early 1850s until 1880. The Lucas family called it Twenty-first Street from Market Street to St. Charles in their addition of the 1850s. North of Washington Avenue, it was called Twenty-second Street until 1883. In old North St. Louis, a section was known as Kayser Place from Madison to Benton until 1883 and Solomon Avenue from Benton to Branch. Also, until 1883, it was Fifteenth Street from Linton to College until 1886. (Downtown) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

TWENTY-SECOND STREET (N-S). Originated in William Christy's Addition of 1842. Between Market Street and Chouteau Avenue, it was called Noeme Street until 1880. In Old North St. Louis, it was Seventeenth Street from Palm to Angelica until 1883. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

TWENTY-THIRD STREET (E-W). First platted in William Christy's Addition of 1842, it was known as High Street between Market and Papin Streets until 1881. It was Nineteenth Street from Cass Avenue to Hebert Street until 1883. (Hyde Park & Bissell- College Hill) (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

TYLER STREET (E-W). When it appeared in William C. Christy's Addition to North St. Louis of 1842, it commemorates Robert Tyler who married Mary Lawrence Chambers, the daughter of the developer of Chambers, Christy and Wright's Town of North St. Louis of 1816. It was known as Webster Street from the wharf to Tenth Street until 1881. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

TYROLEAN AVENUE (E-W). In the Austria Heights subdivision of 1906, it was named for the province of Tyrol in the Austrian Alps. (Morganford) (Southwest)

TYUS COURT (E-W). Named for Leroy Tyus, who was a state representative 1950-1958 and 20th ward committeeman for 23 years. (Academy-Sherman)

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS