ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
R - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

RABENBERG PLACE (E-W). Originated as Marie Street in the 1886 amended plat of Ellendale and received the name of Rabenberg in 1925 for a relative of the developer. (Oakland)

RACE COURSE AVENUE (E-W). This street marks the southern boundary of the grounds of the Laclede Race Course Association's race track. The track opened in 1866 and closed in 1869 when it was subdivided as part of McRee City. (Shaw)

RADOM AVENUE (N-S). First appeared in the Boulevard Heights subdivision of 1912, it borrows its designation from the city of Radom in Poland. (Morganford)

RAFORD COURT. (E-W). Raford originated in England as "one who came from Rufford (rough river crossing), the name of places in Lancashire, Nottinghamshire, and the West Riding of Yorkshire; or from Rofford (Hroppa's ford) in Oxfordshire." In the 1961 Walsh subdivision. (Baden-Riverview)

RAILROAD AVENUE (E-W). See EAST RAILROAD AVENUE (E-W) and WEST RAILROAD AVENUE (E-W).

RAINOR COURT (E-W). Apparently a variant spelling of the German name "Rainer," from the German, and meaning one who lived on a ridge or at the edge of a field. It appeared in the Granbury Place subdivision of 1955. (Morganford)

RANDALL PLACE (N-S). In the 1873 subdivision of Bissell's Park, it was named in 1934 in honor of Doctor Edward Randall, a former alderman. Until then it was known as Fourteenth Street. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

RANDALL STREET (E-W). Originated in the subdivision of Lot G in Field's Subdivision of 1877, but it bore no name until 1892, when it was named Randall, probably for an adjacent property owner. The name is English, meaning a "descendant of Randal or Randwulf (shield, wolf)." (Oak Hill)

RANKEN AVENUE (N-S). Honored the late David Ranken, owner of the property. It was laid out in the third subdivision of the Ranken Estate in 1867. The section of the street between Chouteau Avenue and Caroline Street was known as Thomas Street until 1887. (Midtown)

RAUSCHENBACH AVENUE (N-S). In the Union Addition of 1850, it was named for an official of the city street department in the 1870s. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

RAY AVENUE (N-S). Named for Frederick Ray of the Ray and Woods Real Estate Company in the 1905 Newport Heights Subdivision. (Morganford) (Oak Hill)

RAYMOND AVENUE (E-W). Appearing in the 1893 Raymond Place Subdivision, it was named for the developer, the Raymond Place Real Estate Company. Earlier it was known as Cook Avenue between Kingshighway and Union until 1895. (Cabanne)

REBER PLACE (E-W). A veneration of Samuel Reber, a lawyer who was a judge in the Court of Common Pleas, in the 1871 subdivision of St. Louis Heights. (Clifton) (The Hill)

RED BUD AVENUE (E-W & N-S). Platted in Benjamin O'Fallon's subdivision east of Bellefontaine Road of 1873, it was named for the Red Bud or Judas trees and shrubs with rose flowers in spring. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

RED FEATHER EXPRESS HIGHWAY (E-W). Interstate Highway 40 was first known as the Express Highway. In the late 1940s, at the urging of the Community Chest (precursor of the United Way), the name was changed to the Red Feather Express Highway (a red feather was the symbol of the Community Chest). It was almost named the General Patton Highway because an alderman thought that Red Feather sounded too communistic.

RED MAPLE WALK (E-W). Named for the tree, a variety of the maple family. The red maple (also known as the Scarlet or Swamp Maple) has red flowers in the spring and red leaves in the fall. Its wood is used commercially for lumber. (Midtown)

REDD FOXX LANE (N-S). When Spring Avenue was realigned for constructon of the Cochran Veterans Hospital, a small remainder of the street was named West Spring Avenue. In 1973 it was renamed in honor of black comedian Redd Foxx (originally John Sandford), a native St. Louisan. (Grand Prairie)

REGAL PLACE (N-S). So named for its location in the Regal Place Subdivision (1889). In spite of its royal status, "regal" has not been a popular place name in the United States or the remainder of the world. (The Hill) (Southwest)

REILLY AVENUE (N S). At first called
Benton Street for Senator Thomas Hart Benton. Its title was changed in 1882 because it conflicted with Benton Street in north St. Louis. It was renamed Reilly avenue to honor a prominent Irish settler in Carondelet. (Carondelet)

REPERTORY WALK (N-S). "Repertory" is a term used to describe a theater company that presents several performances of its productions regularly or in alternate sequence in one season. (Midtown)

REV. GEORGE H. PRUITT PLACE (N-S). This street was named to honor the black clergyman who was for many years pastor at Pleasant Green Baptist Church (he was first appointed pastor there in 1939). (Lewis Place)

REV. T. E. HUNTLEY AVENUE (N-S). See
T. E. HUNTLEY AVENUE (N-S).

RHODES AVENUE (E-W). Located in the Hermann Heights First Addition of 1913, it was originally named Kansas Street until 1929. Between Gardenville Avenue and Kingshighway, it was renamed in honor of Cecil John Rhodes (1853-1902), British statesman and capitalist who made his fortune in diamond mines in South Africa and founded the Rhodes Scholarship program. (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

RICHARD PLACE (N-S) Opened in the 1914 Bryan Park subdivision, it probably was named for a male member of the Bryan family. Richard originated in the German with the meaning "strong-ruler." (Fairground)

RICHERT PLACE (N-S). "Richert" is the Flemish form of "Richard." Platted in the private subdivision of Richert Place in 1911, but appearing previously as an unnamed street on maps dating back to 1878. (Oakland)

RIDGE AVENUE (E-W). Originally named Miller Avenue in Lucas and Hunt's Addition to Cote Brilliante of 1875. In 1881, it received its present promotional name signifying a route along a ridge line. (Cabanne)

RIDGEWOOD AVENUE (N-S). In the 1910 Ellenwood Park First Addition, it was named for the ridge along the right-of-way and for the prevailing woods in the vicinity. (Oak Hill)

RIO SILVA PLACE (N-S). Spanish name the English equivalent of which would be "Riverwood." (Carondelet)

RIO TINTO PLACE (N-S). Spanish name which roughly translated means "wine-colored river." (Carondelet)

RIPPLE STREET (N-S). First appeared as Spring Street in Henry F. Gratiot's Subdivision of 1870. It received its present name in 1881 under a major city street renaming ordinance to clarify postal addresses. (Oakland)

RIVER BLUFF PLACE (E W). Originally called Delor Court in the River Bluff subdivision of 1921. The street received its present name in 1953. (Marquette-Cherokee)

RIVER DES PERES DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park named for the River Des Peres Lagoon. (Kingsbury)

RIVER DES PERES PARKWAY (E-W). Winding through the River des Peres Park, it parallels the edge of the drainage canal. Planned as part of the park's development in the 1920s, it was called Des Peres Drive from Kingshighway Southwest to Alma Avenue until 1928. The name translates as "River of the Fathers." (Morganford) (Southwest)

RIVER FRONT DRIVE (N-S). This street is named for its close proximity to the Mississippi River. (North Riverfront)

RIVER ROAD (N-S). See TERMINAL ROW (N-S).

RIVER RUN COURT (E-W). Named for its close proximity to the Mississippi River. (Baden-Riverview)

RIVERMONT DRIVE (E-W). Appeared as a street in the 1917 Riverview Gardens subdivision where it was known as Circle Drive until 1940. (Baden-Riverview)

RIVERTRAIL COURT (N-S). Named for its close proximity to the Mississippi River. (Baden-Riverview)

RIVERVIEW BOULEVARD and DRIVE (N-S). Known as Columbia Bottom Road from Broadway to the north city limits until 1911. The street is named for the riverine vista between Baden and the Chain of Rocks. In the Walnut Park area, it was named Tracy Road until 1907 and Kingshighway Northwest until 1925. (Arlington) (Baden-Riverview) (Walnut Park)

ROBERT AVENUE (E W). Designated as T Street in the town of Carondelet but renamed Taylor Street in 1854 to honor President Zachary Taylor. From the wharf to Virginia Avenue it retained this designation until 1882 when it was renamed Robert Street. The term "street" gave way to "avenue" in 1891. The title commemorates Louis Robert, member of a pioneer French family in Carondelet. (Carondelet) (Morganford) (Southwest)

ROBERTS AVENUE (E-W). Located in the 1908 Roberts Place private subdivsion, it honors developer, W. Earle Roberts, of the C. D. Gregg Tea and Coffee Company. (Oakland)

ROBIN AVENUE (N-S). It was named for a migratory bird of the thrush family, noted for its red breast, when it appeared in the 1892 subdivision of Walnut Park, (Baden-Riverview) (Walnut Park)

ROGER PLACE (N-S). "Roger" is a common, old name in many Germanic languages, "composed of elements meaning `fame' and `spear'." First opened in the 1890 Russell Place Subdivision, it was known as Russell Place until 1941 when it received its present name, probably for a member of the Russell family. (Oak Hill)

ROLLA PLACE (N-S). Laid out in the North Chouteau Place subdivision of 1905, it was named for Rolla Wells, mayor of St. Louis from 1901 to 1909. (Fairground)

ROMAINE PLACE (E-W). The name is an English variant of the word Roman. Appearing in P. P. Green's Subdivision of 1906, it is named for the Romaine Investment Company. (Cabanne)

ROOSEVELT PLACE (E-W). This street appeared in the 1904 Goodfellow Park subdivision to honor Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), president of the United States from 1901 to 1909. (Arlington)

ROSA AVENUE (E-W). The name, the Latin form of "Rose." appeared in the Rosa Park subdivision of 1906. Part of it, between Ray and Carlsbad avenues was Schoenlau Avenue until 1936. (Morganford) (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

ROSALIE AVENUE (E-W). Laid out in the O'Fallon Estate subdivision of 1870 and again in E. Carter Hutchinson's First Addition in the Shreve Tracts of 1882, it was named in honor of Rosalie Saugrain, wife of Henry Von Phul. It is the French form of Rosalia, the name of a 12th-century Italian saint. It was Newstead Avenue from Bircher to Marcus until 1893. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Walnut Park)

ROSEBURY AVENUE (E-W). A variant spelling of "Roseberry," English or Scottish for "one who came from Roseberry (Othinn's hill), in the North Riding of Yorkshire." "Dweller on, or near, a hill where roses grew." Used to name this street in the De Mun Park apartment subdivision of 1923. (Kingsbury)

ROSEDALE AVENUE (N-S). English for "one who came from Rosedale (horse valley), in the North Riding of Yorkshire." Originated in the 1886 subdivision of Rosedale, north of Delmar on the Wabash Railroad. (Cabanne) (Kingsbury)

ROSWELL AVENUE (E-W). Named for Roswell Field, brother of the poet, Eugene Field, in a subdivision developed by their father, Roswell M. Field. (Morganford)

ROWAN AVENUE (N-S). Appearing in the 1905 subdivision of Rinkel's Grove, it bears the middle name of former Missouri governor Hamilton Rowan Gamble, the early land owner. (Cabanne)

RUSH PLACE (N-S). A fairly common name that shows up in English, Swedish and Swiss, for a "dweller near a clump of rushes; dweller near an elm tree; an excitable person." Originated in the private Northern Central subdivision of 1892 was named for the developer who was associated with the Northern Central Street Railway Company. (Fairground)

RUSKIN AVENUE (N-S). Laid out in the 1891 subdivision of Harney Heights, it was named for John Ruskin (1819-1900), an English author who was a critic on architecture and social reform. It was named Calvary Avenue until 1916. (Walnut Park)

RUSSELL AVENUE and BOULEVARD (E-W). After the death of Ann Russell Allen, this street was named by her family, who were the developers of a subdivison on her land in the Petite Prairie Common Field east of the Shaw neighborhood. Ann's father, William E. Russell, was a prominent St. Louis land speculator and real estate owner during the early-19th century. Between California and Grand Avenues, this street was named Pontiac Street until 1874. A section of Russell from the Riverfront to Broadway was called Picotte until that street was renamed in 1881. (Benton Park) (Compton Hill) (Shaw) (Soulard)

RUTGER LANE and STREET (E W). Although the name was misspelled, this street was named for Arend Rutgers, an early German settler in St. Louis. His name appears on St. Louis street maps as early as 1842. (Lafayette Square) (Midtown) (Shaw) (Soulard)

RUTH C. PORTER MALL. Named to honor a tireless crusader for fair housing laws. Ms. Porter was at one time Director of the Kinloch YMCA, and was a founder of the Greater St. Louis Committee for Freedom of Residence. The mall is located at Delmar and DeBaliviere. (Skinker-DeBaliviere)

RUTH DRIVE (N-S). An Old Testament Biblical name, which possibly meant "companion." Part of the Holly Hills Gardens subdivision of 1949. (Morganford)

RYAN TERRACE (N-S). A new name for Wagner Terrace applied to it in 1953. Ryan is an Irish name, meaning "grandson of Rian (little king)". (Cabanne)

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS