ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
P - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

PACIFIC AVENUE (N-S). Located in the 1865 McRee, Wenger and Sommers Addition of 1865, it was named because it paralleled the Pacific Railroad for a short distance. (Midtown)

PAGE BOULEVARD (E-W). One of the city's most prominent east-west thoroughfares, it is named for Daniel D. Page, the second mayor of St. Louis who served from 1829 to 1832. Making his fortune in the milling business and banking, Page acquired considerable real estate in the vicinity of this street. A principal booster of St. Louis railroads during the 1850s, Page invested much of his fortune to forge rail contacts between St. Louis and the East. (Cabanne) (Grand Prairie) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

PALM STREET (E-W). Originated in the Louis A. Benoist addition of 1842, it honors William Palm who established a locomotive building company in St. Louis and served on the City Council from 1849 to 1851. This street was known as Alsace Avenue from Marcus to Kingshighway until 1926. In Hyde Park, it was Davis Street from Eleventh to Glasgow and Lee Avenue from Glasgow to Prairie, both until 1881. (Arlington) (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell -College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

PAMPLIN AVENUE AND PLACE (N-S). Pamplin Place was laid out first, in the 1920 A. B. Finch private subdivision. From Pamplin City, Virginia, a small town east and slightly south of Lynchburg. Pamplin Avenue appeared a year later, in the 1921 North Pointe Addition. (Walnut Park)

PAPIN STREET (E-W). Named for the family of Joseph Marie Papin, who married the second daughter of St. Louis founder Pierre Laclede. Papin's father was one of the village's first settlers. This street name first appeared on an official map dated 1835. Between Tenth and Eleventh Street, it was known as Orchard Street until 1863. The block west to Twelfth Street maintained this name until 1873. (Central West End) (Downtown) (Midtown)

PARIS AVENUE (N-S) First appeared in the 1903 Ashland Hill Addition was named for Julius B. Paris, an insurance and real estate man. (Fairground)

PARK AVENUE (E W). Originated in the Lafayette Square neighborhood. It received its name in 1836 when Lafayette Park was set aside for public use in the division of the St. Louis Commons. It borders the park on its north side. Its intersection with Thirty-ninth, in front of the former Bi-State Transit Administration Building, was the scene of a violent riot during a strike by the city's street car workers in 1900. (Compton Hill) (Lafayette Square) (Midtown) (Shaw) (Soulard)

PARK HAMPTON COURT (N-S). So named for its proximity to HAMPTON AVENUE (N-S). (Southwest)

PARK LANE (N-S). Opened in the Inglesyde subdivision of 1890, it took the name of a fashionable street in London, which borders aristocratic Mayfair. This street was named Butler Avenue between Garesche and Shulte until 1931. (Baden-Riverview) (Walnut Park)

PARK RIDGE DRIVE (E-W) and (N-S). See PARKRIDGE DRIVE (E-W) and (N-S).

PARK ROAD (E-W). This diagonal street paralleling the Wabash Railroad right-of-way between Lindell and Union was platted in the Forest Park Addition of 1888. (Central West End)

PARK VIEW DRIVE and PLACE. (E-W). See PARKVIEW DRIVE and PLACE (E-W).

PARKER AVENUE (E-W). Honored George Ward Parker, who was a partner of James Russell in the Parker-Russell Mining and Manufacturing Company. He was the husband of Rusella Lucy Russell, daughter of James Russell. It was platted in Lucy Bent Russell's subdivision of 1884. (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

PARKLAND PLACE (N-S). Named to suggest a park-like setting in Martin's private subdivision of 1894. (Cabanne)

PARKRIDGE DRIVE (E-W) and (N-S). Platted in the 1955 Al-Clare Meadows subdivision, it follows a route along a ridge that overlooks River des Peres Park. (Morganford)

PARKVIEW DRIVE and PLACE (E-W). In the Audubon Place Subdivision of 1885, it was named later because of its vista of nearby Forest Park. From Euclid to Kingshighway, it was called Barnes Avenue until 1894 and Duncan Avenue from 1894 to 1902. (Central West End)

PARKWAY DRIVE (N-S). A subdivision promotional name in the 1917 Riverview Gardens subdivision, so called for its proximity to Chain of Rocks Park. (Baden-Riverview)

PARKWAY LANE (E-W). Named by the developer in the 1950 Parkway Gardens Subdivision. (Southwest)

PARKWOOD DRIVE and STREET (N-S). First appeared in the Parkwood subdivision of 1922. (Morganford)

PARKWOOD PLACE (N-S). Named for the subdivision in which it is located. (Morganford)

PARNELL STREET (N-S). Laid out in the Union Addition of 1850, it honors Charles Stewart Parnell (1846-1891), Irish nationalist leader. It was Twenty-first Street from Warren to Hebert until 1883. In Hyde Park, it was Twenty-first Street from Warren to Hebert until 1883. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

PARTRIDGE AVENUE (N-S). This is the name of a whole variety of hen-like game birds including ruffled grouse and bobwhite. (Arlington) (Baden-Riverview) (Walnut Park)

PATTISON AVENUE (E-W). Platted in the 1868 subdivision of Fairmount Heights and named for Everett W. Pattison, a partner in the law firm of Pattison and Colby. (The Hill)

PATTON AVENUE (E-W). Named for John D. Patton, the developer of the J.D. Patton's subdivision of 1890. (Arlington)

PAUL STREET (N S). This street, extending from Chouteau Avenue south to Hickory Street, was named to honor Rene Paul, a surveyor who in l822 was named St. Louis' first city engineer. He surveyed the first official map of the city in l825. (Soulard)

PAULIAN PLACE (E-W). In the Christian Brothers College subdivision of 1905, it commemorates Saint Paul. (Arlington)

PEABODY COURT (E-W). Possibly named for Helen Peabody, who was first president and co-founder of the first Chautauqua circle in St. Louis (1883). (Lafayette Square)

PEARL AVENUE (N-S). The word "pearl" began to be used as a feminine name in the 1850s after Nathaniel Hawthorne popularized it for the daughter of Hester in The Scarlet Letter. It showed up as a street name in the 1892 platting of the St. Aloysius Subdivision of the Cooper Tract. (The Hill)

PECK STREET (N-S). Honors Charles H. Peck, an architect associated with George Ingham Barnett, Director of Merchants' and Manufacturers Exchange and Library, the Pacific Railroad and the Lindell Hotel. Appeared in George Bailey's First Addition of 1863. (Fairground)

PEGGY COURT (E-W). In the 1964 subdivision of Peggy Court, it is originated as a pet form of "Margaret," changing first to "Maggie," then "Meggie." (Baden-Riverview)

PELHAM AVENUE (N-S). Originating in the 1868 P.R. Kenrick Addition to Baden, it honors Henry Pelham (1695-1754), prime minister of Great Britain in the mid-eighteenth century. It was known as Terrence Avenue from
Bittner Street to the north line of P.R. Kenrick's Addition to Baden until 1882. (Baden-Riverview)

PENDLETON AVENUE and PENDLETON WAY (N-S). Named by Nathaniel Pendleton Taylor, who chose to use his middle name which also is a prominent family name from colonial Virgina (for more information, see also TAYLOR AVENUE). (Central West End) (Grand Prairie)

PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE (N S). This name was coined by King Charles II as meaning "Penn's Woods" for his grant to William Penn in 1681. In the platting of the St. Louis Commons in 1854, the name honored the state of Pennsylvania. Designated as Second Street from Catalan Street to the south line of Section 9 in Carondelet until 1883, then renamed for the state of Pennsylvania. (Carondelet) (Compton Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee)

PENROSE STREET (E-W) Appeared in Bissell's Second Addition of 1852, it honors Clement B. Penrose (1797-1824), who was appointed by President Jefferson to adjudicate land claims in the Upper Louisiana Territory. During his residence in St. Louis, he came to own extensive property holdings in the area of this street. In Hyde Park, it was Augusta Street from First Street to Broadway to 1881. (Arlington) (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell- College Hill)

PERNOD AVENUE (E-W). The north line of Survey 2035 in the Gratiot League Square, it appeared on maps as early as 1856. It was known as Pernod Road from Kingshighway to Watson Road until 1893. It was named for Aime R. Pernod (1783-1872), early owner of the tract which became the Ivanhoe Park Subdivision. (Southwest)

PERSHING AVENUE (E-W). Originally appeared as Berlin Avenue between Taylor and Kingshighway in Nathan Coleman's 1871 subdivision. In 1910, it was named Berlin Avenue from Union to De Baliviere and from east of Laurel Street to the city limits. It received its present name in 1918 during the patriotic fervor during World War I, when it honored General John J. Pershing. Before 1910, this street was De Giverville Avenue from Union to DeBaliviere in the old Kingsbury tract. (Central West End) (Kingsbury)

PESTALOZZI STREET (E W). Named to honor Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi (l746 l827), a Swiss educational reformer whose theory and methods laid the foundations for modern elementary education. Between Minnesota and Compton Avenues, it was named Wacousta Street until 1882. (Benton Park) (Compton Hill) (Soulard)

PHILLIPS AVENUE and PLACE (E-W). Originated in the Phillips Addition of 1857 and named for Adelle Phillips, a niece of Mrs. Adele Tholozan, owner of a large adjacent tract. (Oak Hill)

PICADILLY AVENUE (N-S). Named for the famed Picadilly Circus and Picadilly Row in London. It first appeared in the Greenwood Subdivision of 1891. (Oakland) (Southwest)

PICKER STREET (E W). First appearing in the Trium Addition of l855, Picker is an Anglicized version of the French name Picotte. (Soulard)

PIEDMONT AVENUE (N S). Derived from the Italian "piemonte" meaning uplands or foot hills. The name of this street commem orated a highland area of North Carolina. Between Chippewa and Gasconade streets, it was titled Jefferson Avenue until 1883. (Marquette-Cherokee)

PIERCE AVENUE (N-S). Created as a street in Crapster's subdivision of 1866, one of its sections between Wilson and Manchester was known as Washington until 1891. The section of the thoroughfare north of Manchester was named in 1888 to honor Henry Clay Pierce, vice-president of the Waters-Pierce Oil Company. (Oakland)

PINE STREET (E-W). In colonial times, Pine was known as Rue Quicapou (Kickapoo) after the Indian tribe. It was called North "B" Street from 1821 to 1826 and acquired its present name in the latter year as part of the general city revision of street names to coincide with trees. (Downtown) (Midtown)

PITZMAN AVENUE (E-W). Honors Julius Pitzman, the famed St. Louis surveyor and civil engineer, in the 1870 subdivision of the John J. O'Fallon estate. (Baden-Riverview)

PLAINVIEW AVENUE (E-W). Named by the Willmore Organization in the 1930 St. Louis Hills 2 addition. "Plainview" has been used before as a place name as in Plainview, New York, and Plainview, Texas. (Southwest)

PLANNED INDUSTRIAL DRIVE (N-S). So named for both for its location in an industrial area and for the desire of its planners to attract more industries to North St. Louis. (Mark Twain I-70)

PLATEAU AVENUE (E-W). The label originated in the Glades Subdivision of 1852 and describes the street's plateau-like situation. One section of the street was known as Hill Road until 1882. (Oakland)

PLAZA DRIVE (N-S). Founded in the Berlin Place Subdivision of 1916, it was developed as an apartment subdivision in the mid 1920s. The name was meant to convey the aura of an urbane open space. (Central West End)

PLEASANT STREET (N-S). Located in George Bailey's First Addition of 1863, it was named for the attractive scenery at its location. (Fairground)

PLOVER AVENUE (N-S). Oraginating in the 1892 Walnut Park subdivision, it was named after a small shore bird related to gulls. (Arlington) (Walnut Park)

PLUM STREET (E-W). Originally called South "G" Street in 1821, it was renamed Plum in 1826 as part of the general scheme of adopting tree names for streets. (Downtown)

PLYMOUTH AVENUE (E-W). In the 1871 subdivision of Rose Hill, it was originally known as Caroline Avenue until 1881, when it was renamed for the city of Plymouth in Devonshire, England. (Cabanne)

POEPPING STREET (E W) Venerates Bernhard Poepping who was elected mayor of Carondelet in 1859. The section of the thoroughfare from the wharf to Alabama Avenue was given the name of Poepping in 1854. West of Alabama it was known as Mallett Street until 1881. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

POINCIANA BOULEVARD (E-W). "Poinciana" is a name for any shrub or small tree having showy orange or scarlet leaves. (Boulevard Heights)

POLK STREET (N S). Originally named for Henry Clay, but in 188l it was changed to recognize Trusten Polk, a lawyer and Missouri governor who became a U. S. Senator. Polk was expelled from Congress in the late 1850s because of his sympathy for the Confederacy. (Carondelet)

POMONA COURT (E-W). Platted in the Pomona Addition of 1942 and named after the subdivision. Named either for Pomona, California, to take advantage of the growing residential popularity of the West Coast, or for "Pomona," the Greek goddess of fruit trees. (Oak Hill)

PONCE AVENUE (E-W). Appearing in the Merchants' First subdivision of 1898, it honors Juan Ponce de Leon (1460-1521), the Spanish explorer who discovered Florida in 1513 while searching for the Fountain of Youth. (Baden-Riverview)

POPE AVENUE (E-W & N-S) Honored Doctor Charles A. Pope, the founder of Pope's Medical College. Married to Caroline O'Fallon, Pope was a son-in-law of Colonel John O'Fallon. The name appeared in Benjamin O'Fallon's 1873 subdivision east of Bellefontaine Road. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

POPLAR STREET (E-W). Called South "F" Street from 1821, it was renamed Poplar as part of the general street name ordinance of 1826 which, following the custom of Philadelphia, adopted names of trees for local streets. (Downtown)

PORTIS AVENUE (N-S). Commemorates Thomas J. Portis, an attorney for the Missouri Pacific Railroad in the 1880s. His son, Thomas G. Portis, married Sue Russell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles S. Russell, and eventually became a partner in the Parker-Russell Mining and Manufacturing Company. Originated in the Gartside's Subdivision of the Prairie des Noyers in 1889. Between Arsenal and Connecticut streets, it was Neggeman Avenue until 1891. (Oak Hill) (Shaw)

PORTLAND PLACE (E-W). In the Forest Park Addition of 1888, it echoes the name of a London street leading to Regent's Park. Laid out by the Adam brothers in 1775 and retained by John Nash in the Regent Street route. (Central West End)

PORTLAND TERRACE (N-S). Seen first in the 1939 Portland Terrace subdivision, its name harkens to an urban district in Dorsetshire, England. (Baden-Riverview)

POTOMAC STREET (E-W). Named after the Potomac River in the St. Louis Commons subdivision of 1854. Potomac is an Indian word recorded as Potawameak by John Smith in 1608. Its meaning is "where goods are brought in." It was Scudder Avenue from Grand to Gustine until 1881. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

POWDER STREET (N-S). Located in J.G. Bryan's Second Addition of 1865, it was so named because of its proximity to a green powder works. It was Randolph Street from Grand to Adelaide and Main Street between Adelaide and Luther, both until 1881. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

POWERS AVENUE (E-W). Of English and Irish origin, "Powers" is "the poor man, a pauper; one who who has taken a vow of poverty." Laid out in Kroeger's subdivision of 1909. (Arlington)

PRAGUE AVENUE (N-S). This street was named for the city of Prague, capital of Czechoslovakia, when it was laid out in the 1929 subdivision of St. Louis Hills Number One. (Southwest)

PRAIRIE AVENUE (N-S) The name of Prairie Avenue appears on old maps as early as the 1850s, apparently as a recognition of the good pasture land in the old Grand Prairie common fields. It originated in Page and McPherson's suburban lots subdivision of 1851. (Fairground) (Grand Prairie) (Hyde Park & Bissell- College Hill)

PRANGE AVENUE (E-W). Venerated Frederick W. Prange, president of the Bremen Bank, when it appeared in the 1905 subdivision of Union Avenue Heights. (Walnut Park)

PRATHER AVENUE (N-S). Honors James V. Prather, an early land owner in the Glades area. It was named in the 1871 subdivision of the Prather estate. (Oak Hill) (Oakland) (Southwest)

PRESCOTT AVENUE (N-S). In the 1870 Harlem subdivision, it honors William Hickling Prescott (1796-1859), American historian and author known chiefly for his histories of Mexico and Peru. (Baden-Riverview) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

PRESERVATION PLACE (E-W) Appeared in both the 1983-85 O'Fallon Place townhouse development and in the McCormack, Baron & Associates development. Along with Cochran Place, the streets run east and west of Sixteenth Street, north of O'Fallon Street and south of Cass Avenue. Preservation Place honors the historic preservation movement in St. Louis. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

PRESIDENT STREET (E W) Originally called Haren Street from the wharf to Broadway in the 1851 Addition to St. Ange by La Beaume, Dillon and Haren. The present name was adopted by city ordinance in 1881. (Marquette-Cherokee)

PRESTON PLACE (N S). Preston Place was platted in the Lafayette Addition of l859. It probably was named for the family of Francis Preston Blair, Jr. (l82l l875), which owned land in the area. Francis, a Missouri political leader and a Union general in the Civil War, served as United States Senator from Missouri in l87l l873. His brother, Montgomery, was the owner and developer of Benton Place. (Lafayette Square)

PRIMM STREET and LANE (E W). Pays homage to Judge Wilson Primm (1810 1875), who moved to Carondelet following the 1849 fire and cholera epidemics in St. Louis. An able lawyer, Primm gave freely of his talent to his new hometown and became one of its outstanding citizens. Initially, Primm Street extended from the wharf to Ivory Avenue; west of that it was called St. Denis Street. The latter section was renamed Primm in 1881. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

PRINTZ AVENUE and COURT (N-S). First appeared in the Dixie Place subdivision of 1905, it was named for Arthur G. Printz, a real estate dealer and insurance agent. Printz Court was platted in the Holly Hills Gardens subdivision of 1949. (Morganford)

PRODUCE ROW (N-S). A newly built relocation of the old Commission Row extending from North Market Street to Branch, it opened in the 1950s. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

PROSPECT AVENUE (N-S). In the Fourth subdivision of the Ranken Estate of 1868, so named because of a fine view seen from its elevated locale. (Midtown)

PROSPECT GROVE (N-S). Named for the fine view from its elevated location in the 1894 Burke's Subdivision of Prospect Hill. (Baden-Riverview)

PROVENCHERE PLACE (E W). Formerly an alley in Provenchere's Addition of 1866, it was named 20 years later to honor Jean Louis Provenchere, who early in St. Louis history owned land in the area. (Benton Park)

PROVIDENCE PLACE (E W). Known as Knapstein Place in Knapstein's Subdivision of 1916, its present name was adopted in 1918 during the World War I anti German hysteria. (Marquette-Cherokee)

PRUITT, REV. GEORGE H. PLACE (N-S). See
REV. GEORGE H. PRUITT PLACE (N-S).

PULASKI STREET (E W). Named Hiawatha Street between Compton and Virginia in the Virginia Heights subdivision of 1902. Five years later the street was christened Pulaski to honor Casimir Pulaski (1718 1779), a Polish-born officer in the French Army who was killed in the Battle of Savannah during the American Revolution. (Marquette-Cherokee)

PUTNAM STREET (N S). Named Fifth Street in the James M. Thomas subdivision of 1871. In 1883, it was renamed to honor the Putnam family which owned the property through which the street was opened. (Marquette-Cherokee)

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS