ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
O - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

OAK COURT (N-S). Named for the oak tree in the private 1906 subdivision of Oak Court. (Cabanne)

OAK HILL AVENUE (N-S). Harkens back to the 432-acre Oak Hill tract of James Russell which is shown bearing that name on maps dating back to 1875. It was officially platted in the Oak Hill Improvement Company Subdivision of 1889. (Oak Hill)

OAK STREET (N-S). In Bissell's Second Addition of 1852, it was named for the oak tree. (Hyde Park & Bissell- College Hill)

OAKHERST PLACE (E-W). Derived from an old English name for a knoll or hillock of oak trees. Laid out initially in the Oak Court subdivision of 1906, it was called Woodland Place from Oakley to Amherst until 1930. (Cabanne)

OAKLAND AVENUE (E-W). Running along the southern edge of Forest Park, the street recognizes the large number of oak trees in the adjacent public space. Between Newstead Avenue and Kingshighway it was called Park Avenue until 1893 and Rutger Street from 1893 to 1913. (Central West End) (Oakland) (Shaw)

OAKLEY PLACE (N-S). Named for the private Oakley Place subdivision of 1906. It is derived from an old English place name for an oak leigh or oak wood. (Cabanne)

OAKVIEW PLACE (N-S). Sited in the Oakland Park Subdivision of 1924, it was named for its vista of the oak trees in nearby Forest Park. (Oakland)

OBEAR AVENUE (E-W & N-S). Appearing in the John Gano Bryan Estate Second subdivision of 1865, it was named for Josiah H. Obear, Bryan's son-in-law and a real estate dealer. It was known as Elizabeth Street from Kossuth to Penrose until 1881. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

ODELL STREET (E-W). Honors Henry R. Odell, superintendent of the St. Louis Bagging and Rope Factory at Fourtheenth and Papin streets. It was laid out in the 1871 subdivision of St. Louis Heights. (Clifton) (The Hill) (Oakland)

O'FALLON STREET (E-W). Located in Mrs. Ann Biddle's Addition of 1840, it was named for the wealthy St. Louis banker, civic leader and land owner, Colonel John O'Fallon, who was notable in the building of St. Louis railroads. This street was known as Lisa Street from the wharf to Broadway until 1843. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

OHIO AVENUE (N-S). This street was named for the state of Ohio under a policy of the subdividers of the St. Louis Commons of 1854, requiring north-south streets to be named after states of the Union. The Iroquois Indians used this name to mean "fine river." (Compton Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Midtown)

OLEATHA AVENUE (E-W). Had its origin in the 1880s when developer Sam P. Rathell asked his wife, Oleatha, to choose names for the streets in their subdivision, Lindenwood. She named this one after herself in the 1880s. (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

OLIVE LANE (E-W). See OLIVE STREET ROAD and OLIVE LANE (E-W).

OLIVE STREET (E-W). Did not receive its first official name until 1821 when it was called North "C" Street. Five years later the city named it for the olive tree, the small evergreen native to the Mediterranean region. West of Eighteenth Street, it was called the Olive Street Plank Road during the 1850s. (Central West End) (Downtown) (Midtown)

OLIVE STREET ROAD and OLIVE LANE (E-W). An extension of Olive Street in St. Louis, the names are derived from the olive tree. (Cabanne)

ORCHID AVENUE (E-W). Named for the flowering tropical plant in the 1940 subdivision of West Veronica Park. It was known as Vessel Avenue until 1935. (Baden-Riverview)

OREGON AVENUE (N-S). Named for the Oregon Territory during 1854 under a policy of naming north-south streets in the St. Louis Commons after states or territories. Oregon was admitted to the Union as a state in 1859. (Compton Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee)

OREGON PLACE (N-S). Northernmost extension of OREGON AVENUE (see explanation for
OREGON AVENUE (N-S) ). (Lafayette Towne)

ORIOLE AVENUE (N-S). Laid out in the Walnut Park subdivision of 1892, it was named for a member of the meadowlark family. Its best known example is the Baltimore oriole. (Baden-Riverview) (Walnut Park)

OSAGE STREET (E W). Derived from an Indian tribal name of "Ouchage," later Anglicized to "Osage." Received its name under the Commons subdivision policy of naming east west streets for Indian tribes. (Marquette-Cherokee)

OSCEOLA STREET (E W). The personal name of the Seminole Indian chief Osceola in the early-19th century. The street was named for him in the St. Louis Commons Subdivision in the 1850s. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill)

OUIDA AVENUE (N-S). A pseudonym of Maria Louise de la Ramee' (1839-1908), a prolific English novelist, which appeared in the 1870 Harlem subdivision. It was Sixth Street from Pope to Morin until 1881. (Baden-Riverview) (Hyde Park & Bissell - College Hill)

OXFORD AVENUE (N-S). Named in the Greenwood Subdivision of 1891, it pays tribute to Oxford, England. (Oakland)

OXFORD LANE (N-S). Named for the county seat of Oxfordshire, England, the seat of the famed and celebrated Oxford University. The name showed up first in the 1890 subdivision of Inglesyde. (Baden-Riverview)

OZARK EXPRESSWAY HIGHWAY (N-S). Original name for INTERSTATE HIGHWAY 55 (N-S).

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS