ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
O - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

OAK GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH [Berean Missionary Baptist] (African-American) 1928
2827 Cass Ave. [1940-1955] 2809 Howard [1935]
2217 Chouteau, Rev. L. K. Simkins, pastor, 1929 2203 Randolph [1940]
2145 Chouteau [1930] 2808 Spruce [1952-1955]
2237 rear Chouteau [1930]

OAK GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH (No.1?) [Missionary Baptist] pre 1946
2637 Chouteau in 1946. 4212 Papin in 1955. 1300 S. Compton Ave. by 1965. 4025 W. Florissant [1989]

OAK GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH No.2 [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
2827 Cass Ave. [1970]

OAK HILL CHAPEL (Church of Christ No.1) [Christian] 1948
2938 Chouteau Ave. by 1960. 4068 Parker Ave. Currently located at 6100 Leona St. [2003]

OAK HILL METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal, South] 1900-1910
Formerly BECKVILLE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, South. Morgan Ford Rd. (sw cor Oleatha Ave.) Rev. William Q. Donnan, pastor. Merged into CHRISTY MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST [1910]

OAK HILL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1895
Organized Apr. 16, 1895. Oak Hill Presbyterian Church began in a frame church building at the corner of Bent Ave. (at Humphrey), on a lot donated by Lucy Bent Russell. Destroyed by fire Mar. 17, 1907, dedication of the new church at the Oak Hill and 4111 Connecticut site took place in 1919, designed by William Green & William Elias. Additions made in 1941. [2003]

OCCULT SPIRITUAL SOCIETY, The [Spiritualist] pre 1920
3752 Olive [1920]

OKLAHOMA MISSION pre 1895
Dock (nr Main) Angelrodt (near river) [1910]

OLD CATHEDRAL
See ST. LOUIS (Old) CATHEDRAL

OLD LANDMARK CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1965
3200 Montgomery [1965]

OLD ORCHARD CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Congregational] pre 1900
Rev. Harry Blunt, pastor (no address, Webster?) [1905]

OLD TIME GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
2524 N 10th [1970]

OLD TIME HOLINESS MISSION [Holiness] pre 1920
1403 S. 7th [1920]

OLD TIME PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1946
1254 S. Broadway [1946]

OLD TRINITY
See TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH

OLD WHITE STONE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
2422 N. Sarah St. [1970]

OLIVE BRANCH BIBLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Bible Presbyterian] pre 1955
2201 Sidney [1970]

OLIVE BRANCH CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Congregational] 1884
2201 Sidney Street (near Missouri Ave) Rev. E. T. Colman, pastor, 1905. Rev. J. C. Kammerer, pastor, 1929. [1952]

OLIVE CHAPEL [A.M.E.] pre 1964
309-315 S. Harrison, Rev. J. Silas Daniels [2003]

OLIVE CHAPEL [Baptist] pre 1880
Benton near W 21st [1880]

OLIVE GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
2844 Easton Ave. [1970]

OLIVET BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1946
2221 Franklin Ave. in 1946. 3059 Cass by 1952. 6166 Delmar after 1970. [1989]

OLIVET MISSION pre 1900
Sullivan Ave. (ne cor 25th) [1900]

OLIVETTE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionayr Baptist] pre 1930
3005-07 Thomas in 1930. 2200a Franklin Ave. [1940]

ONE FOLD UNIVERSAL CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1955
901 Lami [1955]

ONE GOD PENTECOSTAL MISSION (Church) [Pentecostal] pre 1946
3123 S. Broadway [1965]

OPEN DOOR MISSION AND HOME pre 1900
702 Gratiot, L. B. Haines, supt. 224 S. 2nd by 1905 [1905]

ORDER OF SERVICE TEMPLE (Church) pre 1946
2603 Lawton Blvd. [1955]

ORIGINAL CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1925
2738 Chouteau in 1925. 2417 N. Broadway by 1952. 2717 Chippewa by 1960 [1970]

ORIGINAL CHURCH OF GOD, BLAINE AVENUE TABERNACLE [Church of God] 1920
4200 Blaine, Rev. F. E. Heady, pastor, 1929. Aka BLAINE AVENUE TABERNACLE {Jewish?] [1929]

ORIGINAL FRIENDSHIP BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1970
4560 St. Louis Ave. [2003]

OTHEL YAAKOV CONGREGATION [Jewish] pre 1930
1215 Glasgow Ave. [1930]

OUR FATHER CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1965
6112 Bartmer Ave [1965]

OUR FATHER HOUSE OF PRAYER pre 1970
1346 Academy Ave. [1970]

OUR LADY HELP OF CHRISTIANS. [Catholic] (Sicilian)1900-1970, Razed
Organized Feb. 1900 at 19th & Morgan in a rented Presbyterian Church, by Father Caesar Spigardi (1900-23?). Moved to 10th and Wash in 1902. 1010 Wash (Cole) (at 10th St) in 1930? Last church built in 1931. [1965]

OUR LADY OF COVADONGA [Catholic] (Spanish/Mexican) 1915-1931?
Founded by Rev. Jose Picojovar, a Mexican refugee and dedicated Sept. 1915. This short lived congregation soon dispersed. Virginia & Blow Aves. [1931?]

OUR LADY OF CZESTOCHOWA [Catholic] (Polish) 1905-razed 1958
In 1905 Father Wiktor Stepka was appointed the task of forming a Polish parish in the "French Town" (Soulard) area. Dedicated Nov. 17, 1907.Rev. Leonard Czepnik (1908-17) , was their first pastor. On July 15, 1918 a new building was bought from the Lutherans. 325 Victor & Bismarck (4th) Sts. Closed Oct. 9, 1957. [1957]

OUR LADY OF GOOD COUNSEL CHURCH [Catholic] (English - Irish) 1894 – 1949
Formed from St. Michael's Church parish in 1894 by Rev. Patrick O’Donohue (1894-1901). Rev. O’Donohue was suceeded by Rev. John A. Tracy. This church, built in 1896 was dedicated Nov. 4, 1896 and ceased operations in 1949. Church was located at 1114 Destrehan (at 3439 N. 11th St.). Records at Holy Trinity Church 3519 North 14th St. [1949]

OUR LADY OF GOOD COUNSEL CONVENT CHAPEL [Catholic] 1894
1849 Cass Ave. [1894]

OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL CHURCH [Catholic] 1819-1859
A hilltop site northwest of the present intersection of Holly Hills and Pennsylvania Ave. was set aside for church purposes in 1767 by Carondelet's founder, Clement DeLore De Treget. The first church erected there was a log chapel dedicated to St. Francis Xavier in 1775. Our Lady of Mount Carmel, built in 1819, was described as a "modest hut of rough boards". Bishop Rosati laid the cornerstone for Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church in Carondelet in 1824, later renamed SS. MARY & JOSEPH. [1859]

OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL CHURCH [Catholic] (Irish) 1872-1993
In 1872 the Irish faction of the Holy Cross Church parish split and formed Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church parish, which took its name from the old parish in Carondelet. Founded by Rev. David S. Phelan, (owner and editor of the "Western Watchman", a Catholic weekly) he was pastor from 1872 through 1915. The initial church was dedicated in May 4, 1873 at 8308 Church Rd. 1500 Veronica by 1946. The present church building was completed in July 1939. Located at 8747 Annetta Avenue and Halls Ferry Rd. This parish merged with Holy Cross Parish in 1993 and formed OUR LADY OF THE HOLY CROSS CHURCH. Located in north St. Louis. [1993]

OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL (Succor) HELP CHURCH "Maria Hilf" [Catholic] (German) 1873 – 1992
The church at 2001 E. Linton Avenue (at 20th, in north St. Louis, east of O'Fallon Park) was dedicated on May 17, 1875 from a group of parishioners from Holy Trinity Church. According to Rothensteiner "Parish was founded on territory called "College Hill" and owned by the Jesuits of St. Louis University in the unincorporated town of Lowell. Lowell became part of St. Louis in 1877. Their first pastor was Rev. A. J. Stroombergen (1873-1875) who was succeeded by Rev. A. J. Schilling (1875-1905). A newer church was built in 1889 and consecrated Sept. 29, 1889 (destroyed by fire in 1970). Rev. A. J. Schilling was pastor from 1875 thru 1904. Part of the parish was removed in 1891 to create St. Engelbert Church. (aka CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL SUCCOR) [1986]

OUR LADY OF SORROWS CHURCH [Catholic] 1907
Organized among the cemeteries of South St. Louis. Their first mass was held in the chapel of SS. Peters & Paul Cemetery by Rev. Bernard Stolte (1907-1953). Who had been charged by the Archbishop to organize this new parish. Property was acquired in 1909 for this church, adjacent to a cemetery, 5825 S. Kingshighway Blvd. (at 5020 Rhodes Ave.) The first parish building was erected on the present sit in 1911 and was used as a school and church, dedicated Oct. 20, 1911. In the early years the parish had both English- and German-speaking members. The church was completed in 1928 and the interior furnishings in 1938. [2003]

OUR LADY OF THE HOLY CROSS [Catholic]
Formed in 1993 by merger of OUR LADY OF MT. CARMEL and HOLY CROSS.

OUR LADY OF THE VISITATION CHURCH [Catholic]
See VISITATION CHURCH

OUR REDEEMER EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran English] 1892
Opened as a mission of Holy Cross Lutheran on Nov,. 20, 1892, by Rev. Mr. Martin S. Sommer. This was the first English language Lutheran church in south St. Louis. Services were held in Holy Cross Hall until 1893 when it removed to Anchor Hall at Jefferson and Park Ave. In 1894 the congregation was organized as a church, forced to move with the destruction of Anchor Hall in the tornado of May 1896, they occupied a chapel at California and Juniata in 1897. This was sold to St. Andrew Evangelical Church (which later became a United Church of Christ) in 1901, the congregation bought a new church at Utah and Orgeon. Our Redeemer Church erected a small brick chapel on its present site 2817 Utah (at 3248 Oregon) Avenue, in 1908, with the present church dedicated Jan. 17, 1909. (aka EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH OF OUR REDEEMER; LUTHERAN CHURCH OF OUR REDEEMER) [2003]
In 1915 the congregation purchased 32 acres at Gravois and Mackenzie for a cemetery.

OUR SAVIOR (Evangelical) LUTHERAN [Evangelical Lutheran] 1917
Organized June 11, 1917, 2854 Abner Place (at 5404 St. Louis Ave.) Rev. L. Wilson, pastor, 1929 [1946]

OVERCOMING CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] (African-American) pre 1929
22nd & Clark, Rev. L. R. Thomas, pastor, 1929. 329 S. 21st St. 2913 Easton by 1960. [1960]

OVERCOMING CHURCH OF THE APOSTLE pre 1935
3443 Laclede Ave. [1935]


Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS