ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
N - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

NAGEL AVENUE (E W). At first this was S Street, but it was renamed St. Louis Street in 1854. In 1881, it became Nagel Street to recognize Herman Nagel, a Carondelet hat merchant. (Carondelet) (Southwest)

NASHVILLE AVENUE (E-W). This street in Shields' Forest Park Subdivision of 1887 carried an appelation honoring Nashville, Tennessee. (Oakland)

NASSAU DRIVE (E-W). In Riverview Heights Number Two of 1948, it was named for a former duchy in West Germany, a forested region famous for its Rhine wines. Nassau appears as a place name in New York, Florida and Minnesota. (Baden-Riverview)

NATURAL BRIDGE AVENUE (E-W). It was North St. Charles Plank Road from Twenty-Fifth Street to the city limits until 1881. Before that, it was a road crossing a natural-arch bridge over Rocky Branch Creek near the present intersection of Twenty-third and Palm streets. (Arlington) (Fairground) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

NEBRASKA AVENUE (N-S). This street was named for the territory of Nebraska during the 1850s platting of the St. Louis Commons. Nebraska became a state in 1867. The state name is from an Oto Indian word meaning "flat or spreading water," applied to both the Platte and Nebraska rivers. (Compton Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee)

NELLIE AVENUE (E W). Nellie is a "diminutive of Nell, ultimately from Helen, Eleanor." Like Adelia Avenue, this street was named for a daughter of the family in the subdivision of the Mary Payne estate in the 1870s. (Carondelet)

NEOSHO STREET (E-W). Named for the Neosho River in Kansas and Oklahoma in the 1850s platting of the St. Louis Commons. In McDermott's Grand Avenue Addition of 1917. It was named O'Meara Avenue from Grand to Thirty-ninth Street until 1940. In Marquette-Cherokee, it was known as South Dakota Street between Virginia and Compton until 1937. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

NEW ASHLAND PLACE (N-S). In the 1900 T.H. Harvey's Estate subdivision of New Ashland Place, it was named for the subdivision. The street takes its name from nearby Ashland Avenue named for "Ashland," the Henry Clay homestead in Lexington, Kentucky. (Fairground)

NEW HAVEN COURT. Probably named for New Haven, Connecticut (which is in turn named for Newhaven, England). It is a street within the Cochran Gardens Housing project, between Ninth and Tenth streets and Cass and O'Fallon. (St. Louis Place)

NEWBERRY TERRACE (E-W). A street and subdivision named for John C. Newberry who subdivided the tract about 1890. Newberry was a St. Louis building contractor who erected most of the houses on this street, which received its present name in 1915 after having been known previously as Ford Avenue and Cook Avenue. (Grand Prairie)

NEWBY STREET (N-S). For the town of Newby in the English Lake District. Appeared in the 1895 Shield's subdivision in Baden; a section of it was named Sinai Avenue until 1913. (Baden-Riverview)

NEWCOMB PLACE (E-W). Named for Judge Carman A. Newcomb who subdivided the tract in 1887. Judge Newcomb was a colonel in the Union Army during the Civil War and later became a prominent jurist, member of the United States House of Representatives and federal marshal for the Eastern District of Missouri. (Grand Prairie)

NEWHOUSE AVENUE (E-W). Located in the Newhouse Addition of 1850, it was named for the subdivision and its developer and landowner. It was Garibaldi Street from North Florissant to Kossuth until 1881. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

NEWMAN AVENUE (E-W). Commemorates Socrates Newman, a St. Louis foundry owner and builder of a fine iron and marble office building on Olive Street between Second and Third in the late 1850s. Initiated in the 1870 subdivision of the John J. O'Fallon estate. (Baden-Riverview)

NEWPORT AVENUE (N-S) and NEWPORT COURT (E-W). The streets derive their name from the Newport Heights subdivision of 1905. The name Newport for an urban place can be traced back to the village of Newport on the Isle of Wight, England in Roman times. (Morganford) (Oak Hill)

NEWSTEAD AVENUE (N-S) Received its name from land owner Nathaniel Pendleton Taylor after Newstead, the English country estate of Lord Bryon. Within the Shaw neighborhood, this street had several previous names. In the McRee City subdivision of

NEWSTEAD AVENUE (N-S) (continued) 1869, it was called Mount Vernon, for George Washington's Virginia home. This strip became Newstead in 1893. From Duncan Avenue to McPherson Avenue in the Central West End, Newstead was called Cornelia Avenue until 1881. It was White Avenue from Natural Bridge to Bircher until 1882. (Central West End) (Fairground) (Grand Prairie) (Shaw)

NEWSTEAD TERRACE (N-S). An extension of
NEWSTEAD AVENUE (N-S). (Penrose)

NICHOLSON PLACE (N S). Named for David Nicholson, a prominent St. Louis wine and grocery merchant, who built a fine home on the south side of Lafayette Avenue opposite the park in the l850s. (Lafayette Square)

NINA PLACE (E-W). In the Washington Heights First Addition of 1909, it was named for the Nina Realty Company which developed the subdivision. (Kingsbury)

NINETEENTH STREET (N-S). This street first appeared on city maps about 1850 within the property owned by James H. Lucas and Anne Lucas Hunt. Various sections earlier had other names: South of Market it was Paul Street in 1842, from Clark to Randolph it was known as Ulrici until 1881, and north of Washington it was named Twentieth Street until 1883. In Hyde Park, it was West Sixteenth Street between Cass Avenue and Branch Street until 1881. (*Downtown) (Hyde Park & Bissell - College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

NINTH STREET (N-S). So designated in the westward progression of numbered streets in the John B. C. Lucas addition of 1833, in the area between Market and St. Charles streets. It was named Catalpa Street from Gratiot Street to Chouteau Avenue until 1881, and from Chouteau to Hickory it was called Ham Street until 1883. (Downtown) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman) (Soulard)

NOONAN AVENUE (E-W). This street appeared in Buchanan's Subdivision of 1879 and was later named to honor Edward A. Noonan, mayor of St. Louis from 1889 to 1893. (Oakland)

NORFOLK AVENUE (E-W). One of several streets within the McRee City addition of 1869 to be named for places and states of the South. In this case the city was Norfolk, Virginia. (Shaw)

NORMA COURT (N-S). In the 1925 Watson-Maurice Addition, it was named for a female relative of the developer. Norma is an unusual place or street name. Only one place, a Norma Mountain shows up in Eastern Australia in a check of a standard gazetteer. Norma is from the Latin norma "pattern, model". It enjoyed renewed popularity in the 1920s because actress Norma Shearer made it famous. (Southwest)

NORTH BIENVENUE DRIVE (E-W). See BIENVENUE DRIVE (E-W).

NORTH BOYLE AVENUE (N-S). See
BOYLE AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH BROADWAY STREET (N-S). See BROADWAY (N-S).

NORTH CALVARY AVENUE (N-S). See CALVARY AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH CARDINAL AVENUE (N-S). See CARDINAL AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH CHANNING AVENUE (N-S). See CHANNING AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH COMMERCIAL STREET (N-S). See COMMERCIAL STREET (N-S).

NORTH COMPTON AVENUE (N-S). See COMPTON AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH COURT (N-S). Part of the Buckingham Court Development in Dameron's Subdivision of 1916. Named for its position in the subdivision. (Central West End)

NORTH CREST LANE (N-S). See NORTHCREST LANE (N-S).

NORTH CUBA COURT (N-S). See CUBA COURT (N-S).

NORTH DAKOTA STREET (E-W). Named for the state, which was in turn named for the Sioux Indians who lived there. The Sioux called themselves the Dakota or Lakota, which in their language means "allies" or "friends". (Mount Pleasant)

NORTH DRIVE (E-W). The gently curved drive that runs east and west nearly the entire length of Tower Grove Park. (Shaw)

NORTH EIGHTEENTH STREET (N-S). See EIGHTEENTH STREET (N-S).

NORTH ELEVENTH STREET (N-S). See ELEVENTH STREET (N-S).

NORTH EUCLID AVENUE (N-S). See EUCLID AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH EWING AVENUE (N-S). See EWING AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH FIFTEENTH STREET (N-S). See FIFTEENTH STREET (N-S).

NORTH FIRST STREET (N-S). See FIRST STREET (N-S).

NORTH FLORISSANT AVENUE (N,E,&W). The northern section of Florissan Avenue continues to be recognized with its own name of North Florissant Avenue. See Also FLORISSANT AVENUE (N-S). (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

NORTH FOURTEENTH STREET (N-S). See FOURTEENTH STREET (N-S).

NORTH FOURTH STREET (N-S). See FOURTH STREET (N-S).

NORTH GARRISON AVENUE (N-S). See GARRISON AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH GASCONADE STREET (N-S). See GASCONADE STREET (N-S).

NORTH GRAND BOULEVARD (N-S). See GRAND BOULEVARD & AVENUE (N-S) and (E-W).

NORTH JEFFERSON AVENUE (N-S). See JEFFERSON AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH KINGSHIGHWAY BOULEVARD (N-S). See KINGSHIGHWAY BOULEVARD (N-S).

NORTH LEFFINGWELL AVENUE (N-S). See LEFFINGWELL AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH LEONARD AVENUE (N-S). See LEONARD AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH MAGNOLIA AVENUE (N-S). See MAGNOLIA AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH MARKET STREET (E-W). This street extends westward from the old North Market, established in the 1830s by developers attempting to move the business center of St.Louis northward to form a twin cities relationship with Alton, Illinois. Until 1882 the section of the street west of Grand Boulevard was known as Parsons Street. (Grand Prairie) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

NORTH MEMORIAL DRIVE (N-S). See MEMORIAL DRIVE (N-S).

NORTH NEWSTEAD AVENUE (N-S). See NEWSTEAD AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH NINTH STREET (N-S). See NINTH STREET (N-S).

NORTH NORWOOD AVENUE (N-S). See NORWOOD AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH PARK PLACE (E-W). Named for its location near Hyde Park in Holmes and Valleau's Addition of 1848. It was Park Place between Eleventh and Fourteenth Streets until 1881. (Hyde Park & Bissell -College Hill)

NORTH POINTE BOULEVARD (E-W). In the North Pointe addition of 1921, it was named after the subdivision. Some street guides show this street incorrectly as "Pointe Boulevard, North," and "North Point Blvd, E." The correct street name is derived from the name of the subdivision. (Walnut Park)

NORTH REBER PLACE (E-W). See REBER PLACE (E-W).

NORTH ROSEBURY AVENUE (E-W). ROSEBURY AVENUE (E-W) branches into a northernmost and a southernmost extension. NORTH ROSEBURY AVENUE (E-W) is the northernmost extension. See Also ROSEBURY AVENUE (E-W). (Kingsbury)

NORTH SAN JACINTO COURT (N-S). See SAN JACINTO COURT (N-S).

NORTH SARAH STREET (N-S). See SARAH STREET (N-S).

NORTH SECOND STREET (N-S). See SECOND STREET (N-S).

NORTH SEVENTEENTH STREET (N-S). See SEVENTEENTH STREET (N-S).

NORTH SEVENTH AVENUE (N-S). See SEVENTH STREET (N-S).

NORTH SIXTEENTH STREET (N-S). See SIXTEENTH STREET (N-S).

NORTH SIXTH STREET (N-S). See SIXTH STREET (N-S).

NORTH SKINKER BOULEVARD (N-S). See SKINKER BOULEVARD & PARKWAY (N-S).

NORTH SPRING AVENUE (N-S). See SPRING AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH TAYLOR AVENUE (N-S). See TAYLOR AVENUE (N-S) & (E-W).

NORTH TENTH STREET (N-S). See TENTH STREET (N-S).

NORTH THERESA AVENUE (N-S). See THERESA AVENUE (N-S).

NORTH THIRD AVENUE (N-S). A short street in North St. Louis near O'Fallon Park. (North Riverfront)

NORTH THIRTEENTH STREET (N-S). See THIRTEENTH STREET (N-S).

NORTH TRUDEAU STREET (N-S). See TRUDEAU STREET (N-S).

NORTH TUCKER BOULEVARD (N-S). See TUCKER BOULEVARD (N-S).

NORTH TWENTIETH STREET (N-S). See TWENTIETH STREET (N-S).

NORTH TWENTY-FIRST STREET (N-S). See TWENTY-FIRST STREET (N-S).

NORTH TWENTY-SECOND STREET (N-S). See TWENTY-SECOND STREET (N-S).

NORTH TWENTY-THIRD STREET (N-S). See TWENTY-THIRD STREET (N-S).

NORTH UTAH PLACE (N-S). See UTAH STREET (E-W)) and UTAH PLACE (N-S).

NORTH VANDEVENTER AVENUE (N-S). See VANDEVENTER AVENUE (N-S).

NORTHCREST LANE (N-S). A promotional name in a 1927 subdivision called Hills at the Gateway. It was named Keifer Street until 1932. (Baden-Riverview)

NORTHLAND AVENUE and PLACE (E-W). Originally known as Kennerly Avenue between Marcus and Euclid Avenues, it received its present name in 1917 after the platting of the Northland Place subdivision. Until 1921 a section of the street between Union Boulevard and Arlington Avenue was known as Goodfellow Place. (Arlington) (Grand Prairie)

NORTHRUP AVENUE (E-W). In the Fairmont Heights Subdivision of 1868, it honored Ashley K. Northrup, a commission and forwarding merchant in the firm of Northrup and Shirmer. (The Hill)

NORTHWOOD AVENUE (E-W). So named by the developer in the 1923 apartment subdivision of De Mun Park. (Kingsbury)

NORWICH PLACE (N-S). Named for the city and county borough of Norwich, seat of Norfolk County, England, in the Rydal Mount subdivision of 1895. (Arlington) (Walnut Park)

NORWOOD AVENUE (N-S). In the Norwood Square subdivision of 1960, it was named Norwood as a shortened form of the English term for "north woods." (Arlington)

NOTTINGHAM AVENUE (E-W). Named for an inland county in central England in the 1896 subdivision of Southampton, where several streets were given names of British derivation. (Southwest)

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS