ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET St. Louis Street Index
M - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

MACKAY PLACE (N S). Named in l98l to honor James Mackay, who owned a large tract of land in the area about l800. Formerly Armstong Avenue, named for Samuel G. Armstrong, (l839 l895), American educator, philanthropist and Union Army general in the Civil War. (Lafayette Square)

MACKLIND AVENUE (N-S). Began as St. Louis Avenue in the Fairmont Heights Subdivision of 1868. Renamed in 1881 in honor of Thomas H. Macklind, district engineer of the city street department. (The Hill) (Oakland) (Southwest)

MACKLIND DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park named for nearby Macklind Avenue which runs just south of the park. (Kingsbury)

MADISON STREET (E-W). Appearing in William C. Christy's 1842 Addition to North St. Louis, it commemorates James Madison (1751-1836), fourth president of the United States. It was known as Exchange Street from Eighteenth to Jefferson and as Penrose Street between Jefferson and Webster, both until 1881. West of Eighteenth it was called Waterworks Street until 1873. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

MAEDER STREET (E W). Named in an 1859 subdivision by the City of Carondelet for John Maeder, local ferry boat operator and brewery owner. (Marquette-Cherokee)

MAEZE COURT (N-S). An unusual spelling of Maisie, which is "a Scottish pet form of Margery." The only street in the Maeze Court Subdivision of 1957. (Morganford)

MAFFITT AVENUE (E-W). Named for Mrs. Julia Chouteau Maffitt, a sister of Charles P. Chouteau. Most of Maffitt Avenue was in the Taylor Subdivision of 1876. (Arlington) (Grand Prairie)

MAFFITT PLACE (E-W). Like Maffitt Avenue, it honors Mrs. Julia Chouteau Maffit. This street was part of an extension of the Northland Place subdivision in 1917. (Grand Prairie)

MAGAZINE STREET (E-W). Located in William Glasgow Jr's Addition of 1853, it gained its name because of its location near a "magazine," a storage facility of a nearby gun powder works. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

MAGNOLIA AVENUE (E-W). West of Grand Boulevard, Magnolia Avenue was one of several streets named by Henry Shaw as an indication of his interest in botanical subjects. The section of this street that runs between Gravois Avenue and Grand was called Rappahannock until 1893. (Clifton) (Compton Hill) (The Hill) (Oakland) (Shaw)

MAGNOLIA PLACE (E-W). A one-block long street extending from Lawrence to Thurman between Botanical and Magnolia. It was opened in 1916 and solidly built up at the time. (Shaw)

MAIDEN LANE (E-W). Materializing in the Walnut Hill Addition of 1850, it was named for a street in Lower Manhattan, New York City. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

MAIN DRIVE (E-W) Extends from Grand Avenue to Tower Grove Avenue within Tower Grove Park. (Shaw)

MAKALU DRIVE (N-S). (This is a street in a private housing development, not a city street as such. It is named for the apartment complex which bears the name.) (Baden-Riverview)

MALLINCKRODT STREET (E-W). Laid out in Farrar's Addition of 1850, it honors Emil Mallinckrodt, one of the founders of the town of Bremen and originator of the Mallinckrodt Chemical Company. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)
MANCHESTER AVENUE (E-W). Originally known as Fox Creek Road, this old state road was renamed Manchester early in the 19th century since it was the road to the St. Louis County town of that name. "Old Manchester Road," the original connecting link, is now Vandeventer. For a time in the late-19th century, "Old" and "New" Manchester Roads existed at the same time. The name Manchester, beacuse of its assocaition with Manchester, England, always suggested commercial and industrial prosperity to those who adopted it in America. (Central West End) (Oakland) (Shaw)

MANHATTAN AVENUE (N-S). Originating in the 1891 subdivision of Greenwood, it was designated for Manhattan Island in New York City. (Oakland) (Southwest)

MANHATTAN MEWS (N-S). "Mews" is a word which formerly meant a small street where horses were stabled. It now normally means a small street which has apartments that were converted from stables into human dwellings. (Central West End)

MANHATTAN PLACE (E-W). A street within the Cochran Gardens Housing Project, located between Ninth and Tenth, Cass and O'Fallon. (Old North St. Louis)

MANSION HOUSE CENTER. Mansion House was the name of the hotel at which the first constitution of Missouri was framed in 1820. It was located at the corner of Third & Vine Streets, and was later known first as City Hotel, then as the Denver Hotel. (Central Business District)

MAPLE AVENUE (E-W). Began as La Barge Avenue in the 1850s (it was named for an early land owner). During the 1870s, it was given its present name (for the maple trees once prevalent in the area) from Kingshighway to Hodiamont. In Grand Prairie, the section of the street between Euclid Avenue and Kingshighway Boulevard was known as Page Avenue until 1881 and as Knight Street until 1894, when it received its present name. (Cabanne) (Grand Prairie)

MAPLE PLACE (N-S). Also named for the maple trees once prevalent in the area. (Cabanne)

MARCEAU STREET (E W). Although misspelled, this street name commemorates the Marsot family, French habitants in the Carondelet area. (Carondelet)

MARCELINE TERRACE (E-W). Opened in Sturmfel's Grand Boulevard Addition of 1926, this street was named for a female relative of the developer. (Oak Hill)

MARCONI AVENUE (E-W). Originally platted in the Fairmont Heights Subdivision of 1868 and named in honor of John R. Cooper, an early landowner. In 1938, the street's name was changed from Cooper to Marconi, honoring Gugliemo Marconi, inventor of wireless telegraphy. (The Hill)

MARCUS AVENUE (N-S). Named in honor of Marcus A. Wolff, a prominent St. Louis real estate dealer. It received its present name in 1881 when it was changed from Papin Avenue. (Fairground) (Grand Prairie)

MARDEL AVENUE (E-W). When Oleatha Rathell, wife of the developer of Lindenwood was asked to name its streets, she chose the coined name of Mardel by rearranging the letters in the name Delmar, the street on which the Rathells then resided. (Southwest)

MARGARETTA AVENUE (E-W). Originating in Anderson and Deaderick's subdivision of the White Farm in 1858, it probably was named for a female member of the White family. Margaretta is a "French form of Margaret." which comes from the Greek "margaron" meaning "pearl." It was Leroy Street from Warne to Sarah until 1882. (Fairground)

MARIA STREET (N-S). Located in John Gano Bryan's First Addition of 1857, it was named for a daughter of the developer and wife of Josiah Obear. It was Clay Street from Grand to John to 1881. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

MARINE AVENUE (N S). Named for the nearby Marine Hospital in the 1859 Marine Villa Addition by Kayser, Kennett and Smith. (Marquette-Cherokee)

MARION PLACE (E-W). A curving street around a circular area in Chambers, Christy and Wright's Town of North St. Louis of 1816, it honors Francis Marion (1732-1795), an American partisan operating against the British in South Carolina during the American Revolution. He was known as the "Swamp Fox." (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

MARION STREET (E W). In Julia C. Soulard's First Addition of 1836, this steet honors General Francis Marion, a partisan leader in the American Revolutionary War. Known as the "Swamp Fox," he conducted guerilla warfare against the British in the Carolinas. (Soulard)

MARK TWAIN EXPRESSWAY (N-S and E-W). Original name of Interstate Highway 70, it was named for the pen name of the famous Missouri novelist and humorist, Samuel Clemens, in the Elliott Highway Plan. The name still appears on official maps published by some agencies. (Downtown) (Walnut Park)

MARKET STREET (E-W). The principal east-west street of colonial St. Louis, this street was known as La Rue de la Place because it bordered the public square. In 1811 the town of St. Louis erected an open-air market building in the square, and the street thereafter became Market Street. (Downtown) (Midtown)

MARLA COURT (N-S). "Marla" is a variant form of Magdalene, which means "a high tower" in Hebrew. (Carondelet)

MARMADUKE AVENUE (E-W). Appearing in the Breezy Heights Subdivision of 1885, the street commemorates John S. Marmaduke, then governor of Missouri. (Clifton)

MARNICE PLACE (N-S). A very unusual female name, Marnice appeared in the Vine Grove subdivision in the Old Orchard Tract of 1866. (Fairground)

MARQUETTE AVENUE (E-W). A Lindenwood Subdivision street named by the Oleatha Rathell, wife of the developer. In this case, the name honors the Marquette Elementary School, which the Rathell children attended. The school name honors Father Jacques Marquette, the 17th-century French missionary who explored the Mississippi Valley. (Southwest)

MARTHA PLACE (N-S). Martha is Aramaic for "lady, mistress of the house," who became "the patron saint of house-bound wives." Originated in the 1871 private subdivision of Martha Place. (Oakland)

MARTIN LUTHER KING DRIVE (E-W). (Official designation is DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING DRIVE.) Following the route of the early trail from St. Louis to St. Charles, this street was officially named St. Charles Rock Road in 1865 and renamed Easton Avenue in 1881 to honor Rufus Easton, an early St. Louis postmaster. It received its present name following the assassination of the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., in 1968. King won a Nobel Prize in 1964 for his work to gain full civil rights for black Americans. (Arlington) (Cabanne) (Grand Prairie)

MARWINETTE AVENUE (N-S). Originating in the Holly Hills Subdivision of 1923, this street title is a coined name derived from portions of the names of the wives of the developers - Marie Federer, Winifred Livingston, and Jeanette Arendes. (Morganford)

MARY AVENUE (N-S). The Greek form of "Miriam" originating in Benjamin O'Fallon's subdivision of the O'Fallon Estate of 1875. "As the name of the Blessed Virgin, it was first considered to holy for ordinary use." but the most popular name for girls by the 16th century. This particular Mary probably was Mary O'Fallon, daughter of John O'Fallon and sister of Benjamin O'Fallon. (Fairground)

MARYLAND AVENUE and PLAZA (E-W). Originated in Peter Lindell's Second Addition of 1865, when it was named for the state of Maryland. The portion of this street between Euclid and Kingshighway was named as Maryland Plaza in 1958 as a shopping nucleus for the Central West End. (Central West End)

MARYVILLE AVENUE (N-S). In the 1875 Maryville Addition, it was named for the landowner, Maryville College. Earlier, it was known as Linden Street. (Cabanne)

MASON STREET (N S). The only street in the subdivision of the E. R. Mason property in l854, it incorporates the family name. (Soulard)

MAURICE AVENUE (E-W). Honors J. B. Maurice, the subdivider of the Lake farm in 1872. It was named Des Peres Avenue from Watson Road to the River des Peres until 1882. The present name was then adopted for the section from Watson to Ivanhoe. (Southwest)
MAURY AVENUE (N-S). Originally known as Edward Avenue, between Magnolia and Shenandoah avenues in the Thomas J. Payne Tower Grove Park Addition. The name was changed in 1881 in a general revision of street titles to eliminate duplication. Maury was probbly a family name associaed with the Payne Family. William L. Maury, who operated a collection agency in the late 1870s, was involved in several land deals in south St. Louis and Carondelet, and he may be the person whose family name now graces this street. (Oak Hill) (Shaw)

MAY STREET (E-W). "May" had just regained popularity as a female name when it reappeared in Lewis Bissell's Fourth Addition of 1872. It probably was named for a female member of the Bissell family. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

MAYFAIR PLAZA (E-W). "Mayfair" is a reference to the medieval English practice of celebrating the arrival of Spring with a "May Day" festival. (Central Business District)

MAZE PLACE (N-S). Beginning as Maze Court in the Grant Place Subdivision of 1923, it was changed to Maze Place in 1925. Maze is a shortened form of the Lithuanian name of Mazeika, a Polish name like Mazur or Mazursky, or a German name like Mazor or Mazer. No specific family association has been found for this street, although one likely exists. (Oak Hill)

McARTHUR AVENUE (N-S). An Irish and Scottish family name meaning "the son of Arthur (valorous; noble; bear man; Thor's eagle)" Laid out in the Homesites subdivision of 1919. (Arlington)

McCAUSLAND AVENUE (N-S). Known as McCausland Road between Pernod and Fyler until 1893, it honors James McCausland, a farmer and landowner in the vicinity during the early-19th century. (Oakland) (Southwest)

McCULLAGH STREET (N-S). First opened in the 1866 Primm Place Subdivision, this street later was named to honor Joseph B. McCullagh, editor of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat from 1872 until 1896. (Oak Hill)

McCUNE AVENUE (E-W). When he laid out the Octavius C. McCune Subdivision of 1886, the developer named this street for himself. (Clifton)

McDONALD AVENUE (E-W). Veneration for James McDonald, the owner of a large adjacent tract of land, in Robert W. Hunt's Subdivision of 1856. (Oak Hill)

McGIRK STREET (E W). The only street in the H. C. and F. J. Lynch Addition of l840, it is named for Matthias McGirk, chief justice of the Missouri Supreme Court in the l830s. (Soulard)

McKAY PLACE (N-S). See MACKAY PLACE (N-S).

McKEAN AVENUE (E W). Honors Reginald McKean of the St. Louis & San Francisco Railway. Laid out in the 1897 subdivision of Tower Grove Heights. (Marquette-Cherokee)

McKINLEY AVENUE (E-W). In the McKinley Place Subdivision of 1884, it was named for its developer, St. Louis real estate dealer Andrew McKinley, president of the Board of Commissioners of Forest Park from 1874 to 1877. Until 1893, this street was named Beacon Avenue from Taylor to Kingshighway. (Central West End)

McKINLEY DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park named for President William McKinley, who issued the proclamation for the World's Fair. (Kingsbury)

McKINLEY PLAZA (E-W). This is the McKinley Bridge toll lead-in from the St. Louis side as shown on the official city street map. (North Riverfront)

McKISSOCK AVENUE (N-S). F.M. McKissock, a manager for the North Missouri Railroad, had this street named for him in the 1868 Garden suburb. It was known as Third Street from Grand to Adelaide and as Bell Avenue from Humboldt to Calvary, both until 1881. (Baden-Riverview) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

McLARAN AVENUE (N-S). Originated in the 1871 McLaran's subdivision of the Jennings estate. It is named for the developer, Charles McLaran, who married Ann M. Jennings, daughter of Dr. James Jennings. (Baden-Riverview)

McMILLAN AVENUE (E-W). Named for William Northrup McMillan, one of the founders of the Missouri Car and Foundry Company, who owned extensive real estate holdings in the vicinity of this street. (Grand Prairie)

McNAIR AVENUE (N S). This street, which first appeared on St. Louis maps in the early l850s, is named to honor Alexander McNair (l774 l826). McNair arrived in St. Louis in l804 and served as a colonel of Missouri militia in the War of l812. He was the first governor of Missouri, serving from l820 to l824. (Benton Park)

McNULTY STREET (E W). Laid out in l867 in the Ryan and McNulty Subdivision, apparently named for one of the developers. (Lafayette Square)

McPHERSON AVENUE (E-W). Originally platted in the 1868 subdivision of Lindell Place. Honors William B. McPherson, a St. Louis capitalist who was a former president of the Keokuk Packet Line and of the Pacific Railroad. He also was a director of the Illinois and St. Louis Bridge Company, builder of the Eads Bridge. (Central West End) (Kingsbury) (Midtown)

McPHERSON COURT (E-W). Also named for William B. McPherson, St. Louis plutocrat. (Skinker-DeBaliviere)

McREE AVENUE (E-W). In 1869 a large subdivision called McRee City was developed by Mrs. Mary McRee, widow of Colonel Samuel McRee, who died in the cholera epidemic of 1849. McRee's subdivision was timed to take advantage of the arrival of horsecar lines in the Shaw neighborhood and the presence of the Pacific Railroad which had been laid along the northern edge of the area in the 1850s. (Oakland) (Shaw)

MEDERER STREET (E-W). See MAEDER STREET (E-W).

MEKLENBURG AVENUE (E-W). Appeared in McDermott and Hayden's Hannover Heights Addition of 1906, the label honors a former duchy in Germany on the Baltic Sea. The place name became a family name as well. (Morganford)

MELROSE AVENUE (E-W). Showed up in the Inglesyde subdivision of 1890, it is named for a borough in Roxburghsire, Scotland, site of the famed Melrose Abbey which was founded in 1136 and described in Sir Walter Scott's "Lay of the Last Minstrel." (Baden-Riverview)

MELVIN AVENUE (N-S). Laid out in the 1940 Riverview Terrace subdivision, this is a male name derived from "Melva" or "Melvina," which means "chief." (Baden-Riverview)

MEMORIAL DRIVE (N-S). Name of the Third Street Highway along the west edge of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park. (Downtown)

MENARD STREET (N S). Commemorates Pierre Menard (l766 l844), a pioneer settler of Kaskaskia and first lieutenant governor of Illinois. Menard made his fortune through friendly dealings with the Indians. (Soulard)

MERAMEC STREET (E W). One of the principal east west lanes in the platting of the St. Louis Commons, the street was named for the Meramec River in Missouri. The Meramec were a tribe who settled briefly in the area that became Missouri. The name means "catfish." (Marquette-Cherokee)

MERCHANT STREET (E W). This diagonal street between Second Street and Broadway was known as Carondelet Street until l88l, then renamed to indicate its commercial character. (Soulard)

MIAMI STREET (E-W). Named for the Miami River and the Miami Indian tribe of Ohio in the platting of the St. Louis Commons of the 1850s. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

MICHIGAN AVENUE (N S). Called Fourth Street in the old Carondelet street numbering nomenclature and changed by St. Louis city ordinance in 1883 to honor the state of Michigan. It is a southern extension of a street of that name in south St. Louis. (Carondelet) (Compton Hill) (Midtown) (Marquette-Cherokee)

MILENTZ AVENUE (E-W). First appeared in 1905 in the Hermann Heights and Dixie Place subdivisions on either side of Gravois Avenue. Milentz is the name of an old south side family of German descent. The year the developments appeared, there were seven Milentz family listings in the St. Louis city directories. (Morganford) (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

MILLBROOK BOULEVARD (E-W). The big street directly north of Washington University. (Skinker-DeBaliviere)

MILLER STREET (E W). Laid out in the Soulard Subdivision of l839, this street was named for Henry B. Miller, a carpenter, labor leader and Democratic politician of the antebellum period. (Soulard)

MILLS STREET (E-W). In the 1851 Stoddard Addition, it is named in honor of Adam L. Mills, a merchant and leading subscriber to the Pacific Railroad project. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

MILTON BOULEVARD (E-W). Originated in the 1890 subdivision of Compton Heights, this street was named in honor of John Milton (1608-1674), the English poet who supported the Puritan cause and was Latin secretary in Cromwell's government. Although blind, Milton dictated his opus, "Paradise Lost," in 1667. (Compton Hill)

MIMIKA AVENUE (N-S). In the Jennings Heights Subdivision of 1888 by the Garesche family. It is named for Mimika Louise Garesché, mother of Alexander J. P. Garesché and grandmother of Edmond A. B. Garesché, who married Emma Wortley Jennings (Walnut Park).

MINERVA AVENUE (E-W). Originally named Florence Avenue in the Lucas and Hunt Addition to Cote Brilliante. In 1881 the street was renamed Minerva in honor of the Roman goddess of learning and handicrafts. (Cabanne)

MINNESOTA AVENUE (N S). Formerly Third Street in Carondelet and renamed for the State of Minnesota in 1883, as a southern extension of Minnesota Avenue in south St. Louis. (Carondelet) (Compton Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee)

MINNIE AVENUE (E-W). Appeared in the Acme Heights Subdivision of 1907. Probably named for a female member of the Morrison family which subdivided this street and Lena Avenue as well. "Minnie" is a pet form of "Wilhelmina" which came into general use in the 1850s. (Walnut Park)

MISSISSIPPI AVENUE (N S). When the St. Louis Commons was platted in l836, the present area of Lafayette Park was reserved for public use. At that time, the two wide north and south streets bounding the park were named for the two great rivers which meet near St. Louis. Mississippi Avenue, which bounds the park on the east, is named for the Father of Waters. In south St. Louis, the street name derives from the state of Mississippi (which is also named for the river). (Benton Park) (Lafayette Square) (Marquette-Cherokee)

MISSOURI AVENUE (N-S). This avenue is named for the state of Missouri, which of course was named in turn for the Missouri River. The word "Missouri" is apparently an Indian word meaning "town of the big canoes". (Lafayette Square) (Soulard) (Marine Villa) (Dutchtown North)

MITCHELL AVENUE (E-W). Platted in Shields' subdivision of city block 4831 in 1887. The thoroughfare was known as Hill Road until 1882, when it was renamed in honor of the family of Samuel Mitchell, who founded a brick works in Cheltenham. (Oakland)

MITCHELL PLACE (N-S). Originated in the Mitchell Place Subdivision of 1910. The section of the street between Glades and Mitchell was known as America Avenue until 1922. Like the much earlier Mitchell Avenue, it honors the family of Samuel Mitchell. (Oakland)

MITCHELL TERRACE (E-W). Platted in the Mitchell Terrace Subdivision of 1953. It honors the family of Samuel Mitchell. (Oakland)

MOBILE COURT (N-S). In the Three Oaks Subdivision of 1951, it was named for the city of Mobile, Alabama. (Oakland)

MOELLENHOFF STREET (N-S). Originated in the 1906 McDermott and Hayden's Hildesheim subdivision of the Rudolph Moellenhoff tract. (Southwest)

MONROE STREET (E-W). The fifth president of the United States, James Monroe (1758-1831) was honored with this street name in the 1816 Town of North St. Louis laid out by Chambers, Christy and Wright. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

MONTANA STREET (E-W). This street originated in Kretzer`s Subdivision of 1866 and was named for the territory of Montana. The name means mountainous. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill)

MONTCLAIR AVENUE (N-S). A promotional place name derived from the French for "a closer view of the mountains", it was used for this street in W. P. and L. Croswhite's Subdivision of 1890. It was named Century Place from Etzel to Page until 1906. (Cabanne)

MONTGOMERY STREET (E-W). Appeared in William C. Christy's 1842 Addition to North St. Louis, it honors Richard Montgomery (1738-1775), an American general in the Revolutionary War who was killed in the Quebec Campaign. It was known as Conde Street from Fifteenth to Nineteenth until 1860 and as Summer Street between Grand and Spring until 1875. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

MONTROSE AVENUE (N-S). First appeared in Toney's Addition of 1855 and named for "The Legend of Montrose," a novel by Sir Walter Scott. A portion of the street between Park and Chouteau Avenues was named Joab Street until 1893. (Midtown)

MORA LANE (N-S). In the 1890 Inglesyde Subdivision, it probably is named for the town of Mora in Sweden. Mora also is the Spanish word for blackberry. (Baden-Riverview)

MORAINE AVENUE (N-S). In Heckmann's O'Fallon Park Addition Number Two of 1922, it was named for the natural phenomenon of rock waste carried and deposited by a glacier. (Fairground)

MORGAN STREET (E-W). First called North "H" Street and then Oak Street in the street-naming ordinance of 1826. West of Third, it was then called Morgan Street to honor Revolutionary War General Daniel Morgan, who defeated the British at Cowpens, South Carolina, in 1781. In 1842 this name was applied to the entire street. In 1933 it was renamed Delmar, but the name Morgan came into use again with the development of Laclede's Landing on the riverfront. (Downtown)

MORGANFORD ROAD (N-S). Received its name because it led to a ford of the River des Peres operated by a man named Morgan. Until 1881, it was known as Russell Lane between Arsenal Street and Beck Avenue where it passed through the James Russell tract. (Morganford) (Oak Hill)

MORIN AVENUE (E-W). For the family of Antoine Morin, an early French landowner who had title to a land grant along Morin Creek. Appeared in the 1870 Harlem subdivision. (Baden-Riverview)

MORRISON AVENUE (E W). Originally appearing in George Morton's Addition of l837, this street honors William R. Morrison, a St. Louis merchant who became a partner of Erastus Wells in the Missouri Railroad Company, the city's first horse car line. (Soulard)

MOTARD STREET (N-S). From the Motard tract, which was owned by Joseph Motard, a pioneer French settler. (Shaw)

MOTT STREET (E W). Originally M Street in the town of Carondelet, it was named Miller Street in 1854 to recognize Madison Miller, later mayor of Carondelet. In the early 1850s, because a street with a similar name existed within St. Louis, an attempt was made to call the thoroughfare Mott Street for Frederick W. Mott, a Carondelet real estate developer. The name was inadvertently spelled as "Malt" in the St. Louis ordinance, but the error was corrected by a 1933 city ordinance. (Carondelet)

MOUND STREET (E-W). Appearing in Robert M. Moore's Addition of 1840, it was named for the "Big Mound" built by prehistoric Indians at this location. The mound was demolished in the 1860s for fill on the North Missouri Railroad right-of-way. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

MOUNT PLEASANT STREET (E W). Seen first in the 1869 St. Louis City Sixth Subdivision, this street's name noted a large hill once located at the location. Some sections of Mount Pleasant were formerly known as Neosho Street. (Marquette-Cherokee)

MULLANPHY STREET (E-W). John Mullanphy, a wealthy St. Louisan of Irish descent who made his fortune in cotton, manufacturing and real estate, was venerated in this 1845 subdivision by his heirs. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

MUNICIPAL OPERA DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park, it runs in front of the Municipal Opera Theatre. (Kingsbury)

MURDOCH AVENUE (E-W). Named in honor of John J. Murdoch, a Civil War general who owned a large tract in the present Shrewsbury area after the war. Known as Murdoch's farm, it was subdivided in 1890. (Southwest)

MURIEL STREET (N-S). Platted as a street in the 1867 Walter and Espenschied subdivision, it was originally named North and South Market Place from Walter Avenue to Halls Ferry Road. It was given its present name in 1930 in honor of Muriel Kuhs Soest, daughter of Edward Kuhs, a real estate man and former alderman. Muriel is from the Irish "Muirgheal," meaning "sea-bright." (Baden-Riverview)

MYRLETTE COURT (N-S). A made-up female name, probably from "Myra," which itself is a name invented by 17th-century English poet Fulke Greville (1554-1618) for use in his love poems, and the French ending "lette." It appeared in the 1949 Holly Hills Gardens subdivision. (Morganford)

Back to Street Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS