ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET St. Louis Street Index
L - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

LABADIE AVENUE (E-W). Appeared in the 1875 Pierre Chouteau Addition, it was named in honor of Sylvester Labadie, a pioneer French settler in colonial St. Louis who made his fortune in the fur trade. (Arlington) (Fairground)

LABEAUME STREET (E-W). In LaBeaume's Addition to St. Louis of 1835, it honors Louis LaBeaume, an early land owner. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

LACKLAND AVENUE (N-S). A recognition for Rufus J. Lackland, president of Boatmen's Bank for nearly 40 years, when it appeared in Shaw's Arsenal Street Addition of 1915. (Oak Hill)

LACLEDE AVENUE (N-S). Marking the official division line between north and south St. Louis, it was named during the 1840s in honor of the founder of the city, Pierre Laclede Liguest. (Central West End) (Midtown)

LACLEDE TOWN. An urban renewal project of the 1950s, it replaced the former Mill Creek slums. Bounded by Olive, Leffingwell, Laclede and Compton, its interior streets and walks were given names of trees and shrubs such as Red Maple Walk and Sugar Maple Knoll. (Midtown)

LACLEDE COURT (N-S). See explanation for LACLEDE AVENUE (N-S). (Midtown)

LACLEDES LANDING BOULEVARD (E-W). Named for its proximity to the site where Pierre Laclede Liguest's exploring party came ashore in 1764 and founded the settlement of St. Louis. (Central Business District)

LAFAYETTE AVENUE (E-W). So named in the original 1836 platting of the St. Louis Commons because it formed the southern boundary of Lafayette Park. It honors the Marquis de Lafayette (1757-1834), the French general and statesman who aided George Washington in the American Revolutionary War. He was enthusiastically received in St. Louis during a triumphal visit in 1825. (Compton Hill) (Lafayette Square) (Shaw) (Soulard)

LAFLIN STREET (N-S). Appearing in the Laflin and Smith Addition of 1851, it was named for one of its developers, Sylvester H. Laflin, an organizer of the Kansas Pacific Railway in 1868. This street was named Caroline Street until 1869. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

LAGOON DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park which leads to the Grand Lagoon or Basin in front of Art Hill. (Kingsbury)

LAKE AVENUE (N-S). In the 1888 private subdivision of the Forest Park Addition, it was named for the lake in Forest Park, opposite the southern end of Lake Avenue at Lindell. This lake is now known as Murphy's Lake. (Central West End)

LALITE AVENUE (E-W). In the 1888 subdivision of Jennings Heights by the Garesche family. The name "Lalite" is a nickname for the woman's name Eulalia, the given name of a number of women in the Garesche and related families (for example, Eulalia Bauduy, who married William Marion Reedy). (Walnut Park)

LAMBDIN AVENUE (N-S). Taken from the Lambdin Place subdivision of 1867, this name memorializes artist James Reid Lambdin, a renowned 19th-century portraitist who was director of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts from 1845 to 1864 and whom President James Buchanan appointed as a member of the United States art commission in 1858. He painted an oil portrait of every American president from John Quincy Adams to James A. Garfield. (Fairground) (Grand Prairie)

LAMI STREET (N S). Venerates Michael Lami, an early French settler in St. Louis. Lami was the step father of Jean Baptiste Duchouquette, the owner of two large tracts of land along the southern St. Louis riverfront. (Benton Park) (Soulard)

LANHAM AVENUE (E-W). Seen first in the 1885 subdivision of the Sutton Tract and named for Philip T. Lanham, partner in the auctioneering firm of Lanham and Sutton. (Oakland)

LANSDOWNE AVENUE (E-W). Originally appeared in the 1896 subdivision of Southampton, which included several streets with names of English derivation. This street name honors the Marquess of Lansdowne (1845-1927), the British statesman who served as foreign secretary at the turn of the century. (Southwest)

LA SALLE LANE (E-W). See explanation for LA SALLE STREET (E-W). (Lafayette Square)

LA SALLE PARK COURT (E-W). See explanation for LA SALLE STREET (E-W). (La Salle Park)

LA SALLE STREET (E W). Rene-Robert Cavalier Sieur de la Salle explored the Great Lakes and the Mississippi Valley for France, hoping to found a French empire in America. As part of these explorations, in 1682 he journeyed down the Mississippi past the site of St. Louis in 1682. Sections of the street in the Soulard area carried the names Labadie and Convent until 1881. La Salle was extended west of Grand in 1860, but not until 1881 were all segments along its line legislated to have the same name. (Lafayette Square) (Midtown) (Shaw) (Soulard)

LAURA AVENUE (E-W). Appearing in the Jennings Heights subdivision of 1888, it probably is named for a member of the Jennings family. Laura is the Latin feminine of laurus, with the meaning of "bay," or "laurel," used to decorate a victor or other distinguished person. (Walnut Park)

LAUREL STREET (N-S). Platted in the Washington Heights First Addition of 1909, it was named for the laurel evergreen tree, a native of the Mediterranean region. It symbolizes victory and merit to the ancients. (Cabanne) (Kingsbury)

LAVERNELL COURT (N-S). An unusual form of "Laverna", the name of "a Roman goddess of thieves and impostors". The name "Laverne" is a simpler form. Platted in the 1949 Holly Hills Gardens subdivision. (Morganford)

LAWN AVENUE (N-S). Appeared between Oakland and Berthold avenues in the 1912 Forest Lawn Subdivision, it received its name from the subdivision. (Oakland) (Southwest)

LAWN PLACE (N-S). Also received its name from the Forest Lawn Subdivision. (St. Louis High Area)

LAWRENCE STREET (N-S). Commemorates Mary Lawrence Tyler, the only daughter of Colonel William Chambers, who owned the present area of the Tyler Place subdivision until his death in 1819. His daughter later married Robert Tyler. Mrs. Tyler retained ownership of the property until May 1887, when she sold it to Colonel Samuel F. Scott for $750,000. Tyler Place was developed by the Western Investment and Improvement Company in 1888. (Shaw)

LAWTON AVENUE and PLACE (E-W). Appeared in the Stoddard Addition of 1851. Known as West Chestnut Street until 1900 when it was renamed to honor Henry Ware Lawton (1843-1899), a career soldier who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for distinguished gallantry in the Union Army during the Civil War. (Midtown)

LAWTON PROMENADE (E-W). Also named for Henry Ware Lawton (see LAWTON AVENUE and PLACE (E-W) above). (Midtown)

LAWTON WALK (E-W). Also named for Henry Ware Lawton (see LAWTON AVENUE and PLACE (E-W)). (Midtown)

LEA PLACE (N-S). An English term for meadow was used as the name or this street in J.E. Greffet's subdivision of Lea Place of 1890, (Fairground)

LEAHY AVENUE (E-W). Honored David D. Leahy, a real estate man and developer, when it appeared in the Kingshighway-Florissant Heights First addition of 1908. (Walnut Park)

LEAMINGTON AVENUE (N-S). An appellation borrowed from the Royal Leamington Spa in Warwickshire, England, when platted in the 1891 Greenwood Subdivision. (Oakland)

LEBANON DRIVE (E-W). Formerly a part of La Salle Street between Ninth and Eleventh streets. The street received its present name by a city ordinance passed on June 12, 1974, to honor the new St. Raymond's Maronite Church, of an Arabic-speaking Christian community in Lebanon. (Soulard)

LEDUC STREET (E-W). Memorializes an early St. Louis judge and notary, Marie P. Leduc, whose name appears on many documents from St. Louis' colonial period. Leduc Street was created in the Cote Brilliante subdivision in 1853. (Grand Prairie)

LEE AVENUE (E-W). In J.G. Bryan's Estate Second subdivision of 1865, it commemorates Robert E. Lee (1807-1870), commander in chief of Confederate forces in the Civil War, who as a lieutenant of the Army Engineers constructed harbor improvements at St. Louis during the 1830s. This street was Switzer Avenue from Glasgow to Grand and was Moore Street from Grand to Newstead, both until 1881. (Fairground)

LEETON AVENUE (E-W). Formerly Glendale Avenue in Burke's subdivision of Prospect Grove of 1894, it received its present name in 1940 for the village of Leetonia, Ohio, southwest of Youngstown. (Baden-Riverview)

LEFFINGWELL AVENUE (N-S). Venerates Hiram W. Leffingwell, a mid-19th century St. Louis real estate agent and developer whose firm conducted the auction sale of lots in the subdivision of the 1851 Stoddard Addition where this street was platted. Leffingwell was instrumental in the development of Grand Avenue and Forest Park. In the neighborhood of Old St. Louis, it was Clay Avenue from Franklin to St. Louis Avenue until 1882 and Rose Avenue between St. Louis and Dodier to 1880. (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

LEMP AVENUE (N S). First appeared in the Benton Park neighborhood in the 1855 subdivision of Adam Lemp, a prominent 19th century St. Louis brewer. (Benton Park) (Marquette-Cherokee)

LENA AVENUE (E-W). Lena is "a pet form of names ending in `lena,' especially Helena." The street was platted by the Morrison family in 1907 as part of the Acme Heights subdivision. (Walnut Park)

LENOX PLACE (E-W). Honored James Lenox (1800-1880), American bibliophile and philanthropist, when it appeared in the Berlin Heights private subdivision of 1899. (Central West End)

LEOLA AVENUE (N-S). Feminine name derived from "Leo", for "lion". First appeared in the 1892 Kirschbaum's Subdivision. (Clifton) (Southwest)

LEONA STREET (N-S). An American adaption of "Leon" from the Latin "Leonia". First appeared in the Leona Place subdivision of 1923. (Morganford) (Oak Hill)

LEONARD AVENUE (N-S). Platted in William Greenleaf Elliot's 1854 Subdivision of Section 16 of the St. Louis Commons, it was named in honor of Reverend John Leonard, a prominent Unitarian minister. (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

LEONOR K. SULLIVAN BOULEVARD (N-S). Wharf Street in 1983 was renamed to honor Leonor K. Sullivan-Archibald, who served for 24 years as a member of the United States House of Representatives from Missouri. She was instrumental in passage of many pieces of riverfront legislation. Established in 1826 as Front Street from La Salle to Biddle, it later became Wharf and finally Sullivan. (Downtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

LEONORA AVENUE (E-W). Seen first when land owned previously by the Morrison family was laid out in the Coshocton Heights subdivision in 1911. It is a shortened for of "Elenora". The name "Leonora" is probably best known as an operatic character --she appears in Beethoven's Fidelio, Verdi's Il Trovatore, and Donizetti's La Favorita. (Walnut Park)

LESPERANCE STREET (E W). Named for Jean Baptiste Lesperance in the Lesperance addition of l839. It was platted on a large riverfront tract owned by the Lesperance family. (Soulard)

LEWIS AND CLARK BOULEVARD (N-S). Named for Meriwether Lewis (1774-1809) and William Clark (1770-1838), leaders of the first American expedition to explore the newly acquired Louisiana Territory. (Baden-Riverview)

LEWIS PLACE (E-W). A private street and subdivision laid out by the Pitzman surveying company in 1890 for the Lewis Real Estate and Investment Company, headed by Turner J. Lewis and Benjamin W. Lewis. Its brick triumphal arch at the Taylor Avenue entrance was erected in 1897 by the notable firm of St. Louis architects, Barnett, Haynes and Barnett. (Grand Prairie)

LEWIS STREET (N-S). Originating In Smith, Bates and Lisa's Addition of 1843, it commemorates Meriwether Lewis (1774-1809), American explorer and leader of the Lewis and Clark Expedition to the Pacific between 1803 and 1806. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

LEXINGTON AVENUE (E-W). Platted in the James B. Clay subdivision of the Old Orchard Tract of 1876, it is named for Lexington, Kentucky, the home town of the Clay family. It was known as Lorraine Avenue from Marcus to Kingshighway until 1926. (Arlington) (Fairground)

LIBERTY STREET (N S). This street received its patriotic name in the 1902 subdivision of Virginia Heights. (Marquette-Cherokee)

LIERMANN AVENUE (E-W). Henry Liermann, the former owner of the tract on which it was laid out in the Belz Subdivision of 1902, was honored with this street name. (Oak Hill)

LILBURN AVENUE (E-W). Appearing in the Euclid Heights subdivision of 1904, it was named for John Lilburne (1619-57), English pamphleteer and political agitator. (Walnut Park)

LILLIAN AVENUE (E-W). In the Harney Heights subdivision of 1891, it probably honors a member of the Harney family, owners of the tract. It was known as Jennings Avenue from Thrush Avenue to the city limits until 1916. "Lillian" is the American version of the European name, "Lilian", which derives from the flower name, "lily". (Walnut Park)

LILLY AVENUE (N-S). Originally appeared in the 1857 subdivision of Mount St. Louis and named for James Lilly, a grocer who was an early landowner in this vicinity. (The Hill)

LIMIT AVENUE (N-S). The Swink Brothers in their 1906 addition to Maplewood named this street to note this street's location on the city limits of St. Louis. This Limit Avenue is not to be confused with the street of the same name just west of city limits in University City. (Oakland)

LINCOLN AVENUE (E-W). Originally opened as part of the Thornton D. Murphy subdivision in the early 1860s, it was named in honor of President Abraham Lincoln. (Grand Prairie)

LINCOLN WAY (E-W). Named in honor of President Lincoln. (Mark Twain I-70)

LINDELL BOULEVARD (E-W). Originally projected in Peter Lindell's Second Addition of 1856 and named for the developer. The section between Kingshighway and Union in the Central West End was called Forest Park Terrace from 1888 until after the World's Fair of 1904. (Central West End) (Kingsbury) (Midtown)

LINDEN STREET (E-W). The segment of this street between Twelfth (Tucker Boulevard) and Thirteenth streets was known as Orange until 1869 when it was named for the linden tree. The section between Sixteenth and Seventeenth streets originally was an alley. When opened as a street in the 1940s, it was named Orange. It received its present name after 1960. (Downtown)

LINDENWOOD AVENUE and PLACE (E-W). When developer Sam P. Rathell platted Lindenwood in 1888, he asked his wife to name the streets, she named this street and the subdivision for her classmates at her alma mater, Lindenwood College at St. Charles, Missouri. (Southwest)

LINDENWOOD COURT (E-W). See explanation for LINDENWOOD AVENUE and PLACE (E-W). (Lindenwood Park)

LINTON AVENUE (E-W & N-S). Laid out in the College Hill subdivision of 1859, it was named in honor of Doctor M. L. Linton, a professor in the St. Louis University medical department and president of the St. Louis Medical Society in the 1850s. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

LISETTE AVENUE (E-W). "A French diminutive of Elisabeth" which appeared as a street name in Van Drehle's Subdivision of 1913. An unusual given name, it is an even more unusual place name. (Southwest)

LISMORE STREET (N-S). Bears the name of a market town in County Waterford, Ireland, known for its ancient abbey and castle. The street name first appeared in the Union Addition of 1850, This was Twenty-second Street from Sullivan to Hebert until 1883. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

LIVINGSTON DRIVE (N-S). Honors Donald Livingston, one of the principal developers of the 1923 Holly Hills subdivision. (Morganford)

LLOYD AVENUE (E-W). Originally platted in Blue's Subdivision of 1888 and named for Mahlon Lloyd, a tobacconist who resided in the area. The portion of Lloyd from Sulphur to Billon was known as Loretta Street until 1931. (Oakland)

LOCKE AVENUE (E-W). Probably named for John Locke (1632-1704), noted English philosopher and political theorist. (St. Louis Hills)

LOCUST STREET (E-W). Began as an unnamed cross street in colonial St. Louis. It received the name of North "D" Street after American takeover and was given its present name in 1826. Between Fourteenth Street and Jefferson Avenue, Locust Street from 1850 to 1893 was known as Lucas Place, the city's first private place street and the location of some of the city's largest mansions. (Downtown) (Midtown)

LOGAN STREET (E-W). John Alexander Logan (1826-1886), American politician, Union general in the Civil War, United States senator, and creator of Memorial Day in 1868, was honored in the 1907 subdivision of Columbia Place. (Baden-Riverview)

LOMBARD STREET (E-W). One of the earliest St. Louis streets, it was called South "J" Street from 1821 to 1826. In the city's movement to name streets after trees in 1826, this street was chosen to represent the Lombardy poplar, hence the name Lombard. (Downtown)

LONGFELLOW BOULEVARD (E-W & N-S). One of the two principal thoroughfares in the 1890 Compton Heights Subdivision of luxurious homes. It is named to honor Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882), American poet and professor of modern languages. Many of Longfellow's short, sentimental and inspirational verses are familiar to American school children. (Compton Hill)

LONGFELLOW PLACE (N-S). See explanation for LONGFELLOW BOULEVARD (E-W & N-S). (Compton Hill)

LONGRIDGE DRIVE (N-S). An adopted promotional subdivision name in the Hathaway Hill Place Subdivision Number Six of 1951. (Baden-Riverview)

LOOKAWAY COURT and DRIVE (N-S). In the Glasgow Woods subdivision of 1928, it was a private road until 1931, when its present name was adopted because of the fine river vista visible from it. (Baden-Riverview)

LOOKOUT DRIVE & COURT (E-W). In the 1917 Riverview Gardens subdivision of 1917, it was a private walk until 1934. Its present name derives from its scenic outlook. (Baden-Riverview)

LORAN AVENUE (E-W). Appeared in the 1929 subdivision of St. Louis Hills, it is named for Thomas V. Loran, secretary of the Hamilton Finance Company and owner of the St. Charles Hotel. (Southwest)

LORENTZ STREET (E W). Beginning at the Mississippi River and extending westward near the River des Peres, this street was named for the Lorentz family, early German settlers in the vicinity. (Carondelet)

LOTUS AVENUE (E-W). Originally this name applied only to the one-block section west from Euclid Avenue to Kingshighway in the Euclid Park subdivision of 1891. West of Kingshighway, a city ordinance replaced Garfield with Lotus in 1925. The lotus is an oriental water lily. (Arlington) (Grand Prairie)

LOUGHBOROUGH AVENUE (E W). Began as P Street in old Carondelet. Renamed Pine Street in 1854 from the river west to Virginia Avenue. From Virginia west to Colorado, it was called Gamashe Street. These names were changed to the current designation by an 1881 St. Louis city ordinance. The title honors James M. Loughborough, real estate man, land owner, politician and editor of the Carondelet New Era in 1859. (Carondelet) (Morganford) (Southwest)

LOUIS STREET (E-W). First appearing in the Edgar Place subdivision of 1905, Louis is the "French form of an Old German name Hlutwin `famous in battle.'" The name was given to eighteen kings of France after the 8th century, including Louis IX, St. Louis. (Morganford)

LOUISA STREET (E W). A street in the suburb of St. George laid out in l836 by William Carr Lane, the first mayor of St. Louis. He named the street for his daughter Louisa. (Soulard)

LOUISIANA AVENUE (N-S). Named for the state of Louisiana in 1854 under the street-naming policy of the subdividers of the St. Louis Commons. The state name honors Louis XIV. The French explorer LaSalle (1643-1687) bestowed the name on the whole territory he had explored along the Mississippi River. Between Kansas Street and Dover Place, the street was called Eleventh until 1881, when it received its present name. (Compton Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Morganford)

LOUISVILLE AVENUE (N-S). Originated in Shield's Forest Park Subdivision of 1887, the designation honors Louisville, Kentucky. (Oakland)

LOVEJOY LANE (E-W). Designated in the modern period in the Carr Square Village housing project, it honor Elijah Parish Lovejoy (1802-1837), American abolitionist and journalist who worked in St. Louis and Alton, Illinois. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

LOWELL STREET (N-S). James Russell Lowell (1819-1891), American poet, educator and essayist had this street named for him in the 1897 Hornsby Addition to Baden. (Baden-Riverview)

LUCAS AVENUE (E-W). From the Wharf to Third, Lucas was called North "G" Street from 1821 to 1826, when the name was changed to Prune. In 1835 from the Wharf to Eleventh, it was renamed Greene to honor Revolutionary War General Nathaniel Greene. The section of the street west of Eleventh was then changed to honor William C. Christy, prominent land owner and merchant. In the 1850s, the name Lucas began to be applied to the street west of Jefferson to honor landowner James H. Lucas. In 1890 the city gave the name Lucas to the street from the wharf to Grand Boulevard. (Downtown) (Midtown)

LUCILLE AVENUE (E-W). Laid out in the 1888 Jennings Heights subdivision, it was named for a daughter of the Jennings family. "Lucille" comes from the Latin "Lucilla." The name became popular in the United States in the decade when it was used to name this street. (Walnut Park)

LUCY STREET (N-S). Named for the owner of Lucy Bent Russell's Subdivision of 1884. She was the widow of James Russell, founder of the Parker-Russell Mining Company. (Oak Hill)

LUTHER AVENUE (E-W). Luther M. Kennett, mayor of St. Louis for three one-year terms in the 1850s, was honored in this street name in the 1870 subdivision of the John J. O'Fallon estate. (Baden-Riverview)

LYNCH STREET (E-W). Forming the northern boundary of a long narrow strip of land in the Petit Prairie Common Field, this street honors William A. Lynch who developed the narrow rectangle as Labadie and Lynch's Addition in 1856. (Benton Park) (Compton Hill) (Soulard)

LYNFIELD PLACE (E-W). A promotional subdivision name in the Lynhaven Addition of 1950 . "Lyn" means dweller; hence, the word means "dweller in the field." (Baden-Riverview)

LYNHAVEN PLACE (N-S). In the 1950 Lynhaven subdivision, it was bestowed upon this street by the developer. The name would translate loosely to inhabitant of a haven, or hide-away. (Baden-Riverview)

Back to Street Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS