ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
L - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

La SALLE A.M.E. CHURCH
See La SALLE STREET METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH

La SALLE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1948
13th & La Salle. 1130 Rutger by 1960. 1113 Park Ave in 1970. [2003]

La SALLE (Street) METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] (African-American) pre 1925
2935 La Salle, Rev. John H. Boone in 1925. Ernest Scott, pastor, 1929. (aka La SALLE A.M.E. CHURCH) [1952]

La SALLE (United) METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] 1952-
An offspring of Union Memorial which began in a tent at Cardinal & La Salle, the church was then called the COMPTON HILL METHODIST CHURCH. Shortly after it moved to a blacksmith ship on Montrose & La Salle where the present building stands. Current church was built in 1952 at 3115 Park Ave. and occupied in September of that year. [2003]

LACLEDE AVENUE BAPTIST MISSION [Baptist] pre 1900
3045 Laclede Ave. [1900]

LADIES UNION CITY MISSION pre 1866
8th & Soulard, red. S. B. Dickenson, Missionary [1866]

LAFAYETTE BAPTIST CHURCH MISSION [Baptist] pre 1952
1322 La Salle [1955]

LAFAYETTE PARK BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1867
Lafayette Park Baptist Church was organized by Third Baptist Church in a store at 7th Street and Chouteau Avenue in 1867, originally known as PARK AVENUE BAPTIST CHURCH. In the next year, known as the Park Avenue Baptist Church, it occupied a building at Park Ave near 12th St. . Moved to larger quarters in 1888 at 1916 Lafayette (se cor Mississippi Ave.) and the present name was adopted. Although badly damaged in the tornado of May 1896 the church was rebuilt on the same site. In 1926 the church was enlarged to accommodate its increasing membership. 1710 Mississippi by [2003]

LAFAYETTE PARK CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] pre 1895
2602 Park Ave. [1895]

LAFAYETTE PARK CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE [Church of the Nazarene] 1924
Began Aug. 1924 in a tent at 1320 Dolman, led by Rev.C. I. Deboard. Their first pastor was Rev. A. L. Roach (1928-1952). In 1929 the congregation bought a building at 2800 St. Vincent (at California ) which they sold in 1969 and replaced with a new church on 4543 Magnolia Ave. In the former home of the Compton Heights Christian Church. They were lated known as SOUTHWEST CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE. [2003]

LAFAYETTE PARK CORP.
See SALVATION ARMY

LAFAYETTE PARK METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH, SOUTH
See LAFAYETTE PARK UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

LAFAYETTE PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1878-1946
Lafayette Park Presbyterian Church was formed Mar. 18, 1878, as a colony of the Walnut Street Church. The church at Missouri Ave. (sw cor Albion Place) was occupied early 1884. Many came from the congregation of the CHOUTEAU AVENUE CHURCH which disbanded in 1875. Damaged by 1896 tornado and rebuilt. Merged with TYLER PLACE CHURCH in 1946. Located at 1507 Missouri Ave. (at Albion Pl.) [1946]

LAFAYETTE PARK (United) METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH, South [Methodist Episcopal] 1888
This congregations history stretches back to 1839 and a south St. Louis Mission that first became WESLEY (SOCIETY) CHAPEL (1843-1848), then CHOUTEAU AVENUE METHODIST CHURCH, South (1850-1857). Organized in the fall of 1839 in the home of Elizabeth Carter, at Broadway & Chouteau. A chapel followed at their new location in Lafayette Park, on Missouri Ave. (sw cor Lafayette), on Apr. 8, 1888. Originally known as LAFAYETTE PARK METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH. Unroofed by the tornado of 1896, repairs were made in time for the laying of the cornerstone for their main building in September 1900, designed by Thedore Link. 2300 Lafayette Ave. Placed on the National Historic Register June 28, 1972 and City Landmark Status June 30, 1972. [1986]

LAMARSARY SPIRITUAL TEMPLE CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1952
3621 Cozens Ave. [1955]

LANE TABERNACLE C.M.E. CHURCH [C.M.E.] (African-American) 1893
910 North Newstead Ave. Formerly home to First United Presbyterian. Lane was previously located at 3966 Fairfax by 1905. 4371 Enright by 1929. 916 N. Newstead in 1964. 4371 Enright by 1965. 910 N. Newstead by 1986. (aka LANE’S TABERNACLE A.M.E.) [2003]

LASEA CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian/Disciples of Christ] (African-American) 1896?
Located in south St. Louis, address unknown. [1896]

LATTER DAY SAINTS {Reorganized Church] pre 1875
Hall at sw cor. Broadway & Labeaume. Bishop William Anderson, Pastor [1875]

LATTER RIN SAINTS PHEBE TEMPLE pre 1955
3846 Easton Ave. [1955]

LAUREL AVENUE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
6873 Delmar Blvd. [1970]

LEE AVENUE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1892
Organized Nov. 29, 1892, from a mission of Second Presbyterian at Kossuth west of Fairgrounds. Located 3924 Lee Ave. (near Prairie Ave.) First pastor was Rev. William Portens, followed by Rev. Mc Cuish and Rev. Henry F. Williams. 3950 Carter Ave. [1910]

LEONARD AVENUE (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] (African-American) pre 1915
36 S. Leonard Ave. in 1915. 108 S. Leonard, Rev. P. W. Dunnavant, pastor, 1929. 40 S. Leonard Ave. by 1930. 3105 Cass Ave. by 1946. 3546 Page in 1964

LEONARD AVENUE CONSOLIDATED BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1940
3105 Cass [1940]

LEONARD AVENUE MISSION [Presbyterian] (African-American) pre 1905
38 S. Leonard Ave., Rev. Selton W. Parr, pastor continued as BEREA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [1905]

LEONARD AVENUE PRESBYTERIAN
See BEREA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

LEONARD BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1952
1220 N. Grand [1986]

LEVEE MISSION [Jewish Christian] pre 1900
9 N. Levee, 1 N. Main by 1905 [1905]

LEXINGTON AVENUE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] (African-American) pre 1915
4280 Lexington Ave. [1915]

LIBERAL CATHOLIC CHURCH pre 1935
711 N. Grand Blvd. [1935]

LIBERTY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
3506 Franklin Ave. [1960]

LIBERTY CONGREGATIONAL (Mission) [Congregational] (African-American) pre 1920
1125 N. Vandeventer, pastor: E. H. Hamilton in 1920. Charles H, Stanley by 1925. [1925]

LIBERTY EVANGELICAL MISSION [Evangelical] pre 1890
719 Franklin Ave., Rev. E.R.Colman, pastor [1890]

LIBERTY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
1823 N. Vandeventer in 1960. 3064 Thomas by 1965. Currently at 11221 Larimore Rd. St. Louis Co. [2003]

LIBERTY NON-SECTARIAN MISSION 1887
Organized Jan. 9, 1887. 703 N. 14th., Rev. E. T. Colman, pastor [1895]

LIBERTY TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1970
3515 Cass Ave. [1970]

LIFE TABERNACLE pre 1952
4232 Manchester Ave. in 1952. 3820 S. Broadway by 1965 [1965]

LIFE MISSIONARY CHURCH pre 1952
4234 Manchester Ave. [1952]

LIGHT GOSPEL HOUSE MISSION
See LIGHTHOUSE MEMORIAL MISSION

LIGHT HOUSE MISSIONARY (Baptist) CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
5099 Minerva Ave. [1970]

LIGHT OF JERICHO (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1946
2102 Franklin Ave. in 1946. 2726 Lucas by 1952 [1960]

LIGHTHOUSE FREE METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] pre 1940
4269-71 Norfolk Ave. [1970]

LIGHTHOUSE MEMORIAL MISSION [Methodist] 1902
Organized Dec. 21, 1902. 1226 Tower Grove by 1915. 1218 Tower Grove Ave. (and 4267 Norfolk) Director: Agnes Greider, 1929. (aka LIGHT GOSPEL HOUSE MISSION) [1935]

LIGHTHOUSE MISSION pre 1905
1122 S. 4th St. [1955] 3844 Easton Ave. [1940-1946] 1218 Tower Grove Ave. [1940]
1243 S. Broadway [1940] 1910 Olive, Rev. John H. Flower, supt. [1905]

LILY OF THE VALLEY [Baptist] pre 1935
2038 O’Fallon by 1935. 4341 Maffitt by 1960 [1960]

LILLY OF THE VALLEY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist[ pre 1925
1237 Wash, Rev. W. A. Robinson in 1925. 2036 Wash by 1930. 2401 Biddle by 1940. 3033 Semple [1989]
also 3517 Easton Ave. [1955] 4371 Finney [1955] 4341 Maffitt Ave. [1965-1970]

LILLY OF THE VALLEY SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1960
2618 N. 22nd St. [1965]

LINDELL AVENUE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1892-1914
Lindell Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church was originally at the SW corner of Lindell and Newstead, the old church was torn down and rebuilt at 340 N. Skinker (at Waterman). Rededication as GRACE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH took place in 1914. First pastor Robert I. Fleming. [1914]

LINDELL BOULEVARD BIBLE CHURCH pre 1960
4625 Lindell Blvd [1965]

LINDENWOOD BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1946
6932 Lansdowne Ave. [2003]

LITE OF JERICHO BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
2726 Lucas Ave. [1970]

LITTLE BETHEL CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1965
1501 Cass Ave. [1965-1970] 5855 Easton Ave. [1970]

LITTLE BETHEL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1955
217 N. Compton in 1955. 3315 Delmar Blvd. (basement) by 1960. 2811 Dickson by 1965. 2900 Delmar Blvd by 1970. [1970]

LITTLE FLOWER
See CHURCH OF THE LITTLE FLOWER

LITTLE ROCK CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] pre 1952
3178 Easton Ave. [1955]

LITTLE ROCK (Holy) NATIONAL SPIRITUAL CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [Spiritualist] pre 1940
1970 Delmar Blvd in 1940. 1900 Carr by 1946 [1946]

LITTLE SPIRITUAL CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1930
3230 Chouteau [1970]

LITTLE ZION FREE METHODIST [Methodist] pre 1890
1028 N. 7th, Rev. Charles L. Lucas, pastor

LIVELY STONE CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1960
3969 St. Louis Ave. [1970-1986] 4015 St. Louis Ave. [1970-2003] 1200 N. Sarah Ave. [1960]

LIVELY STONE MEMORIAL PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1946
2621 Lawton [1952]

LIVELY STONE OVERCOMING CHURCH OF GOD APOSTOLIC FAITH pre 1965
4404 St. Ferdinand Ave. [1965]

LIVING FAITH TABERNACLE pre 1970
3019 Arsenal St. [1970]

LIVING STONE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1940
2621 Lawton Blvd. [1940]

LONE STAR BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1925
2338 Papin [1925]

LOTUS TEMPLE pre 1946
3419 Shenandoah Ave. [1946]

LOVE AND UNITY MISSION pre 1930
1225 Elliot Ave. [1930]

LOVE OF FREEDOM [Jewish?] pre 1925
1125 N. 11th. Abraham B. Goldenson, rabbi [1925]

LOWELL MISSION [Baptist] pre 1875
Bellefontaine Rd & O’Fallon Ave. 5437 N. Broadway by 1905 [1905]

LOWER LIGHT GOSPEL MISSION pre 1970
3229 Park Ave. [1970]

LUCAS AVENUE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN [Cumerbland Presbyterian] 1872-1906
Lucas Ave. (at Channing) Rev. C. H. Bell, pastor in 1880. Merged with RAYMOND PLACE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN to become KINGSHIGHWAY PRESBYTERIAN in 1906

LUTHERAN CHURCH OF OUR REDEEMER
See OUR REDEEMER EVANGELICAL LUITHERAN CHURCH

LUTHERAN CHURCH OF OUR SAVIOR [Lutheran] 1916
Starting from a humble beginning in 1916 as a mission in a small store at 5577 St. Louis Ave., under the direction of Rev. M. S. Sommer & Rev. Carl A. Romoser, their missionaries. The Church of Our Savior made slow but continued progress in their development. The next year they acquired another store at 5404 St. Louis Ave. which they adapted to their needs as a place of worship for the next six years. They formally organized as a church on June 17, 1917. With the purchase of the present site in 1921, the congregation first completed the basement in 1923, where they worshipped until completing the church above in May 1933, at 2858 Abner Place (at Union Blvd.). Now home to Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church. [1970]

LUTHERAN CHURCH OF THE RESURRECTION [Lutheran] pre 1946
708 S. 4th St. [1960]

LUTHERAN CITY MISSION [Lutheran] 1900
625 S. 2nd in 1910 as LUTHERAN MISSION SCHOOL AND CHAPEL. 808 S. 2nd St., Rev. L. Winfield Wickham, pastor, 1929. 1433 N. 19th St. in 1946. Aka EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CITY MISSION. [1946]

LUTHERAN MISSION SCHOOL AND CHAPEL
See LUTHERAN CITY MISSION

LUTHERAN MISSION [Lutheran] (African-American) pre 1910
1701 Morgan in 1910. 916 S. 4th St. by 1935. Aka BRAUER MEMORIAL LUTHERAN MISSION (1935-46). [1946]

LUTHERAN MISSION [Lutheran] (African-American) pre 1910
1701 Morgan in 1910. 916 S. 4th St. by 1935 [1935]


Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS