ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
K - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

KAY COURT (E-W). A pet form of any number of names beginning with the letter "K." Originated as a street name in the Viola Place addition of 1958. (Morganford)

KEALTY LANE (E W). A lane within the Clinton Peabody Housing Project which was opened in 1941. (Soulard)

KEBER AVENUE (E-W). In the Harlem subdivision of 1870, it probably was named for an associate of John J. O'Fallon. This is a most unusual family or place name, and one has to suspect a change in spelling from the original. (Baden-Riverview)

KEITH PLACE (E-W). For Clarence M. Keith, a vice-president of the Frederick Pitzman Surveying Company. Laid out in the St. Louis Hills Estates Number 4 of 1950. (Southwest)

KEMPER AVENUE (E-W). Appearing in the 1871 subdivision of the eastern part of the County Farm, it was named for Episcopal Bishop Jackson Kemper, founder of Kemper College, which occupied this site in the 1840s. (The Hill)

KENNERLY AVENUE (E-W). This street appeared on street maps in the 1870s, although its name did not appear until later. The appelation is for James and George N. Kennerly who were members of a family which long owned several parcels of land in the St. Louis area. (Arlington) (Grand Prairie)

KENNETH PLACE (N-S). "English form of two Gaelic names, Coinneach `fair one' and Cinead `fire-sprung.'" Appeared in the 1914 Bryan Park subdivision, it was named for a male member of the developer's family. (Fairground)

KENNETT PLACE (E W). Honors Luther M. Kennett, mayor of St. Louis from 1850 to 1852. It was platted in 1857 in the Stephen D. Barlow Addition (Barlow was an officer of the Iron Mountain Railroad). (Lafayette Square)

KENRICK STREET (N-S). For Peter R. Kenrick, archbishop of St. Louis, in P. R. Kenrick's 1868 addition to Baden. It was known as William Street until 1881. (Baden-Riverview)

KENSINGTON AVENUE (E-W). The present site of Soldan High School was the location of an 1880s amusement park called Kensington Gardens located on the Suburban Street Railway line. The amusement facility drew its name from Kensington Gardens in

KENSINGTON AVENUE (continued) London. In the Cabanne neighborhood, between Kingshighway and Union (the Mount Cabanne Subdivision), it was called Belle Avenue until 1896. (Cabanne) (Grand Prairie)

KENSINGTON PLACE (E-W). Named for the Kensington Gardens Amusement Park. Until 1918 Kensington Place between Taylor and Walton Avenues was known as Belle Avenue. (Grand Prairie)

KENTUCKY AVENUE (N-S). One of three streets named for Southern states in the McRee City subdivision of 1869. Kentucky Avenue was near the Laclede Race Course, denoting an interest in horses, traditional in Kentucky. The name Kentucky is from Wyandot ken-tah-teh, "land of tomorrow. (Central West End) (Shaw)

KEOKUK STREET (E W). Named during the 1850s subdivision of the St. Louis Commons, this street bears the name of a 19th century Sac and Fox Indian chief, who refused to aid the British in the War of 1812. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill)

KETMORE DRIVE (N-S). Likely a coined name derived from "Kettler" and "more." In the Weber Gardens subdivision of 1955, it was named by the developer. (Morganford)

KETTLER ROAD (E-W). A German name, meaning "one who mended pots and kettles, a tinker." In the Weber Gardens subdivision of 1955, it was named by the developer. (Morganford)

KIMBERLEY AVENUE (N-S). In the 1904 subdivision McKinley Place, it is named for a diamond mining town in the Cape Province of South Africa. Kimberley is of English origin, the name of places in Norfolk, Nottinghamshire, and Warwickshire. (Arlington)

KING DRIVE (E-W). See MARTIN LUTHER KING DRIVE (E-W). (Grand Prairie)

KINGS DRIVE (E-W). A short street in the Kingshighway Forest Subdivision of 1928, which occupied a part of the former St. Paul's Cemetery. (Oak Hill)

KINGSBURY AVENUE, COURT, and PLACE (E-W). Originated in the 1873 subdivision of the estate of James W. Kingsbury, husband of Julia Cabanne. Kingsbury Place was platted as a private subdivision between Union and Clara in 1902. Kingsbury Court was a private subdivision off of Clara Avenue in 1919. Between Clara and De Baliviere, it was called Kingsbury Boulevard until 1923. (Central West End) (Kingsbury)

KINGSBURY SQUARE (E-W). Also named for James W. and Julia Kingsbury (see also
KINGSBURY AVENUE, COURT, and PLACE (E-W). (Central West End)

KINGSHIGHWAY BOULEVARD (N-S). Follows the former Rue de Roi or Kingshighway along the western boundary of the Prairie des Noyers Common Field. It became the main stem of the Kingshighway Boulevard system that was adopted by the city in 1903. (Cabanne) (Central West End) (Clifton) (Grand Prairie) (The Hill) (Oak Hill) (Shaw) (Southwest)

KINGSHIGHWAY MEMORIAL BOULEVARD (N-S). So named after World War I when it was planted and memorial plaques were placed in its central parkway to honor military heroes killed in that war. The street extended from
Easton Avenue (now Martin Luther King, Jr., Drive) to West Florissant Avenue. Originally it was called North Kingshighway Boulevard. The 1922 ordinance creating Kingshighway Memorial Boulevard has never been repealed, so the street still officially exists. (Arlington) (Fairground) (Walnut Park)

KINGSHIGHWAY NORTHEAST (N-S). See explanation for KINGSHIGHWAY BOULEVARD (N-S). (Penrose) (Mark Twain I-70)

KINGSLAND COURT (E W). Originating in the Grand Bingham Subdivision of 1929, this short street was named to honor the family of Philip and George Kingsland, St. Louisans who prospered in the manufacture of agricultural equipment. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill)

KINGWOOD DRIVE (N-S). Platted in the Villa Nova Subdivision of 1946 by Kime and Livengood, who were Ernest L. Kime, president of Kime Construction Company, and Walter R. Livengood who operated a real estate company under his name. The name, like the subdivision title, was meant to provoke a high class connotation. (Southwest)

KINSEY PLACE (E-W). In St. Louis Hills Estates Number 2 of 1945 and St. Louis Hills Estates Number 3 of 1949, it honors Edmund R. Kinsey, president of the Board of Public Service in the administration of Mayor Victor J. Miller. (Southwest)

KISLING LANE (E-W). Ward 6, Precinct 1, Census Tract 1266. (Old North St. Louis)

KLEIN STREET (N-S). Platted in the 1850 Farrar Addition, it was not until the 1880s that the street was named in honor of Felix Klein (1849-1925), German mathematician noted for his research in geometry. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

KLEMM STREET (N-S). Named for Richard Klemm, a civil engineer and surveyor who made the plats for the Tyler Place and Dundee Place subdivisions. Dundee Place was developed in 1889 after Colonel Thomas A. Scott purchased it from William McRee for $448,000. It covered an area of 138 acres. Part of this tract was subdivided by Mrs. Mary McRee as McRee City in 1869. Scott also purchased the 96-acre Gibson Heights tract from William Gibson for $330,000. Gibson Heights, at the southeastern corner of Forest Park, was opened in 1891. (Shaw)

KLOCKE STREET (E W). Named for laborer Henry Klocke, who developed the 1873 Klocke Subdivision shortly after he came to St. Louis. (Marquette-Cherokee)

KNACKSTEDT COURT (E-W). Venerates the family which operated the south side Knackstedt Dairy. (Morganford)

KNAPP STREET (N-S). Appearing in the Hebert Tract subdivision of 1846, it was named for George Knapp, publisher of the Missouri Republican newspaper. It was Seventeenth Street between Hebert and Branch streets until 1883. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

KNOX AVENUE and COURT (N-S). Honored Samuel Knox, a prominent St. Louis lawyer of the period, when it was opened in the Ritter Place Subdivision of 1887. (Clifton)

KNOX INDUSTRIAL COURT (E-W). Named for its entrance off Knox Avenue in the 1963 Knox Industrial Subdivision. (Clifton)

KOELN STREET (E W). Called V Street in early Carondelet and christened Vine Street in 1854 by city ordinance. It was renamed in 1882 to honor Christian Koeln, a Carondelet merchant who operated a general store at Main and Taylor streets after 1850. West of Virginia Avenue, it was originally Kirk Street. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

KORTE PLACE (E-W). A self-tribute by the subdivision developer in the 1927 Korte subdivision. The name is German, meaning "the short stubby man". (Fairground)

KOSCIUSKO STREET (N S). A tribute to Thaddeeus Kosciusko (l746l8l7), a Polish general who fought for the patriots in the American Revolutionary War. He became a Polish hero when he fought for independence for Poland in l8l4. The street first appeared on St. Louis maps in the l840s. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Fairground) (Soulard)

KOSSUTH AVENUE (E-W). Named for Louis Kossuth, the Hungarian patriot who visited St. Louis in 1852. (Fairground) (Penrose) (Mark Twain I-70)

KRAFT STREET (N-S). The name appeared on St. Louis maps as early as the 1870s, but it was officially platted in Samuel's Subdivision of 1885 to venerate Louis P. Kraft, a St. Louis commission merchant. (Oakland)

KRAUSS STREET (E W). Named O Street in old Carondelet and Olive Street in 1854. In 1881, its appellation was changed to honor John Krauss, a business man, tavern owner and director of the Home Mutual Insurance Company. (Carondelet)

KRUM AVENUE (N-S). A block-long street named in honor of John M. Krum, mayor of St. Louis in 1848. (Grand Prairie)

KUHS PLACE (N-S). For developer A. J. Kuhs in his 1924 subdivision. (Oakland)

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS