ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
K - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

KENNERLY (Avenue) TEMPLE C.O.G.I.C. [Church of God in Christ] (African-American) 1903
First church at 4307 Kennerly, built in 1929, 4301 Kennerly by 1930. 4259 W. Kennerly Ave. by 1955. Currently located at 4307 Kennerly [2003]

KENTUCKY AVENUE GOSPEL TABERNACLE pre 1935
1110 Kentucky Ave. [1935]

KING DAVID BAPTIST (Mission) CHURCH [Union Missionary Baptist] pre 1929
1501 Wash, Rev. Ike Lidge, pastor, 1929. 2343 Hickory (basement) by 1952. [1960]

KING SOLOMON MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1925
1602 Morgan in 1925. 2818 Thomas by 1946. 2825 N. Sarah St. by 1970 [1970]

KINGDOM HALL OF JEHOVAH WITNESSES
See JEHOVAH WITNESSES – Kingdom Hall

KINGDOM HOUSE (Methodist Episcopal Church) [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1940
1102 Morrison [1965]

KINGDOM HOUSE MISSION [Methodist Episcopal, South] pre 1910
1033 S. 8th St., Rev. George J. Evans, pastor. (aka KINGDOM HOUSE SOCIAL SETTLEMENT; KINGDOM HOUSE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH) [1925]

KINGDOM HOUSE SOCIAL SETTLEMENT
See KINGDOM HOUSE MISSION

KINGDOM TEMPLE OF GOD IN CHRIST CHURCH pre 1970
1901 N. Grand Blvd. [1970]

KING’S-WAY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1940
4200 Finney in 1989. Currently at 4152 Finney [2003]

KINGSHIGHWAY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist German] 1907
5401 S. Kingshighway (at Eichelberger) Originally organized as a Sunday school in 1907, in the home of Mr & Mrs. Frederick W. Rimling, on Schiller Place. An offspring of the First German Baptist Church. A lot was purchased on Morganford Rd. between Gravois and Eichelberger and a small fram church was erected. Dedicated on Oc.t 6, 1907 under the name MORGANFORD ROAD BAPTIST MISSION. Their first English services were held in May 1912. Rev. Joseph A. Sskwor became their first pastor in 1914. They were organized into a congregation June 22, 1914 and their church was built at 5401 Kingshighway (at Eichelberger) in 1919 with first services held in May 1920. [2003]

KINGSHIGHWAY BAPTIST
See KING’S-WAY BAPTIST CHURCH

KINGSHIGHWAY CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] 1893/1918-1930?
Kingshighway Christian Church was founded as a mission at Easton and Marcus, by Rev. O. A. Bartholomew of Mount Cabanne Church. Shortly thereafter it moved to Marcus and Hammett where it was known as BEULAH CHRISTIAN CHURCH and later HAMMETT PLACE CHURCH. In 1918 it moved to a new church at 3000 Kingshighway (at Labadie) and the name changed again to KINGSHIGHWAY CHURCH. Merged into MEMORIAL BLVD. CHRISTIAN CHURCH in 1929. [1930]

KINGSHIGHWAY CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN [Cumberland Presbyterian] 1908
See KINGSHIGHWAY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

KINGSHIGHWAY METHODIST CHURCH
See KINGSHIGHWAY (United) METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH

KINGSHIGHWAY MISSION pre 1905
Natural Bridge Rd. (nr Kingshighway Blvd.) [1905]

KINGSHIGHWAY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Cumberland Presbyterian] 1906-
Orignally known ad RAYMOND PLACE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. Organized in 1897 in the home of John R. Griffith, 1126 Bayard Ave. Their church site was purchased by 1900 at Kingshighway (and 5010 Cabanne), Rev. Taylor Bernard, pastor. RAYMOND PLACE merged with LUCAS AVENUE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN in 1906 and assumed their current name. Rev. A. H. Lowe, pastor 1929. [1946]

KINGSHIGHWAY (United) METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1877
Organized in 1877 by the old Methodist Episcopal Church as CARONDELET METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH and met at the Marketplace of Carondelet Market House Square on S. Broadway (Courtois & Schirmer Sts.). Their first church was a small wooden frame structure at the corner of Pennsylvania Ave. (2nd) and Union St. (Upton). In 1890 the church was moved into a brick building at Virginia and Blow St., now home to the Nazerene Church. And in 1914 moved again to 900 Bellerive Blvd. (908 Kingshighway Park) (at Colorado Ave). A small temporary structure was built and the name was changed to reflect their new address. In 1915 a brick chapel was built and this in turn was replaced with the dedication of their current church building on June 13, 1926. Rev. William K. Chatten, pastor, 1929. [2003]

KINGSLAND MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1920
See MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN

KINYON GALILEE BAPTIST [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1905
1017 N. 10th, Rev. William Nunn, pastor [1905]

KNESSETH ISRAEL ANSHEI KOVRO CONGREGATION [Jewish] (Eastern Orthodox) 1890-1960
1107 Franklin, Leon Berman, president. 2739 Dayton by 1920. 5014 Kingshighway, NW (Riverview Blvd.) by 1930. Merged with BRITH SHOLOM in 1960 to form BRITH SHOLOM KNESETH ISRAEL, in Richmond Heights. [1960]

KNIGHTS OF THE TEMPLE pre 1952
3955 Page Blvd [1952]

KNIGHTS OF THE TEMPLE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1955
929 Vandeventer Ave. [1955]

KOSSUTH AVENUE CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1880
Kossuth & Clay Aves., moved to Lee & Prairie, 1885, Rev. William Porteus, pastor [1885]

KOSSUTH AVENUE GOSPEL HALL [Plymouth Brethren] 1913
Organized Sept. 1913,4215 Kossuth (at Harris) by 1920. [1940]

KOSSUTH CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1960
4215 Kossuth Ave. Currently located at 3801 Clarence [2003]

KOSSUTH GOSPEL CHAPEL pre 1955
4215 Kossuth Ave. [1955]


Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS