ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
J Streets - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

JACKSON | JAMES STREET | JAMES “COOL PAPA” BELL AVENUE | JAMIESON AVENUE | JANUARY AVENUE | JEFFERSON AVENUE | JOHN AVENUE | JULIA AVENUE | JULIAN AVENUE | JUNIATA STREET |

 

JACKSON (now 3rd)

Back to the top


JAMES STREET (see South 18th STREET)

Back to the top


JAMES "COOL PAPA" BELL AVENUE (formerly part of Dickson)

2614 NORTHERNSTAR MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [1953]
2838 TRUE-LIGHT BAPTIST CHURCH [1929-35]

Back to the top


JAMIESON AVENUE

3303 HARLEM PLACE (Methodist) CHURCH [1890-1949]
3460 IMMANUEL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [1891-2003]
4720 CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS, St. Louis Branch Chapel [1949-70]
6000 ST. RAPHAEL THE ARCHANGEL [1951-2003]

Back to the top


JANUARY AVENUE

(at Magnolia) ST. ALOYSIUS GONZAGA CHURCH [1898-1925]

Back to the top


JEFFERSON AVENUE

NORTH

(at Cass) ‘Hoenix Hall’ SECOND SPIRITUALIST CHURCH [1920]
(at Lucas) IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH [1854-70]
(ne cor Olive) ST. PETER’S (Protestant) EPISCOPAL CHURCH [1872]
(at Wash) CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN GETASEMANE CHURCH [1875]
(sw Wash) FIRST AMERICAN CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN [1875]
(at Washington) ‘Pickwick Theater’ TEMPLE ISRAEL [1887?-88]
507 CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [1952]
705 CHURCH OF CHRIST [1900]
705 SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH [?]
911 MT. HORAH BAPTIST CHURCH [1955]
100 ST. BRIDGET (of Erin) CHURCH [1853-2003]
1211 CHURCH OF THE LIVING GOD [1930]
1211 ZION HILL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [1935-40]
1214 NEW MORNING STAR (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [1930]
1313 GREATER UNION METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH (aka Greater Union A.M.E. Church) [1946-55]
1313 FIRST BETHEL (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [1960-65]
1315 EMANUEL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [1922?-39]
1315 HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD CHURCH [1930]
1404 BETHLEHEM MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [1946]
1406 REDEEMING CHRISTIAN SPIRITUALIST CHURCH, No. 4 [1930]
1406 UNIVERSAL TRIUMPH THE DOMINION OF GOD THANKFUL CENTER, No. 1 [1952]
1418 NEW BETHANY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [1940]
1539 MACEDONIA HOUSE OF PRAYER [1955-64]
1844 COMMUNITY TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [1946-54?]
1844 COMMUNITY PENTECOSTAL TEMPLE [1955]
2426 TREE OF LIFE (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [1965]
2615 TRUE LOVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [1965-70]
2628 GRACE TEMPLE CHURCH [1960-64?]
2703 CHRIST SPIRITUAL ROCK TABERNACLE [1952]
3101 FAITH BAPTIST CHURCH [1960-65]
3529 BETHEL TEMPLE [Missionary Baptist] [1927]
3529 BETHEL TEMPLE [Assembly of God] [1929-60?]
3529 STAR BETHEL (Missionary Baptist) CHURCH [1970-2003]

SOUTH

(Alexian Brothers Hospital) ST. JOSEPH CHAPEL [1875]
(at Carondelet Rd.) ST. LUKE’S MISSION CHURCH [1880]
(bet Chippewa & Keokuk) ST. LUKE’S METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [1881-1928]
(in Concordia College Building) HOLY CROSS (Evangelical) LUTHERAN CHURCH [1858-67]
(at Park) "Anchor Hall" COMPTON HEIGHTS CHRISTIAN CHURCH [1894]
(at Park) "Anchor Hall" OUR REDEEMER EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH [1893-96]
(at Potomac) CHRIST EVANGELICAL CHURCH [1891-99]
(sw cor Walnut) SWEDISH GETHSEMANE [1895-1905]
400 CHURCH OF CHRIST-APOSTOLIC FAITH [1925]
400 JAMISON MEMORIAL (Christian Colored) METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [1929?-1945?]
400 NEW PROSPECT (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [1935-45]
405 JERUSALEM MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [1952-59]
407 FREE WILL [1920]
407 STRANGER’S REST BAPTIST CHURCH [1924-29]
503 BETHEL BAPTIST CHURCH (African-American) [1929]
507 JERUSALEM MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [1940-51]
507 ALL SAINTS GOSPEL FEAST CHURCH [1955]
507 CHURCH OF GOD AND CHRIST [1955-60]
1643 ST. LOUIS REVIVAL TEMPLE [1960]
1643 REVIVAL TEMPLE PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [1965-70]
2008 FAITH HEALING TABERNACLE [1960-65]
2008 FAITH TABERNACLE CHURCH [1970]
2141 JEFFERSON AVENUE GERMAN BAPTIST CHURCH [1892-1900]
2141 NEW APOSTOLIC CHURCH (of St. Louis) [1955-65]
2141 BETHLEHEM MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [1970]
2157 MEMORIAL METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [1893-1970]
2239 EMMAUS (Evangelical) LUTHERAN (Rock) CHURCH [1902-2003]
2300 EMMAUS (Evangelical) LUTHERAN (Rock) CHURCH [1894-1901]
2718 PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [1955-60]
2718 APOSTOLIC FAITH PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [1960]
2800 GOSPEL OF PEACE TABERNACLE [1960-64]
2843 FIRST PENTECOSTAL HOLINESS CHURCH (of St. Louis) [1955-59]
2843 SOUTH SIDE GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH [1960]
2843 FAITH GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH [1965-70]
2907 APOSTOLIC CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST [1965-70]
2928 INDEPENDENT FULL GOSPEL CHURCH [1965]
3002 CHURCH OF HARMONY [1965-70]
3006 CHURCH OF GOD MISSION [1946]
3018 SHINING LIGHT MISSION [1955-60]
3220 RIVERSIDE CHURCH OF CHRIST [1960-70]
3457 ST. MATTHEW’S (German) EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH (aka St. Matthew’s United Church of Christ) [1888-2003]
4135 JAMISON MEMORIAL (Christian Colored) METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [1929?-45?]

WEST

901 BETHANY TABERNACLE [1925

Back to the top


JOHN AVENUE, EAST

2137 ST. PAUL’S EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH [1924-2002]
2137 ST. PAUL’S LUTHERAN CHURCH [1926-2003]

Back to the top


JULIA AVENUE

(ne cor Menard) MENARD MISSION [1900]

Back to the top


JULIAN AVENUE

(ne cor Hampton Ave.) HAMPTON AVENUE CHRISTIAN CHURCH [1920]

Back to the top


JUNIATA STREET

3634 CHURCH OF CHRIST-UNIVERSAL BROTHERHOOD [1921]

Back to the top



Back to Street Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS