ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
J - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

JACKSON PLACE (E-W). A curving street around a circular area in the old town of North St. Louis founded in 1816 by Chambers, Christy and Wright. It was named for Andrew Jackson, seventh president of the United States. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

JACKSON STREET (E-W). Commemorates Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), American general in the War of 1812, seventh president of the United States and advocate of democracy for all, in the Columbia Place subdivision of 1907. (Baden-Riverview)

JAMES COOL PAPA BELL AVENUE (E-W). A portion of former Dickson Street between Jefferson Avenue and Webster Street, it is named for the homerun king of the old black baseball leagues. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

JAMES STREET (E W). In the Kingsbury Addition of 1856, this street was named for James W. Kingsbury, who married Julia Cabanne in 1830. In addition to land in the present Central West End, the Cabanne family owned this land on the near South Side. The property reverted to Kingsbury after his wife's death in 1836, and after his death in 1853, it was subdivided by his children. (Benton Park)

JAMIESON AVENUE (N-S). Originated in Dillon's Subdivision of 1884. Named in honor of William and James Jamieson, brothers who were early residents of the area. (Clifton) (Southwest)

JANUARY AVENUE (N-S). First appeared in the 1853 subdivision of Cheltenham, honoring Derrick A. January, an early landowner. It was named Cozens Avenue between Columbia and Wilson avenues until 1887; Brunswick Street between Gresham and Upton streets until 1928; and Fifty-ninth Street from Taylor to Chippewa until 1939. (The Hill) (Oakland) (Southwest)

JASPER PARK (N-S). "Jasper" is possibly of Persian origin, a name traditionally thought to be one of the three wise men who came to Bethlehem to worship the infant Jesus. Originated in the 1888 subdivision of Jasper Place. (The Hill)

JEANENE AVENUE (N-S). "Jeanene" is an unusual spelling of Jean, which originated in the Latin "Johanna," the feminine of "Johannes", or John. In the Hillcrest Park subdivision of 1951. (Morganford)

JEFFERSON AVENUE (N S). A major street in Charles DeWard's original 1836 plat of the St. Louis Commons, it honors Thomas Jefferson, third president of the United States, who authorized the Louisiana Purchase from France in 1803. (Benton Park) (Compton Hill) (Lafayette Square) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

JEFFERSON DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park named for President Thomas Jefferson. (Kingsbury)

JEFFREY DRIVE (E-W). Created in the Riverview Gardens subdivision of 1917, it was known as Grandview Drive until 1940. It honors George Jeffrey of Wim (1648-1689), English lord chancellor, who is known for the Bloody Assizes after the Duke of Monmouth's Rebellion in 1685. Jeffrey is the United States spelling for the English Geoffrey, whose second element means "peace." (Baden-Riverview)

JESSICA AVENUE (N-S). An Old Testament female name from the Hebrew for "he beholds". Originated in Shield's Subdivision of the Bingham Estate in 1889. (Oak Hill)

JOHANNA AVENUE (E-W). A feminine form of "John," which appeared in the Acme Heights subdivision of 1907 laid out by the Morrison family. (Walnut Park)

JOHN AVENUE (E-W & N-S). In John Gano Bryan's Second subdivision of 1865, it bears the given name of the developer. He named two other streets as
Gano and Bryan Avenues in this subdivision. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

JOHNSON STREET (N-S). Probably named for Charles P. Johnson, a well-known St. Louis businessman and lawyer who defended political boss Ed Butler in a bribery trial late in the 19th century. Johnson Street began as an alley in 1858. It was called Breden Street between Poplar Street and Clark Avenue until 1893 and was known as Targee Street between Clark and Market until 1903. The latter name honored fireman Thomas Targee who was killed in the city's great 1849 fire. (Downtown)

JONES STREET (N-S). When Jonathan Jones, the founder of the Jones Business College, subdivided his small tract in 1866, he named it after himself. (Grand Prairie)

JORDAN STREET (N-S). Named for the River Jordan in the Holy Land in the 1905 McDermott Addition to Baden. (Baden-Riverview)

JOSEPHINE STREET (N-S). French feminine diminutive of "Joseph," popularized in the person of Napoleon's wife. Laid out in the James B. Eads Subdivision of 1854. (Midtown)

JUDITH COURT (N-S). Ward 10, Precinct 2; Census Tract 1157. From the Hebrew word meaning "praise". (Marine Villa)

JULES STREET (N S). Originated in the Kingsbury Addition of 1856, this street memorializes Jules Cabanne Kingsbury, the only son of James Kingsbury. Jules was killed by a bolt of lightning in 1867 at the age of 32. (Benton Park)

JULIA STREET (E-W). Ward 22, Precinct 6,7, Census Tract 1099. From the Greek word meaning "soft-haired". (Soulard)

JULIAN AVENUE (E-W). In Hamilton R. Gamble's subdivision of Rose Hill, it was named for a member of the family. Julian became quite popular after the Civil War because of the work of George Washington Julian (1817-1899), a U.S. Representative from Indiana who strongly espoused the abolitionist cause from the mid-1840s through the Civil War. He remained an active politician and writer on political topics until his death. (Cabanne)

JUNIATA STREET (E-W). Named after a river in central Pennsylvania. The name was bestowed following a policy of naming east-west streets in the 1850s platting of the St. Louis Commons subdivision after rivers or Indian tribes. (Clifton) (The Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill)

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS