ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
I - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

IDAHO AVENUE (N-S). Derived from the Kiowa-Apache name for the Comanche Indian tribe, this street is named for the Idaho Territory created in 1863 by action of the United States Senate. It was called Eighth Street from Ivory to Virginia Avenue until 1902. (Carondelet) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Morganford)

ILLINOIS AVENUE (N S). Like many other north south streets created during the original platting of the old St. Louis Commons, this one is named to honor a state of the Union. The state title comes from the name of an Indian tribe who called themselves "Illini," meaning "perfect and accomplished men". (Benton Park) (Marquette-Cherokee)

INDIANA AVENUE (N S). Like many other north south streets created during the original platting of the old St. Louis Commons, this one is named to honor a state of the Union. Indiana takes its name from the Latinized form of "Indian" with the meaning "land of the Indians". (Benton Park) (Marquette-Cherokee)

INGE PLACE (E-W). North of Biddle Street between Fourteenth and Fifteenth Streets, it is named in honor of William Inge (1913-1973), American author and playwright. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

INTER-REGIONAL HIGHWAY (N-S). An extension of Third Street Highway from Poplar Street to MacArthur Bridge. The name still appears on official maps, although signs for the connecting segment of the highway system are hard to find. (Downtown)

INTERSTATE HIGHWAY 55 (N S). This expressway was conceived in the Malcolm Elliott Expressway Plan of 1952. As the southern anchor of that system's plan, it was given the name of the Ozark Expressway. The section of the expressway from Twelfth Street northeastward to the central business district was shown in the Elliott Plan as the Third Street Highway. (Benton Park) (Carondelet) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Morganford) (Soulard)

INTERSTATE HIGHWAY 44 (E-W). A limited access expressway opened in the 1970s as part of the national system of interstate highways authorized in 1956. (Clifton) (The Hill) (Compton Hill) (Lafayette Square)

INTERSTATE HIGHWAY 70 (E-W). Formerly known as the Mark Twain Expressway, it was opened in 1957. (Downtown) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman) (Walnut Park)

IOWA AVENUE (N-S). In the platting of the St. Louis Commons during 1854, the city's street-naming policy called for north-south streets to be named for various states in the Union, in this case the state of Iowa. It took its name from the Iowa River, and that, in turn, originated with the Iowa tribe. (Compton Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee)

IRON STREET (E W). Initially known as I Street in the town of Carondelet and named Illinois Street in 1854. In 1881 82, as part of a general effort to eliminate street name duplications for postal purposes, it was rechristened Iron Street in recognition of the iron industry which has long been a feature of Carondelet's economy. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

ITASKA DRIVE (E-W). Platted in the Villa Nova Subdivision of 1946, using the name of Itaska Street. (Southwest)

ITASKA STREET (E W). Although misspelled, this street was named for Lake Itasca, Minnesota, during the platting of the St. Louis Commons in the 1850s. In 1832, this lake was identified as the source of the Mississippi River by Henry Rowe Schoolcraft, who coined the name out of the Latin words "veritas caput" (true source). (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

IVANHOE AVENUE (N-S). Originally Lake Avenue in the 1871 Christy Subdivision in Gratiot League Square. It retained that name until 1881 when it was renamed to honor Sir Walter Scott's novel Ivanhoe. (Clifton) (Southwest)

IVORY AVENUE (N S). A diagonal route from Lemay Ferry Road to Carondelet, this street was known as the Old County Road until 1882, when it was renamed to honor John P. Ivory, an owner of extensive land holdings west of Carondelet. Ivory platted the South St. Louis Suburb addition of 1858. (Carondelet)

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS