ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
I - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

I AM TEMPLE (-St. Germain Foundation) pre 1965
211 S. Skinker Blvd [2003]

IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH [Catholic] 1853-1870
Original parish of this name was located at Eight and Chestnut, but closed later. Moved to Jefferson Ave. (at Lucas Pl.) Dedicated Sept. 10, 1854 by Archibishop Kenrick. First pastor: James Duggan, abandoned in 1870. (aka CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION) [1870]

IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (of the Blessed Virgin Mary) CHURCH [Catholic] 1876
Organized in 1876 under the name ST. KEVIN’S, the congregation had two earlier sites built in 1874 at 8th and Chestnut and in 1889 a few blocks north of the present site at Jefferson & Locust. Cornerstone for new church laid in 1904 and at the dedication (Dec. 19, 1908), Archbishop Glennon conferred a new title on the church. The old St. Kevin’s Church became the parish school. Immaculate Conception had been the name of a previous church that went defunct. Designed by Barnett, Hayes, & Barnett.3120 Lafayette Ave. (at 1701 Longfellow Blvd). Immaculate Conception merged with ST. HENRY’S (1230 California at Rutger) in 1977.

IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY CHURCH [Catholic] 1952
4092 Blow St. [2003]

IMMANUEL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1891
Immanuel Baptist Church was originally at 5850 Cates, near Hamilton (Cabanne Dist.), is now located at 10360 Olive Street Road in St. Louis county. Organized Sept. 1891 with thirty former members from Second Baptist and two from Delmar Church at ‘Conclave Hall (Maple & Hamilton). Located at 5850 Cates Ave (nr Hamilton Ave.) by 1895. The church cornerstone was laid March, 1892, a tudor designed structure built of Bedford stone, it was destroyed by fire in March 1928 and completely rebuilt. Their first minister was the Rev. Addison Moore. Merged with DELMAR BAPTIST Nov. 14, 1917, merger dissolved Jan. 28,1918. There was a brief history of the church written by Mr. Barrett and published in the St. Louis Star Times in 1935 (part of their church series). The old building was later the home of the Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church, which has moved to 8325 Scudder Avenue in Kinloch. [1955]

IMMANUEL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Congregational] 1891
Immanuel Congregational Church is located at 3460 Jamieson (ne cor Marquette) 6801Hancock, Rev. J. C. Calhoun in 1910, the present church was completed in 1925 at 3460 Jamieson Ave. (at Marquette) [2003]

IMMANUEL EPISCOPAL REFORMED [Episcopal] pre 1890
Pine (nr. 23rd) Rev. Joseph D. Wilson, pastor [1900]

IMMANUEL EVANGELICAL CHURCH [Evangelical] 1889
Organized in 1889 by Rev. Charles Pleger, on Euclid near Washington Ave. In 1957 the Evangelical Church became part of the United Church of Christ. The church moved to Ferguson in 1929 and established a new building at 126 Church St. [1929]

IMMANUEL (Evangelical) LUTHERAN CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran, ELCA] (German) 1847
Immanuel Lutheran Church was formed as an offshoot of Trinity Church, was a mission at 7th and Cole. First church was erected at 11th and Franklin (now Dr. Martin Luther King) in 1847 and dedicated Feb. 27,1848.. Led by Rev. J. F. Buenger (1847-1882), this was the second Lutheran congregation in St. Louis. Fire destroyed their first church on Dec. 9, 1865. Second church was at 15th and Morgan (Delmar), constructed in March 1868, where the congregation worshiped for nearly 50 years. The third and final move was made in 1919 to 3540 Marcus (at Lexington, in Fairgrounds area.), with the current church cornerstone laid in 1927, adjacent to Western Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery. Designed by Ewald Froese and dedicated 1928. (aka EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN IMMANUEL CHURCH) [1965]

IMMANUEL GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH [Evangelical] pre 1900
Maple Ave. (sw cor Euclid Ave) Rev. Arthur Fischer, pastor [1920]

IMMANUEL METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH, South [Methodist Episcopal] 1888
Now called IMMANUEL UNITED METHODIST, the church was organized in May 1888 in the Benton area or Benton Station, just east of Ecoff Ave. Immanuel Methodist Church's first place of worship was a small frame building on the SW corner of Bruno and Forest Avenues. A new church was erected on SW corner of Blendon Place and Bruno by pastor Rev. J. D. Vincel, and known as BENTON METHODIST CHURCH. At the 1890 dedication the name IMMANUEL METHODIST was adopted. About 1897 a wooden church was erected in the present site at 2105 McCausland (nr Stanley Ave.), and the existing brick church was completed in 1927, with first services on Jan. 18, 1928. (aka IMMANUEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH) [2003]

IMMANUEL PRESBYTERIAN [Presbyterian] pre 1910
Newstead Ave. (nw cor Penrose) Rev. H. M. Gilbert, pastor [1915]

IMMANUEL UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
See IMMANUEL EVANGELICAL CHURCH

IMMANUEL’S CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran, MO Synod] (German) pre 1875
Morgan & 16th Sts. Rev. J. F. Buenger, pastor [1920]

INDEPENDENT ASSEMBLY OF SPIRITUALIST OF MISSOURI [Spiritualist] pre 1935
3549 Arsenal [1935]

INDEPENDENT CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST [Christian Sciene] pre 1910
3723 Olive [1910]

INDEPENDENT CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Christian, Congregationalist] (German) 1856
Founded in 1856 at sw corner 8th and Mound Sts. By German Protestant immigrants under the name INDEPENDENT EVANGELICAL PROTESTANT CHURCH, pastor 1866 Rev. Paul Lorentzen. Their second location was 1223 Tyler (at 13th ) by 1890. Joined the Fellowship of Congregational Churches in 1935. 4001 Fair in 1930. [1952]

INDEPENDENT EVANGELICAL PROTESTANT CHURCH
See INDEPENDENT CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

INDEPENDENT EVANGELICAL PROTESTANT CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST
See CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST

INDEPENDENT FULL GOSPEL CHURCH pre 1965
2928 S. Jefferson Ave. [1965]

INTERDENOMINATION CHURCH pre 1955
2228 S. 18th St. [1955] 2500 S. Broadway [1955]

INTERDENOMINATIONAL CHURCH OF CHRIST pre 1965
1221 N. Taylor Ave. [1965]

INTERNATIONAL CHRISTIAN VOLUNTEERS pre 1925
718 Wash [1925]

INTERNATIONAL HOLY SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1965
1488 Shawmut Pl [1965]

 INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF KRISHNA CONSCIOUSNESS [Krishna] 1969
4558 Laclede Ave. Founded by Vamandev Des and his wife Indira Dasi. [1969]

INTERNATIONAL TRUE LIGHT SPIRITUAL TEMPLE [Spiritualist] pre 1952
1926 Whittier [1955]

ISRAEL CONGREGATION [Jewish] pre 1955
4202 Folsom Ave. [1960]

ISRAEL GOD’S CHURCH ZION OF THE HOLY ONE pre 1952
4244 Easton Ave. [1955]

ISRAEL OF GOD CHURCH pre 1960
4214 West Papin [1965]

ISRAEL TIPHERETH [Jewish] (orthodox) pre 1935
4200 Blaine Ave. [1940]

ITALIAN CHRISTIAN CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Congregational] 1937-1952
2126 St. Louis Ave. (at Rauschenbach) Former home of Second German Swedenborgian Church [1955]

ITALIAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH [Evangelical] 1928
5343 Botanical Ave. [1965]


Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS