ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
H - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

HADLEY STREET (N-S). Known as North Twelfth Street until 1932 when it was named for Missouri Governor Herbert Hadley, who won a national reputation for his prosecution of oil trusts as Missouri's attorney general between 1904 and 1908. (Downtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

HALF STREET (N-S). Located in Haven's private subdivision of 1912, the name acknowledged this street's restricted width when it was platted. (Oakland)

HALL STREET (N-S). For Edward Hall, a ferry operator on the Missouri River. Until 1881, it was Kennett Street from North Market to Ferry Street and Water Street between Grand and Adelaide. (Baden-Riverview) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

HALLIDAY AVENUE (E-W). A principal street in the Switzer Place Subdivisions of 1892 and 1896. It was probably named for Ellen M. Halliday, a resident (and probably a small land owner) in the area during the year of the first development. (Compton Hill)

HALLS FERRY CIRCLE (E,W,N,& S). Constructed during 1930s. See also explanation for HALLS FERRY ROAD (N-S). (Baden-Riverview)

HALLS FERRY ROAD (N-S). Began as a road from Baden to a ferry operated by Edward Hall on the Missouri River about 1836. Although the ferry ownership changed, the road has retained its original name. (Baden-Riverview)

HAMBURG AVENUE (E-W). Platted in McDermott and Hayden's Hanover Heights Addition of 1906, it is named for Hamburg, Germany. (Morganford)

HAMILTON AVENUE and BOULEVARD (N-S). Honors former Missouri governor, Hamilton Rowan Gamble, owner of the extensive Rose Hill tract north of Maple Avenue, which was subdivided in 1871. (Arlington) (Cabanne) (Kingsbury)

HAMILTON TERRACE (E-W). Like Hamilton Avenue, this street honored Hamilton R. Gamble when it was laid out in Hayden and McDermott's Rose Hill subdivision of 1905. It was named Bertha Avenue from Hamilton to Hodiamont until 1912. (Cabanne)

HAMMETT PLACE (E-W). In 1923 this street's name was changed from Branconnier Place to Hammett to commemorate Benjamin F. Hammett, a real estate man who subdivided land in the vicinity during the late-19th century. (Grand Prairie)

HAMPSHIRE DRIVE (E-W). For a maritime county in southern England. It appeared originally in the 1963 Southampton Heights Subdivision. (Southwest)

HAMPTON AVENUE (N-S). Recognizes an urban district in Middlesex County, England. The name first appeared on St. Louis maps in 1913 when the thoroughfare known as Sulphur Avenue between Bancroft and Loughborough was renamed Hampton. The section between Oakland and Manchester avenues was named Billon Avenue until 1921. (Clifton) (The Hill) (Oakland) (Southwest)

HAMPTON VILLAGE PLAZA. Located south of Chippewa between Hampton and Sulfur. See also explanation for HAMPTON AVENUE. (South Hampton)
HANCOCK AVENUE (E-W). Honors Winfield Scott Hancock (1824-1886), the Civil War Union Army general who repulsed Pickett's charge at Gettysburg. Appeared initially in the 1888 subdivision of Harlem Place. (Southwest)

HARLAN AVENUE (N-S). Named in honor of John Marshall Harlan (1833-1911), an Associate Justice of the United State Supreme Court for more than three decades. Part of McDermott's Broadway Heights Addition of 1906. (Baden-Riverview)

HARNEY AVENUE (E-W). Named for General William Selby Harney (1800-1889), an American general in the Mexican and Civil wars. Seen first in 1891 in the Harney Heights Subdivision. (Walnut Park)

HARPER STREET (E-W). Memorializes Joel G. Harper, a real estate agent and developer who was associated with the Fair Place Addition of 1860. (Fairground)

HARRIS AVENUE (E-W & N-S). In Benjamin O'Fallon's 1873 subdivision east of Bellefontaine Road, it was named for a son-in-law of Colonel John O'Fallon. In the Fairground neighborhood, it was Pansey Street from Kossuth to Lee until 1911 and Sophie Avenue from Ashland to Margaretta to 1925. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

HARTFORD STREET (E-W). Appeared in the 1881 Tower Grove Park and Grand Avenue Addition, it was named after the home office city of a Connecticut Insurance Company that was involved in the development. (Clifton) (The Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill)

HAVEN STREET (E W). Originally N Street in the 1832 town plat of Carondelet. The section of the street between Virginia and Colorado was called Nebraska Street from 1854 until 1882. The designation was supposed to honor Edward Haren, a Carondelet land owner. When a city ordinance changed the thoroughfare's label from Nebraska to Haren, a typographical error spelled it as "Haven", and so it has remained since. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

HAWTHORNE BOULEVARD (E-W & N-S). One of the two principal thoroughfares in the 1890s Compton Heights Subdivision of luxurious homes, this street honors Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864), the American novelist and short-story writer. (Compton Hill)

HAZEL AVENUE (E-W). "Hazel" is a tree name that came into popularity as a female first name about 1890 just when it became fashionable to use botanical names. Showed up in the Hoeltmann Heights subdivision of 1889. (Arlington)

HEALY COURT (E-W). Most frequently the name "Healy" is English and Irish, is one of several spellings of the name of a person "who came from Healaugh (high clearing or wood), the name of several places in England." "Healy Court" then could be "High Wood Court". First appeared in the Carondelet Gardens Number One subdivision of 1950. (Morganford)

HEBER STREET (N-S). This German name designates "one who worked as a laborer in lifting or hoisting materials". "Heben", the word from which "Heber" is derived, in German means to heave or to raise. The name first appeared in John Gano Bryan's Second Addition of 1865. The name "Heber" had come into promimence a few years before this subdivision was laid out through Heber C. Kimball, an aide to Mormon leader Bringham Young. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

HEBERT STREET (E-W). Ignace Hebert, Sr., was granted a half block of land in 1769, on which his wife, Helene (nee Danis) Hebert, had erected buildings with the permission of Pierre Laclede in 1765. The couple left behind seven heirs. The Hebert Tract subdivision of 1846, in which Hebert Street appears, is a tribute to the Widow Hebert whose ownership was confirmed in land hearings in the 1830s. In local history, the most famous of the family members was Francois Hebert, born in 1750, who was killed in the 1780 attack on the village of St. Louis. The street was named New St. Charles Road from Elliott to Prairie until 1881. (Arlington) (Fairground) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

HEGER COURT (N-S). The Heger family were 20th-century owners of part of the Payne tract in the Shaw area. The family developed the Heger Court subdivision in 1923. On some maps of the period the family name is misspelled Hegar, but this is incorrect. From the Englis, a "heger" was someone "who made hedges or fences" or "one in charge of a park or forest." (Shaw)

HELEN STREET (N-S). "Helen" is from the Greek "Helene", the feminine of "Helenos", meaning "the bright one." The most famous Helen, of course, was Helen of Troy of whom Christopher Marlowe wrote in Doctor Faustus, "Was this the face that launched a thousand ships/ And burnt the topless towers of Illium?" The name appeared in the Clemens subdivision of 1881. The Clemenses were large land owners, and the Helen may have been a family member. The street was known as Twenty-first Street between Mullanphy and Madison Streets until 1883. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

HELM DRIVE (N-S). In the 1950 St. Louis Hills Estates Number 4, and named for John Helm, president of the John Helm Builder's Supplies Company. (Southwest)

HEMP AVENUE. (N-S). A namesake of Lewis W. Hemp, president of the Chouteau Trust Company, whose seven-story bank and office building occupied the frontage on the western side of Hemp Avenue between Manchester and Vandeventer during the 1920s and later. (Shaw)

HEMPSTEAD STREET (E-W). Originating in LaBeaume's 1835 Addition to St. Louis, it honors William Hempstead (1780-1817), an early St. Louis lawyer who adjusted land grant claims. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

HENNER AVENUE (E-W). Named for Emil E. Henner, president of the Star Construction Company, in Bircher's subdivision of 1906, (Arlington) (Walnut Park)

HENRIETTA PLACE & STREET (E-W). When James S. Thomas dedicated his Compton Hill Subdivision in 1854, he named streets for three of his daughters, Henrietta, Susan and Mary Ann. Between Ohio and California Avenues, this street was known as Wellington Avenue until 1881. (Compton Hill)

HENRY AVENUE )N-S). Appearing in the Hermann Heights Subdivision of 1905, it was named for Frank R. Henry, auditor of the United Railways Transit Company and a relative of Rolla Wells. (Oak Hill)

HERDER STREET (E-W). Laid out in the Farrar Addition of 1850, it honors Johann Gottfried von Herder (1744-1803), German poet, critic and philosopher. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

HEREFORD STREET (N-S). Honors Mrs. Frances Hereford Sublette, wife of the fur and Indian trader, Solomon Sublette, in the Fairmount Heights Subdivision of 1868, part of which was developed in the Sublette family lands. (The Hill) (Oakland) (Southwest)

HERMITAGE AVENUE (N-S). In the 1886 Shield's Subdivision of the Buchanan Tract, it commemorates the Hermitage, family home of Andrew Jackson, in Nashville, Tennessee. (Oakland)

HERTLING PLACE (E-W). "Hertling" is from the German, a "descendent of little Hart, a pet form of names beginning with Hart (hard)". Appeared in the private McRee Place Subdivision of 1892. (Central West End)

HEWITT AVENUE (N-S). When it was laid out in the 1885 subdivision of the Sutton Tract, the name recognized Charles Hewitt, a St. Louis real estate man of the period. (Oakland)

HI POINTE PLACE (E-W). In A. J. Kuh's subdivision of 1924, it is named for the surrounding Hi-Pointe community area, a high spot in the landscape, especially when approached from the east. (Oakland)

HI VIEW AVENUE (E-W). A coined name by the developing company in the 1930 subdivision of St. Louis Hills Number 2. (Southwest)

HICKMAN STREET (E W). This street was named for Benjamin F. Hickman, clerk of the U. S. Circuit Court, who developed the Ormiston Place Subdivision of the 1860s. (Marquette-Cherokee)

HICKORY STREET (E W). Hickory originally served as the name for a street in the central business district, but that was renamed Wash Street in 1842. The next year, Hickory Street appeared on maps of the near south side. The name is taken from the hickory tree. (Lafayette Square) (Midtown) (Shaw) (Soulard)

HIGH CIRCLE (E-W). In the St. Louis Hills Estates Number One of 1944, and named for its elevated situation. (Southwest)

HIGHFIELD ROAD (N-S). Located in the St. Louis Hills Estates Number 2 of 1945, it appears to be named for a nearby field that lays on an elevation. (Southwest)

HIGHLAND AVENUE (E-W). A 1929 city ordinance changed the name of this street from Spalding Avenue, between Euclid Avenue and the city limits, to Highland Avenue. A portion of the avenue formed the route of the Spalding Avenue street car line until it was discontinued in 1930. (Arlington) (Grand Prairie)

HIGHLAND PARK DRIVE (E-W). An industrial street off Macklind Avenue, it is named for the Forest Park Highlands, an amusement park that formerly occupied the site. (Oakland)

HILDESHEIM AVENUE (N-S). In McDermott and Hayden's Hannover Heights Addition of 1906, it was christened for the city of Hildesheim in Lower Saxony in Germany. The community was famous for its medieval architecture until destroyed in World War II. (Morganford)

HILGARD PLACE (E-W). When laid out in St. Louis Hills Estates Number 4, it honored H. C. Hilgard, a deputy surveyor to Frederick Pitzman in the survey of St. Louis Hills. (Southwest)

HILL STREET (E W). This street was named Delor until 1893 when it was renamed by St. Louis ordinance 17121 to honor Dr. Frederick Hill, a member of the Carondelet real estate firm of Hill and Hammel. (Marquette-Cherokee)

HILLER PLACE (N-S). An English name, it originally meant a "dweller on, or near, a hill". Originated in A.B. Finch's private subdivision of 1920. (Walnut Park)

HILLS TERRACE (N-S). A block-long private subdivision from about 1900, it honors Charles Spear Hills, who came to St. Louis in 1866. He managed the Daniel Catlin Tobacco Company from 1868 until 1899 when the company was sold, then built a French Renaissance-style mansion at 5056 Lindell Boulevard which stood until 1939. (Grand Prairie)

HILLSLAND AVENUE (E-W). Named by the Willmore Organization, the developer of St. Louis Hills Number 2 in 1930, as an indication of the hilly nature of the development. (Southwest)

HODIAMONT AVENUE (N-S). Commemorates Emanuel de Hodiamont, former Belgian count, who was a pioneer settler and landowner in the vicinity. Northward from Delmar it was part of the Olive Street Plank Road in the 1850s and was designated a county road by 1865. (Arlington) (Cabanne)

HOEHN STREET (N S). West of Tucker Boulevard at Lafayette Avenue, this street was platted in the Koncen subdivision of 1865 and apparently named for one of the developers. Originating in Germany, the name "Hoehn" means "the slanderous, scornful, sarcastic man". (Soulard)

HOFFMAN AVENUE (E-W). Appearing in the 1910 subdivision of Ivanhoe Place and named for Samuel E. Hoffman, vice-president of the Mississippi Valley Trust Company. (Clifton)

HOGAN STREET (N-S). Located in the Jane Chambers subdivision of 1870, it was named for John Hogan (1805-1892), St. Louis postmaster, civic booster, member of Congress, politician and banker. This street was Twentieth Street from O'Fallon to North Market Street until 1883. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

HOLLY AVENUE (E-W & N-S). When Benjamin O'Fallon laid out his 1873 subdivision east of Bellefontaine Road, he called this street Holly because of the affinity of his father, Colonel John O'Fallon, for plant life and evergreens. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

HOLLY HILLS AVENUE and BOULEVARD (E W). Originally K Street in the town of Carondelet and changed to Kansas Street in 1854 when the east west streets were given names by the city of Carondelet. It retained that name (with one section being called Kingshighway Southwest) until 1931, when it was titled Holly Hills after the 1923 subdivision of that name north of Carondelet Park in the Carondelet neighborhood. (Carondelet) (Morganford) (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

HOLT AVENUE (N-S). Named for John Holt, a coal miner with the Parker-Russell Mining Company, in the Russell Real Estate Company's Fourth Subdivision of 1912. (Oak Hill)

HOMELAND PLACE (N-S). The name coined by the developer to emphasize the pleasant character of the subdivision when the subdividing company laid out the St. Louis Hills Estates Number One of 1944. (Southwest)

HOOKE AVENUE (E-W). Laid out in the South Euclid Heights subdivision of 1909, it honors John A. Hooke, who was assistant sewer commissioner at the time. (Walnut Park)

HORNER AVENUE (E-W). Platted in Horner's Addition to Benton in 1885, it memorializes the subdivision's developer, William H. Horner, then a circuit court judge. (Oakland)

HORNSBY AVENUE (E-W). Named for Thomas Hornsby, a pioneer landowner, in the Walter Place subdivision of 1904. (Baden-Riverview)

HORTENSE PLACE (E-W). In the 1900 private Hortense Subdivision, it was named by developer Jacob Goldman in honor of his late daughter, Hortense. Goldman was president of the St. Louis Cotton Exchange and a partner in the Lesser-Goldman Cotton Company. (Central West End)

HORTON PLACE (E-W). Subdivided in 1887 when the name of landowner William M. Horton was given to the subdivision and the street. (Cabanne)

HORTUS COURT (N-S). A short private way north of Magnolia Street, across the street from Tower Grove Park, the name is Latin for "plant." The street was laid out early in the 20th century. (Shaw)

HOWARD STREET (E-W). When laid out in the 1845 subdivision of the heirs of John Mullanphy, it commemorated Benjamin Howard (1760-1814), governor of the Louisiana Territory from 1810 to 1813. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

HOWELL STREET (E-W). For Clarence N. Howell, a newspaper writer for the St. Louis "Republic," in the Hornsby Heights First Addition of 1906. (Baden-Riverview)

HUDLER STREET (N-S). Named for contractor Charles L. Hudler. The street was the only one in the Davis private subdivision of 1910. (Clifton)

HUGHES PLACE (N-S). Originated in the Hughes Place Subdivision of 1913. "Hughes" is English and Welsh with a historical meaning of "the son of Hugh (spirit; mind)". (Oakland)

HULL PLACE (N-S). In Elizabeth Hull's subdivision of 1857, it was named for the land owner and developer. (Fairground)

HUMBOLDT AVENUE (E-W). Honored Alexander von Humboldt (1769-1859), the German explorer, scientist and natural philosopher, in the 1868 Garden suburb. (Baden-Riverview)

HUMMEL AVENUE (N-S). Probably named for the Hummelsheim family. One of them owned property at Gravois and Tesson Ferry Road and probably held property nearby in the city as well. Later Charles Hummelsheim lived in Afton. The street name first appeared in Hayden's Addition to Rosa Park of 1909. (Oak Hill)

HUMPHREY STREET (E W). Named for Humphrey Green, president of the Connecticut-based insurance company which developed the Tower Grove and Grand Avenue Addition of 1881. (Marquette-Cherokee)

HUNT AVENUE (E-W). Called Ridge Avenue on an 1867 map, this street in the McRee subdivision was named for Charles L. Hunt, secretary of the Laclede Race Course Association, whose grounds occupied a portion of the McRee City area before it was surveyed and parceled for urban settlement. (Shaw)

HUNTLEY AVENUE (N-S). A portion of what was Ewing Avenue between Olive Street and Dr. Martin Luther King Drive, renamed in 1984 to honor the late pastor of the Central Baptist Church. (Midtown)

HURCK STREET (E W). Laid out by the city of Carondelet between Davis and Marceau streets. Named for the family of Peter J. Hurck which owned a large tract of land on that street. (Carondelet)

HURST COURT (N-S). Titled by the developer of the 1923 South Hurst subdivision. "Hurst" is English, for someone who dwelled in the woods or on a knoll or hillock. (Morganford)

HUTCHINSON STREET (N-S). In the 1854 subdivision of West Lowell, it honors Reverend E. Carter Hutchinson, the developer of the Lowell Addition. He was a Protestant Episcopal minister, landowner and real estate developer. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

HYAMS PLACE (N-S). Named for Henry M. Hyams, a salesman for the Davis Realty and Development Company, in the St. Louis Avenue Cutoff subdivision of 1921. (Fairground)

HYDRAULIC AVENUE (N-S). Located in the 1913 South End Park Subdivision, it was named for the nearby yard of the Hydraulic Press Brick Company in the 4900 block of Gravois avenue. (Oak Hill)

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS