ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
H - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

HAGADIS ACHIM SHAARE ZION [Jewish] pre 1925
2823 Dayton, Rabbi Baer Rasulofsky [1925]

HAMILTON AVENUE CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] 1902
1260 Hamilton Blvd. (sw cor Plymouth Ave.) Rev. F. A. Marshall, pastor. Now home to St. Paul A.M.E. [1955]

HAMILTON STREET GOSPEL HALL pre 1965
1339 Hamilton Ave. [1965]

HAMILTON TABERNACLE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
1124 Hamilton Blvd [1965]

HAMITE FAHAME ISS LAUM CHURCH pre 1965
4858 Easton Ave. [1965]

HAMMETT PLACE CHRISTIAN [Christian, Disciples of Christ] pre 1905
Hammett Pl. (sw cor Marcus Ave.) Rev. Samuel B. Moore, pastor. Hammett & Warren Sts. [1915]
See MEMORIAL BOULEVARD CHRISTIAN CHURCH

HAMPTON AVENUE CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] pre1920
Hampton Ave. (ne cor. Julian) Rev. B. H. Bruner [1920]

HARBOR LIGHT CORP.
See SALVATION ARMY

HARBOR LIGHT CENTER OUTPOST CHURCH pre 1960
1304 Franklin Ave. [1960]

HARDIMAN CHAPEL A.M.E. CHURCH [A.M.E.] pre 1930
1829 Carr in 1930, 3303 Carr by [1935]

HARLEM PLACE (Methodist) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1890
3303 Jamieson Ave. (sw cor Fyler), Rev. H. H. Osborne, pastor in 1910. Moved to Watson & Pernod in 1950 and became known as CHRIST METHODIST CHURCH. [1950]

HARMONY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1964
3191 S. Spring. Currently at 3502 Grace. [2003]

HARMONY MISSION [Spiritualist] pre 1921
Marcus Hall – 4700 Easton, pastor: Mrs. Adeler. [1921]

HARMONY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1955
4211 Hereford in 1955. 3801 Connecticut by 1965. [1970]

HARNEY HEIGHTS (Mission) pre 1910
2410 Geraldine Ave. (se cor Thekla Ave.) 5088 Geraldine Ave., Rev. George Percival by 1920 [1920]

HARRIS NATHAN CONGREGATION
See NATHAN HARRIS CONGREGATION

HARVEY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1952
901 Lami [1952]

HAVEN OF REST TEMPLE pre 1970
4577 Easton Ave. [1970]

HAVEN STREET METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH, South [Methodist Episcopal] 1920-1941
Organized in 1856, as CARONDELET METHODIST, SOUTH. They became HAVEN STREET METHODIST in 1920. They changed their name in 1941 to MELLOW MEMORIAL METHODIST CHURCH. [1940]

HEARON BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1925
302 Convent [1925]

HEAVENLY HOME CHURCH pre 1965
1411 N. Grand Blvd. [1965]

HEDDING CHAPEL
See TRINITY METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH

HELENIC GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION
See CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION

HELPING HAND HOLY GHOST SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1960
3501 Easton Ave. [1960]

HELPING HAND SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1952
2408 N. Newstead. 4654 St. Louis Ave. by 1955 [1955]

HIGH STREET MISSION
See COMPTON HILL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

HIGH STREET PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1870?
Sw cor. High St. & Clark Ave. Rev. Thomas Marshall, pastor
See COMPTON HILL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

HIGHWAY CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF CHRIST [Church of Christ] pre 1946
2358 Spruce [1946]

HILL’S CHAPEL (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
1405 Belt Ave. in 1960. 5538 Wabada Ave. by 1965 [1970]

HODIAMONT BIBLE CLASS pre 1915
6119 Horton Pl. [1915]

HOLINESS CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] (African-American) pre 1910
2924 Belt Ave., Rev. George C. Thomas, pastor in 1910. 5473 St. Louis Ave. by 1915. [1920]

HOLINESS CHURCH OF OUR LORD pre 1955
2913 Easton Ave. [1955]

HOLINESS CHRISTIAN MISSION pre 1915
3137 Olive in 1915. 11 S. Ewing by 1920 [1920]

HOLINESS CHURCH [Holiness] (African-American) pre 1925
1727 S. 3rd St. [1925]

HOLINESS HOUSE OF PRAYER pre 1955
3226 Franklin Ave. [1955]

HOLINESS MISSION pre 1900
2629 Pendleton Ave., James C. Cutler, overseer in 1900. 2919 Chouteau Ave. by 1920 [1920]

HOLINESS MISSION pre 1900
2823 Easton Ave. [1900]

HOLINESS MISSION [Holy Rollers] pre 1935
1229 Merchant [1935]

HOLINESS SPIRITUAL HOUSE OF PRAYER pre 1955
2000a Cole [1955]

HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD CHURCH pre 1930
1315 N. Jefferson Ave. [1930]

HOLLY GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1929
1211 S. 23rd, Rev. Luke Simpkins, pastor, 1929. 1420 Delmar Blvd by 1946. 2343 Cole by 1952. 4039 Cote Brilliante by 1960 [1970]

HOLY ANGELS CHURCH [Catholic] 1866 – 1992
Father Michael Welby (2866-1869) organized Holy (Guardian) Angels Church at 1020 St. Ange (at La Salle) Street, on land donated by John Dillon. The cornerstone of the church, a neat brick structure, was laid on July 9, 1866 by Archbishop P. R. Kenrick, and the church dedicated on January 1, 1867. He was succeeded as pastor by Rev. Francis M. Kielty (1869-1906), and assisted by Rev. M. J. McLaughlin. 1020 St. Ange Streets by 1960. New church and school opened Feb. 4, 1962 at 1401 La Salle (922 Park Ave.) Aka HOLY GUARDIAN ANGEL’S. [1992]

HOLY CANAAN BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1955
629 N. Vandeventer [1955]

HOLY CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1935
2358 Adams [1935]

HOLY CHURCH OF SERVICE pre 1935
2224 Chouteau Ave. [1935]

HOLY COMMUNION CHURCH [Episcopal] 1869-1938?
Holy Communion Church was established as a mission of Trinity Church and formally organized Jan. 24, 1869 under Rev. P. G. Roberts. Their first church was opened at 609 Leffingwell (NW corner of Washington) in 1877. Moved to 2809 Washington Ave., Rev. E. S. White by 1925. Moved to Delmar and Jackson (University City) in 1938. [1938]

HOLY CROSS CHAPEL
See CHAPEL OF THE HOLY CROSS [Episcopal]

HOLY CROSS CHURCH [Catholic] (Irish and German) 1858-1993
Holy Cross Church was formed in Feb. 1858 by Rev. Casper Doebbener of Holy Trinity Church. Prior to this the German residents of Baden attended mass at a private chapel of the Carmelite Convent in Calvary Cemetery. A church was dedicated on May 3rd, 1864, organized as a mixed Irish-German congregation. First pastor was Frederick Brinkhoff from 1864-65, succeeded by Father J. A. Stroombergen. On November 12th, 1865, Rev. Herman Wigger (1865-97) succeeded to the pastorate. The Irish portion of the congregation withdrew in 1872 to form Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church and Holy Cross became a German national church. A new (current) church was dedicated on May 23, 1909. This church is located at 8115 Church Road near Baden Avenue. Merged with Mt. Carmel to form: Our Lady of the Holy Cross in 1993. National Register Mar. 26, 1980 [1993]

HOLY CROSS (Evangelical) LUTHERAN CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran] (German) 1858
Organized in Feb. 1858 as The Concordia District Congregation. Services were held in the Concordia College (Seminary) building on South Jefferson Ave. until 1867, when the Holy Cross Lutheran Church was completed and the new name adopted. Located at 2650 Miami Street, between Texas and Ohio Avenues, designed by Griesse of Cleveland, this had been the site of a cemetery owned by the church. Their first pastor was Rev. Theodore J. Brohan (1858-1878). In 1896 the tornado tore off the steeple but another one replaced it. In the nineteenth century, Holy Cross stood in a neighborhood stronghold of major Lutheran institutions: Concordia Seminary, Lutheran Hospital, and Concordia Publishing House. [2003]

HOLY CROSS LUTHERAN CHURCH for the Deaf [Lutheran] pre 1946
4517 W. Pine Blvd in 1946. 4996 Oleatha by 1960. 101 N. Beaumont by 1986. [2003]

HOLY CROSS MISSION 1903
At various locations in North St. Louis. Originally called MISSION OF THE HOLY CROSS, sometimes CASS STREET MISSION, then AMERICAN CHURCH HOUSE. Merged with GRACE CHURCH to form GRACE-HOLY CROSS HOUSE, in 1903. Reorganized as a mission in 1923 and HOLY CROSS separated from GRACE. Survives as GRACE-HILL HOUSE. 1402 N. 14th St. [1910]

HOLY CROSS SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1940
1619 S. 3rd St. [1940]

HOLY FAMILY CHAPEL [Catholic] 1899
6400 Michigan Ave. Chapel for the use of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet Convent. Gilluk Brothers Construction Co., general contractor, Aloysius F. Gillick, architect. [1899?]

HOLY FAMILY CHURCH [Catholic] (German) 1898
Holy Family Church was organized Nov. 6, 1898 by Rev. John F. Reuther, pastor from 1898-1927). An old home on Wyoming St. was rented and two rooms on the first floor were furnished as a chapel. A temporary church was dedicated in 1899 on the NW corner of 3221 Oak Hill (at Humphrey). The present church at 4129 Humphrey Street (at Oak Hill), was dedicated by Cardinal Glennon on June 19, 1927. [2003]

HOLY FAMILY MISSION HOUSE pre 1930
6690 Oakland Ave. [1930]

HOLY GHOST CHURCH [Catholic] (German) 1879 – 1960
Built by Father Peter Wigger., Rev. Michael Busch was first pastor. Reorganized by Rev. Augustine Huettler. Holy Ghost Church was dedicated in 1909 under pastorate of Rev. John Rothesteiner. Located at 1901 North Taylor and Garfield. Closed in the 1970s, records at Church of the Visitation, 4515 Evans Avenue, (63113). The church was razed in 1975. (aka CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST) [1960]

HOLY GHOST FULL GOSPEL ASSEMBLY (African-American) pre 1915
2501 Goode Ave. [1915]

HOLY GHOST (Independent) EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH [Evangelical] 1834
Organized Jan. 1834, the first German Protestant church in St. Louis, in the old Second Presbyterian Church (4th between Washington & St. Charles) First minister Rev. Christian Rudolph Korndoerfer. A year later they moved to the old Methodist Church at 4th and Washington, followed by 7th & Clark in 1840 and 8th & Walnut in 1859. They moved to 1220 N. Grand (at Page) in 1895 and before moving to 4916 Mardel they also worshipped in the old B’Nai El Temple at Spring & Flad Aves. 4916 Mardell by 1929, Rev. Theodore C. Brown, pastor. Aka CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST; HOLY GHOST UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST &/or GERMAN EVANGELICAL PROTESTANT CONGRESS OF THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST. [2003]

HOLY GHOST TABERNACLE pre 1952
4373-75 Finney Ave. in 1952. 1821 N. Vandeventer Ave. by 1965 [1970]

HOLY GHOST UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
See HOLY GHOST (Independent) EVANGELICAL CHURCH
See also CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST

HOLY GUARDIAN ANGEL’S [Catholic] 1867
See HOLY ANGELS CHURCH

HOLY HOUSE OF PRAYER pre 1965
4207 W. Easton [1965]

HOLY INNOCENTS CHURCH [Catholic] (English) 1893
In the southwestern part of the city, their first church a little frame building was dedicated Aug. 13, 1893. Located at 4900 Reber Place by 1930. Founder and first pastor Rev. John White. (aka CHURCH OF THE HOLY INNOCENTS). 2825 S. Kingshighway by 1960. Current church is located at 4923 Odell Street. [1989]

HOLY INNOCENTS CHURCH [Episcopal] 1871-1939
Holy Innocents Church occupied a frame church building at 4305 Tholozan (NW corner Morganford) on Apr. 6, 1871. This building had been erected in 1856 and served as a union church for Methodist, Presbyterians and other denominations for 15 years. Holy Innocents merged with ST. ANDREWS in 1939 to become ST. MARK EPISCOPAL CHURCH at 4712 Clifton. [1939]

HOLY METROPOLITAN MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
4000 Washington Blvd. Currently at 1212 Academy. [2003]

HOLY MISSION SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1946
2623 Pine Blvd [1952]

HOLY NAME (of Jesus) CHURCH [Catholic] (Irish) 1875-1988?
Most Holy Name Church is located at 2047 East Grand Boulevard, at Florissant Ave.. in the Bissell Hills area of North St. Louis. The nucleus of this parish originated with St. Thomas Chapel of St. Louis University, to become the mother-church of the northwestern part of St. Louis. The parish neighborhood was formerly part of an extensive farm belonging to the St. Louis University (originally located at Ninth Street and Washington Ave.) and called the "College Farm." In 1865 the "College Farm" was laid out in a large sub-division to the city. Rev. Patrick J. Gleason was the first priest. First site at Grand and 21st in 1875. This was replace by a larger chapel built by Father Christopher Pyrne in 1916. Present church was erected and dedicated Nov. 12, 1916. 2011 E. Linton Now home to New Jerusalem Cathedral. (aka CHURCH OF THE HOLY NAME; MOST HOLY NAME OF JESUS) [1986]

HOLY ONE OF ISRAEL CHURCH pre 1935
2301 Wash [1935]

HOLY OVER COMING CHURCH OF THE BODY OF JESUS CHRIST pre 1946
2741 Thomas [1946]

HOLY ROLLER CHURCH [Holly Roller] pre 1930
3879 Windsor Pl. [1930]

HOLY ROSARY CHURCH [Catholic] 1891
Founded in July 1891 by Rev. Daniel J. Lavery, in the northwest part of the city, (4325) Margaretta (at Newstead).
Original church replaced by large tudor gothic edifice in 1923. 3535 N. 14th by 1930. First pastor Msgr. Daniel J. Lavery served more than 50 years. The present church, at the SW corner of 3921 Clarence Ave. in 19235. (aka MOST HOLY ROSARY) [1989]

HOLY SACRAMENT LUTHERAN CHURCH [Lutheran] pre 1952
4000 West Belle Pl. [2002]

HOLY SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1935
2100 Carr [1946] 1412 N. Garrison Ave. [1935] 2623 Pine Blvd. [1955]
1107 N. Compton Ave. [1946] 3005 Lambdin Ave. (No.9) [1965-1970] 1453 Webster [1940-1970]

HOLY SPIRITUAL TEMPLE [Spiritualist] pre 1940
2351 Chestnut [1946]

HOLY SUNRISE CHURCH pre 1955
2741 Howard [1955]

HOLY SUNRISE SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1965
1487 Union Blvd [1970]

HOLY TEMPLE ASSEMBLY MISSION BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
1343 N. Leffingwell Ave. [1960]

HOLY TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [Pentecostal/C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1965
2806 Cass Ave. Currently located at 6333 Natural Bridge. [2003]

HOLY TRINITY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
3300 Easton Ave. [1960]

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH [Catholic] (German) 1848
See MOST HOLY TRINITY

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH [Catholic] (Slovak) 1899 – 1984
Msgr. Joseph Hessoun, of St. John Nepomuk parish was instrumental in founding a separate parish for Slovaks. An old Baptist church was bought near 12th and Park Ave. for this purpose, in a building formerly housing St. Paul’s Evangelical Church. Demolished during the widening of 12th St. Rev. Francis Horvath was pastor from 1899-1902. In 1924 it became the Most Holy Trinity Slovak Catholic Church. Later located at 1812 South 9th Street. Closed in 1984 the church was desanctified in 1989.Records are housed at St. John Nepomuk Church in the Soulard area. Now home to Ninth St. Abbey, a restaurant. [1960]

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH [Greek Orthodox] 1904
Organized by a group of prominent St. Louis Greek-Americans as their church community. Rev. Panageatis Phiambolis, first priest. Their first site was a former Protestant church they rented at 1901 Morgan (Delmar)(at 19th). A faction formed the CHURCH OF EVANGELISMOS in 1910. By 1917 the split Greek community came together in a new church, ST. NICHOLAS. (aka AGHIA TRIAS) 3535 N. 14th by 1935? [1960]

HOLY TRINITY LUTHERAN
See TRINITY LUTHERAN

HHOLY TRINITY SERBIAN EASTERN ORTHODOX [Orthodox, Eastern] 1928
722 Barry in 1930?. 1910 Mc Nair Ave. (Serbian Dr.) by 1935 [2003]

HOME CHAPEL MISSIONARY BAPTIST [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
807 N. Garrison [1965]

HOME CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST pre 1960
2725 Lafayette Ave. [1960]

HOME HEIGHTS PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1913
3300 Marshall (at Caroline), Rev. Leigh O. Wright, pastor, 1929 [2003]

HOME M CHURCH pre 1965
4012 Finney Ave. [1965]

HOME MISSION BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1935
1110 N. 13th [1935]

HOOVERVILLE EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran] pre 1935
1712 S. Wharf [1935]

HOPE ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1955
4748 S. Broadway. 4555 Virginia Ave. by 1965 [1965]

HOPE CHAPEL pre 1920
1604 Glasgow Ave. [1920]

HOPE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Congregational] 1884
Belt (near Easton) Rev. James P. O’Brien, pastor in 1895. 1646 Semple Ave. (1635 in 1940) (at Cote Brilliante) Designed by G. Howard and built in 1913. Now home to St. James Missionary Baptist Church. [1952]

HOPE EVANGELICAL (and Reformed) CHURCH [Evangelical] 1945
6273 Eichelberger St. (at Tamm, in St. Louis Hills) by 1952. Organized in 1944 and the current site was purchased in May 1945. New building erected in 1948. Recame UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST in 1957. [2003]

HOPE (Evangelical) LUTHERAN CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran] 1916
In Oct. 1916 the Mission Board of the Western District of the Missouri Synod opened in the Southampton subdivision. A lot was purchased at Macklind Ave & Itaska St., which was later traded for the present site. The congregations first home was a portable chapel dedicated Oct. 3, 1916. In Jan. 1917 their first pastor, Rev. Martin Engel, took charge. A basement chapel was next to be erected on Apr. 27, 1922 at 5218 Neosho St. (at Brannon) the current church dedicated on Jan. 13, 1931. [2003]

HOPE MISSION No.2 pre 1910
5649 N. Market [1910]

HOPE MISSION CHAPEL [Presbyterian] pre 1880
3rd & Taylor, Carondelet. Rev. James M. Shields, pastor. Moved to 7229 Minnesota Ave. by 1890. (see also CARONDELET PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, [1890]

HOPE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1946
4108 Mc Pherson Ave. [1946]

HOPE UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
See HOPE EVANGELICAL (And Reformed) CHURCH

HOPEWELL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1930
1107 Biddle in 1930. 1309a Biddle by 1935. 1013 N. 19th by 1940. 1527 Wagoner Pl. by 1946. 917 N. Taylor Ave. [2003]

HOUSE OF GOD pre 1960
1243 N. Garrison Ave. [1965]

HOUSE OF GOD BODY OF CHRIST pre 1955
2210 Franklin Ave. [1955]

HOUSE OF HOPE CHAPEL
See HOUSE OF HOPE FREE METHODIST

HOUSE OF HOPE (Free) METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal African-American] pre 1925
2809 Howard, Rev. J. Tammons, pastor, 1929. (aka HOUSE OF HOPE CHAPEL) [1930]

HOUSE OF PRAYER pre 1900
4443 Garfield Ave., Rev. Walter Shulz, pastor in 1910. 4227 Race Course Ave. by 1940. 3655 Cozens Ave. by 1946. 4000 N. 25th by 1965 [1965]

HOUSE PRAYER CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1965
2627 N. Taylor Av. [1965]

HOUSE OF PRAYER MISSION 1923
Organized Nov. 2, 1923, 1226 Tower Grove (at Swan) Rev. J. E. Wilson in 1925. Rev. D. E. Skaggs, pastor in 1929. [1930]

HOUSE OF PRAYER SPIRITUAL [Spiritualist] pre 1955
1416 N. Grand Blvd. [1955]

HOUSE OF THE MESSIAH pre 1940
1054 Hamilton Ave. [1940]

HUMBLE SERVICE PRAYER HOUSE pre 1960
1308 Glasgow Ave. [1965]

HURD MISSION [Spiritualist] pre 1921
1117 North Twenty-fourth St., pastor Mrs. Hurd [1921]

HYDE PARK CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Congregational] 1881-1940?
Hyde Park Congregational Church was organized in 1881, this church at 1501 Bremen (at Blair) with the building completed in 1894. Rev. A. K. Wray, pastor. [1940]


Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS