||History and Genealogy Department
- The History and Genealogy Department, located on the second floor of Central Library, is responsible for service in
subjects which include history, genealogy, heraldry, travel, biography, and geography. It
contains over 25,000 volumes and 270 periodicals.
- Nationally recognized as one of the major genealogical collections in the country, the
genealogy and heraldry sections contain materials covering Missouri, Illinois, and those
states east and south of Missouri whose population had the most influence on
Missouris population. Most of the genealogy collection is for reference use only and
cannot be checked out.
- Also in the History and Genealogy Department is a collection of maps of countries,
regions, and cities around the world which may be circulated. In addition, there are
reference sets of large-scale Missouri and Illinois topographic maps, St. Louis and
Missouri historical maps, and medium-scale European maps for the genealogists, as well as
numerous atlases. Another 100,000 maps are located in the Map Room in the basement, and
have to be retrieved by staff in this department or Government Information. Identifying
the maps is easy using MapFind, an electronic database of the Librarys cartographic
holdings, which will be searched by the staff for the customer.
- St. Louis Area Studies Center
- The Center, located in the North end of the History & Genealogy Department,
centralizes historical material on the city of St. Louis and its metropolitan area. Among
the most used materials are a complete set of St. Louis city directories, 1821 through
1980 when discontinued, and a set of the Sanborn fire insurance maps, both on microfilm.
Maps and atlases for the area, a clipping file and a card index on St. Louis history are
also located in the Center.
- Guidelines for those seeking genealogy related information from
St. Louis Public Library
Find answers to getting genealogy information.
- Census Information Available
Find out what we have on microfilm and soundex.
- Scope of Census Data, 1790 - 1930*
Learn what type of information was taken for the 1790 - 1930 census.
- Using Census Records
Begin your search using the soundex.
- Abbreviations Used in the Soundex System
Look up abbreviations for relationships to head of household and citizenship status.
- Genealogy Indexes on CD-ROM
Search for family history in marriage, military, and land records and more!
- Preserve Your Family History
With Your St. Louis Public Library
Create your own family pedigree chart.
- Useful Addresses for Family Research
Contacts for cemetery, immigration and naturalization, military records, genealogical and
historical societies and much more.
- Map of the History & Genealogy Department
Locate computer catalogs, microfilm readers, state histories and more.
- Selected List of Genealogy Information Available on Microform
Census information for population schedules, military records, passenger lists and other
- Map of the Microfilm Room
Locate census records, documents and microfilm readers.
HOME | KIDZONE
| CATALOG |CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS