recently added to the St. Louis Public Library's collection:
1. Arnold, Helen E. Staten & Nick Denley. Tallahatchie County,
Mississippi Cemetery Records. Carrollton, MS: Pioneer Publishing, 1998. 929.3762
Includes a large number of cemeteries with name, date of birth &
death & sometimes other tombstone information.
2. Ashton, Sharron Standifer. Indians and Intruders. Norman, OK:
Ashton Books, 1996. 970.3
Includes a variety of Native-American items such as marriages in Creek
records, licensed Chickasaw Traders & lists white settlers in Indian Territory.
Focuses primarily on what became the state of Oklahoma.
3. Branton, Katherine & Alice Wade. Early Mississippi Records
Issaquena County & Washington County 1839 1896. Carrollton, MS: Pioneer
Publishing, 2001. 929.3762
Abstracts include marriages, wills, chancery courts, cemeteries, medical
licenses & probate records.
4. Dodd, Jordan R., ed. Missouri Marriages 1826 1850.
North Salt Lake, UT: HeritageQuest, 2001. 929.3778.
Both parties are listed along with the date of marriage or license &
5. Eakin, Joanne Chiles. Civil War Military Prisoners Sent to
Missouri State Penitentiary. Independence, MO: Joanne Chiles Eakin, 1995. 973.77
Entries include name, age, birthplace, height, hair, eyes &
complexion, foot size & unusual marks/scars. Includes date sentence was received &
length of prison term.
6. Herbert, Jeffrey G. Hamilton County, Ohio Church Burial Records
1850 1859. 3 Vols. Milford, OH: Little Miami Publishing Co., 2000. 929.3771
Entries include name, burial & death date, age, maiden name &
names of parents in the case of children.
7. Indiana Marriages 1826-1850. 2 Vols. North Salt Lake, UT:
HeritageQuest, 2002. 929.3772
Covers many Indiana counties. Includes name of each party, date of
marriage or license & county of marriage.
8. Lennon, Rachel Mills. Tracing Ancestors Among the Five Civilized
Tribes: Southeastern Indians Prior To Removal. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing
Co., 2002. 929.1
Focuses on early Native-American ancestors among the Five Civilized
Tribes: Chickasaw, Cherokee, Choctaw, Creek & Seminoles. The author, an expert in
Native-American genealogy, guides the reader to little-known resources.
9. Simmons, K. H. Spanish American War Veterans from Nebraska.
Westminster, MD: Willow Bend Books, 2000. 973.89782
Includes name, age, birthplace, regiment & company, occupation, town
of residence & nearest relative.
10. Watson, Marston. Royal Families: Americans of Royal and Noble
Ancestry. Vol. 1: Governor Thomas Dudley and Descendants Through Five Generations.
Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., 2002. 929.72
SOME VENERATED ANCESTORS
1. Berry, Ellen Thomas & David A. Berry. Early Ohio Settlers:
Purchasers of Land in East and East Central Ohio, 1800-1840. Baltimore, MD:
Genealogical Publishing Co., 1989. 929.3771
Includes purchaser, date, residence, township & range.
2. Brubaker, Joan B. Preble County, Ohio Infirmary Records 1834-1900:
A History & Register of Inmates. N.P.: Joan B. Brubaker, 1989. 929.3771.
Includes name, date, age, birthplace, residence or lack thereof, reason
for stay, date of discharge or death.
3. Cist, Charles. Sketches and Statistics of Cincinnati in 1851.
Cincinnati,OH: Wm. H. Moore & Co., 1851. 917.71
Contains biographies of notable citizens. (The Library also owns an 1841
4. Green, Karen M. Pioneer Ohio Newspapers 1793 1810:
Genealogical & Historical Abstracts. Galveston, TX: Frontier Press, 1986.
5. McBride, David N. & Jane N. McBride. Wills, Administrations,
Guardianships and Adoptions of Highland County, Ohio (1805 1880). Ann Arbor,
MI: Edwards Letter Shop, 1957. 929.3771
Abstractions of a wide variety of records. Entries are by newspaper
& issue, abstracting obituaries, probate/estate notices, victims of Indian attacks
& news from each community.
6. Powell, Esther W. Early Ohio Tax Records.
Akron, OH: Esther W. Powell, 1971. 929.3771
Covers many, primarily early 19th century, Ohio counties.
7. Representative Clevelanders: A Biographical Directory of Leading
Men and Women in Present-Day Cleveland Community. Cleveland, OH: The Cleveland Topics
Co., 1927. 920.07
A whos who directory for 1920s Cleveland. Includes birthplace,
birth date, parents, education, spouse, children, occupation & address at time of
8. Social Register Association. Social Register Cleveland 1938.
NY: Social Register Association, 1937. 917.71
Can include addresses, occupations, club memberships, recent marriages
& maiden names. Also contains the 1938 entries for Cincinnati and Dayton.
The Library also has an extensive collection of Ohio county histories.