1. Archivschule Marburg. Hessische
Auswanderer (Hesaus) Index Nach Familiennamen. 2 Vols. Marburg, Germany: Trautvetter
& Fischer, 1987 -. 973.342
Index to emigration from Hesse-Muenzenburg in the 18th century. It includes name, age,
hometown, assets, occupation & destination. Covers a fairly small group of immigrants.
2. Archivschule Marburg. Hessische Truppen im Amerikanischen
Unaabhangigkeitskrieg (Hetrina). 6 Vols. Marburg, Germany: Fotodruck E. Symon, 1972
Lists the Hessian soldiers who fought in the American Revolution & includes name, year
of birth, place of origin, rank, unit & original source of the information.
3. Burgert, Annette K. Palatine Origins of Some Pennsylvania
Pioneers. Myerstown, PA: AKB Publications, 2000. 929.3748
Shows Palatine connections of immigrants to Pennsylvania, including sources of information
in both European & American records.
4. Burnett, Robyn & Ken Luebbering. German Settlement in
Missouri: New Land, Old Ways. Columbia, MO: U of Missouri P, 1996. 977.800431
A brief history of German settlement in Missouri.
5. Glazier, Ira P. & P. William Filby. Germans to America: Lists
of Passengers Arriving at U.S. Ports. 67 Vols. Wilmington, DE: Scholarly Resources,
1988 -. 929.308931
A primary resource for finding Ger-man ancestors. Also, dont forget the new Germans
to America Series II that covers earlier immigration.
6. Kaufmann, Wilhelm, ed. The Germans in the American Civil War,
with a Biographical Directory. (1911) Trans. by Steven Rowan & Don H. Tolzmann.
Carlisle, PA: John Kallmann, 1999. 973.74
A classic work on the important role played by German-Americans in the American Civil War.
7. Wright, III, Raymond S., ed. Meyers Orts-und Verkehrs-Lexikon des
Deutschen Reichs. 2 Vols. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing, Co., 2000. 914.3003
A vital resource for finding German towns & villages.
8. Pennsylvania German Society. Pennsylvania German Church Records
of Births, Baptisms, Marriages, Burials, etc. 3 Vols. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical
Publishing Co., 1983. 929.3748
Extensive copies from church records.
9. Richards, Henry M. M. The Pennsylvania German in the
Revolutionary War 1775 1783. (1908). Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing
Co., 1978. 973.344
A history of the Pennsylvania Germans in the Revolutionary War, including rosters, diaries
& letters & some lists of prisoners.
10. Schenk, Trudy. The Wuerttemburg Emigration Index. 7 Vols.
Salt Lake City, UT: Ancestry Inc., 1986 -. 929.343
Shows name, birth date and birthplace where the person emigrated from, date of application
to emigrate, destination & the LDS microfilm number for the microfilmed German
11. Schneider, Carl E. The German Church on the American Frontier: A
Study in the Rise of Religion Among the Germans of the West. St. Louis, MO: Eden
Theological Seminary, 1939. 284.1
An extensive history of the German Evangelical Church, including biographical &
historical materials on church founders & historical material on the many German
Evangelical Churches founded in Missouri, Illinois, Indiana & Iowa.
12. Smith, Clifford Neal. German Revolutionists of 1848: Among Whom
Many Immigrants to America. 4 Vols. McNeal, AZ: Westland Publications, 1985 -.
Includes name of individual, occupation if known, place of residence & in some cases
date of emigration to America. Based on German Police Records.
13. Strassburger, Ralph Beaver. Pennsylvania German Pioneers: A
Publication of the Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia From 1727 to
1808. Norristown, PA: Pennsylvania German Society, 1934. 929.3748
Includes captains lists, signers of Oaths of Allegiance, signers of Oaths of
Abjuration & indication of those who made a mark rather than signing & other
14. Zimmerman, Gary J. German Immigrants: Lists of Passengers Bound
from Bremen to New York
With Places of Origin. 4 Vols. Baltimore, MD:
Genealogical Publishing Co., 1985 - . 929.343
Indicates the name, age, last residence & year of immigration & ship for many
Germans who left Bremen for the U.S. Includes only those immigrants whose U.S. passenger
list showed a place of origin.