ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
G - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

GAINE STREET (E W). This street in the Devolsey Addition of 1848 was named High Street until 1881. Its current name probably honors one of the subdivision developers or a member of a developer's family. "Gaine" is a descendent of the English "Gegn", meaning "straight". (Benton Park)

GAMBLE STREET (E-W). Honored Archibald Gamble, St. Louis alder-man and politician, in the Stoddard Addition of 1851. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

GAMBLETON AVENUE (E-W). When it appeared in the Gambleton Subdivision, 1885, it honors Missouri's Civil War governor, Hamilton R. Gamble. It was Central Avenue west of Hodiamont until 1894. (Cabanne)

GANNETT STREET (E-W). This street in the 1909 Ellenwood Park First Addition was named for George A. Gannett, traffic manager of the Laclede-Christy Fire Clay Products Company. (Oak Hill)

GANO AVENUE (E-W). In the second subdivision of Doctor John Gano Bryan's estate, it bears the middle name of the landowner. It was Wilkinson Avenue from the wharf to Broadway and Louisa Street between Kossuth and Lee until 1881. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

GARDEN STREET (E-W). Named for the numerous home gardens in the vicinity in the 1850 Farrar Addition. (Hyde Park & Bissell - College Hill)

GARDENVILLE AVENUE (N-S). The Gardenville community was an early rural settlement in the vicinity of Gravois and Kingshighway. The street was first named in the 1905 Hermann Heights Subdivision. (Oak Hill)

GARESCHE AVENUE (E-W). The Garesches are an old St. Louis French family that endured through the years. A family member was a partner in the firm of Garesche and Farrar who developed the Jennings Heights subdivision of 1888. The street was known as Garesche Boulevard until 1922. (Walnut Park)

GARFIELD AVENUE (E-W). Originally named as Boston Avenue in Thornton D. Murphy's Addition of 1857, this street received its present name in 1882 in honor of President James A. Garfield who was assassinated the previous year. (Grand Prairie)

GARNER AVENUE (E-W). Platted in the Samuel's Subdivision of 1885 and named for James T. Garner, a St. Louis deputy sheriff. (Oakland)

GARNIER STREET (N-S). This street was named to honor the Garniers, an old French family of St. Louis. The name first appeared in the 1888 subdivision of Oak Hill Heights. (Oak Hill)

GARRISON AVENUE (N-S). Named for Oliver and D.K. Garrison, the developers of the Garrison Addition in the 1851 Stoddard Addition. In the Fairground neighborhood, it was Fillmore Avenue from Easton to North Market to 1863, and was Thompson Avenue from Natural Bridge to Bailey until 1911. (Fairground)

GARRISON COURT (E-W). In the 1851 Stoddard Addition, these streets are named for Oliver and D. K. Garrison, St. Louis businessmen and real estate developers. (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

GARRISON LANE (N-S). See explanation for
GARRISON COURT (E-W). (Midtown) (Jeff-Vanderlou)

GARTH AVENUE (E-W). Derives its name from an old English description of a dweller in an enclosed yard or farm. Originated in the 1895 Dwyer resubdivision of City Block 3830. (Baden-Riverview)

GASCONADE STREET (E-W). Named for the Gasconade River, a tributary of the Missouri River in east-central Missouri, in the subdivision of the St. Louis Commons in the early 1850s. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill)

GAS LIGHT SQUARE (E-W). Applied to a section of Olive Street from Whittier Street to Pendleton Avenue in 1961 to designate a popular entertainment area that flourished in the late 1950s and early 1960s (but no longer exists). (Central West End)

GAST PLACE (N-S). When it appeared in the 1913 subdivision of Gast Place, it is named for Paulus Gast, owner of the nearby Gast Brewery. (Baden-Riverview)

GATELAND AVENUE (N-S). Located in the 1927 Hills at the Gateway subdivision, it derives its name from the Baden Chamber of Commerce slogan "The Gateway from the North." (Baden-Riverview)

GAY STREET (E-W). Named for John H. Gay who, with Thomas Taylor, dedicated a subdivision in 1838. Gay was a prominent figure in ante-bellum financial circles and one of the St. Louis civic leaders who used his personal fortune to protect depositors of the James H. Lucas and Company banking house during the financial panic of 1857. (Downtown)

GENEVIEVE AVENUE (N-S). Bears the first name of Genevieve (Mrs. George W.) Strodtman, wife of the developer, of the Strodtman Heights First addition of 1905. (Walnut Park)

GERALDINE AVENUE (N-S). Probably named for a daughter of the Harney family in the 1891 Harney Heights subdivision. It was known as
Calvary Avenue from Natural Bridge to Bircher until 1917. "Geraldine", the feminine form of "Gerald," became popular in the United States in the 1840s. "Gerald" in turn is from the Old German "spear" plus "ruler". (Arlington) (Walnut Park)

GERMANIA STREET (E W). Originally platted in the 1904 Helena Subdivision at 7300 Gravois, extending one block to Helvetia Street. Its location now is as an eastward extension along the north side of the River Des Peres Drainage Works from Gravois Avenue to Alabama Street. The name is a classical personality reference to the German nation. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

GERRITT AVENUE (N-S). This street originally appeared on St. Louis maps as Nineteenth Street in the subdivision of Lot G in Fields Subdivision of 1877. It retained that name until 1911, when it was given the name of Gerritt, probably for an adjacent property owner. "Gerrit" is a Dutch form of "Gerhard," meaning "spear" or "hard". Other spellings, also derived from "Gerhard", come from Norwegian and Danish. (Oak Hill)

GERTRUDE AVENUE (E-W). Seen first in the Morgan Place Subdivision of 1905, the feminine name is Old German meaning "spear strength." Its first fame came from a 7th-century saint, and St. Gertrude the Great was a 13th-century mystic. Another famous Gertrude was created by Shakespeare in Hamlet's mother. (Oak Hill)

GEYER AVENUE (E W). Commemorates Henry Sheffie Geyer, a prominent St. Louis attorney, who defeated Thomas Hart Benton for the United States Senate in 1851. Arriving in St. Louis in 1815, he became a strong pro slavery Whig. He gained a national reputation when he argued against the cause of Dred Scott before the Supreme Court in 1854. (Benton Park) (Compton Hill) (Soulard)

GIBBONS STREET (N S). Honors James Gibbons (1834-1921), bishop and cardinal of Baltimore, who visited St. Louis during the jubilee of Archbishop Peter Kenrick in December 1891. (Marquette-Cherokee)

GIBSON AVENUE (E-W). In the Gibson Heights Subdivision of 1892, it was named in honor of the landowner and developer. "Gibson" is English for "a descendent of Gib, a pet form of Gilbert (pledge, bright)". (Central West End)

GIESEKING LANE (N-S). Originated in Greulich's Inglesyde subdivision Number Two of 1938, it is named for an early family of grape growers in the area. (Baden-Riverview)

GILES AVENUE (N-S). Appeared in the 1856 Robert W. Hunt Subdivision to honor the family of John and Edward Giles, who operated a coal mine in the vicinity. A section of it was called Sanguinette Avenue until 1882. (Oak Hill)

GILMORE AVENUE (N-S). Homage to Patrick Sarsfield Gilmore, the famous American bandmaster and organizer of the popular Gilmore Band. He was born near Dublin, Ireland in 1829 and died in St. Louis on September 24, 1892. That same year the street appeared in the Walnut Park Subdivision. (Baden-Riverview) (Walnut Park)

GILSON AVENUE (E-W). Located in the 1908 Chester Heights Subdivision, it was named for Thomas Gilson, the operator of an area coal mine in the mid-19th century. (Oak Hill)

GIMBLIN STREET (E-W). Showed up as a street in 1848 but did not receive its name until the 1854 subdivision of the Gimblin estate. It is named after Henry Gimblin, an early settler. (Baden-Riverview)

GLADES AVENUE (E-W). Appeared in the 1852 Glades Subdivision located in the Gratiot League Square. A "glade" is "an open space in a forest," a situation not uncommon in this section of south St. Louis in the decade before the Civil War. (Oakland)

GLADYS AVENUE (E-W). Extends from Riverview to the City Limits paralleling the tracks of the Norfolk & Southern Railroad. Gladys is variant spelling of the Welsh word "Gwladus", a word of uncertain origin. (Mark Twain I-70)

GLASGOW AVENUE (N-S). In the Stoddard Addition of 1851, it is named in honor of William Glasgow, Jr., an owner of extensive land holdings and member of a prominent St. Louis family. This street was known as Bentzen Street between Bailey and North Florissant until 1879. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell- College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

GLASGOW DRIVE (E-W). Veneration for William Glasgow, Jr., an early landowner, in the 1928 Glasgow Woods subdivision. (Baden-Riverview)

GLENMORE AVENUE (E-W). Likely a made-up promotional name emphasizing the geographic feature of a "glen," a "small, narrow, secluded valley" when it appeared in the Glenmore subdivision of 1910. Dozens of spelling variations using the term "glen" appear as Scottish, United States (Glenmora, Louisiana), and Australian (Glenore and Glenmorgan) place names. (Arlington)

GOENER AVENUE (N-S). First appeared in the Dixie Place subdivision of 1905, and named for the family of George Goener, president of the Holstein Commission Company,. (Morganford)

GOETHE AVENUE (E-W). Christened in honor of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832), German poet, dramatist and novelist, in the Goethe Heights Subdivision of 1909. (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

GOODE AVENUE (N-S). A land lawyer and a leader of the Southern Whigs in Missouri, George W. Goode (1815-1863) served as the attorney for the owners of the slave Dred Scott during the first stages of the suit for his freedom. Goode was married to the daughter of landowner Robert Wash. The street was named in his son-in-law's honor when the subdivision was platted from his estate in 1860. (Grand Prairie)

GOODFELLOW BOULEVARD (N-S). Honors John Goodfellow, a farmer and landowner. The name was originally applied to a road through his property near Natural Bridge Road. (Arlington) (Baden-Riverview) (Cabanne) (Walnut Park)

GOVERNMENT DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park, it passes Government Hill, location of the United States Government Building at the World's Fair. (Kingsbury)

GOYA PLACE (N-S). Named for the Spanish artist Francisco Goya (1746-1828). (Carondelet)

GRACE AVENUE (N-S). Made its appearance on St. Louis maps in the Robert W. Hunt Subdivision of 1856 and named for Thomas Grace, a coal miner and property owner. (Oak Hill)

GRAHAM STREET (N-S). Began as Center Street in the Gratiot Subdivision of 1875 and renamed in 1882 to honor David W. Graham, owner of the Sulphur Springs Tract. (Oakland)

GRANBERRY WAY LANE (E-W). John Cowper Granberry was chosen Methodist Episcopal bishop for St. Louis in 1882 (he was born in Virginia December 5, 1829). (Mark Twain)

GRAND BOULEVARD (N-S and E-W). Proposed in 1850 by real estate developer Hiram W. Leffingwell as a 450-foot wide boulevard from Bremen to Carondelet, its width was established at 80 feet by the St. Louis County Court in the 1860s. Known as Grand-Kingshighway from Bates Street to Carondelet Park in the Morganford neighborhood until 1930. (Carondelet) (Compton Hill) (Fairground) (Grand Prairie) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Midtown) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Morganford) (Oak Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman) (Shaw)

GRAND DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park. In the first map of the park, there is shown a grand drive encircling the park. Hence the origin of this name. (Kingsbury)

GRAND-FOREST PLACE (E-W). Platted as an access street to the Grand-Forest Apartments near Grand and Laclede in the early 1960s. (Midtown)

GRANDEL SQUARE (E-W). A section of Delmar Boulevard between Grand and Spring that was isolated by the rerouting of Delmar in 1933. It is a coined name composed of parts of the names of Grand and Delmar. (Midtown)

GRANDVIEW PLACE (N-S). Acknowledges the pleasant vista to be seen from its elevated location. Appeared in the 1907 Oakland Terrace Subdivision. (Oakland)

GRANT COURT (N-S). A short street running northward from Finney Avenue, named for Civil War Union Army General and later President Ulysses S. Grant. (Grand Prairie)

GRANT PLACE (N-S). Laid out in the Grant Place Subdivision of 1923. The street was called Grant Court until 1925. It is also named in honor of General Ulysses S. Grant. (Oak Hill)

GRANT STREET (N-S). In Green and Berry's subdivision of 1891, it commemorates Ulysses S. Grant (1822-1885), a Union Army commander in the Civil War and eighteenth president of the United States. It was Anna Street from Warne to Harris until 1881. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

GRANVILLE PLACE (E-W). Honored John Carteret, first Earl of Granville (1690-1765), mediator of treaties ending the Northern War (1719-1720), when it was platted in the 1890 W. P. and L. Croswhite subdivision. (Cabanne)

GRAPE AVENUE (E-W). A historical name that acknowledges the grape vineyards which formerly flourished in the area. Appeared in the 1913 subdivision of Gast Place. (Baden-Riverview)

GRATIOT STREET (E-W). Named for Charles Gratiot, an early merchant and fur trader from Cahokia who acted as a liaison between American General George Rogers Clark and the French inhabitants of St. Louis. Gratiot's farm southwest of St. Louis was the largest Spanish land grant made in the area. About three miles on each side, it came to be known as the Gratiot League Square. Between the wharf and 4th Street, Gratiot was called South "J" until 1826. Between that date and 1881 it was known as Mulberry Street. (Central West End) (Downtown) (Midtown)

GRATTAN STREET (N S). Commemorates Henry Grattan (1746 1820), the Irish patriot and statesman who in 1792 helped Catholics in Ireland win the right to vote. (Soulard)

GRAVOIS AVENUE (N-S). Originated as a natural diagonal trail from St. Louis southwestward to the Gravois Creek in what is now Fenton as early as 1804. It was named Gravois Road until 1881. Gravois derives its name from the French word for gravel. It is the most heavily traveled street in all of south St. Louis. (Benton Park) (Compton Hill) (Morganford) (Oak Hill)

GREEN LEA PLACE (E-W). Named for the subdivision, meaning green meadows, in the Greenlea Place subdivision of 1889. (Fairground)

GREENWICH COURT (E-W). Named for Greenwich, England, a metropolitan borough of London. (Central West End)

GREENWICH LANE (N-S). See explanation for
GREENWICH COURT (E-W). (Central West End)

GREER AVENUE (E-W). In the Magnolia Terrace subdivision of 1890, it honors the head of the Robert C. Greer Real Estate Company, its developer. Between Newstead and Marcus it was known as Foxbar Street until 1890 and from Marcus to Euclid it was named Josephine Street until 1881. In the Fairground neighborhood, it was DeJong street from Elliott to Glasgow until 1910. (Arlington) (Fairground)

GREGG AVENUE (N-S). Platted in Laclede J. Howard's Subdivision of 1909 to honor Cecil D. Gregg, president of a local coffee company. (Oakland)

GREGG PLACE (N-S). Named for a landowner in the vicinity in the Clifton Heights Subdivision of 1885, William H. Gregg, President of the Southern White Lead Co. (Clifton)

GREGORY PLACE (N-S). See DICK GREGORY PLACE (N-S). (Grand Prairie)

GRESHAM AVENUE (E-W). Began as Kaiser Street in the 1913 Von Drehle's Subdivision; received its present name in 1918 in honor of one of the first soldiers killed in World War I. (Southwest)

GROVE STREET (N-S). Acknowledges a nearby grove of trees in George Bailey's First Addition of 1863. (Fairground)

GROVER STREET (N-S). Named to take advantage of the popularity of President Grover Cleveland; first appeared in the Chouteau Estate subdivision of 1885. (Arlington)

GUILFORD PLACE (N-S). Originated in the St. Louis Hills Estates Number One in 1944 and named for the town of Guilford, Connecticut, settled in 1639. "Guilford" as a family name originates in England as "Guildford," or "one who came from Guildford (river crossing where marigolds grew), in Surrey." (Southwest)

GURNEY AVENUE (N-S). Appearing in Shaw's Arsenal Street Addition of 1915, it honors the Gurney family, which included three generations of superintendents for Tower Grove Park. The first of these was James Gurney whom Henry Show brought to St. Louis from Regents Park in London in 1866 to act as his chief gardener. When Henry Shaw died in 1889, Gurney was named the first superintendent of Shaw's Garden. (Oak Hill) (Shaw)

GUSTAV AVENUE (E-W). Real Estate developer Gustav Oberbeck named this street for himself in the 1948 Riverview Heights Number Two subdivision. (Baden-Riverview)

GUSTINE AVENUE (N-S). First appeared under that name on St. Louis maps in the early 1880s, and was officially platted in the Russell Place Subdivision of 1890. It honors the family of Trumbull Gustine Russell, a partner in the Parker-Russell Mining Company. It was named Endora Avenue from Keokuk Street to Chippewa until 1893, and was Leona Street between Meramec and Keokuk until 1933. (Oak Hill)

GUSTINE TERRACE (N-S). See explanation for
GUSTINE AVENUE (N-S). (Oak Hill)

GUTHRIE STREET (E W) Laid out in an undedicated School Land Subdivision of the 1860s on land owned by H. and J. Kayser, the street is named for James Guthrie (1793 1869), United States Secretary of the Treasury in the 1850s and a U.S. Senator during the 1860s. (Marquette-Cherokee)

GYPSY STREET (N-S). Originated in the 1870 subdivision of the John O'Fallon estate, it is named for a nomadic people found on all continents who hold to their own customs and rely on trading for a living. (Baden-Riverview) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS