ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
G - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

GALEED MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
1806 N. Grand Blvd [1965]

GALILEE BAPTIST [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1905
4300 Delmar [1965-2003] See GALILEE (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH
2514 N. Leffingwell Ave., Rev. Winfield S. Slatter, pastor. [1940-55]
2716 N. Sarah St. [1970] 2808 Spruce [1940-1946]

GALILEE (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Berean Missionary Baptist] (African-American) 1898
Organized in 1898 their previous home was at 2808 Adams (Spruce St.?) Moved to 712 S. 6th by 1905, Rev. Eugene Goldsby, pastor. Their current home was originally home to Delmar Baptist Church. Galilee purchased the building in April, 1947 from the First Church of the Nazarene. 4300 Delmar Ave. (at Pendleton Ave.) [2003]

GANO AVENUE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1895
Gan Ave. (near Guy Ave.) Rev. H. Ross, pastor. [1895]

GARDEN OF GETHSEMANE (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1935
719 N. 16th St. in 1935. 2301 O’Fallon by 1940. 2747 Cole in 1946 & 2712 Stoddard by 1955. 4709 Natural Bridge Ave. by 1965. 4352 Lee Ave. by 1970. [1970]

GARFIELD CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] (African-American) pre 1929
4249 W. Garfield, Rev. W. W. Naylor, pastor, 1929 [1960]

GARFIELD CONGREGATIONAL [Congregational] pre 1920
Garfield Ave. (sw cor. Springs Ave.) Rev. Niel Nissen [1925]

GARRETT CHAPEL CHURCH pre 1970
4335 Shreve Ave. [1970]

GARRISON AVENUE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1877-1892
Garrison Avenue Baptist Church was formed as an offshoot of the Third Avenue Baptist Church, Originally known as BEAUMONT BAPTIST they purchased a small church March 29,1877, on Garrison near Morgan (now Delmar), their first pastor was Rev. Dr. W. Pope Yeaman. In April 1879 that building was moved west to the corner of Morgan and Compton. The present church at 620 Spring Avenue (near Grandel Sq.) was completed in 1884. Eight years later the congregation reorganized (see DELMAR BAPTIST CHURCH), and moved to a larger building at Delmar and Pendleton. [1892]

GARRISON AVENUE CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1870
Originally the BEAUMONT STREET BAPTIST CHURCH they reorganized around 1870 as the GARRISON AVENUE CHURCH. Easton & Garrison Ave. Rev. Thomas Marshall, pastor. [1875]

GATEWAY ASSEMBLY CHURCH pre 1970
3205 S. 7th St. [1970]

GATEWAY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
3661 De Tonty [1965]

GATEWAY BIBLE FELLOWSHIP CHURCH pre 1970
1311 N. Market St. [1970]

GATEWAY TEMPLE pre 1965
1907 Lafayette Ave. [1970]

GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1935
1301 Park Ave. [1935]

GENERAL BAPTIST MISSION [Baptist] pre 1960
1001 Sidney [1960]

GERMAN BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1850
W side of 12th St. between Cass & O’Fallon [1850]

GERMAN BAPTIST MISSION [Baptist] pre 1910
5025 Morgan Ford Rd. [1910]

GERMAN CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN [Cumberland Presbyterian] pre 1866
1st location Pratte Ave & Wash St., later 2347 Sullivan Ave. [1866]

GERMAN EAST ST. LOUIS MISSION
See EDEN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH [Evangelical] pre 1875
Nw cor 4th & Kirk, Carondelet. Andrew Mueller, pastor, Moved to northwest corner of Michigan & Koeln by 1885. [1885]

GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH OF ST. LOUIS
See ST. PETER’S EVANGELICAL & REFORMED CHURCH

GERMAN EVANGELICAL CONGREGATION OF SOUTH ST. LOUIS (Deutsche Evangelische Gemeinde in Süd St. Louis)
See CARONDELET (German) EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH

GERMAN EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN MISSION FOR THE DEAF
See MISSION FOR THE DEAF

GERMAN EVANGELICAL PROTESTANT CONGREGATION OF THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST
See CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST

GERMAN EVANGELICAL TRINITY CHURCH OF ST. LOUIS
See TRINITY EVANGELICAL CHURCH

GERMAN LUTHERAN CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran, MO. Synod] (German) pre 1875
Hall’s Ferry Rd., Baden R. C. Brandt, pastor [1875]

GERMAN LUTHERAN MISSION [Lutheran] pre 1910
625 S. 2nd St. [1910]

GERMAN MEMORIAL CHURCH
See MEMORIAL METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH

GERMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL MISSION [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1910
Blair Ave. (ne cor Newhouse Ave.) [1910]

GERMAN MISSION AND SUNDAY SCHOOL pre 1910
Armstrong Ave. (Cor Hickory) [1910]

GERMAN NEW JERUSALEM CHURCH [Swedenborgian] 1870?
Howard St. at 14th, Rev. L. C. Carriere, pastor. [1870]

GERMAN REFORMED SALEM CHURCH pre 1890
Sullivan Ave (se cor. 11th) Rev. W. F. Horstmeier, pastor. [1890]

GERMAN SOCIETY OF DIVINE SCIENCE
See SOCIETY OF PRACTICAL CHRISTIANITY

GERMAN ZION METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1897
7425 Virginia Ave. Continued by ZOAR METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH. [1897]

GETHSEMANE (Augustana Evangelical) LUTHERAN CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran] 1894
Organized by Swedish immigrants. Louisa (corn Wachtel Ave.) Rev. J. W. Schoech by 1910. 3116 St. Vincent, Rev. J. A. Jackson, pastor 1929. 3600 Hampton Ave. (Previously SWEDISH GETHSEMANE?) [2003]

GETHSEMANE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
3328 Chippewa [1970]

GETHSEMANE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
1617 Goodfellow Blvd. [1965]

GETHSEMANE PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
2710 Clara Ave. [1970]

GIBSON HEIGHTS (United) PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1902
Formed by a group from GRAND AVENUE UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. 4510 Arco Ave., Rev. J. S. Dague, pastor, later 1075 S. Taylor Ave. (at Arco) by 1929 [2003]

GIDDINGS-BOYLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
See GIDDINGS PRESBYTERIAN

GIDDINGS PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1927
Organized Jan. 12, 1927, 4100 Washington Blvd. (at Sarah Ave.) in the former home of First Presbyterian Church. Rev. John Franklin Troupe, pastor, 1929. Church also known as GIDDINGS-BOYLE CHURCH. 525 N. Sarah after 1964. 4100 Washington Blvd by 1946. Aka BOYLE MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. [1970]

GIDEON BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1930
2300 Franklin [1930]

GILLFIELD BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1929
1249 Wash, Rev. G. L. Phillips, pastor, 1929 [1929]

GLAD TIDINGS PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1952
2626a St. Louis Ave. [1952]

GLAD TIDINGS TABERNACLE CHURCH pre 1940
1746 Mississippi Ave. [1940]

GLAD TIDINGS TEMPLE pre 1952
1501 Missouri Ave. [1970]

GLASGOW AVENUE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] [1873]
Founded by Rev. Thomas Marshall at a prayer meeting on a lot at Glasgow and Dickson. Organized on March 22, 1874, Marshall served as pastor until 1881. Chapel was completed in November 1880 at the site of the original prayer meeting. [1880]

GLEN ECHO BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1925
6439 St. Louis Ave., Rev. Fred E. Gimlin, pastor. 6574 St Louis Ave. in 1964. [1964]

GLORY BOUND MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1952
2839 Madison in 1952. 5624 Easton Ave. by 1970. [1970]

GLORY VINE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1952
1111 Biddle [1952]

GOD TEMPLE SPIRITUAL CHURCH pre 1960
928 Pendleton Av. In 1960. 1222 Pendleton Ave. by 1965. [1965]

GOD’S HOLY TEMPLE SPIRITUALIST CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1935
2830 Adams [1935]

GOD’S SANCTUARY SPIRITUAL TEMPLE [Spiritualist] pre 1946
905 N. Vandeventer [1970]

GOD’S TABERNACLE pre 1970
1929 Bremen Ave. [1970]

GOD’S TEMPLE OF PRAYER pre 1952
929 N. Vandeventer Ave. [1952]

GOLDEN GATE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1930
2245 Scott Ave. by 1930. 3626 Rutger [1940]

GOLDEN GATE CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE [Church of the Nazarene] pre 1935
2838 Salena [1970]

GOLDEN GATE METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] pre1955
2333 Chouteau Ave. [1955]

GOLDEN RULE CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1921
Ashland Hall – 4301 Natural Bridge Ave., Pastor, Mrs. Connor. [1921]

GOLDEN VINE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1955
3979 Delmar Blvd [1955]

GOOD HOPE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH, Inc [Missionary Baptist] pre 1935
2238 Clark by 1935. 2220 Clark Ave by 1940. 2145 Spruce by 1946. 318 S. 22nd by 1955. 3606 Cozens by 1960. 1914 Union Blvd. By 1965. 2115 E. Grand [1986]

GOOD SAMARITAN CHURCH pre 1970
3917 Kossuth Ave. [1970]

GOOD SAMARITAN LUTHERAN CHAPEL [Lutheran] 1952
1433 N. 10th St. [1952]

GOOD SAMARITAN METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal (African-American) pre 1920
4168 West Belle, Rev. William H. Wheeler, pastor in 1920 [1940]

GOOD SAMARITAN MISSION
See ALL SAINTS’ CHURCH [Episcopal]

GOOD SHEPHERD BAPTIST CHURCH {Baptist] pre 1960
See GOOD SHEPHERD MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH

GOOD SHEPHERD CHAPEL [Lutheran] pre1960
1323 Hebert [1970]

GOOD SHEPHERD EPISCOPAL MISSION CHURCH [Episcopal] 1899
See CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD

GOOD SHEPHERD LUTHERAN MISSION [Lutheran] pre 1940
1433 N. 10th St. in 1940. 2723 N. 10th by 1952 [1952]

GOOD SHEPHERD MISSION pre 1925
910 Biddle [1925]

GOOD SHEPHERD MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
3885 Bell Ave. [1960] 2834 Chouteau [1960]

GOODE AVENUE CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1880-1908
Located at the corner of Goode near Parsons, John W. Newcomb, pastor. Goode Ave. and N. Market, the pastor in 1899 was H. A. Jones. Continued by EPWORTH METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [1905]

GORDON MISSION pre 1905
5952 Arthur Ave. [1905]

GOSHEN MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
3359 Clara Ave. [1970]

GOSPEL ARMY CHAPEL pre 1935
1436 Cass Ave. [1935]

GOSPEL ASSEMBLY CHURCH pre 1960
500 N. Kingshighway Blvd. [1970]

GOSPEL ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1960
3103 California Ave. [1965]

GOSPEL CHAPEL pre 1952
1711 S. 7th St. [1952]

GOSPEL CHURCH [Non-Denominatinal] pre 1970
5701 Chippewa St. [2203]

GOSPEL FEAST PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1952
2806 Cass Ave. in 1960. 4001 Garfield by 1965. [1965-1970] 1038 Vandeventer Ave. [1965]
38__ St. Ferdinand Ave. [1965-1970]

GOSPEL FEAST PRAYER BAND No.1 pre 1952
2102 Franklin Ave. in 1952. 2625 Chouteau Ave. by 1960 [1965]

GOSPEL FEAST PRAYER CENTER pre1940
2905 Washington Blvd. [1940]

GOSPEL GLEANERS OF AMERICA, INC pre 1952
8504 S. Broadway [1952]

GOSPEL HALL (Church) pre 1915
4400 Aldine Ave. [1955-1960] 3003 Olive [1920]
2735 S. Broadway [1946-1960] 2617 Pestalozzi [1925]
1507 Hamilton [1955] 7138 Southwest Ave. [1925] See MAPLEWOOD
3815 Lincoln Ave. [1915] GOSPEL HALL
5021 Morgan Ford [1935-1940] See SOUTH SIDE GOSPEL HALL

GOSPEL HALL MISSION pre 1900
Obear Ave. (sw cor Florissant Ave.) [1900]

GOSPEL HARVEST CHURCH pre 1965
4749 Easton [1970]

GOSPEL LIGHT TABERNACLE pre 1940
2815 Hadley in 1940. 3811 Hadley by 1946 [1946]

GOSPEL MISSION [Non-Denominational?] pre 1885
Spruce (at 6th) 5897 Easton Ave. by 1910, 1028 Cass Ave by 1915. 2019 Franklin Ave. by 1920. 1714 Franklin Ave. by 1946 [1960]

GOSPEL MISSION pre 1915
2612 Arsenal [1915]

GOSPEL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1940
618 N. Cardinal Ave. in 1940. 4477 Finney Ave. by 1965 [1965]

GOSPEL OF PEACE TABERNACLE pre 1960
2800 S. Jefferson Ave. in 1960. 5117 Virginia Ave. by 1965 [1970]

GOSPEL PENTECOSTAL TABERNACLE [Pentecostal] pre 1960
2701-03 Caroline Ave. [1960]
1210 Wright [1960]

GOSPEL REVIVAL HOUR pre 1970
4249 Gibson Ave. [1970]

GOSPEL TABERNACLE pre 1920
4715 Ashland Ave in 1920. 4039 Cote Brilliante Ave., Rev. Henry E. Ziemer by 1925. [1925]
3866 Folsom [1970] 1102 Park Ave. [1946-1955]
1901 Hebert [1946] 3969 St. Louis Ave. [1946]

GOSPEL TEMPLE pre 1920
2226 Washington Ave., Rev. J. J. Johnson in 1920. 2621 Lawton Blvd by 1925. [1925]

GOSPEL TEMPLE BAPTIST CHURCH [Berean Missionary Baptist] (African-American) 1916
2025 Morgan, Rev. W. A. Ware, pastor, 1929

GOSPEL TEMPLE MISSION pre 1935
710 N. Leonard Ave. [1935]

GRACE ALLIANCE CHURCH pre 1970
3963 Chippewa St. [1970]

GRACE ASSEMBLY CHURCH pre 1970
8300 Alabama Ave. [1970]

GRACE ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1960
2051 Park Ave. [1965]

GRACE AVENUE ALLIANCE CHURCH pre 1955
3504 Grace Ave. [1955]

GRACE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1916
1457 Dodier by 1952. 2154 Bremen Ave. by 1955. 4243 Broadway in 1964. 2319 Cass in 1965. [2003]
2154 Bremen [1965-1970] 4243 N. Broadway [1965]
8326 Halls Ferry Rd. [1970] 4910 N. Broadway [1970]

GRACE BAPTIST MISSION [Baptist] pre 1960
4243 N. Broadway (aka GRACE BAPTIST CHURCH)[1960]

GRACE CHURCH
See GRACE ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH

GRACE CHURCH
See GRACE EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH

GRACE CHURCH [Episcopal] 1845-197?
Organized in 1845 and admitted to the Convention in 1846. Located on Marion Place at 11th and Warren. In 1910 they merged with HOLY CROSS MISSION to form GRACE-HOLY CROSS HOUSE and unorganized mission. In 1921 the church burned but was replace by a new church in 1923, Jamison and Spearl, architects. Reorganizaed as a mission in 1923 they closed sometime in the 1970s. [1970]

GRACE CHURCH (Harney Heights)
See ST. LUKE’S CHURCH

GRACE CHURCH [Lutheran] (English) 1891
Rev. Martin P. Sommer was pastor from 1891-1914. Located at Garrison Ave. (se cor St. Louis Ave.) in 1905. 1721 Wash, Rev. John Fey, in 1929. Grace Church was later located on the SW corner of Warne and Cozens Avenues, in the Grand-Prairie area. 3117 St. Louis Ave. in 1964. Aka GRACE (Evangelical) LUTHERAN. [1964]

GRACE CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1868
Founded as a colony of Second Presbyterian, they merged with PARK AVENUE CHURCH and CHOUTEAU AVENUE CHURCH to become LAFAYETTE PARK CHURCH. [1868]

GRACE CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE [Church of the Nazarene] pre 1946
3965 St. Louis Ave. [1946]

GRACE EMANUEL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1970
6021 Michigan Ave. [1970]

GRACE EVANGELICAL [Evangelical] (African-American) pre 1920
1701 Morgan [1920]

GRACE EVANGELICAL & REFORMED CHURCH [Evangelical] 1928
Organized Jan. 5, 1928. 5700 Leona St. (at 4020 Dover Pl.) Rev. Erw. Bueneman, pastor. Became United Church of Christ in 1957. [2003]

GRACE EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN (U.A.C.) [Evangelical Lutheran] (German) 1872
They were the first Lutheran church in St. Louis to conduct services in English in 1884. Moved to 11th & Warren in 1885. Damaged by the tornado in Feb. 1959. 6440 Easton Ave. in 1925.Now known as GRACE LUTHERAN CHAPEL. 3121 St. Louis Ave. (at Garrison) by 1942. Closed in 1972, after congregation had relocated to Hwy 67 at Chambers Rd, in the Bellefontaine neighborhood. (aka GRACE CHURCH) Site is now home to Eastern Star Baptist. [1972]

GRACE (Evangelical) LUTHERAN [Evangelical Lutheran] (African-American) pre 1920
1510 Morgan in 1925. 1721 Wash. [1935-1940]
See GRACE CHURCH

GRACE GOSPEL MISSION pre 1925
3967 Folsom Ave. [1925]

GRACE HILL EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Episcopal] 1923
2529 North Eleventh St. [1923]

GRACE HILL HOUSE
See GRACE (Holy) EPISCOPAL CHURCH

GRACE-HOLY CROSS
See GRACE (Holy) EPISCOPAL CHURCH

GRACE (Holy) EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Episcopal] 1844
Organized in May 1844 with Rev. E. H. Cressy as rector, this was the third Episcopal church in St. Louis. First church erected 1845 on Marion Place, Warren St., between 11th & 12th. Second Grace Episcopal Church was completed in 1851 at 2801 N. 11th and Warren, with Rev. W. L. Githens as pastor. An enlarged church was built in 1881. Financial crises caused this church to resign it's charter. Bishop Daniel Tuttle linked it with the Holy Cross Mission, and Grace Church assumed the status of a mission by 1915, with Rev. G. F. Taylor, pastor.. It's name was later changed to GRACE HILL HOUSE. The wooden church building was replaced by a stone edifice in 1924 at 2600 N. 12th. (Hadley?) [1970]

GRACE LUTHERAN CHAPEL
See GRACE EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN

GRACE LUTHERAN MISSION [Lutheran] pre 1905
1100 N. 12th [1905]

GRACE METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1888-1913
Grace Methodist Church at 6199 Waterman at the corner of Skinker, was organized in 1888 as the South Vandeventer branch of the Union Methodist Church. Union Methodist, then located on "Piety Hill" at Garrison and Lucas Avenues, felt the need for a colony that would be convenient for members who were moving further west. The church purchased a site at the SW corner of Lindell and Newstead Avenue where a chapel was built in 1892 (architect:Theodore Link) , by the newly named LINDELL AVENUE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH with about 100 members. Their first pastor was Dr. Robert J. Fleming. In 1897, the church structure was completed at the Lindell site. This building served the congregation until 1913 when the old church building was dismantled and re-erected at the new location, 6199 Waterman (at Skinker). Demolition began in March, 1913, and the rebuilt edifice was dedicated on October 11, 1914. As a result of the move the new name of GRACE M.E. CHURCH was chosen and was known thereby until the Episcopal title was dropped with the unification of the three branches of Methodism. (aka GRACE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH) [2003]

GRACE MISSION
See GRACE PRESBYTERIAN MISSION SUNDAY SCHOOL

GRACE MISSION [Baptist] pre 1895
Marcus and St. Louis Ave., A. Carr Jr., supt. [1895]

GRACE MISSION [Evangelical Lutheran] (German) pre 1910
1420 Morgan, Rev. J. H. Doswell, pastor
See also TRANSFIGURATION LUTHERAN [1910]

GRACE MISSION BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
930 N. 22nd St. in 1960. 1859 Mullanphy St. by 1970. [1970]

GRACE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1952
4861 St. Louis Ave. in 1952. 1621½ Franklin Ave. by 1955 [1955]

GRACE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1890
Organized 12/22/1890 in the home of John Bryant on Blackstone Ave. Their first pastor was Rev. H. J. Mulholland. For the next several years the congregation used a hall on Goodfellow north of Easton. On June 2, 1894 the cornerstone of their first permanent home was laid at Goodfellow and Ridge. Shortly before completion the building was destroyed by fire and a temporary structure went up on Blackstone between Ridge and Wells. A later church at at 5601 Ridge Ave.) was built in 1909 and razed in 1994. [1994]

GRACE PRESBYTERIAN MISSION SUNDAY SCHOOL [Presbyterian] pre 1900)
6804 Bleeck Ave. (aka GRACE MISSION) [1905]

GRACE ROCK (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist]pre 1965
4171 Fair Ave. in 1965. 4153 N. Newstead Ave. by 1970 [1970]

GRACE TABERNACLE CHURCH pre 1960
2911 Franklin Ave. [1970]

GRACE TABERNACLE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
4153 N. Newstead Ave. [1970]

GRACE TEMPLE APOSTOLIC CHURCH pre 1970
2526 N. Taylor Ave. [1970]

GRACE TEMPLE (Church) pre 1960
2628 N. Jefferson Ave. in 1960. 2501 N. Market by 1965. [1965]

GRACE TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1965
5712 Minerva Ave. [1965]

GRACE UNITED BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
5800 S. Broadway in 1960. 5427 Virginia Ave. by 1965. [1965]

GRACE UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST [Church of Christ] pre 1970
See GRACE EVANGELICAL & REFORMED CHURCH

GRACE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
See GRACE METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH

GRAHAM MEMORIAL CHAPEL pre 1920
Waghinton University [1920]

GRAND AVENUE (Blvd.) CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1895
2701 N. Grand Ave., Rev. Elisha Anderson, pastor in 1915. 2547 N. Grand, Rev. W. E. Darrow by 1920 [1925]

GRAND AVENUE CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1885
Obear Ave (at 20th St.) Rev. Thomas H. Hagerty, pastor [1885]

GRAND AVENUE CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1853
Formed by the union of PINE STREET and WESTMINISTER Churches. Dr. Mc Pheeter was their first pastor. First chapel was built at 11th and Pine with a new chapel built in 1880 at Washington and Grand. [1880]

GRAND AVENUE CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE [Church of the Nazarene] pre 1946
4321 N. 20th St. [1952]

GRAND AVENUE METHODIST
See SCRUGGS MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

GRAND AVENUE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SOUTH [Methodist Episcopal] 1906
Grand (at ne Connecticut) Rev. J. W. Worsnop, pastor 1910, Rev. L. R. Jenkins, pastor, 1929. [1929]

GRAND AVENUE MISSION [Methodist Episcopal, South] pre 1875
Grand Ave. s. of Laclede Ave. [1875]

GRAND AVENUE UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1883 – 1923
In 1881 the First United Presbyterian Church organized a mission at Grand and Clark which became the Grand Avenue United Presbyterian Church in Oct. 1883, first pastor, C.J.W. Ashwood. Moved to Grand Ave (at Forest Park Blvd.) in 1890, Rev. David Livingston, pastor, were they built a stone church there in 1895. In 1902 a group left the church to form the GIBSON HEIGHTS CHURCH and in 1923, the name of the Grand Avenue Church was changed to SECOND UNITED CHURCH. [1923]

GRAND MEMORIAL A.M.E. ZION [A.M.E. Zion] pre 1910
Montrose Ave. (nr Atlantic) [1910]

GRANT A.M.E. CHURCH [A.M.E.] pre 1920
2410 Ecoff Ave. [1920]

GRANT METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] pre 1925
2410 Ecoff Ave. [1925]

GRATIOT STREET MISSION (African-American) pre 1920
1547 Gratiot [1925]

GRAVOIS AVENUE CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1961
1228 Allen [1970]

GRAVOIS GOSPEL HALL [1946]
Unknown address

GRAVOIS MISSION pre 1895
3000 Gravois Ave. [1895]

GRAVOIS ROAD EVANGELICAL MISSION
See EVANGELICAL CHURCH OF THE REDEEMER

GREATER BETHESDA MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1865
2809 Stoddard [1965]

GREATER BROWN [A.M.E. Zion] pre 1955
1500 Cole in 1955. 917 N. 15th St. in 1964. 2705 St. Louis Ave. by 1970. [1974]

GREATER CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1946
3620 Finney [1970]

GREATER CALVARY INSTITUTIONAL CHURCH pre 1940
3908 Finney [1940]

GREATER DAMASCUS MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
1046 Elliott Ave. [1970]

GREATER EBENEZER BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
3966 Fairfax Ave. [1960]

GREATER FAIRFAX BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1946
3845 Cook Ave. in 1946. 2941 Greer. By 1986 [2003]

GREATER FAITH BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1970
1411 N. Grand Blvd. Rm. 225 [1970]

GREATER FAITH MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
4200 W. Kossuth Ave. in 1970. 4114 Natural Bridge [2003]

GREATER GREGG CHAPEL A.M.E. CHURCH [A.M.E.] pre 1952
See GREGG CHAPEL A.M.E. CHURCH

GREATER HARVEST MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
4266 W. Finney Ave. [1960]

GREATER LIBERTY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
3513 Cass Ave. [1970]

GREATER MONUMENTAL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
5827 Cote Brilliante Ave. [1970]

GREATER MT. CARMEL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
1617 N. Euclid (aka Mt. CARMEL BAPTIST CHURCH) [2003]

GREATER MT. ZION (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
1621½ Franklin Ave. in 1960. 1725 Franklin Ave. by 1965 [1965]

GREATER NEW MACEDONIAN MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
5474 Wabada Ave. [1970]

GREATER NINEVAH BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist]pre 1965
4126 Fairfax Ave. [1970]

GREATER PARADISE (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1946
1309 N. 20th in 1946. 2024 O’Fallon by 1952. 2923 Dickson by 1955. 1428 N. Garrison Ave. by 1986. [2003]

GREATER PROGRESSIVE (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1952
1430 N. 17th in 1952. 4652 St. Louis Ave. by 1955. 3917 N. Taylor by 1965. [2003]

GREATER PROVIDENCE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1952
1827 N. Taylor Ave. [1970]

GREATER SHILOH BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1952
2826 Spruce [1955]

GREATER SHILOH MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
1024 Mississippi [1960]

GREATER ST. MARK MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
1903 N. Grand Blvd [1970]

GREATER ST. PAUL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1946
2143 Walnut in 1946. 6117 Page Blvd. By 1965. Curently at 5503 Gilmore. [2003]

GREATER TRUE LOVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
2865 Semple Ave. [1965]

GREATER TRUE VINE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1946
2649 Delmar Blvd. [1946]

GREATER TRUE VINE SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1965
5323 Easton Ave. in 1965. 4635 Delmar Blvd by 1970. Currentlt located at 4513 Olive St. [2003]

GREATER UNION A.M.E. CHURCH
See GREATER UNION METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

GREATER UNION BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1935
2008 Wash in 1935. 1213 Prairie Ave. by 1960. Currently at 1026 N. Vandeventer [2003]

GREATER UNION METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [A.M.E.] pre 1946
1313 N. Jefferson Ave. (aka GREATER UNION A.M.E. CHURCH [1955]

GREATER UNION MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1940
1900 Carr in 1940. 3879 Windsor Pl. by 1965. [1970]

GREATER WHITE STONE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1946
1918 Franklin Ave. [1946]

GREATER ZION HILL CHURCH pre 1970
4171 Fair Ave. [1970]

GREATER ZION HILL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1955
2001 Cole [1960]

GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH pre 1925
1024 Mississippi Ave. [1925]

GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH OF ANNUNCIATION pre 1960
438 N. Skinker Blvd [1960]

GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH OF ST. NICHOLAS
See ST. NICHOLAS GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH

GREELEY (Memorial) PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1864
Organized in July 12, 1864 by Thomas Morrison of the Second Presbyterian Church, to serve the Protestant Free School Association (aka Biddle Market Mission) as a Sunday school in a hall above the old Biddle Market (13th & Biddle). First known as FIRST INDEPENDENT CHURCH OF ST. LOUIS at 16th and Carr. Also known as MEMORIAL TABERNACLE and later still as MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (Blair Ave & Warren St.). The church came under the Presbytery of St. Louis pre 1895 (1501 Carr) and its name was changed to reflect this event. Rev. H. C. Mc Cook, first pastor. Their last move was into the Kobush residence at 2240 St. Louis Ave. (& 23rd St.) in 1929. [1970]

GREEN GROVE (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
2736 ½ Dickson in 1960. 1364-68 Hodiamont Ave. by 1965 [1970]

GREG CHAPEL A.M.E. CHURCH [A.M.E.] pre 1935
2736 Dickson in 1940. 2823 Dayton by 1946. Aka GREATER GREGG CHAPEL A.M.E. CHURCH. [1955]

GREGG TEMPLE C.M.E. CHURCH [C.M.E.] pre 1960
815 N. Beaumont [1960]

GREGGS CHAPEL pre 1960
4437 Elmbank Ave. [1970]

GRIFFIN TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1965
2949 Thomas [1970]

GUIDING LIGHT MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
2717 Cass Ave. in 1965. 2500 Semple Ave. by 1970. [1970]

GUIDING LIGHT PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1955
1428 Monroe [1960]


Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS