ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
F - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

FAIR AVENUE (N-S). When he laid out his subdivision of the White Place farm in 1859, Captain J.M. White named this street for the nearby fairgrounds of the St. Louis Agricultural and Mechanical Association in what is now Fairground Park. The street was known as Caroline Avenue from Natural Bridge to Penrose until 1882 and as Ruth Avenue from Rosalie to Algernon and between Broadway and Hall to 1893. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

FAIRFAX COURT (E-W). A residential court extending through a low-rise housing development between C. D. Banks and West Belle Place from Pendleton and Newstead. (Grand Prairie)

FAIRGROUNDS PLACE (N-S). In the private Washington Place subdivision of 1890, it was known as Washington Place between Kossuth and Sherman Place until 1929 when it received its present name for nearby Fairground Park. (Fairground)

FAIRMOUNT AVENUE (N-S). Sited in McDermott's 1905 Addition to Benton, it was named for Philadelphia's Fairmount Park. It later appeared in the 1916 Oakland Terrace First Addition. (Oakland)

FAIRMOUNT COURT (N-S). It appeared in the 1946 subdivision of Louisville Heights as an extension of Fairmount Avenue. (Oakland)

FAIRVIEW AVENUE (E-W). This street first appeared on St. Louis maps in the 1856 Robert W. Hunt Subdivision, between Grand and Gustine avenues. Its name was derived form the beautiful vista that could be seen from its elevated location. (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

FALL AVENUE (N-S). Received its name as a counterpart to Spring Avenue located one block west. The contrast was inaccurate, however, because Spring Avenue was named for a water spring, not a season of the year. (Grand Prairie)

FAMOUS AVENUE (E-W). Platted in the Ritter Place Subdivision of 1887 and named after the Famous Shoe and Clothing Company. (Clifton)

FANNIE AVENUE (E-W). Ward 11, Precinct 1. A pet form of Frances, from the French meaning "free". (The Patch)

FARLIN AVENUE (E-W). In John W. Farlin's subdivision of 1860, it was named for the land owner. It was known as Slevin Avenue from Euclid to Geraldine until 1926. (Arlington) (Fairground)

FAQUIER DRIVE (E-W). Commemorated Francis Faquier (1704-1768), English statesman and lieutenant-governor of the royal colony of Virginia, when it appeared in the Ellenwood subdivision of 1922. (Kingsbury)

FARRAGUT STREET (E-W). In Weber and Seigried's subdivision of 1870, it honors Admiral David G. Farragut (1801-1870), the naval hero of the Civil War battles of New Orleans and Mobile Bay. It was known as Perry street from Fourteenth to Twentieth streets until 1893. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

FARRAR STREET (E-W). Honored Dr. Bernard G. Farrar, owner of the land and a pioneer physician in St. Louis, in the Farrar Addition of 1850. He died in the St. Louis cholera epidemic of 1849. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

FASSEN STREET (E W). In the 1859 subdivision of the St. Louis Commons north of the River des Peres, this street was named Allen Street. It was named for Louis Fassen, a local land owner, in 1882. (Marquette-Cherokee)

FAULKNER DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park named for William Faulkner, a proponent of locating the Mounted Police Station in the park. (Kingsbury)

FEDERER PLACE (E-W). A tribute to William Federer, a south side real estate man and one of the principal developers of Holly Hills. The street originated in the Holly Hills subdivision of 1923. Between Leona and Carlsbad, this street was named Iron Street until 1936. (Morganford)

FENDLER PLACE and COURT (N-S). Fendler Place was platted in the 1925 F. J. Fendler's Subdivision of Out Lot 32, and Fendler Court was laid out in the Fendler Court Subdivision of 1953. (Oak Hill)

FERN STREET (N-S). Probably a plant name but one used infrequently as a female name which occurred first in the 1884 subdivision of Ellendale. (Oakland)

FERRIS AVENUE (E-W). If from the Irish, a variant of Farris. If from the English, then from the word "ferrier," or one who shoes horses or works with iron. First appeared in the Homesites subdivision of 1919. (Arlington)

FERRY STREET (E-W). Originated in Bissell's Second Addition of 1852, taking its name from the location of the Madison County ferry to Venice, Illinois, which landed at the foot of this street. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

FIELD AVENUE (N-S). Named for the family of Roswell M. Field in his 1872 subdivision of the Carondelet Common Fields. (Morganford)

FIFTEENTH STREET (N-S). First appeared under its present name in the Charles H. Lucas Addition of 1841. Five years earlier the segment of 15th that extended southward from Clark Avenue to Chouteau's Pond was named Reilly in J. P. Reilly's Addition. With the draining of Chouteau's Pond, the name was changed to 15th Street in 1851. In Old North St. Louis, it was Sixteenth Street from Carr to Chambers until 1883. (Downtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

FIFTY-NINTH STREET (N-S). So named because it marked the beginning of the block located at 5900 west. Until 1925, it was known as Woods Street. (The Hill)

FILLMORE STREET (E W). Honors Milliard Fillmore, thirteenth president of the United States (1850 1853), who offered St. Louisan Edward Bates a cabinet appointment which the Missourian declined. Fillmore Street originally was F Street in the town of Carondelet. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

FINE ARTS DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park which is the way to the St. Louis Art Museum. (Kingsbury)

FINKMAN STREET (E-W). Originally appeared in the 1860 subdivision of H. Louis Finkman's Garden Lots, but it was unnamed until 1892. Finkman is listed as a "peddler" and "huckster" in various city directories of the 1860s. (Southwest)

FINNEY AVENUE (E-W). John Finney, a merchant who arrived in St. Louis in 1821, owned a strip of land known as the Dunegand tract. The strip was subdivided in 1868 and the street named for the owner. (Grand Prairie)

FIRST STREET. (N-S). As the most important street in colonial St. Louis, it was called La Grande Rue. After American takeover in 1804, the name was Anglicized to Main Street and then changed to First Street by city ordinance in 1881. (Downtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman) (Soulard)

FLAD AVENUE (E-W). For Henry Flad, civil engineer, water commissioner and assistant engineer to James B. Eads during the construction of the Eads Bridge between 1867 and 1874. (Shaw)

FLORA AVENUE (E-W). See explanation for
FLORA PLACE (E-W).

FLORA COURT (E-W). A short extension of Flora Place, east of Grand. (Compton Hill)

FLORA PLACE (E-W). A name chosen by Henry Shaw, Flora extended westward from Compton Hill and Grand Boulevard to the main (east) entrance of his Botanical Garden. The street ran along the south edge of a narrow common field. Flora is derived from the Latin word for flower. (Shaw)

FLORIDA STREET (E-W). Honored the state of Florida in the 1850 subdivision of Thomas Payne's property in Central St. Louis. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

FLORISS PLACE (E-W). In Hedmann's O'Fallon Park Addition Number One of 1923, it was named for its proximity to Florissant Avenue. (Fairground)

FLORISSANT AVENUE (N-S). In the 1845 subdivision by the heirs of John Mullanphy, it marked the start of the road from St. Louis to Florissant, which means "flowering" in French. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

FLORISSANT AVENUE NORTH (N-S). See explanation for
FLORISSANT AVENUE (N-S). (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

FLOY AVENUE (N-S). First occurring in the 1911 Coshocton Heights subdivision honors James Floy (1806-1863), American Methodist Episcopal clergyman and author. (Walnut Park)

FOLSOM AVENUE (E-W). When the Democratic National Convention of 1888 was held in St. Louis, developers of the newly opened Dundee Place and Tyler Place subdivisions sought to attract interest in their house lots by naming streets for Grover Cleveland and his wife, Frances Folsom. (Shaw)

FORDEY STREET (N-S). Laid out in the 1856 Germantown subdivision, from Thatcher to Antelope streets, it was called Centre Avenue until 1887. Fordey is an unusual American name, perhaps an Americanized version of the English "Forde" or the Norwegian "Fo/rde" (Baden-Riverview)

FOREST AVENUE (N-S). Appeared on St. Louis maps in the early 1890s in a resubdivision of the James V. Prather Estate that was dedicated originally in 1871. (Oakland)

FOREST PARK AVENUE and PARKWAY (E-W). Originally platted in the 1884 Laclede Avenue and Forest Park Boulevard Subdivision, as another broad approach to Forest Park. Its name was changed to Forest Park Avenue in 1923. (Central West End) (Midtown)

FORSYTH BOULEVARD (E-W). Named in honor of Robert Forsyth, a prominent 19th-century landowner in the area (he donated part of the land used to create Forest Park). (Kingsbury)

FOUNTAIN AVENUE (E-W). Fountain Park was the name given to a small elliptical park in the center of the Aubert Place subdivision of John Lay's estate in 1857. Later, the name Fountain Avenue was given to the perimeter street surrounding the park. (Grand Prairie)

FOURTEENTH STREET (N-S). Created in the platting of the James H. Lucas Addition to St. Louis in 1841. In J. P. Reilly's Addition of 1836, which lay south of Clark Avenue, the street was called Sarpy Avenue. By 1851, it was known as Fourteenth Street. From Lucas Avenue to Biddle Street, it was named Fifteenth Street until 1883. (Downtown) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman) (Soulard)

FOURTH STREET (N-S). The original three north-south streets of colonial St. Louis could not contain the rapid influx of Americans who came to St. Louis after 1804. Soon a new street, one block west of the colonial Third Street, appeared and received the name of Fourth. In 1826 this name was confirmed by city ordinance for the street segment extending from Chouteau Avenue to Franklin Avenue. Formerly known as Easton Street from Barton to Lynch until l88l, it was also named Congress and Bismarck in various sections of the Soulard neighborhood until it was renamed Fourth Street by a l9l8 city ordinance. (Downtown) (Soulard)

FOXX LANE (N-S). See
REDD FOXX LANE (N-S). (Grand Prairie)

FRANCIS STREET (N-S). In Daniel D. Page's Third Western Addition to St. Louis, it hears the given name of Francis Coleman, the owner of land in the area. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

FRANKE COURT (N-S). Named for the developer, the C. H. Franke Realty Company, in the Franke Court Subdivision of 1926. Franke is German for "one who came from Franconia, in central Germany; the free man." (Clifton) (Southwest)

FRANKLIN AVENUE (E-W). The portion of this street between Leffingwell Avenue and Grand Boulevard, which retains the name of Franklin, honors Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), American statesman, printer, scientist and philosopher. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

FREDERICK STREET (N-S). Laid out in the Kraft Place subdivision of 1906, it honored Frederick Kraft, a Baden pioneer. (Baden-Riverview)

FREMONT STREET (E-W). Named for John Charles Fremont (1813-1890), the American explorer, soldier and political leader (he married Jessie Benton, the daughter of Thomas Hart Benton). Appeared in the Columbia Place First Addition of 1913. (Baden-Riverview)

FRENCH AVENUE and COURT (E-W). In the 1872 Roswell M. Field subdivision of the Carondelet Common Fields, the name honors a Mrs. French who was a feminine relative of the Field family. (Morganford)

FRENCH MARKET COURT (N-S). Named for the public market which bore that name. (La Salle Park) (Central Business District)

FRIEDA AVENUE (E-W). In the late-19th century, Frieda was a somewhat popular feminine form of "Fred". It showed up as the name of a street in the 1905 subdivision of Morgan Place. (Oak Hill)

FRISCO AVENUE (E-W). Named for the adjacent railroad yard of the St. Louis & San Francisco (Frisco) Railway. (Southwest)

FYLER AVENUE (E-W). Commemorates James D. Fyler, an early landowner, in the subdivision of his estate in 1866. (Clifton) (The Hill) (Oakland) (Southwest)

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS