ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
F - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

FAHOME TEMPLES OF DIVINE CULTURE [Divine Science] pre 1940
1012 N. 21st St. Paul Johnson, founder [1940]

FAIRFAX (Avenue) BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) 1886
3966 Fairfax, pastor: D. W. Morris. 911 N. Vandeventer, Rev. J. D. Howard pastor, 1929. 930 N. 23rd St. by 1930. 1034 N. Vandeventer Ave. by 1935. 3845 Cook Ave. by 1955. 2935 Greer Ave. by 1965. [1970]

FAIRFAX MISSION [Presbyterian] pre 1885
4006 Fairfax [1885]

FAIRGROUND MISSION CHURCH [Christian] 1877-1911
Fairground Mission Church was formed by the old Third Church, later became the CHURCH OF THE REDEEMER and merged with UNION CHURCH in 1911, and joined FOUNTAIN PARK CHURCH in 1918. [1918]

FAIRMOUNT CHAPEL [Presbyterian] pre 1875
9th between Salisbury & Bremen Ave. A. W. Wright, pastor by 1880. [1880]

FAIRMOUNT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1858
9th and Penrose [1858]

FAIRVIEW BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1948
5320 College (at Dawson). [2003]

FAIRVIEW SOUTHERN MISSIONARY CHURCH pre 1940
1846 Menard [1940]

FAITH A.M.E. CHURCH [A.M.E.] pre 1965
3946 Finney Ave [1965]

FAITH ASSEMBLY pre 1970
638 E Athlone Ave. [1970]

FAITH BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1948
3101 N. Jefferson Ave. [1960-1965] 4216 W. Lexington [1952-1955] 3702 N. Market [1948-1955]

FAITH BIBLE (Presbyterian) CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1952
1025 Rutger [1960]

FAITH CHAPEL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
3964 Washington Blvd. (rear) [1970]

FAITH CHURCH OF GOD & SAINTS OF CHRIST pre 1965
4415 Aldine Ave. [2003]

FAITH CLINIC pre 1960
4235 Finney Ave. [1960]

FAITH EVANGELICAL CHURCH [Evangelical] Pre 1952
5010 Terry Ave. [1955]

FAITH FULL GOSPEL TABERNACLE pre 1965
1210 Wright [1965]

FAITH GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
2843 S. Jefferson Ave. [1970]

FAITH (German United Evangelical) LUTHERAN CHURCH [United Lutheran] 1926
Also known as FAITH UNITED LUTHERAN. Organized at a meeting in Mt. Moriah Temple (3625 N. Garrison & Natural Bridge) on Feb. 28,1926. Their first pastor was Rev. Alfred L. Grewe and the first services were held a Mt. Moriah in Oct. 1926. They merged with REFORMED UNITED LUTHERAN CHURCH that same year. Construction of their church began in 1930 at 2831 N. Kingshighway Blvd. (at Terry Ave.), and was dedicated Mar. 15, 1931. An offshoot of Grace Lutheran, they belonged to the United Lutheran Church of America. In 1957, Faith Lutheran moved west into St. Louis County, and sold the church to All Saint’s Episcopal Church. [1957]

FAITH GOSPEL ASSEMBLY pre 1970
3101 N. __ St. [1970]

FAITH HEALING TABERNACLE pre 1955
2401 S. Broadway [1955]
2008 S. Jefferson Ave. [1960-1965]

FAITH MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
2865 Semple Ave. in 1970. 4738 Natural Bridge [2003]

FAITH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1895
Tower Grove Ave. (se cor Mc Ree Ave.) Rev. W. V. Lippe, pastor. [1895]

FAITH TABERNACLE CHURCH pre 1970
2008 S. Jefferson Ave. [1970]

FAITH TEMPLE pre 1965
5019 Morganford Rd. [1965]

FAITH TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1960
1252 N. Leffingwell Ave. in 1960. 1000 Mississippi by 1970 [1970]

FAITH TEMPLE PENTECOSTAL CHURCH OF GOD OF AMERICAN pre 1970
2601 19th St. [1970]

FATHER DEVINE PEACE MISSION pre 1940
2750 Clark Ave. [1940]

FELLOWSHIP BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1952
3217 Roger Place [1952]

FELLOWSHIP CENTER CHURCH (of St. Louis) [Christian, Disciples of Christ] pre 1955
1121 N. 9th (aka FELLOWSHIP CENTER OF ST. LOUIS MISSOURI) [1964]
See also CHRIST IN THE CITY CHURCH

FERGUSON TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD pre 1970
3753 Kossuth Ave. [1970]

FIFTH BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1885
4115 Papin (near Barrett), Rev. W. J. Brown, pastor. Currentlt at 3736 Natural Bridge. [2003]

FIFTH CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] 1889
1501 Penrose Street or 3331 S. 7th St. in 1890. 3331 S. 7th by 1895, Rev. W. F. Hamann, pastor in 1900. 4300 Delmar Blvd by 1920 [1935]

FIFTH CHURCH
See FIFTH BAPTIST CHURCH

FIFTH CHURCH FOR THE REDEEMER OF SOULS pre 1925
4123 Gravois Ave. [1925]

FIFTH CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST [Christian Science] 1915
320 N. Grand Ave, First Reader Paul Shortridge in 1915. 3121 S. Grand by 1920. 3630 S. Grand by 1925. 3452 Potomac St. (at Arkansas) Church was constructed in 1929 and dedicated June 31, 1945. Christian Science churches are not dedicated until completely free of debt. [1970]

FIFTH CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
See COMPTON HILL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

FIFTH SPIRITUALIST CHURCH [Organized Spiritualist] pre 1920
1500 Benton, Miss Clara Riedell, associate minister in 1920. 4386 Papin by 1955. 6026 S. Kingshighway Blvd by 1965 [2003]

FIFTH STREET BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1955
4115 Papin [1955]

FINNEY TEMPLE CHURCH OF CHRIST [C of C-Holiness] (African-American)
See TEMPLE CHURCH OF CHRIST

FIRMIN DESLOGES HOSPITAL CHAPEL [Catholic] 1933
1325 S. Grand Blvd., designed by Ralph Adams Cram, Boston. [1933]

FIRST AFRICAN BAPTIST CHURCH
See FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH

FIRST AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [African Methodist Episcopal] pre 1861
E side of 7th St between O’Fallon & Cass Ave. [1861]

FIRST AMERICAN CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN [Cumberland Presbyterian] pre 1875
See CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN GETHSEMANE CHURCH

FIRST ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1946
1746 Mississippi Ave. [1946]

FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1930
6354 Kennerly Ave. [1935]
2136 O’Fallon [1930]
3141a Washington Blvd [1940]

FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH (African-American)
See FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF CARONDELET

FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1818 – 1832
John Mason Peck and James Eby Welch formed First Baptist Church, with a primarily black congregation on Feb. 18, 1818. The Second Baptist Church became that number because the First Baptist Church (organized 1818), after a struggle of fourteen years, disbanded. In 1818, they began to build the first Protestant church in St. Louis (at Market and Third Streets) about two blocks from the Catholic Church (Old Cathedral). By 1827, former slave John Berry Meachum was pastor.

FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH (of St. Louis City) [Baptist African-American] 1822
The oldest of the black Baptists churches in St. Louis. Organized in 1822, before the white congregation of that name became extinct. Originally known as ST. PAUL’S COLORED BAPTIST CHURCH. The first pastor was Rev. John Barry Meachum. The first church was located on Almond between 4th & 5th Sts. In 1885 the congregation moved to the formed Third Baptist Church building at 1320 Clark St. (nr 14th) until moving to 3100 Bell Ave. (at Cardinal) in 1920. Formerly home to St. Mark’s English Lutheran Church. The church suffered a fire in 1942 but was rebuilt. Currently at 2280 Mc Kelvey (County?) [2003]

FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF CARONDELET
See CARONDELET BAPTIST CHURCH

FIRST BETHEL (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1955
1900 Carr in 1955. 1313 N. Jefferson Ave. by 1960 [1965]

FIRST BIBLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1952
See BIBLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF St. Louis

FIRST BOATMAN’S EVANGELICAL CHURCH [Evangelical] 1852
Green St. below 3rd. [1852]

FIRST BULGARIAN EVANGELICAL MISSION [Evangelical] pre 1920
1510 S. 3rd St. [1920]

FIRST CARONDELET CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1880
5th at Taylor. Rev. E. L. Scofield, pastor [1880]

FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian, Disciples of Christ] 1837
First organized in 1837 by a group lead by Robert Fife, who meet for prayer meeting in various homes and Sheppard’s School (4th St. opposite the court house), they were soon disbanded. A second attempt was made to organize First Christian Church was made in 1842. Meetings were held in the Wainwright School and later the Lyceum Hall (3rd & Pine) until a site was located at 6th and Franklin in 1845. By 1852 they had moved to a large brick building at 5th near Franklin, first pastor Joseph Patton. In 1863 the church purchased the former St. Paul Episcopal Church at 17th and Olive. Dr. W. H. Hopson was pastor in 1875. In 1888 a new building was erected at 3126 Locust St. (near Compton Ave.) In 1914 they moved into the former Delmar Baptist Church at 4300 Delmar (at Pendleton Aves.) In 1935 they moved to 4948 Fountain Ave. (at Aubert Ave.) in a church formerly occupied by Aubert Place Congregational Church & Fountain Park Congregational. They in turned sold the property at Delmar and Pendleton to the First Church of the Nazarene in 1937 and moved to 1901 Lynch by 1955. [1955]

FIRST CHRISTIAN FUNDAMENTAL CHURCH 1893
1640 S. Compton Ave. (at Lafayette) Rev. Joseph L. Autenrieth, pastor in 1962. [1970]

FIRST CHURCH [Christian]
See FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH

FIRST CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal, South] pre 1875
See FIRST METHODIST CHURCH, South

FIRST CHURCH DEVINE pre 1970
4134 Easton Ave. [1970]

FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST [Church of Christ] pre 1952
2905 Magnolia Ave. [1955]

FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST [Christian Science] 1894
Founded as one of the first five Christian Science churches in the world in March 1894. Meetings were first held at the Beethoven Conservatory at 1603 Olive. First church was built in 1895 at 2726 Pine (east of Leffingwell) (28th St.) and dedicated Nov. 10, 1895. In 1902 they moved to the Odeon Theatre on Grand when larger quarters were needed. Their new church, designed by Mauran, Russell & Garden, was opened at 5000 Westminister (at 475 North Kingshighway Blvd.) in 1904, renovated 1949. Designated City Landmark in Jan. 1972. [2003]

FIRST CHURCH OF CONSOLATION pre 1930
3010 Lemp Ave [1940]

FIRST CHURCH OF DEVINE SCIENCE
See SOCIETY OF PRACTICAL CHRISTIANITY

FIRST CHURCH OF GOD [C.O.G.I.C] 1890
Organized by a small band of 10 people who began worshipping in a stable loft at 2727 Washington. Their first minister was the Rev. Mr. Bennett. After worshipping in more than a dozen different places they purchased their church 4201 N. Newstead (at Penrose) from the Presbyterians in 1919. Located at 809 Riverview in 1964. [1989]

FIRST CHURCH OF GOD (in North America) pre 1955
2906 Magnolia Ave. [1989]

FIRST CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE [Church of the Nazarene] 1918
Organized Oct. 7, 1918 in the home of Rev. R. V. Starr, 4232 Castleman Ave. Their first home was a brick structure on the northwest corner of Barrett & Garrison Aves. First Church assisted in the organization of the LAFAYETTE PARK CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE (California & St. Vincent) and ZION CHURCH (Michigan & Neosho) In 1926 they moved to Tower Grove and Hunt and again in July 1927 the moved to 1324 Tower Grove and Vista. In 1937 the purchased a building, originally the home of Delmar Baptist Church (4302 Delmar and Pendleton Aves.), and sold in turn to Galilee Baptist in 1947. 3965 St. Louis Ave. by 1952. 1601 Veronica. [1960]

FIRST CHURCH OF THE NEW JERUSALEM [Swedenborgian] 1842
The first NEW JERUSALEM SOCIETY OF ST. LOUIS was organized by the Rev. T. O. Prescott in the home of Charles Barnard (10th & Morgan) on Nov. 20, 1842. In 1850 their first church, a two-story brick building, was erected at 6th and St. Charles Sts. Dissention caused a break among the member and the majority joined their pastor to form the ST. LOUIS NEW CHURCH SOCIETY. In 1868 they were again reorganized as the FIRST PARISH OF THE NEW CHURCH. This group ceased to function in 1877 and was replaced by the FIRST SOCIETY OF THE NEW JERUSALEM. In the 1870’s they moved to a new home at 29th and Lucas Ave. which served until 1891. When replaced by the church at 620 N. Spring Ave. (Cabanne) Building is now home to the National Memorial Family Church of God in Christ. Aka NEW JERUSALEM CHURCH[1946]

FIRST COLORED CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1875
Almond between 4th & 5th. J. W. Cartwright, pastor. Moved to Clark near 14th in 1885. [1885]

FIRST CONGREGATION CHURCH
See FIRST (German) CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Congregational] 1852
The first church of this denomination in St. Louis, came into being in Mar. 14, 1852 when a majority of Third Presbyterian Church members voted to become Congregationalists. Their first pastor was Dr. Truman Marcellus Post. The present First Congregational, then known as the FIRST TRINITARIAN CHURCH, moved from its former location at 10th and Locust to a wooden chapel at Grand and Delmar in 1879. In 1885, the present stone church building at that location was occupied. The new church, design by Hurd & Rice of Boston, came about through the influence of E. C. Rice. In 1915 the church had a temporary home at Washington University Chapel before moving to a new location at 6501 Wydown Blvd (& University Lane) in St. Louis county. The building on Delmar eventually became home to the Union Methodist Church. The old church, on Grandel Square, was recycled in 1991 and became the new home of the St. Louis Black Repertory Company. Aka FIRST TRINITY CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH. [2003]

FIRST CONGREGATIONAL SOCIETY OF ST. LOUIS
See CHURCH OF THE MESSIAH

FIRST (Congregational) UNITARIAN CHURCH
See CHURCH OF THE MESSIAH

FIRST CORINTHIAN BAPTIST CHURCH
See CORINTHIAN BAPTIST CHURCH

FIRST DAY ADVENT CHURCH pre 1910
2559 Emerson Ave., Rev. George C. Brown, pastor [1910]

FIRST DIVINE SCIENCE CHURCH (of St. Louis) [Divine Science] 1928
Founded by Rev. Henry Schroeder, this group started meeting in 1892 at Broadway and Shenandoah under the name GERMAN SOCIETY OF DIVINE SCIENCE. In 1898 they incorporated as the Society of Practical Christianity, and purchased the church at 18th and Pestolozzi. Moving to 1324 Pestalozzi in 1910. In 1915 the cornerstone of a new church was laid at 3617 Wyoming. (aka CHURCH OF PRACTICAL CHRISTIANITY; SOCIETY OF PRACTICAL CHRISTIANITY) [2003]

FIRST EVANGELICAL PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1965
2737 Chippewa [1965]

FIRST FREE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1920
2941 Lucas Ave. [1920] Destroyed by fire 7/15/1922, built in 1874 by Central Presbyterian Church. Plans to rebuild.
901 Lami [1965]

FIRST FREE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1925
3401 Franklin & Channing, Rev. Henry S. Shoutz in 1925, Rev. H. C. Maxwell, pastor 1929. [1946]

FIRST FREE METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] 1901
See FREE METHODIST (First) CHURCH

FIRST FREE RELIGIOUS SOCIETY OF ST. LOUIS pre 1875
Avenue Hall, 9th & Washington Ave. Horace Fox, pres. [1875]

FIRST FREE WILL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1895
3932 Papin (nr Manchester Ave.) aka ROCK SPRINGS (First) FREE WILL BAPTIST CHURCH, in 1910. Rev. Henry Hill, pastor. 5579 Labadie, pre 1964 [2003]
3401 Franklin [1935-1955] 1301 Park Ave. [1935]

FIRST FREE WILL CHURCH pre 1965
3932 Finney Ave. (basement) [1965]

FIRST FULL BIBLE pre 1900
2719 Morgan, Quinn W. Morrison, leader in 1905. 1119 Kentucky Ave. in 1910 [1910]

FIRST GALICIAN B. J. CONGREGATION [Jewish?] pre 1920
2111 Biddle, Rev. Isaac Lippel, rabbi [1920]

FIRST GERMAN BAPTIST CHURCH
See FIRST GERMAN CHURCH

FIRST GERMAN CHURCH [Baptist] 1849-1918
14th & Carr. Formed in 1849 with the assistance of John Mason Peck, pastor of Second Baptist Church. Moved to 2629 Rauschenbach by 1895. They changed their name during World War I to ST. LOUIS PARK BAPTIST CHURCH.

 FIRST GERMAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] (German) 1847 -1931
This congregation traces its origins to a group of immigrant Hollanders that held services at 13th and Park. The present PETERS MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH was founded in 1847. The congregation met in homes until 1863 when a church was finally organized. It was called the FIRST GERMAN CHURCH and met in the old Second Church at 5th and Walnut Streets. In 1864, it moved to Ninth and Marion Streets and then to a store at the northeast corner of 10th and (1000) Rutger Streets. In 1867, a chapel was built on the site and, in 1871, a church was constructed adjoining the chapel. This was wrecked in the 1896 tornado but was rebuilt. A new church was built in 1916, at Sidney Street and Minnesota Avenue and in 1931 a newer church was erected adjacent to the Sidney Street Church, which was then renamed the PETERS MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. [1931]

FIRST GERMAN CHURCH OF THE NEW JERSUALEM
See FIRST GERMAN SWEDENBORGIAN CHURCH

FIRST (German) CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Congregational] 1885
Organized June 25, 1885. Garfield Ave. (sw cor. Spring Ave.) Rev. George Horst, pastor [1910]

FIRST GERMAN CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Cumberland Presbyterian] 1857
Chambers at 15th St. [1857]

FIRST GERMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1853
Sw corner Benton & 13th Sts., Rev. Henry Norman, pastor, 1866, 1000 Wash, 1875. 1500 Wash St. by 1885 [1885]

FIRST GERMAN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
See FIRST GERMAN CHURCH

FIRST GERMAN SPIRITUALIST [Spiritualist] pre 1910
Mc Nair Ave. (nw cor Lynch) Rev. Clara T. Harry, pastor [1910]

FIRST GERMAN SWEDENBORGIAN CHURCH [Swedenborgian, New Jerusalem] (English) 1842
Swedenborgians, or the New Jerusalem Society, was first organized in St. Louis in 1842. The church building was erected in 1859 by the First German Society, and it still stands at North 14th and Howard Streets. Moved to 1201 Tyler (nw cor 12th) by 1890. Today this church is known as The CHURCH OF THE OPEN WORD and is located in West County at 1040 Dautel Ln. [1910]

FIRST GETHSEMANE CHURCH [Cumerbland Presbyterian] (German) pre 1880
Sullivan Ave at 20th St. Rev. Frederick Lack, pastor., Sullivan & 25th, 1885 [1885]

FIRST INDEPENDENT BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
1414 Carr in 1960. 2801 Sheridan by 1965. 1801 Madison St. by 1970. [1970]

FIRST INDEPENDENT CHURCH OF ST. LOUIS [Presbyterian] 1864-1909
First Independent Church of St. Louis began as a mission of the Second Presbyterian Church, and started as an outgrowth of the Protestant Free School, which was founded in 1840 at 6th and Carr. The congregation moved to 14th and Carr and as the school flourished, the First Independent Church was organized by Thomas Morrison. A church building was built in 1880 at the SW corner of 16th and Carr, under the leadership of Carlos S. Greeley. The congregation became known as MEMORIAL TABERNACLE when it joined the Presbyterian of St. Louis. In 1909 the congregation moved to Blair and Warren, and the church assumed the name of GREELEY MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH in honor of it's benefactor. [1909]

FIRST ITALIAN BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1913
Organized June 20, 1913. 701 Cass Ave, Rev. E. V. Ghidoni in 1915. 930 Carr, Rev. Amedea Pasulta in 1920. 918 Carr, Rev. J. F. Plainfeld in 1925. 1028 N. 10th & Carr, Rev. Jerome F. D’Arpa, pastor by 1930. [1930]

FIRST LONE STAR CHURCH pre 1930
1709 Monroe [1930]

FIRST LUTHERAN SWEDISH CHURCH [Lutheran] pre 1880
702 Olive. Rev. N. H. Swenson, pastor, 11th & Oliveby 1885, Rev. Gusav Holmquist, pastor. [1885]

FIRST METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] pre 1970
5517 Lillian Ave. [1970]

FIRST METHODIST CHURCH SOUTH [Methodist Episcopal] 1821-1909
First Methodist Church South started in 1821 in a house near the Courthouse, moving in the next year to a frame chapel at 4th and Myrtle (Clark), by Rev. Jesse Walker. In 1830 it was known as the FOURTH STREET CHURCH, when it occupied a church at 4th and Washington. In 1854 it relocated at 8th and Washington, Rev. Thomas M. Finney, pastor. and in 1883 moved to 11th and Locust, finally leaving the downtown area in 1884 when it relocated at Glasgow and Dayton. Moved to University City in Sept. 1909 and changed their name to UNIVERSITY FIRST CHURCH. Aka FIRST CHURCH [1909]

FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH SOUTH
See MELLOW MEMORIAL CHURCH

FIRST PARISH OF THE NEW CHURCH
See FIRST CHURCH OF THE NEW JERUSALEM

FIRST PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1946
2199 Forest Ave. [1960]

FIRST PENTECOSTAL HOLINESS CHURCH (of St. Louis) [Holiness] pre 1955
284e S. Jefferson Ave. in 1955. 1965 Wyoming by 1960. [1965]

FIRST PILGRIM HOLINESS CHURCH [Holiness] pre 1946
4437 Elmbank Ave. in 1952. 4001 Tholozan Ave. by 1955. 1965 Wyoming St. by 1970 [1970]

FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1817
First Presbyterian Church was organized with nine members, in a schoolroom opposite the Courthouse, by Rev. Salmon Giddings in 1817. Their first church was erected on the west side of 4th near Washington, in an area then known as "Veranda Row", in 1825. The First Presbyterian Church, on nw cor 14th and Lucas Place, was dedicated on Oct. 21, 1855. Rev. Gidding served until his death in Feb. 1821. Some members who supported slavery left at the start of 1864 and formed what is now MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (on Skinker). The most noteworthy member of the church was Elijah P. Lovejoy, editor of the St. Louis Observer and an anti-slavery advocate, who was killed for his beliefs. This structure was abandoned in 1889 and was converted into a theater, and the church moved to 4100 Washington Blvd (at Sarah) in 1889. A fourth and final move took place in Oct. 1928 with the purchase of a church site at 7200 Delmar, in University City. [2003]

FIRST PROGRESSIVE SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1930
3933 Flad Ave. [1930]

FIRST PROVIDENCE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] Pre 1940
4354 Kennerly Ave. 4365 Kennerly by 1960. [1960]

FIRST REFORMED PRESBYTERIAN [Presbyterian] pre 1895
4512 Mc Millan Ave. Rev. T. A. Rusk, pastor [1910]

FIRST SOCIETY OF DIVINE SCIENCE [Divine Science] (African-American) pre 1930
4322 Easton Ave. [1930]

FIRST SOCIETY OF THE NEW JERUSALEM (or Swedenborgians). [Swedenborg] 1842
Organized in 1842, the group waxed and waned over the years, then reorganized anew in 1877. The congregation moved to 620 Spring Avenue, former homes of Garrison Avenue Baptist Church, from its 1878 church (razed) on Lucas near Ewing. In the mid-1930s this was the only New Jerusalem congregation in St. Louis and one of about fifty in the country. In 1956 the building title was passed to the Memorial Church of God in Christ. [1930]
See FIRST CHURCH OF THE NEW JERUSALEM.

FIRST SPIRITUAL ASSOCIATION [Spiritualist] pre 1910
4151 Delmar Blvd., Rev. Thomas Grimshaw, pastor [1910]

FIRST SPIRITUALIST CHURCH [Organized Spiritualist] pre 1920
3125 S. Broadway, Rev. Elizabeth Price, pastor in 1925. 4386 Bates by 1940 [1952]

FIRST ST. LOUIS BRETHREN [Non-Denominational?] pre 1885
Kossuth (at Grove) Rev. B. K. Berkeybile, pastor. [1885]

FIRST SWEDISH CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1885
Leffingwell Ave (at Bernard) Rev. Martin Hess, pastor in 1905. 1311 California Ave. by 1915, Rev. N. Cederholm by 1920. [1920]

FIRST TEMPLE CHURCH OF CHRIST pre 1940
4301 Page Blvd [1946]

FIRST TIMOTHY (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1935
2648 Papin in 1935. 1743 N. 9th by 1952. [1955]

FIRST TRINITARIAN CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
See FIRST TRINITY CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

FIRST TRINITY CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Congregational] 1852
Organized Mar. 14, 1852. W side of Fifth St., between Franklin Ave. & Wash St. Rev. T. M. Post, pastor 1866, 10th & Locust in 1870. 6501 Wydown Blvd in 1929. [1929]
See FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

FIRST UNITARIAN CHURCH OF ST. LOUIS [Unitarian] 1938
Formed by merger of CHURCH OF THE MESSIAH and UNITY. 5015 Waterman Ave. by 1942. 5007 Waterman Blvd. by 1965. [2003]

FIRST UNITED BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1952
1743 N. 9th in 1952. 2621 Russell Blvd by 1955 [1965]

FIRST UNITED (Gibson Heights)
See GIBSON HEIGHTS (United) PRESBYTERIAN

FIRST UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1839
Organized on Apr. 6, 1839 from a meeting of Scottish families in downtown St. Louis. The First United Presbyterian Church was located at 5th and Pine, then occupied a church at 20th and Morgan in 1873, 6800 Washington by 1929, and finally a church at 1910 N. Newstead (at Morgan) around 1895. This building became home to Lane Tabernacle M.E. (Colored) Church. Aka UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. [1929]

FIRST UNITY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1929
4062 Cook, Rev. I. Baker, pastor, 1929

FIRST UNITY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1930
4010 Fairfax Ave [1930]

FIRST UNIVERSALIST CHURCH [Universalist] pre 1861
Sw corn 6th and St. Charles Sts. [1861]

FIRST WESLEY A. M. CHURCH pre 1970
4007 Tholozan Ave. [1970]

FLOWER MEMORIAL METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] 1927
1324 Tower Grove Ave. [1927]

FLOWER MEMORIAL NAZERENE CHURCH [Church of the Nazarene] pre 1920
3201 Barrett, Rev. Roy V. Starr [1925]

FOREST PARK CHURCH OF GOD
See CHURCH OF THE APOSTOLIC ORDER

FOREST PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1900
4449 Manchester Ave., Rev. Dean R. Leland, pastor [1900]

FOREST UNITED GOSPEL MISSION pre 1960
1113 N. 14th St. [1960]

FORESTER’S UNION BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1935
2825 Lucas Ave. [1935]

FOUNTAIN PARK CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Congregational] 1869
In 1867 a small group founded a Sunday school at Grand Ave. and Lucky St. which subsequently became the MAYFLOWER CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH. Formed by Rev. John Monteith and sixty-one members who left PILGRIM CHURCH, Mar. 15, 1869. In 1876 they changed their name to the THIRD CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH which was located on Boston St. between Grand and Spring Aves. The chapel was moved the same year to Francis St., enlarged and rededicated in 1877. In 1881, due to growth, they again moved to Page and Grand Ave. Between 1886 and 1891 the frame church was razed and a brick church erected. In 1895 another congregation known as AUBERT PLACE CHURCH was erecting the present structure at 4948 Fountain Ave. (at Aubert). And they merged in 1918. They again merged with UNITED CONGREGATIONAL and in 1919 PLYMOUTH CHURCH was absorbed into this organization. Fountain Park Congregational was disbanded in 1934. [1934]

FOURSQUARE CHURCH pre 1952
1746 Mississippi Ave. in 1952. 7515 Morganford by 1965. [1989]

FOURSQUARE GOSPEL LIGHTHOUSE pre 1930
4449 Easton Ave. in 1930. 2849 N. Euclid [1935]

FOURTEENTH SPIRITUALIST [Spiritualist] pre 1925
1412 Evergreen Ave, Mrs. Johnson [1925]

 FOURTH BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1851
Fourth Baptist Church was located at 1301 Sullivan (at 13th St.) in the near north side area. It started as a mission of the Second Baptist under the name ZION BAPTIST CHURCH. Organized by Rev. J. B. Jeter, Sept 1851, their first pastor was Rev. Edward I. Owen. For the first seven years services were held in ‘Sturgeon Market’ (Broadway & N. Market) Their first church building, on North 12th between Benton and North Market, was dedicated in 1862. A small church was built on the present site in 1887 and was succeeded by the existing church in 1927 at 2901 N. 13th (at Sullivan). [2003]

FOURTH CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] 1882
Organized on Mar. 19, 1882, Built in 1886, Fourth Christian Church's original design is evident in spite of it's numerous remodeling jobs. 4310 Obear by 1929. 3621 Carter Ave. by 1930. 3950 Carter Ave. by 1935. Located at 1501 Penrose (at Blair). Presently home to New Harmony General Baptist Church. [1970]

FOURTH CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST [Christian Science] 1909
Located at Rose Hill Hall, Hamilton & Maple Aves., First Reader William E. Mc Mahan in 1910. 5569 Page Blvd. By 1925 [1970]

FOURTH FREE WILL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1955
4370 Vista Ave. in 1955. 2199 Forest Ave. by 1965. [2003]

FOURTH METHODIST CHURCH
See CENTENARY (United) METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH (South)

FOURTH MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
4468 St. Louis Ave. [1970]

FOURTH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
See CENTRAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

FOURTH SPIRITUALIST CHURCH [Organized Spiritualist] pre 1920
3607 N. 11th, Mrs. Emeline Stricker, associate minister [1920]

FOURTH STREET CHURCH
See FIRST METHODIST CHURCH, South

FOURTH STREET MISSION pre 1925
1110 S. 4th St. [1925]

FRANKLIN MIRACLE TEMPLE pre 1965
2101 Franklin Ave. [1970]

FRANKLIN TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1965
2306 Franklin Ave. [1965]

FRATERNAL ORDER OF SPIRITUALISM [Spiritualist] pre 1915
3006 Easton Ave., Rev. Mary Hunter in 1915. 4700 Easton Ave. & 3832 St. Louis Ave. by 1920 [1920]

FREE CHURCH OF CHRIST [Church of Christ] pre 1935
2525 N. Broadway [1935]

FREE GRACE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1952
217 N. Compton in 1952. 3113 Lawton Blvd in 1955. 5515 Cates Ave. by 1960. [1970]

FREE METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1861
6th St., between Franklin Ave. & Wash St. 1715 Biddle [1935]

FREE METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] pre 1920
1604 Glasgow Ave., Rev. Chris Otey [1920]

FREE METHODIST (First) CHURCH [Methodist] (African-American) pre 1880
816 Morgan in 1880, pastor Sheppard Adams. 3401 Morgan, Rev. Benjamin F. Grigg, pastor in 1910. 5075 Davison Ave. in 1924. 5000 Genevieve by 1955. Aka FIRST FREE METHOIDST CHURCH; WALNUT PARK FIRST FREE METHODIST CHURCH. [1970]

FREE PENTECOST CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1960
1309 S. Broadway [1960]

FREE WILL (African-American) pre 1920
407 S. Jefferson Ave. [1920]

FREE WILL BAPTIST [Bapist] (African American) pre 1890
3942 Papin (near Manchester) Rev. S. T. Thurman, pastor 2630 Papin by 1905. 2338 Papin by 1930. 1330 Geyer Ave. in 1946. See THIRD FREE WILL BAPTIST CHURCH in 1952 [1955] & 21st & Gratiot, Rev. Joseph W. White, pastor. [1905] 2700 Thomas [1946]
4910 N. Broadway [1965] 4468 Washington Blvd. [1960]
3616a Cozens Ave. [1960]

FREE WILL BAPTIST MISSION [Baptist] pre 1935
1407 S. 7th [1935]

FREE WILL CHURCH OF CHRIST [Church of Christ] 1970
4553 Easton Ave. [1970]

FREE WILL CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1970
2200 Warren St. [1970]

FREE WILL METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] pre 1940
Rear 1422 N. 14th [1940]

FREE WILL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1920
2242 Adams [1920]

FRIEDEN’S CHURCH
See FRIEDEN’S "Peace" UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST

FRIEDENS DEUTSCHE EVANGELISCHE KIRCHE.
See FRIEDEN’S "Peace" UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST

FRIEDEN"S EVANGELICAL AND REFORMED CHURCH
See FRIEDEN’S "Peace" UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST

FRIEDEN’S GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH
See FRIEDEN’S "Peace" UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST

FRIEDEN'S "Peace" UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST [United Church of Christ] (German) 1858
Organized on Oct. 15, 1858 as FRIEDENS GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH by the Rev. John M. Kopf, their first pastor. Rev. John M. Kopf served as their pastor for 49 years. For the first two years congregation worshipped in Fairmont Presbyterian Church (9th & Penrose).First building on the present site was finished in Apr. 1861. Present structure located at the SW corner of 1908 Newhouse (at 3959 N. 19th), was completed in 1908 but was heavily damaged by the tornado of 1927. The structure was rebuilt in 1928, Rev. Paul Press, pastor, 1929. Also known as FRIEDENS DEUTSCHE EVANGELISCHE KIRCHE and/or FRIEDENS EVANGELICAL AND REFORMED CHURCH [2003]
In 1864 the Frieden’s Church laid out a cemetery on Broadway, one mile north of Baden. [1965]

FRIENDLY ASSEMBLER OF GOD pre 1955
3911 Blair Ave. [1955]

FRIENDLY ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1960
1501 Bremen Ave. [1960]

FRIENDLY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1955
2621 Lawton Blvd. 5637 Easton Ave. by 1960. [1960]

FRIENDLY PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1965
1860 S. 9th St. [1965] 2006 S. 12th St. [1965] 2737 Chippewa St. [1970]

FRIENDLY TEMPLE CHURCH pre 1965
1488 Belt Ave. [1970]

FRIENDLY TEMPLE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
3512 Evans Ave. in 1960. 2929 N. Vandeventer Ave. by 1965. 5544 Martin Luther King Dr. [2003]

FRIENDS OF ISRAEL MISSION pre 1910
1107 Wash [1910]

FRIENDSHIP ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1952
3135 S. Broadway by 1952. 3205 S. 7th St. by 1965. 7300 Virginia Ave. by 1970. 323 W. Marceau by 1989. [2003]

FRIENDSHIP BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
5597 Etzel Ave. in 1960. 1200 Clara Ave. [2003]

FRIENDSHIP MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1930
2600 Thomas in 1930. 2720 Spruce by 1946. 4216 W. Lexington Ave. by 1960. 2519 N. Sarah Av. By 1965. Currently at 1984 Parker Rd., Florissant [2003]

FULL GOSPEL (Assembly) CHURCH pre 1952
4261 Hunt Ave. in 1952. 4628 Olive St. by 1970. Currently at 7121 Manchester Rd. Designated a City Landmark in Sept. 1978. [1978]

FULL GOSPEL ASSEMBLY pre 1960
3300 Lemp Ave. [1960]

FULL GOSPEL ASSEMBLY OF CHRIST pre 1915
2733 Franklin [1915]

FULL GOSPEL ASSEMBLY OF GOD pre 1955
2300 Benton [1960]

FULL GOSPEL CHRISTIAN HOME pre 1901
1701 Locust Ave., Rev. W. H. Peffley, pastor [1900]

FULL GOSPEL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1940
3337 N. 11th St. [1955] 2607 N. 19th [1940] 2020 Cherokee St. [1965]
2120 N. 14th St. [1965] 3518 S. Broadway [1960] 3127 N. Newstead [1965]

FULL GOSPEL DELIVERANCE CHURCH pre 1970
3107 Chippewa St. [1970]

FULL GOSPEL HALL pre 1935
2400 S. Broadway [1935]

FULL GOSPEL MISSION pre 1915
1206 S. 7th in 1915. 3125 Easton Ave., George L. Elliott, pastor in 1925. 1122 S. 4th St. by 1946. [1946]

FULL GOSPEL PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1965
2731 Lafayette [1965]

FULL GOSPEL TABERNACLE (Church) pre 1940
3500 Cass Ave [1940] 3437 Henrietta [1940] 3858 West Florissant Ave. [1970]

FULL GOSPEL TABERNACLE PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1960
2438 Mc Nair [1960]

FULL GOSPEL TRINITY CHURCH pre 1965
2438 Mc Nair Ave. [1965]

FULL GOSPEL TRINITY TABERNACLE pre 1965
1901 Hebert [1970]

FUNDAMENTAL GOSPEL TABERNACLE pre 1960
2112 Cherokee [1960]

FUNDAMENTAL NON-DENOMINATIONAL CHURCH pre 1970
2415 Union Blvd. [1970]

FYLER PLACE PRESBYTERIAN MISSION [Presbyterian] 1905
Organized in 1905, a branch of Clifton Heights. 6300 Arthur. (aka FYLER PRESBYTERIAN MISSION) [1930]


Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS