ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
E - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

EAST GRAND BOULEVARD PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1876
Organized July 4, 1876, near the Old Water Tower, at East Grand and N. 19th St.. The former SECOND GERMAN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH held their first services in the home of their pastor, Rev. Mr. Aufderheide, at 39th and East Grand Ave. In their second year a small chapel was erected. In 1895 a new building was erected which was in turn replaced by their latest church building in 1907, at 4522 N. 19th & 1524 (1518) E. Grand Blvd. By 1930 [1970]

EAST SIDE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1940
2630 Thomas [1946]

EAST UNION BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
1395 Blackstone Ave. [1970]

EAST UNION MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1952
2811 Gamble [1955]

EASTERN STAR BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) 1916
2758 Clark Ave. in 1920. 36 S. Leonard by 1925, Rev. J. H. Smith, pastor. 1428 N. Garrison by 1935 & 3117 St. Louis Ave. Former home of Grace Evangelical Lutheran [2003]

EASTON AVENUE BAPTIST MISSION [Baptist] pre 1895
5633 Easton Ave. [1895]

EBENEZER BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) 1890
Organized 1890, 6117 Minerva in 1915. 6100 Minerva, Rev. W. S. Wooldridge, pastor in 1925. 6157 Minerva by 1929. 4460 Cottage in 1952? [1955]

EBENEZER CHAPEL [Methodist] 1845-1862
Organized by Rev. Weed at Washington Ave. between 7th and 8th Sts. In 1845. Their first pastor was Rev. J. A. Crandall. Continued until the formation of Union Church. Colored members met at various locations until 1873, when the Salem German Methodist Church was purchased on Wash St. at 10th, and became known as WESLEY CHAPEL. EBENEZER CHAPEL was disbanded in 1861 because of the northern sympathy of its members in a denomination that was predominately pro-southern. It was re-organized as UNION METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH in 1862 at 11th and Locust. This was sold in 1882 when the UNION CHURCH moved westward to Lucas and Garrison. [1862]

EBENEZER DEUTSCHE EVANGELISCHE KIRCHE
See EBENEZER GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH

EBENEZER (Evangelical) LUTHERAN CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran] (German) 1869
Ebenezer Lutheran Church was an offshoot of Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church, founded May 16, 1869, in the Baden area. Initially worshipped in a log house at what is now the SE corner of McLaran Avenue and Riverview Boulevard (originally Tracy Road). By 1871 a brick church was completed at 8419 Church Rd., (between Halls Ferry & Gimblin Sts.) A larger church was built in 1923 at 1001 Theobald and Church Rd. is of Gothic style in Chaldean brick with terra cotta trimmings. [2003]

EBENEZER (German) BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1910
3331 S. 7th St., Rev. Jacob H. Erman, pastor in 1915. 3300 Illinois Ave (at Utah St.) by 1920. [1920]

EBENEZER (German) EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH [Evangelical] 1886-1964
Ebenezer German Evangelical Church, formed on Sept. 20, 1886 by Rev. Carl Fritsch. First located at 1921 Mc Nair Ave., it has been at 2915 Mc Nair, in the Benton Park area, since 1891. The EPIPHANY UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST was formed as a merger of this church and ST. ANDREW CHURCH congregation in 1964. [1964]

EBENEZER METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] (German) pre 1890
2600 Taylor Ave., Rev. William Wilkening, pastor. [1900]

EBENEZER STONE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1955
2013 Franklin Ave. [1955]

ECKFORD CHAPTER BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1930
2358 Adams [1930]

EDEN CHURCH
See EDEN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

EDEN EVANGELICAL CHURCH [ Evangelical] 1890
Organized by Rev. F. W. Esser at 1095 Hamilton and Bartmer Aves. [1920]

EDEN EVANGELISCHE KIRCHE
See EDEN UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST

EDEN GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH
See EDEN UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST

EDEN IMMANUEL (Evangelical & Reformed) CHURCH [Evangelical] 1919
Organized Oct. 20, 1919, 5630 Page Blvd. (at Temple Pl) Rev. Karl L. Schneider, pastor, 1929. Now home to Christ’s Southern Mission [1960]

EDEN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1848
Founded March 5, 1848 under the name of the GERMAN EAST ST. LOUIS MISSION. Their first services were held in the Mound Presbyterian Church (Broadway & Mound Sts.) Their first church was dedicated July 23,1848 at St. Louis and Montgomery. In 1852 a new site was purchased at 13th and Benton, which was destroyed by fire in 1854, and in turn rebuilt and dedicated June 25,1859. By 1895 they were located at 2601 19th (at Warren), Rev. A. Koeneke, pastor in 1929. The churches present site 5987 Wabada Ave. [1935]

EDEN PRESBYTERIAN CHAPEL pre 1920
6757 Easton Ave. [1920]

EDEN UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST [Church of Christ] pre 1895
8920 Eden. Formerly EDEN EVANGELISCHE KIRCHE or EDEN GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH (Hamilton Ave at Bartmer Ave.), Rev. F. W. Easey, pastor; which later joined the CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH to become EDEN UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST. [2003]

EDIM PENTECOSTAL ASSEMBLY pre 1940
3458 Minnestoa Ave. [1940]

EDMUNDSON ROAD BAPTIST CHURCH
See EUCLID BAPTIST CHURCH

EDWARDSVILLE MISSION
See ASBURY UNITED METHODIST

EIGHTH CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST [Christian Science] 1926
Organized on Feb. 8, 1926 by members of the Fourth Church of Christ, Scientist. A lot was acquired for the new church, the site of a World’s Fair pond, 6221 Alexander Drive. (6200 Wydown & Skinker). First services held on Oct. 21, 1929. [2003]

EIGHTH SPIRITUALIST CHURCH [Organized Spiritualist] pre 1920
4609 N. 26th St., Miss Ella Wheeler, assoc. minister. [1920]

EIGHTH STREET GERMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal German] 1864-1883?

EIGHTH STREET BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1851 (African-American)
Eighth corner of Green, Rev. Mr. White, pastor in 1866. [1866]

EIGHTH STREET CHURCH
See EIGHTH STREET GERMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

EIGHTH STREET COLORED CHURCH
See EIGHTH STREET BAPTIST CHURCH

EIGHTH STREET GERMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] (German) 1864-1883?
Eighth Street German Methodist Episcopal Church organized in 1864 and occupied a brick building on the SW corner of 8th and Soulard (now Lafayette) Streets as late as 1883. [1883?]

EL BETHEL (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] (African-American) pre 1900
638 Athlone Ave. Pastor: George West in 1905 5401 Gilmore by 1989. [2003]

ELEVENTH SPIRITUALIST CHURCH [Organized Spiritualist] pre 1920
1531 S. 9th St., Mrs. Minnie Waters, assoc. minister in 1920. 3302 Park Ave by 1925. [1925]

ELEVENTH STREET (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1940
1313 N. 11th in 1940. 1010 O’Fallon by 1946. 1310 N. 15th St. by 1952. [1970]

ELIJAH’S ROCK MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
3700 Evans Ave. [1970]

ELLEARDSVILLE CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1880
Lambdin Ave near St. Ferinand. Rev. Johnson, pastor [1880]

ELLENDALE CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] 1896-1903
Ellendale Christian Church was organized in 1896 in Ellendale. In 1897 they erected a building at Hewitt (near Lanham). In 1903 the congregation moved to 2640 Oakview Terrace, in Maplewood, and adopted the name of CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF MAPLEWOOD. [1903]

ELLIOT AVE. METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1890
Elliot Ave. (cor. Wash) Rev. F. H. Small, pastor. [1890]

ELMBANK METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] (German) 1885
Organized by German Methodist in 1885, this is one of the oldest Methodist Episcopal churches in north St. Louis. Their first building was erected at Cottage and Taylor Aves., through donation of F. W. & H. F. Niedringhaus. Their first pastor was Rev. Philip Hehner. In 1900 this property was sold and the present church at 4433 Elmbank Ave. was erected. [1940]

ELMWOOD MEMORIAL CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1970
5048 Easton Ave. [1970]

EMANU EL "God Is With Us" [Jewish] (German, Bavarian) (Ashkenazia Orthodox) 1847
Original president was Max Stettheimer, co-founder Meyer Friede. Never had their own synagogue, services were conducted in rented rooms, one of which was on 5th St. between Washington and Green, over livery stable. They never had a rabbi, services were conducted by members of the congregation. Established second Jewish cemetery at Gratiot and Pratte in 1848. Emanu El’s congregation was nearly wiped out by the cholea epidemic of 1849. Merged with B'NAI BRITH to form B'NAI EL [1852].

EMANUEL BIBLE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1970
5316 West Florissant Ave. [1970]

EMANUEL CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran] (German) pre 1885
Morgan (at 15th St.) Rev. G. Wangerin, pastor. Maple Ave. (ne cor. Euclid Ave.) by 1895. [1895]

EMANUEL MISSION [Non-Denominational?] pre 1885
127 Florida [1885]

EMANUEL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] 1922/1941
1315 N. Jefferson Ave. by 1935. 2437 Dickson by 1940. 2735 Thomas St. in 1941. [1955]

EMMANUEL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
6149 Bartmer Ave. [1965]
1385 Goodfellow Blvd [1965-1970]

EMMANUEL BAPTIST CHURCH
See IMMANUEL BAPTIST CHURCH

EMMANUEL CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1960
1405 Biddle [1960]

EMMANUEL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
3302 Pestalozzi St. [1970]

EMMANUEL SPIRITUALIST TEMPLE (Church) [Spiritualist] pre 1940
3022 Lucas Ave. [1965]

EMMANUEL TEMPLE 1925
1201 Armstrong, Rv. Winfrey A. Snellings, pastor [1929]

EMMANUEL TEMPLE A.M.E. ZION CHURCH [A.M.E. Zion] pre 1952
2800 Clark Ave. [1952]

EMMAUS EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH [Evangelical] 1896
Organizaed Nov. 25, 1896. 4347 Chouteau Ave. (ne cor Tower Grove) Rev. Karl Pleger, pastor, 1929 [1970]

EMMAUS (Evangelical) LUTHERAN (Rock) CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran] (German) 1894
Emmaus Lutheran Church was established as the JEFFERSON AVENUE MISSION of Trinity Church. Organized as a church on Oct. 14, 1894 by Rev. Dr. Richard Kretzschmar, their pastor for the first 49 years. A chapel was built about this time at 2300 S. Jefferson, but destroyed in 1896 tornado. The present church was dedicated May 8, 1902 at 2239 S. Jefferson (at Armand Place). [2003]

EMMAUS EVANGELISCHE LUTHERISCHE KIRCHE
See EMMAUS LUTHERAN CHURCH

ENGLISH LUTHERAN CHURCH OF OUR REDEEMER
See OUR REDEEMER EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH

EPESIAN BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
3220 N. Newstead [1960]

EPHATA MISSION FOR THE DEAF
See EPHPHATHA MISSION TO THE DEAF

EPHESIAN MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1940
4341 Maffitt Ave. by 1940. 3250 N. Newstead by 1965 [1989]

EPHESUS SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH [7th Day Adventist] pre1940
1926 Whittier in 1940.1900 Whittier St. by 1946. [1946]

EPHESUS SEVENTH DAY CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] pre 1946
1926 N. Whittier Ave. in 1946. 1900 Whittier by 1955. [1970]

EPHPHATHA MISSION TO THE DEAF [Episcopal] 1923-1951
Locust & Garrison, Rev. J. H. Cloud in 1925. Unorganized mission for deaf African Americans, they worshipped at All Saint’s Church. Closed in 1951. [1951]

EPIHANY EPISCOPAL (Mission) CHURCH [Episcopal] 1899
Organized by St. Mark;s Memorial. Church built in 1900 at 4249 Gibson Ave. (cor Boyle Ave.). Transferred to care of City Missioner in 1906 and to St. Peter’s Church in 1910. New building was constructed in 1917 but the mission closed in 1926. [1926]

EPIPHANY LUTHERAN CHURCH [Lutheran] 1946
5924 Morgan Ford Rd. in 1946. 4045 Holly Hills Blvd. By 1952. [2003]

EPIPHANY MISSION [Episcopal] 1891-1899
Founded by members of Cathedral Chapter in 1891. They worshipped in a variety of rented spaces – Masonic Hall at Chouteau and Manchester, and in private home. In 1893 they met at Foerstell’s Hall, Clayton and 43rd. Moved to 1401 Tower Grove at Vista in 1896. Closed in 1899. [1899]

EPIPHANY (of Our Lord) CHURCH [Catholic] 1911
Organized on February 3, 1911 by Rev. Joseph English, as a mission of St. James, in a storefront at Ivanhoe & Arloe Station. Soon moved to a frame building at the 6700 block of Scanlan (between Ivanhoe & Bradley). First pastor was Rev. John Lynch.Present church was complete and dedicated Sept. 14, 1930, 6596 Smiley Ave. [2003]

EPIPHANY UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST [United Church of Christ] 1964
Formed through the merger of EBENEZER DEUTSCHE EVANGELISCHE KIRCHE and ST. ANDREWS congregations. Building originally home to St. Paul’s German Methodist Church. 2911 Mc Nair [2003]

EPISCOPAL CATHEDRAL
See CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL

EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF THE REDEEMER
See CHURCH OF THE REDEEMER

EPISCOPAL MISSION [Episcopal] pre 1920
8451 Hall’s Ferry Rd. [1920]

EPWORTH CHURCH (African-American) pre 1930
2312 Chouteau Ave. [1930]

EPWORTH METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1872
Epworth Methodist Church began as a small mission on Easton Ave. (west of Grand) A frame chapel was built 1875 at northern corner of Goode Ave. and North Market. Organized as the GOODE AVENUE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH with Rev. R. S. Stubbs as pastor in 1876. New church designed by Hartshorn-Barber R.B. Co., in 1909 at 2801 Warne Ave. (at 4001 Maffitt). Still there in 1964 but known as EPWORTH-WINSOR METHODIST CHURCH after merger of EPWORTH METHODIST & WINSOR METHODIST EPISCOPAL in 1955. Now home to Ashbury United Methodist. 8442 Hall’s Ferry Rd. in 1955. 1525 Orchid by 1965 1984.

EPWORTH MISSION OF ST. PAUL’S METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, South
[Mehtodist Episcopal] pre 1915
5404 St. Louis Ave. [1915]

EPWORTH SETTLEMENT pre 1920
2200 Dickson [1920]

EPWORTH-WINSOR (Memorial United) METHODIST CHURCH
See EPWORTH METHODIST CHURCH

ETERNAL LIGHT MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
3200 _____. 3966 Fairfax Ave. by 1965. [1965]

ETHICAL SOCIETY OF ST. LOUIS 1886
3648 Washington Blvd, first minister Walter Sheldon (1886-1907) Memorial Hall (Locust & 19th) by 1900. Also known as Sheldon Memorial, they moved to 9001Clayton Road in 1964. [2003]

EUCLID AVENUE BAPTIST [Baptist] pre 1905
1260 N. Euclid Ave. (se cor Page Blvd), Rev. Samuel E. Ewing, pastor. [1920]

EUCLID AVENUE CORPS
See SALVATION ARMY

EUCLID BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1920-1961
1341 North Kingshighway Blvd. Organized from a mission church in 1920. They existed until 1961 when they merged with EDMUNDSON BAPTIST CHURCH. Moved to St. Louis County in 1962 and became EDMUNDSON ROAD BAPTIST CHURCH. [1961]

EUCLID CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE [Church of the Nazarene] pre 1925
1231 N. Euclid, Rev. B. L. Patterson [1925]

EVANGEL MISSION pre 1905
200 S 3rd in 1905. 5845 Manchester Ave. [1940]

EVANGEL TEMPLE pre 1960
4366 Lee Ave. [1960]

EVANGELICAL AND REFORMED CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST, South 1834
See CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST

EVANGELICAL & REFORMED CHURCH (United in Christ) [Evangelical] pre 1952
1712 Chouteau Ave. 1720 Chouteau in 1955. [1960]

EVANGELICAL CENTER APOSTOLIC CHURCH OF GOD pre 1970
4372 St. Louis Ave. [1970]

EVANGELICAL CHURCH OF THE REDEEMER [Evangelical] 1910
See REDEEMER EVANGELICAL CHURCH

EVANGELICAL FRIEDENS (Gemeinde) CHURCH [Evangelical] 1858
Organized by Rev. J. M. Kopf at 19th and Newhouse Aves., next to the cemetery at the head of N. Broadway. [1858]

EVANGELICAL GRACE
See GRACE CHURCH EVANGELICAL & REFORMED CHURCH [Evangelical]

EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH OF OUR REDEEMER
See OUR REDEEMER

EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CITY MISSION pre 1920
808 S. 2nd St. [1920]

EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION [Evangelical Lutheran]
pre 1940
Their new church was opened on Jan. 19, 1941 at 4123 Donovan (&Eichelberger) in the St. Louis Hills area. [1940]

EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH OF THE MESSIAH
See MESSIAH LUTHERAN CHURCH

EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN IMMANUEL CHURCH
See IMMANUEL LUTHERAN CHURCH

EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN MISSION [Evangelical Lutheran] pre 1900
4226 Fair Ave. [1900]

EVANGELICAL PROTESTANT CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST
See CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST

EVANGELISCHE ST. PETRI KIRCHE
See ST. PETER’S EVANGELICAL & REFORMED CHURCH

EVANGELISCHE SYNODE [Evangelical] 1905
3550 Morganford Rd. [1905]

EVANGELIST ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Aseembly of God] pre 1960
8404 Halls Ferry Rd. [1965]

EVANGELIST FAITH CHURCH OF GOD pre 1965
3969 Enright Ave. [1965]

EVANGELIST SPIRITUALIST CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1935
1920 Whittier [1935]

EVANGELIST ST. PETRI CHAPELLE
See ST. PETRI CHAPEL (Peter’s) CHURCH

EVANGELISTIC CHURCH pre 1946
3458 Minnesota Ave. [1946]

EVANGELISTIC TRUTH CENTER pre 1955
419 N. Leffingwell Ave. [1955]

EVANS & FRANCIS CHURCH OF CHRIST {Church of Christ] pre 1940
3501 Evans [1940]

EVENING LIGHT MISSION pre 1900
2120 Franklin Ave., Rev. A. Lichtenstein, pastor [1900]

EVENING STAR BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1955
815 N. Beaumont. 2417 Bacon by 1960. [1960]

EVERGREEN pre 1900
1113 Wash., Rev. Robert B. Parks, pastor [1900]

EVERGREEN BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) 1920
930 N. 23rd St., Rev. A. M. Jones, pastor, 1929 [1930]

EVERGREEN MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH pre 1965
3220 Hickory [1970]


Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS