ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
D - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

D'AMATO COURT (E-W). D'Amato in Italian means "the descendant of Amato," or "beloved," so the name means "beloved court," a quite classy promotional name that got its start in the Goodfellow Park subdivision of 1924. (Baden-Riverview)

DAGGETT AVENUE (E-W). For John D. Daggett, mayor of St. Louis in 1841. Laid out in the Fairmount Heights Subdivision of 1868. (The Hill)

DAHLIA AVENUE (E-W). Named for the dahlia flower plant, developed by 18th-century botanist A. Dahl, when it appeared in the Rosa Park Subdivision of 1906 (Oak Hill)

DAKOTA STREET (E W). Dating from the platting of the St. Louis Commons in the 1850s, this street was named for the Dakota Territory and the Dakota Indian Tribe, a western division of the Sioux. (Marquette-Cherokee)

DALE AVENUE (E-W). Known as Valley Road between Manchester and McCausland until 1881, when it was given its present name for the neighborhood topography. The street first appeared in the Mark McCausland Subdivision of 1859. (Oakland)

DALTON AVENUE (N-S). For John D. Dalton in the 1868 subdivision of his estate in the Cooper Tract. (The Hill)

DAMON AVENUE (E-W). The name "Damon" is from the Latin and means "spirit" or "demon." A fairly famous person in St. Louis history was Father Francis Dahmen, a 19th century St. Louis priest who gave his sermons in German. (Mark Twain I-70)

DANIEL BOONE EXPRESSWAY (E-W). Original name of U. S. Highway 40, named in 1952 to honor the American pioneer and explorer from Kentucky who migrated to Missouri about 1800. (Central West End) (Downtown)

DARBY AVENUE (N-S). Named for former mayor of St. Louis, John E. Darby, who served for four terms in the 1830s and 1840s. Appeared in the 1919 Homesites subdivision. (Arlington)

DAVIS STREET (E W). Honors John Davis, an early merchant and prominent citizen of Carondelet in the 1850s. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

DAVISON AVENUE (N-S). Originated in the 1892 subdivision of Elmwood Park. The English name, Davison, is "the son of Davy or Davie, pet forms of David (commander; beloved; friend)." (Walnut Park)

DAYTON STREET (E-W). In the Stoddard Addition of 1851, it honors Bernard B. Dayton, an associate developer of the Union Addition of 1850. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

DE BALIVIERE AVENUE (N-S). The daughters of James W. Kingsbury paid tribute to Madame De Baliviere, the mother-superior of a convent in Paris which they had attended earlier when they laid out this street in his Kingsbury Place Subdivision of 1873. (Kingsbury) (Central West End)

DE KALB STREET (N S). Pays homage to Baron Johann De Kalb (l72ll780), a French Army general (German by birth) who fought for the American patriots during the Revolutionary War. He was killed in a battle at Camden, South Carolina. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Soulard)

DE MENIL PLACE. See
DeMENIL PLACE.

DE TONTY STREET (E-W). For Henri de Tonty, the Italian-born lieutenant of Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de la Salle, the Frenchman who explored the Mississsippi Valley in the late-17th century. Among the Indians of the Valley, De Tonty was known as "Iron Hand" because his right hand, blown off in battle, had been replaced with one made of metal. (Shaw)

DECATUR DRIVE (N-S). In the 1955 Carondelet Gardens Number Five Subdivision, this street honors Stephen Decatur (1779-1820), American naval hero who first rose to fame in 1804 in the Tripolitan War. (Morganford)

DEER LAKE DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park named for Deer Lake, an early site for a deer paddock which no longer exists. (Kingsbury)

DEER STREET (N-S). Named as the reminder of an old deer trail. Until 1881 it was known as Clay Avenue. (Grand Prairie)

DEGIVERVILLE AVENUE (E-W). Originated in the 1873 subdivision of the estate of James W. Kingsbury, where it was named in honor of Armond Francois Robert, Count de Giverville, husband of Mary Virginia Kingsbury. Between Union and De Baliviere, this street carried the name of De Giverville until 1910, when it was renamed Berlin, which became Pershing Avenue in 1918. West of De Baliviere, the name of De Giverville was given to a new curving street which followed the north bank of the Wabash Railroad right-of-way to Delmar. It was platted in the Washington Heights First Addition of 1909. (Kingsbury)

DEKALB STREET - See DE KALB STREET.

DEL MONTE COURT (N-S). Recognized the adjacent Delmonte Theatre and apartments when laid out in the private Delmonte Subdivision of 1920. (Central West End)

DELMAR BOULEVARD (E-W). A coined name combining the first three letters of Delaware and Maryland, those being the home states of the owners of two abutting tracts of land along the street. The section of Delmar between the wharf and Grand Boulevard was known as Morgan Street until it received its present name in 1933. The section west of Taylor in the Central West End was known as Olive Street or the Central Plank Road until 1881. (Cabanne) (Central West End) (Downtown) (Grand Prairie) (Kingsbury) (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

DELOR STREET (E W). Honors Clement Delor deTreget, who in 1767 founded the settlement which later became Carondelet. Until 1893, a section of Delor was called Termination Street because it marked the northern limit of the Carondelet Commons. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

DeMENIL PLACE (N S). This one block long segment of South Thirteenth Street was renamed in the 1970s to honor Dr. Alexander N. DeMenil, a Confederate sympathizer whose ante bellum mansion on this street is a famous St. Louis landmark. (Benton Park)

DEMPSEY AVENUE (E-W). Named in the Columbia-Macklind Heights Subdivision of 1922 to honor Father Timothy Dempsey, pastor of St. Patrick's Church and prominent in Catholic charitable work. (The Hill)

DES PERES AVENUE (N-S). Platted in the 1909 Washington Heights First Addition, it did not become a street until after the completion of the River des Peres Drainage Work in 1932, when it was made into a street running atop the buried sewer from Delmar to Lindell. Its name derives from the settlement of Des Peres Catholic priests that at one time sat directly across the Mississippi River near the mouth of this river. (Kingsbury)

DESOTO AVENUE (E-W). Honored Hernando De Soto (1500-1542), the Spanish explorer who discovered the Mississippi River, in the College Hill subdivision of 1859. It was known as Hall Avenue between the wharf and Broadway until 1881. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

DESTREHAN STREET (E-W). In Destrehan's Addition of 1858, it was named for Nicholas A. Destrehan, developer of this subdivision and one of the founders of the town of Bremen. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

DETONTY STREET - See
DE TONTY STREET.

DEVLIN AVENUE (N-S). Carried no title until 1882 when it was designated for the developer of the 1875 Devlin Subdivision. Of Irish origin, a Devlin is the "descendant of the plasterer kr dahber" or "one who came from Dublin (black pool)." (Oakland)

DEVOLSEY STREET (N S). Platted in the Devolsey Addition of l848, along four blocks of Gravois Road. The property originally was owned by Pierre Francois Devolsey, an early French landowner. (Benton Park)

DEVONSHIRE AVENUE (E-W). Named for the county of Devonshire, England, home of Everard (sic) Horton, owner of the tract developed as the Southampton Addition in 1896. (Southwest)

DEWEY AVENUE (N-S). Honored Admiral George Dewey (1836-1917), the hero of the battle of Manila Bay in the Spanish-American War, in the 1905 Murphy Estate Subdivision. Between Eichelberger and Meramec streets, it was know as Fifteenth Street until 1911. (Morganford) (Oak Hill)

DEXTER STREET (E-W). Showed up in Leroy Kingsland's subdivision of 1865. Dexter is of English origin (it was a term used to designate a cloth dyer). (Midtown)

DIANTHAN LANE (N-S). Apparently a modern coined name, originating either from the ancient Roman goddess, Diana, or from the plant genus Dianthus, of the pink family. Laid out in the Hillcrest Park subdivision of 1951. (Morganford)

DICK GREGORY PLACE (N-S). Named for civil rights activist and black comedian Dick Gregory in 1976. Formerly called Wagoner Place for Jewett Wagoner, St. Louis pickle, sauce and vinegar manufacturer who opened this street in 1891. (Grand Prairie)

DICKSON STREET (E-W). For Charles K. Dickson, an associate developer of the 1851 Stoddard Addition. It was known as Bates Street from the wharf to Broadway to 1881. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

DIDIER ROAD (E-W). Platted in the 1936 subdivision of City Block 3298, it commemorates the Didier family, early French landowners in the vicinity of Carondelet. (Morganford)

DISCHINGER COURT (N-S). An Americanized ending to the German name of "Disch," which means "one who made cabinets," or "a joiner." Originated in the 1940 Riverview Terrace subdivision. (Baden-Riverview)

DIVISION STREET (E-W) Marks the division between the properties of the Carr and Biddle families in the 1858 subdivision by Picott and Biddle. It still exists between Seventeenth and Eighteenth. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

DOCK STREET (E-W). In the 1843 subdivision of Blocks A, B, and C of the William Christy Heris Addition, it was named for the adjacent site of floating docks for steamboat construction. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

DODDRIDGE STREET (E-W). When Thomas Hornsby laid out his 1868 addition to Baden, he named this street for his brother, Doddridge Hornsby. (Baden-Riverview)

DODIER STREET (E-W). Appearing in the East Union Addition of 1850, it venerated the widow of Auguste Dodier, a pioneer French householder and slave owner in 1770. She owned the strip from Lot Number 35 in the St. Louis Common Field. In the Fairground neighborhood, it was Jasmine Street between Leffingwell and Glasgow until 1881 and was University Street from Glasgow to Grand until 1882. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

DOLAN PLACE (E-W). Named in 1951 for the Dolan Real Estate Company. Previously known as Dillenberger Avenue after it was platted in the Dillenberger Place Subdivision of 1911. (Oakland)

DOLMAN STREET (N S). First laid out as a street in the subdivision of Lot 2 of the St. Louis Commons by Louis La Beaume and John Withnell in l845. It was named for John A. Dolman of the real estate firm of Dolman & Obear. (Soulard)

DONNELL AVENUE (E-W). In the 1947 Riverview Terrace First Addition, it honored Missouri governor Forrest C. Donnell (1941-45) who had left office only two years earlier. (Baden-Riverview)

DONOVAN AVENUE (N-S). Honors Daniel H. Donovan of the Donovan and Son Real Estate Company during the post-Civil War period. (Southwest)

DONOVAN PLACE (E-W). Materialized in the 1900 private subdivision of the same name. This is an Irish name, originating as the "grandson of Donndubham (born Dubhan)" or the "grandson of Donndamhan (little brown poet)". (Central West End)

DORCAS STREET (E W). Named for Dorcas Bent Carr, wife of William C. Carr, an early St. Louis merchant. Until l88l the section of Dorcas Street between Tenth Street and Broadway was known as Lancaster. (Soulard)

DOUGLASS STREET (E-W). A tribute to Frederick Douglass (1817-1895), American abolitionist and editor, in the Lewis Bissell's Fourth Addition of 1872. Douglass was made secretary of the Santo Domingo Commission the year before this subdivision was laid out. Born of a black mother and a white father, Douglass took his name from Sir Walter Scott's hero in Lady of the Lake after he escaped from slavery and fled north. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

DOVER PLACE and DOVER STREET (E-W). Originating in the old city of Carondelet and perpetuated in the Dover Place subdivision of 1894. The street started its life titled D Street in the 1832 plat of Carondelet; it was named Dover when the city of Carondelet adopted names for streets in 1854. The name harkens to Dover, capital of Delaware, the home state of Edward and Frederick Bates, both ardent supporters of public schools. (Carondelet) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Morganford)

DOWLING PLACE (N-S). In the area of the subdivision of the Henry Gimblin estate of 1854, it was named later to honor Edward Dowling, a pioneer Baden settler. (Baden-Riverview)

DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING DRIVE (E-W). Named in 1972 to honor the assassinated civil rights leader who won a Nobel Prize in 1968 for his work for black equality. First named North "I" Street in 1821, it was designated Cherry Street in 1826. It was later changed to Franklin Avenue as a tribute to the Revolutionary War publisher, philosopher and diplomat. (Downtown) (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

DRESDEN AVENUE (N-S). A tribute to the city of Dresden, Germany, in the 1906 Humboldt Heights Subdivision. (Morganford) (Oak Hill)

DRESSELL AVENUE (N-S). Emerged in the Homesites subdivision of 1919. Dressel originated as an English name for a person who finished textile fabrics so they had a nap or smooth edge. (Arlington)

DRURY LANE (N-S). Named for a famous London street, locale of the famed seventeenth-century Drury Lane Theater, as part of the Inglesyde subdivision of 1890. (Baden-Riverview) (Oakland) (Walnut Park)

DRYDEN AVENUE & COURT (N-S). In the Scanlon Place subdivision of 1893, it was known as Scanlon Place from Kossuth to Margaretta Avenue until 1931, when it was re-named for Ewing R. Dryden, president of the Dryden-Dyer Construction Company. (Fairground)

DUCHOUQUETTE STREET. (Ward 7, Precinct 6.) Named for John B. Duchouquette, a large landholder in early St. Louis (he owned what later became the Lesperance, Picotte, Papin, and Duchouquette additions).

DUGAN AVENUE (E-W). For Thomas A. Dugan, president of Dugan, Walfort and Dugan, Inc., manufacturers' agents, in the 1923 subdivision of Submoor. (The Hill)

DUKE STREET (E-W). An honor for the family of Mrs. Sara Christy Duke, a member of the founding family of the fire clay products company. The name originated in the Ellenwood Park Second Addition of 1910. (Oak Hill)

DUMBARTON CIRCLE DRIVE (E-W). Dumbarton is a city in Scotland (Dumbarton Oaks is a mansion in Washington, D.C., where FDR, Churchill, and Stalin met in 1944 to plan the post-war world). (Academy-Sherman)

DUNCAN AVENUE (E-W). Had its origin in Peter Lindell's Second Addition of 1865, who named it to honor James Duncan, a partner in Barr's Dry Goods Company. This is an Irish and Scottish name meaning "descendant of Donnchad (brown warrior)." It was known as Bates Avenue from Vandeventer to Euclid until 1881. (Central West End)

DUNN ROAD (E-W). Named for George T. Dunn, state senator from the 11th District 1892-1896. (Riverview)

DUNNICA STREET (E W). So named in the 1875 subdivision of the estate of Judge James Dunnica, a wealthy land owner and steamboat captain. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill)

DURANT AVENUE (N-S). Tribute to William C. Durant, founder of the General Motors Corporation, in the Durant Park subdivision of 1920. (Walnut Park)

DYSON AVENUE (E-W). The only street platted in the 1932 private subdivision of Dyson Place. An English name meaning "the son of Dy or Dye, pet forms of Dionysus (Grecian god of wine; judge of men)." (Oakland)

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS