ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
C - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

C.O. WORKERS CHRISTIAN SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1935
2714 Clark Ave. [1940]

CABANNE (United) METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal, South] 1896
Now known as CABANNE UNITED METHODIST. This church began on Nov. 22, 1896, when the congregation first met in a hall at Goodfellow & Vernon Aves. Organized by J. D. Bincil, their first pastor was Richard Wilkinson. Shortly thereafter the congregation moved into a hall in the Arcade Bldg at Vernon & Arcade Aves., where they stayed until 1902. The site of the present church, 5760 Bartmer Ave. (se cor Goodfellow Ave.), was acquired in 1901 and first services were held Nov. 2, 1902. In the 1960s the all-white congregation integrated and merged with the METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH and the SOUTH CENTRAL JURISDICTIONAL to form the UNITED METHODIST CHURCH at 5760 Bartmer Ave. (at Goodfellow Blvd.) [2003]

CALVARY ASSEMBLY CHURCH OF GOD pre 1970
2051 Park Ave. [1970]

CALVARY BAPTIST
See MT. CALVARY BAPTIST

CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1912
Organized July 31,1912. 2611 Davison Ave., Rev. G. W. Wise in 1915. 4952 Emerson Ave., Rev. N. E. Aregood, pastor by 1920. 4056 Emerson, Rev. John F. Reagan, pastor by 1930. 2822 Easton by 1965. [1966]

CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) 1916
First church, at 2625 Morgan by 1929. Later 2625 Delmar (Morgan) Blvd, was destroyed by fire in 1939.Located at 2822 Easton by 1940, before they moved in 1963? to 8850 Jennings Rd. [1970]

CALVARY BAPTIST TABERNACLE [Baptist] pre 1970
3200 Cherokee St. [1970]

CALVARY CHURCH [Episcopal] 1859-1867
Organized in 1859 at the southwest corner of 4th and Washington. Admitted to Convention as a parish and the Cornerstone laid June 1860 at Morgan & 23rd St. Only the foundation was completed, architect George Mitchell. Construction stopped in 1861 the church was abandoned in 1862 and dissolved in 1867. [1867]

CALVARY CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1905
Easton Ave. (at Goodfellow Ave.) Rev. A. L. Pritchett, pastor [1905]

CALVARY CROSS MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] 1958
Formed in 1958, they moved into 3127 California in 1964 from their previous home at 2747 Chippewa (at Iowa.) [1970]

CALVARY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1920
2828 Caroline [1989] 1435 Morgan [1925] 2722 Sheridan [1946-1989]
1239 Morgan, Rev. D. E. Kelly by1920. 2029 O’Fallon [1940] 2000 Wash, Rev. D. E. Kelly
See Mt. CALVARY BAPTIST 1636 Ohio Ave. [1955-1960] [1920]

CALVARY PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1970
2731 Lafayette Ave. [1970]

CALVARY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] pre 1875
Nw cor. Carr & 16th. Rev. William Perteus, pastor [1875]

CALVARY TABERNACLE pre 1946
3225 Park Ave. [1946]

CALVARY TEMPLE pre 1955.
1175 Hamilton Blvd. In 1955. 8651 Watson Rd. by 1965. [1965]

CALVARY TRINITY ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1965
3945 N. 25th [1965]

CANAAN (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1952
4168 West Belle Pl. in 1952. 5715 Easton Ave. by 1965. [1965]

CANAANS A.M.E. CHURCH [A.M.E.] pre 1910
511 S. Ewing Ave. [1910]

CAROLINE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1965
3100 Caroline Ave. [1970]

CAROLINE (Evangelical) MISSION [Evangelical, United Church of Christ] 1913
1823 Hickory. Organized Apr. 6, 1913, Rev. Henry J. Damm, pastor 1929. 2828 Caroline. (aka CAROLINE MISSION OF THE EVANGELICAL CHURCH) [1989]

CARONDELET A. M. E. CHURCH [African Methodist Episcopal] 1880
With a building built in 1869 as a market by the city of Carondelet (ne cor. 2nd & Union). Moved to Broadway (near Bates) by 1885. Also known as the QUINN CHAPEL. Rev. Albert Jump, pastor. [1885]

 CARONDELET BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1867
In 1864, Baptist in Carondelet established a mission Sunday school to which the Rev. John Finkburg occasionally preached. Organized as the FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF CARONDELET. Church was organized on Nov. 23, 1867 in the home of Clinton S. Barrett at 2nd and Taylor Sts. (now Pennsylvania & Roberts Ave.) under the direction of Dr. Adiel Sherwood. Site was provided by Morey T. Andrews and a brick chapel was erected and opened July 4, 1872 at 5th and Taylor Streets in Carondelet. In 1874 a colony called the WELSH MISSION OF SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH was formed by some members of the First Church. This mission flourished for two years and then it's members returned to the parent church. By 1905 located at 7317 Virginia Ave. In 1928 it was decided to erect a larger church. Currently at 7309 Virginia Ave. (at Roberts Ave.) [2003]

CARONDELET CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] 1895-1907
Organized June 1895 at the home of Miss Martha Skinner, 510 Kansas Street. The congregation rented the old Temperance Hall (at Minnesota and Robert Avenues) where they organized as the Carondelet Christian Church in 1895, under the leadership of Rev. Mr. Lewis. They rented the former German Methodist Church at Pennsylvania and Upton in 1897. The former high school building at 6801 Virginia was purchased for a new church in 1901. Named was changed to DOVER PLACE CHRISTIAN CHURCH in 1907. [1907]

CARONDELET EVANGELICAL & REFORMED CHURCH
See CARONDELET (German) EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH

CARONDELET (German) EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH [Evangelical] (German) 1869-1957
The Carondelet German Evangelical Church was organized by the DEUTSCHE EVANGELISCHE GEMEINDE IN SÜD ST. LOUIS (GERMAN EVANGELICAL CONGREGATION OF SOUTH ST. LOUIS) and founded by Rev. John Will, in Nov. 14, 1869, to serve German-speaking settlers in Carondelet. Present church building cornerstone was laid in 1870 with construction completed in 1871. Denominational name change took place in 1939 with the congregation's adoption of the name Evangelical and Reformed. In 1957, following the consolidation of the CONGREGATIONAL CHRISTIAN CHURCH with the CARONDELET (German) EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH, it was renamed CARONDELET UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST. 7423 Michigan Ave. (at Koeln) by 1930. [2003]

CARONDELET GERMAN METHODIST
See CARONDELET METHODIST CHURCH

CARONDELET HEIGHTS MISSION pre 1915
7113 Eugene [1915]

CARONDELET-MARKHAM MEMORIAL PREBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1958
6166 Michigan Ave (at Bowen St.) Originally CARONDELET PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH and MARKHAM MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN which merged in 1958. [2003]

CARONDELET METHODIST CHURCH [ Methodist] 1890
First home in a frame church building previously used by a Methodist Episcopal Church at 7400 Pennsylvania Ave. Moved in 1896 to 7100 Virginia Ave. (at Koehn). Currently at 426 Blow St. [1915]

CARONDELET METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SOUTH [Methodist] 1857-1920
6701 Virginia Ave. (at Haven) They built their first church at this site on May 17, 1857, Pastor O. H. Duggins. 7100 Virginia Ave by 1900. A new building was erected in 1904, at 6700 Virginia Ave. (at Haven) which became HAVEN STREET METHODIST in 1920, and in 1941 MELLOW MEMORIAL METHODIST. [1920]

CARONDELET MISSION [Baptist] pre 1875
Se cor. Franklin & Van Buren. Rev. Dr. Luther, pastor [1875]

CARONDELET PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1965
7427 Virginia Ave. [1970]

CARONDELET PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1850-1958
Carondelet Presbyterian Church was organized in 1850 by Henry T. Blow and Dr. Ashdel Webster, in a log cabin located at 6116 Michigan Avenue (at Bowen Street) in Carondelet. Rev. Hiram Goodrich was their first pastor. The congregation erected a frame church at Main St. (between Kansas and Illinois Sts.) in 1852 on a site provided by August A. Blumenthal. . The 1863 brick church (ne cor. 4th & Market) is one of a few Civil War era churches remaining in the city. The present stone church was built next to the older structure in 1896. Founders of Carondelet Presbyterian included Henry T. Blow, a Carondelet industrialist and U.S. Congressman as well as his daughter, Susan Blow, famous for organizing public school kindergarten. Located at 231 E. Davis by 1955 and 1427 Virginia by 1965. In 1958 the congregation merged with MARKHAM MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH and the name became CARONDELET-MARKHAM MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. The HOPE MISSION CHAPEL at 3rd and Taylor Streets in Carondelet was an offshoot of this church around 1883. [1965]

CARONDELET UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
See CARONDELET (German) EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH

CARR PLACE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1870?
20th & Wash. Rev. G. W. Birch, pastor. [1870]

CARTER AVE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1940
3621 Carter Ave. [1940]

CARTER C.M.E. CHURCH
See CARTER INSTITUTIONAL METHODIST CHURCH

CARTER INSTITUTIONAL METHODIST CHURCH [Christian Methodist Episcopal] pre 1955
3305 Hickory [1965]

CASS AVENUE MISSION [Baptist] pre 1895
127 Cass Ave. [1895]

CASS STREET MISSION [Episcopal] 1903
See HOLY CROSS MISSION

CATHOLIC APOSTOLIC CHURCH HOLY EUCHARIST pre 1900
Market (se cor 9th) F. A. Albrecht, in charge in 1900. 6266 Wilson by 1925 [1930]

CATHEDRAL MISSION pre 1905
4222 N. Grand Ave. [1905]

CATHEDRAL OF ST. LOUIS
See ST. LOUIS (OLD CATHEDRAL)

CELESTALS TEMPLE pre 1965
2406 Belle Glade Ave. [1965]

CENTENARY METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] (African-American) pre 1910
1001 Elliott Ave. [1910]

 CENTENARY (United) METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH (South) [Methodist] 1839
The second Methodist church organized in St. Louis, Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized in 1839 at the SW corner of 5th and Pine in a frame building, by women of the First Methodist Church. Damaged by fire on June 11, 1857. Originally known as FOURTH METHODIST CHURCH, they have been at 205 N. 16th and Pine since 1870, dedicated May 28, 1871. First pastor was Rev. J. H. Linn (1842-44), of Kentucky, whom up to this time had been pastor of Fourth Street Church.. In 1900, when most downtown churches had moved west, Centenary made a long-term commitment to remain in the city. They kept Southern in their name from 1843-1939. Church was renovated in 1958. Present address is referred to as 55 Plaza Square (16th & Olive), and the church is called the CENTENARY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH. Received St. Louis Landmark status n 1971. [2003]

CENTENNIAL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1925
2816 Easton Ave. [1925]

CENTENNIAL CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Disciples of Christ] (African-American) 1904
4299 Kennerly Ave. by 1915. 4400 Lucky (at Newstead) by 1925. Rev. Wm. Alpin, pastor, 1929. 4301 Kennerly in 1935. Current location purchased in 1945 from First Christian Church at 4950 Fountain Ave. (at Aubert St.) [2003]

CENTENNIAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] (African-American) pre 1900
Elliot Ave. (nw cor Wash) Rev. J. Will Jackson, pastor. [1900]

CENTER BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1925
1626 N. 10th, Rev. J. F. Plainfield [1925]

CENTRAL ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1952
2421 S. 10th in 1952. 1216-18 Sidney by 1965. [1970]

CENTRAL BAPTIST CHURCH 1846 [Baptist] (African-American)
Organized in March 1846, the congregation held its first meeting at ‘Liberty Hall’ (3rd and Franklin Sts.) and was formally constituted Oct. 1847. In 1851 the congregation purchased a lot at 8th and Green (Locust) and built its first church. They remained there till 1885 when they moved to 23rd and Morgan (Delmar). In 1913 they moved into the former Pilgrim Congregational Church at 2843 Washington (at Ewing). Destroyed by fire in March 1971 a new building was erected on the same site. (aka SECOND AFRICAN BAPTIST CHURCH [2003]

CENTRAL CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] 1875-1904
Central Christian Church first met in a hall at 14th and St. Charles before moving in 1875 to a building at the NE corner of 23rd and Washington in 1875. Formed by members of the First Christian Church (due to dissension over an organ). After the 23rd St. property was sold in 1879, the church met in various halls until 1887 when it dedicated a new structure at 3619 Finney Ave. (near Grand). This eventually became known as the UNION AVENUE CHRISTIAN CHURCH in 1904? After merger with Mt. CABANNE. 1320 Monroe by 1952. [1970]

CENTRAL CHURCH [Assembly of God]
See CENTRAL ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH

CENTRAL CHURCH [Congregational] pre 1895
Newstead Ave. (at Delmar Blvd) Rev. C. S. Sargent, pastor in 1900. 4506 Westminster Place by 1920 [1920]

CENTRAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1869-1899
Organized by A. C. George, a pastor of Union Church, in 1869 in a hall at 18th & Wash Streets. Originally called SECOND UNION (at 6th Street north of Franklin). In 1871, a new building was constructed at 23rd and Morgan. Sold pre-1899 to pay debt incurred by construction. [1899]

CENTRAL CHURCH [Seventh Day Adventist] 1886
Organized in 1886 in the home of Mrs. Rapp, though they soon rented a storefront were Elder Heycock became their first minister. In 1859 Mrs. Keller bought the congregation a church at 610 N. Newstead Ave. (at Delmar), Elder Louis T. Trubey, pastor. In 1935 the Adventists bought the Christian Science Chapel building at 4234 Washington. In 1945 they purchased the St. Peter’s Episcopal Church building at 3692 Spring (at Lindell). Destroyed by a mysterious fire in Oct. 1954, they held services at Pilgrim Church, 826 Union Blvd. until they built their new church at 5 N. Skinker & Wydown in 1958. [2003]

CENTRAL CHURCH OF CHRIST [Church of Christ] 1951
First location was 1737 N. Euclid Ave., they moved in Oct. 1951 to 305 S. Skinker Blvd. [2003]

CENTRAL CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE [Church of the Nazarene] pre 1915
3951 Easton Ave. in 1915. 1211 S. Newstead by 1946. [1964]

CENTRAL EVANGELICAL CHURCH [Evangelical] pre 1890
Locust (nw cor. 11th) Rev. William Johnson, pastor. [1890]

CENTRAL METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH
See CENTRAL CHURCH

CENTRAL MISSION pre 1910
816 N. 11th, Rev. J. M. Stultz [1910]

CENTRAL MISSION [Presbyterian] pre 1890
8th (cor. Walnut) [1890]

CENTRAL PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1960
1437 S. Vandeventer Ave. [1960]

CENTRAL PENTECOSTAL CHURCH OF GOD 1965-
1004 Tower Grove Ave. [1965]

CENTRAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1844
Founded as a mission enterprise of the Second Presbyterian Church, they began as the FOURTH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH on Apr. 18, 1844 and acquired their present name in 1846 when they met in a small frame building at the southeast corner of 6th and St. Charles Streets. First pastor was Rev. Alexander Van Court, early clergy included Rev. Joseph Templeton, Rev. S. J. P. Anderson, and Rev. Robert G. Brank. In 1849 the congregation moved to their own building at the northwest corner of 8th and Locust where they remained until 1873. At that time they moved into a temporary chapel at the NE corner of Lucas and Garrison. A new church was built at this site in 1876 and was used until 1906 when the congregation moved to 5568 Delmar and Clara. In 1931 they merged wih CLAYTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH and are currently located at the corner of Hanley Road and 7700 Davis Drive in Clayton, Missouri. [2003]

CENTRAL SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH
See CENTRAL CHURCH

CHAMBERS STREET BAPTIST
See CHAMBERS STREET COLORED CHURCH

CHAMBERS STREET (Colored) CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) 1875?
926 Chambers St. (at 10th)W. Brooks, pastor (aka CHAMBERS STREET BAPTIST) [1955]

CHAPEL OF THE HOLY CROSS [Episcopal] 1894-96?
Unorganized mission of St. Andrew’s, on Mc Caffrey Place. Meeting in Ross Cuddy home in 1896. [1896]

CHAPEL OF THE HOLY SAVIOUR [Epsicopal] 1870.
Organized and abandoned (Lafayette Park) in 1870.

CHATHAM GOSPEL CHAPEL 1928
Organized Mar. 28, 1928. 6233 Chatham. Rev. Seth M. Means, pastor [1929]

CHELTENHAM CHURCH [Congregational] 1882
Organized August 20, 1882 in a small frame structure on West Park at Pierce Ave near Cheltenham Ave. (Sublette?) Rev. Horace B. Knight, pastor Their second home was at Sulphur & Way St., dedicated Oct. 7, 1888 and vacated June 9, 1912. Current structure at 6234 Victoria (at Gratiot?, se cor Graham in 1915) dedicated Nov. 17, 1912. (aka MEMORIAL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH) [1935]

CHELTENHAM CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran] (German) pre 1895
1510 Sulphur Ave. [1895]

CHELTENHAM CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST
See SERCOND CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST

CHERUBIN (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1955
4572 Easton Ave. in 1955. 4652 St. Louis by 1965. [2003]

CHESED SHEL EMETH SYNAGOGUE. [Jewish] (Orthodox) 1916
Formed by members of the Chesed Shel Emeth Society. First synagogue at 1260 N. Euclid (at Page) in 1919, new synagogue at North & South Rd. & Gannon Ave., University City, 1952. [1952]

CHEVRAH AHAVAS ACHIM [Jewish] (Eastern Orthodox) 1887
11th & Franklin, Rev. A. M. Goldman. [1887]

CHEVRA KADISHA CONGREGATION [Jewish] pre 1880
7th between Franklin & Wash. T. Gotlieb, pres. Merged into CHEVRAH KADISHA ADAS B’NAI YISRAEL CONGREGATION. [1880]

CHEVRA MISHNAJOTH ANSHEI WOLHYNIA [Jewish] pre 1920
1516 Biddle [1925]

CHEVRAH KADISHA ADAS B’NAI ISRAEL (Yeshurun) CONGREGATION "Holy Society" [Jewish Eastern Orthodox] 1882-1959
924 N. 7th, Rev. Max Lasky, rabbi 1895. Merged with SHIREI THILLIM CONGREGATION in 1904. 5596 Ridge by 1935. Merged with TPHERIS ISRAEL CONGREGATION in 1959 to become TPHERIS ISRAEL-CHEVRAH KADISHA at 6912 Delmar Blvd. Aka ADAS B’NAI YSRAEL[1955]

CHEVRAH KADISHA B’NAI YESHURUN CONGREGATION [Jewish] (Orthodox) pre 1935
4305 Page Blvd. [1935]

CHIESA DIDDIO CHRISTIAN ITALIAN PENTECOSTAL CHURCH
See SECOND GERMAN SWEDENBORGIAN CHURCH

CHIESA ITALIANO pre 1910
2901 Locust (San Carlos Borremeo) [1915]

CHINESE CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF St. Louis 1939?
Held Christmas pageant at Bishop Tuttle Memorial that year. [1939]

CHINESE SUNDAY SCHOOL pre 1890
Locust (nw cor 11th) [1890]

CHIPPEWA BAPTIST MISSION [Baptist] pre 1955
3402 Chippewa [1955]

CHOUTEAU AVENUE METHODIST CHURCH, South
See WESLEY (Society) CHAPEL

CHOUTEAU AVENUE CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1867-1875
The Chouteau Avenue was built in 1867. PARK AVENUE PRESBYTERIAN merged with CHOUTEAU AVENUE in 1868. Members merged into Lafayette Park Church. Chouteau at Beckwith. Rev. J. C. Armstrong, pastor. The Chouteau Avenue Church was dissolved in 1875. Many parishioners joined Lafayette Park Presbyterian Church. [1875] See also LAFAYETTE PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

CHOUTEAU AVENUE MISSION [Presbyterian] pre 1885
2719 Chouteau same as below? [1885]

CHOUTEAU AVENUE PENTECOSTAL MISSION [Pentecostal] pre 1920
2919 Chouteau Ave. [1920]

CHOUTEAU PLACE METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1909
4001 Maffitt Ave. (3821 Warnes Ave.) Rev. H. C. Leonard, pastor in 1915. [1925]

CHRIST CENTER OF SPIRITUAL SCIENCE [Spiritualist] pre 1952
4113a Easton Ave. [1952]

CHRIST CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1925
6008 N. Broadway [1930] 6204A Easton [1930]
2322 Cass Ave. [1935] 1302A Wright, Rev. Hanna Peters [1925]

CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL [Episcopal] 1819
Organized on All Saints’ Day, Nov. 1, 1819, in Colonel Reddick’s store on Main between Walnut and Elm. Members met in a one story frame house at the corner of 2nd and Walnut. Rev Dr. John Ward of Lexington, Kentucky, was the rector of the Episcopal Church at 4th and Washington in 1821. It was disbanded in 1821 and reorganized in 1825, meeting in a Baptist church until its own building was completed the corner of 3rd and Chestnut 1829. Also known as CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, the first Parochial Register was begun by Rev. William Chaderton in September, 1832. The congregation occupied a larger building at 5th and Chestnut in 1839 (where the Laclede Hotel was standing in 1875). Rev. Montgomery Schuyler was an early longtime pastor. Rev Cicero Stephens Hawks arrived in 1843 to be rector, and the next year became bishop. The cornerstone was laid on April 22, 1860, for the present Gothic structure at 316 13th St (at Locust), but financial problems and the onset of the Civil War delayed completion. In 1867, the first services were held at the new church, designed by Leopold Eidlitz, which officially became a Cathedral in 1888. Bofinger Chapel built in 1895 to replace the original chapel which was demolished when Schuyler Hall was built. The tower was added in 1910 but the final addition of the tower and porch were not completed until 1910/12. Bishop Tuttle Memorial (Jamison & Spearl, architects) was added in1926. Chapel remodeled by Dunn and Stinson, architects, in 1962. 320 North Thirteenth Street. Designated City Landmark June 1966, National Historic Landmark Oct. 12, 1994. [2003]

 CHRIST CHURCH CHAPEL [Episcopal] 1856-1857
Mission of Christ Church established to provide services for those who couldn’t be accomodated in the old church – Engine house on Market, between 14th and 15th. [1857]

CHRIST CHURCH OF HOLINESS pre 1930
4042 Cook Ave. [1930]

CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
See CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL

CHRIST EVANGELICAL CHURCH [Evangelical] (German) 1890
Organized July 6, 1890, Christ Evangelical Church was dedicated in early 1891 as a sister congregation to St. Mark's Evangelical Church at Jefferson and Potomac, originally under name DEUTSCHES EVANGELISCHE CHRISTUS KIRCHE. The congregation moved to 7117 Manchester (at Blendon Pl) by 1900 and to 7121 Manchester in 1921. Rev. Carl P. Fritsch, pastor, 1929. [1929]

CHRIST (Evangelical) LUTHERAN CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran, MO Synod] (German) pre 1875
Organized Oct. 24, 1876 by Rev, H, Sauer, as the sixth Lutheran church in St. Louis and the daughter church of Immanuel Lutheran. Sw cor. Wilkerson Ave. & Bass. Rev. E. Beck, pastor. . Present church was erected at 3504 Caroline by 1885 (at Theresa Ave.). They discontinued German services in 1929. [2003]

CHRIST HOLINESS [Church of Christ, Holiness) pre 1920
11 S. Ewing Ave. by 1920. 2706 Lawton Blvd by 1925 [1929]

CHRIST HOLINESS TEMPLE (of the UHC of America, Inc.) [Holiness] pre 1946
4219 Easton Ave. [1970]

CHRIST IN THE CITY CHURCH [Non-Denominational in 1947] [Evangelical & Reformed after 1952]
Organized in a storefront at 902 Tyler in 1947, and affiliated with Fellowship Center Settlement House, they became Evangelical and Reformed in June 1952. Also known as FELLOWSHIP CENTER CHURCH, they moved to 1121 N. 9th (at Biddle) in 1954. Their first pastor was Rev. Louis V. Huber. [1954]

CHRIST LUTHERAN CHURCH
See CHRIST (Evangelical Luheran) CHURCH

CHRIST MEMORIAL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
2400 Bacon Ave. Currently at 206 Emerling. [2003]

CHRIST METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] 1949
Formerly known as HARLEM PLACE METHODIST CHURCH. The new church was built at 6501 Pernod Ave. (at Watson) in 1949. 3545 Watson Rd. by 1952. Merged with UNION METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH in 1952, and became known as UNION UNITED METHODIST CHURCH. [1952]

CHRIST MIRACLE HEALING TEMPLE pre 1965
5007½ Lotus Ave. [1965]

CHRIST MISSION CHURCH pre 1965
3914 Fairfax [1965]

CHRIST PILGRIM REST MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
1341 N. Kingshighway [2003]

CHRIST PILGRIM TEMPLE pre 1970
5321 Wabada ave. [1970]

CHRIST SOUTHERN MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
5630 Page Blvd. In 1965. [2003]

CHRIST SPIRITUAL MISSION [Spiritualist] pre 1946
4806 Page Blvd. [1946]

CHRIST SPIRITUAL PRIESTHOOD HOUSE OF PRAYER [Spiritualist] pre 1965
1226 N. Vandeventer Ave. [1965]

CHRIST SPIRITUAL ROCK TABERNACLE [Spiritualist] pre 1952
2703 N. Jefferson Ave. [1952]

CHRIST TABERNACLE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
5474 Wabada Ave. [1965]

CHRIST TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD pre 1970
2908 Arlington Ave. [1970]

CHRIST UNITY TEMPLE pre 1970
1302 Hodiamont Ave. [1970]

CHRIST WAY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
3501 Easton [1965]

CHRISTAL SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1965
2905 Delmar Blvd. [1965]

CHRISTIAN AND MISSIONARY ALLIANCE pre 1910
2407 Belle Glade Ave., Rev. F. L. Allen, Supt. 5053 (5035) Lindell Blvd, Rev. R. H. Harvey, pastor in 1910. 3504 Grace by 1954. [1954]

CHRISTIAN ARMY MISSION pre 1930
2722 N. Broadway [1930]

CHRISTIAN ARMY WORKERS CHURCH pre 1935
2106 N. 14th St. [1935]

CHRISTIAN ASSEMBLY [Pentecostal] pre 1900
1545 Tower Grove Ave. Rev. Abraham E. Nelson, pastor by 1900. 2607 S. Broadway in 1935. 7801 S. Broadway by 1940. 4905 Tyrolean Ave. by 1952 [1952]

CHRISTIAN BROTHERHOOD CHURCH pre 1940
1447a N. 18th St. [1952]

CHRISTIAN CATHOLIC CHURCH pre 1905
3401 Morgan, Rev. Frank L. Brock, pastor [1905]

CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] 1870?
8th & Mound Sts., E. J. Rice, pastor. 1320 S. 3rd St. [1940]

CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF MAPLEWOOD
See ELLENDALE CHRISTIAN CHURCH

CHRISTIAN FUNDAMENTAL CHURCH, (Inc.) 1940s
Organized by Joseph L. Autenrieth in the 1940s the congregation later adopted its current name, the CHURCH OF ST. LOUIS. 4200 Blaine Ave. in 1952. 1640 S. Compton Ave. (at Lafayette Ave.) by 1960. [1960]

CHRISTIAN LIGHT BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
3835 Finney Ave. [1970]

CHRISTIAN LIGHT MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
1333 N. Garrison Ave. [1970]


CHRISTIAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH. [C.M.E.] (African-American) 1925-1954
2801 Lambdin Ave. Also known as COLORED METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH in 1925. Began TYLER MISSION At 14th & Poplar Sts. [1954]

CHRISTIAN METHODIST EVANGELISTIC TEMPLE pre 1965
2744 Thomas [1965]

CHRISTIAN MISSION pre 1895
3227 Morgan Ford Rd. [1895]

CHRISTIAN MISSIONARY ALLIANCE CHURCH pre 1960
3502 Grace Ave. [1965]

CHRISTIAN REDEEMER SPIRITUALIST CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1940
2741 Thomas [1946]

CHRISTIAN REDEEMING SPIRITUALIST CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1930
3403 Morgan (Delmar) in 1930. [1935]

CHRISTIAN REDEMPTION CHURCH [Christian] pre 1940
2915 Cass Ave [1940-1946]

CHRISTIAN REDEMPTION SPIRITUAL TEMPLE [Spiritualist] pre 1940
2836 Easton Ave. [1940-70]

CHRISTIAN RESCUE ARMY pre 1935
2408 N. Spring Ave. [1935]

CHRISTIAN SERVANT MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1952
3142 Cass Ave. 4700 Natural Bridge by 1970. [1970]

CHRISTIAN SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1940
1924 N. 9th St. [1940]

CHRISTIAN TABERNACLE TEMPLE OF HOLY SCIENTIST SPIRITUAL CHURCH   [Spiritualist] pre 1960
1724 Franklin Ave. [1960]

 CHRISTIAN TEMPLE CHURCH pre 1955
4300 Page [1960]

CHRISTIAN TEMPLE C.S.E. CHURCH pre 1946
1211 N. 20th St. [1946]

CHRISTIAN TEMPLE FIRST CHURCH pre 1965
532 N. Taylor Ave. [1965]

CHRISTIAN TEMPLE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1960
2629 N. Taylor Ave. [1965]

CHRISTIAN UNION CHURCH pre 1964
4150 West Belle [1970]

CHRISTIAN UNION BAPTIST [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1925
2717 Eugenia [1925]

CHRISTIAN UNITY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
1414 N. Taylor Ave. [1965]

CHRISTIAN UNITY METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] pre 1952
2706 Lawton Blvd. [1955]

CHRISTIAN UNITY SPIRITUAL TEMPLE [Spiritualist] 1946
1101 N. Channing Ave. aka UNITY CHRISTIAN SPIRITUAL TEMPLE [1952]

CHRISTIAN VOLUNTEERS CHURCH pre 1915
1815 N. 9th by 1915. 1801 N. Broadway, Rev. James H. Marshall by 1925. 1320 S. 3rd St. [1952]

CHRISTIAN VOLUNTEERS CHURCH No.2 pre 1935
1954 N. Broadway [1935]

CHRISTIAN WILLING WORKERS MISSION pre 1915
2632 Olive [1915]

CHRISTIAN WORKERS CHURCH pre 1935
2519 Baldwin [1935]

CHRISTY CHAPEL [Methodist Episcopal, South] pre 1861 Nw corner of Carr & 24th Sts. [1861]
See also CHRISTY MEMORIAL (M.E.) CHURCH, South

CHRISTY MEMORIAL METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH, South [Methodist] 1892
The beginning of this church dates back to 1892 when Dr. C. F. Simmons was inspired to missionary endeavers. He organizaed a Sunday school at Voyce’s Hall (Morganford & Chippewa). The rapid growth of this organization led to the formation of a church in 1894. The first small church was erected in 1894 and was known as BECKVILLE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SOUTH and later as OAK HILL METHODIST EPISCOPAL, SOUTH. First pastor was Rev. W. H. Blake. In 1911 the church was moved to 4304 Neosho (at Morganford) and its name was changed to CHRISTY MEMORIAL (in honor of C. M. Christy). Present church, 4601 Morganford Rd., was completed in 1914 with an addition in 1939 and front remodeling in 1978. (aka CHRISTY CHAPEL or CHRISTY MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH) [2003]

CHRISTY MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
See CHRISTY MEMORIAL (M.E.) CHURCH, South

CHRISTY PARK (General) BAPTIST [Baptist] pre 1965
6220 Gravois Ave. [2003]

CHURCH OF APOSTOLIC FAITH AND ORDER
See CHURCH OF THE APOSTOLIC (Faith &) ORDER

CHURCH OF CHRIST pre 1915
2419 N. 13th, 2nd Fl. [1915] 5346 Lillian [1940-1965]
1809 S. 14th St. [1940] 4175 Manchester [1920]
4966 Arlington Av. [1965-1970] 7121 Manchester [1925-1965]
3800 Blaine Ave. [1935-1970] 3551 Morgan Rd. [1965]
2207 N. Broadway [1940] 3551 Morganford Rd. [1970] See MORGANFORD 1015 N. Cardinal Ave., Rev. Austin A. Layne [1925] CHURCH OF CHRIST
3037 Caroline [1935-1952] 2622 N. Newstead Ave. [1935]
5075 Davison Ave. [1965] See NORTHWEST 541 Ohio Ave. [1952]

CHURCH OF CHRIST 4229 W. Page Blvd. [1955-1989]
3501 Evans [1946-1955] (aka Evans & Francis C of C.) 4068 Parker Ave. [1955]
1408 Glasgow Ave. [1935] 2358 Spruce [1940] See HIGHWAY CHRISTIAN
705 N. Jefferson Ave., Rec. J. F. Dann, pastor [1900] CHURCH OF CHRIST
3200 La Salle [1952] 6152 Wagner Ave. [1966-2003]
112 S. Leffingwell Ave. [1935] 1926-30 Whittier [1930]

CHURCH OF CHRIST [C of C Holiness] (African-American) pre 1929
1008 N. 13th, Rev. E. F. Hill, pastor, 1929 4301 Page Blvd [1952-1970]
3417 La Salle [1935-1940] 2648 Papin, Rev. B.O.L. Jackson, pastor, [1930]
2706 Lawton, Rev. W. A. Stewart, pastor [1929] 2320 Wash [1940]
See CHRIST HOLINESS

CHURCH OF CHRIST [Pentecostal] (African-American) pre 1929
9th & O’Fallon, Rev. Willie Nicholson, pastor [1929]
Easton & Glasgow, Rev. Grover Williams, pastor [1929]
Garrison & Sheridan, Rev. Cleveland Jones, pastor [1929]
Jefferson & Adams, Rev. Thurman, pastor [1929]

CHURCH OF CHRIST – APOSTOLIC FAITH (African-American) pre 1925
2827 Easton [1925] 427 S. Leffingwell Ave. [1920]
400 S. Jefferson, Rev. Elder La Belle [1925]

CHURCH OF CHRIST – CENTRAL
See CENTRAL CHURCH OF CHRIST

CHURCH OF CHRIST – SOUTHSIDE
See SOUTHSIDE CHURCH OF CHRIST

CHURCH OF CHRIST – UNIVERSAL BROTHERHOOD [Spiritualist] pre 1921
3634 Juniata, pastor: Mrs. K. T. Hary [1921]

CHURCH OF CHRIST (The) DEVINE (African-American) pre 1930
2837 Easton Ave. in 1930. 2147 Clark Ave. by 1935. 2801 Gamble by 1970. Currently at 2653 Natural Bridge [2003]

CHURCH OF CHRISTIANITY pre 1970
4328 Easton Ave. [1970]

CHURCH OF DEVINE METHA-PHYSICS pre 1925
4226 Olive, Rev. William H. Woodfin, pastor [1925]

CHURCH OF DIVINE SCIENCE [Divine Science] pre 1900
3022 Olive, Rev. D. L. Sullivan [1900]

CHURCH OF EVANGELISMOS "The Annunciation" [Greek Orthodox] 1910-1913
Founded in 1910 by dissatisfied members of Aghia Trias. They rented a church at 17th & Olive in January 1911. Dissolved in 1913 when a large number of immigrants returned to Greece to fight in the Balkan Wars. By 1917 the split Greek community organized into a new church, St. Nicholas. Aka CHURCH OF THE GREEK COMMUNITY EVANGELISMOS [1913]

CHURCH OF FAITH pre 1925
1332 Shenandoah, Rev. James Zak, pastor [1925]

CHURCH OF GOD pre 1927
2125 S. 7th [1955]
1515 Hamilton Ave. [1946]
2325 S. 9th St. [1960]
2127 Howard [1946]
2524 N. 10th St. [1955]
4211 Hunt Ave. [1935]
1801 S. 10th St. [1952]
904 La Salle [1940]
12th & Park [1927]
2901 La Salle [1960]
1309 N. 20th [1935]
1730a Lafayette Ave. [1935]
3126 Alfred [1965]
3101 Lambdin Ave., Rev. R. Booker (African-American) [1915] 
1228 Allen Ave. [1960] See GRAVOIS AVE. CHURCH OF GOD
961 Lami [1960]
2920 Belt Ave., Rev. Madison M. Freeman, pastor [1910]
2514 N. Leffingwell Av. [1955-1965]
4287A Maffitt Ave., Rev. James Johnson, pastor (African-American) [1915]
4200 Blaine Ave. [1970]
8375 N. Broadway [1952-1970]
3238 Magazine [1946-1952]
3135 S. Broadway [1946]
5845 Manchester [1946-1952]
3906 S. Broadway [1955]
1024 Mississippi [1946-1955]
1701 Carroll [1955]
2929 Montgomery, Rev. H. H. Spiher [1895-1915]
1908 Chippewa [1946-1955]
1405 Morgan, Rev. B. M. Campbel, pastor (African-American) [1905-1915]
1043 Chouteau Ave. [1935]
5420 Cote Brilliante Ave. [1970] See COTE BRILLIANTE CHURCH OF GOD
2924 Mt. Pleasant [1955]
4201 N.Newstead (at Penrose) [1/11900-1946] See FIRST CHURCH OF GOD [C.O.G.I.C.]
4361 Cottage Ave., Rev. A. J. Hartshorn [1915]
3977 Delmar Blvd. [1946] 5214 Old Manchester Rd., Rev. Arthur B. Barnett,
2201 Dickson [1940] pastor [1900]
4446 Easton Ave. [1965] 611 Rutger [1935]
4008 Finney Ave., Rev. Willis Thompson [1915]
2504 Salisbury [1960] See NORTHSIDE
3602 CHURCH OF GOD
Forrest Park Ave. [1955-1960]
2811 Gamble [1965] 1377 Semple [1946]
3903 Garfield Ave. [1965-1970]
1636 Semple Ave. [1960-1970]
4249 W. Garfield Ave. [1929-1960] See GARFIELD CHURCH OF GOD
2126 St. Louis ave. [1960]
1019 S. Vandeventer Ave. [1970]
913 Garrison Ave., [1891-1908]
4370 Vista Ave. [1946-1952]
2201 Hadley [1946]
4003 Westminster Pl [1965] See WESTMINSTER PLACE CHURCH OF GOD

CHURCH OF GOD, BADEN [non-denominational, Independent Holiness] 1925
8373 N. Broadway. [2003]

CHURCH OF GOD, GRAND AVENUE pre 1960
201 S. Grand Blvd. [1960]

CHURCH OF GOD, GRAVOIS AVE 1960?
1222 Allen. Building purchased from St. Lucas Slovak Lutheran Church in 1960. (aka GRAVOIS AVENUE CHURCH OF GOD) [1960]

CHURCH OF GOD AND CHRIST pre 1920
3914 Fairfax Ave. [1920] 620 N. Spring [1960] See MEMORIAL CHURCH 507 S. Jefferson Ave. [1955-1960] OF GOD IN CHRIST
4300 Washington Blvd. [1960-1965]

CHURCH OF GOD AND SAINTS OF CHRIST (African-American) pre 1920
4103 Garfield Ave. [1935] 2634 N. Newstead [1925]
4943 Maffitt Ave. [1930] 4315 St. Louis Ave. [1930]
4206 Margaretta Ave., Rev. William E. Kirkland [1925] 1604 Warne Ave. [1935]
4201 N. Market pastor: J. J. Jackson [1920]

CHURCH OF GOD GOSPEL HALL pre 1946
2739 Burd Ave. [1946]

CHURCH OF GOD HALL pre 1935
1127 N. Market [1935]

CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST (African-American) 1907
3209 Chouteau, Rev. Thomas A. Nance, pastor, 1929. [1940]

CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST (African-American) 1920
4301 Kennerly, Rev. D. Bostick, pastor, [1929]

 CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1925
1530 S. 2nd & Marion, Rev. A. W. Curtis [1929-1935] 5598 Easton [1965-1970]
1530 S. 3rd St. [1940-1946] 3914 Fairfax Ave. [1925]
2000 S. 3rd St. [1952] 4373 Finney Ave. [1940-1946]
1331 (or 1301?) N. 8th, Rev. William Jasper, 1929 4832 Fountain Ave. [1946-1970]
103 S. 14th [1925] 2029 Franklin Ave. [1960]
911 14th St. [1940-1946] 2205 Franklin Ave. [1960]
409 S. 22nd St. [1935] 1448 Hodiamont [1965-1970]
928 Bayard Ave. [1965-1970] 6113 Horton Pl [1960]
2801 Bernard [1940-1946] 507 N. Jefferson Ave. [1952]
800 Biddle [1935] 4301 Kennerly Ave. [1946-1955] See KENNERLY 1108 Biddle [1940-1946] (Ave.) TEMPLE C.O.G.I.C.
1250a Biddle [1952] 3415 Laclede [1940-1955]
1322 Biddle [1970] 2742 Madison [1955]
2035 Biddle [1946] 5195 Maple [1960-1970]
3129 Brantner Pl [1965-1970] 3032 Market [1946-1955]
6400 S. Broadway [1935] 2233 Morgan, Rev. D. Bostick, pastor, 1929
1918 Burd Ave. [1960-1965] 4001 N. Market [1955]
3000 Caroline [1965] 4646 N. Market [1955]
3104 Caroline [1952-1960] 1510 N. Newstead Ave. [1960]
1611 Carr [1940] 2936 Pine Blvd. [1940]
2037 Carr [1952] 3135 Pine Blvd [1946-1955]
2607 Cass Ave. [1952-1955] 1335 Poplar [1920]
2307 Chouteau Ave. [1940] 2621 Russell Blvd. [1940]
2320 Chouteau Ave. [1946-1955] 3314 Rutger [1946]
3100 Chouteau Ave. [1940] 2957 Sheridan Ave. [1955]
1974 Clara Ave. [1970] 5477 St. Louis Ave. [1960-1970]
2827 Clara Ave. [1965-1970] 3828 Sophie Ave. (se cor San Francisco) [1920-25]
5827 Cote Brilliante Ave. [1960] 1802 N. Taylor Ave. [1935]
2233-35 Delmar Blvd [1935-1960] 210 Valentine [1935]
2301 Delmar Blvd [1946] 2221 Washington [1940]
3215 Delmar Blvd [1946] 1445 Webster [1935-1960]
2024 Division [1935-1946] 1926 N. Whittler, Rev. S. H. Jones, Pastor, 1929
4424 Easton Ave. [1970] 1879 Windor Pl, Rev. C. Bell, pastor, 1929
4460 Easton Ave. [1960] 3879 Windor Pl [1935-1955]

CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST (Apostolic) pre 1930
6714 S. Broadway [1930]

CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST MISSION (African-American) pre 1929
Macklin Ave, Rev. W. P. Dortch, pastor [1929]

CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST OF THE APOSTOLIC FAITH pre 1935
See also PRESENT RESURRECTED CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST OF THE APOSTOLIC FAITH

CHURCH OF GOD MISSION pre 1925
2950 Easton Ave. by 1925. 6825 S. Broadway by 1930. 3006 S. Jefferson Ave. by 1946. [1946]

CHURCH OF GOD (of) PROPHECY [Church of God] 1960-1972
2126 St. Louis Ave. [1960-1970] 4605 Virginia Ave. [1960-1970]

CHURCH OF GOD TRINITY TEMPLE pre 1970
3809 Louisiana Ave. [1970]

CHURCH OF HARMONY pre 1965
3002 S. Jefferson [1970]

CHURCH OF HUMANITY [non-Denominational?] pre 1885
306 Market, Rev. L. B. Hoodhue, pastor [1885]

CHURCH OF JESUS [German Evangelical] pre 1900
Victor (ne cor 12th) Rev. John J. Fink, pastor [1915]

CHURCH OF JESUS [Pentecostal] pre 1952
1209 S. 18th St. [1960] 4127 N. Broadway [1952-1960] 914 St. Louis Ave. [1952-1960]
4037 N. Broadway [1965] 1550 Lafayette Ave. [1952]

CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST [Pentecostal] pre 1952
3037 Caroline [1955-1965] 2603 Chouteau Ave. [1960] 5735 Wabada [1965
1933 Cherokee [1952-1960] 5702 Easton Ave. [1965-1970] ]

CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST APOSTOLIC FAITH pre 1940
3301 Market [1940] 3971 Cottage Ave. [1970]
(aka CHURCH OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST OF TE APOSTOLIC FAITH)

CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS, St. Louis Branch Chapel
See REORGANIZED CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS

CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST ON NAZARETH pre 1965
914 St. Louis Ave. [1970]

CHURCH OF KINGDOM OF CHRIST pre 1930
1404 Papin [1930]

CHURCH OF MYSTIC MIND SCIENCE pre 1955
1624 Belt Ave. in 1955. 5862 Delmar Blvd. By 1960 [1965]

CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF THE PERPETUAL SUCCOR
See OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL SUCCOR

CHURCH OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST
See PENTECOSTAL CHURCH OF OUR LORD (Jesus Christ)

CHURCH OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST OF THE APOSTOLIC FAITH pre 1935
19 N. Ewing (aka CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST APOSTOLIC FAITH) [1935]

CHURCH OF OUR REDEEMER [Evangelical] pre 1920
6449 Kingshighway, Rev. H. Friz, pastor [1925]

CHURCH OF OUR REDEEMER [Lutheran]
See OUR REDEEMER EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH

CHURCH OF OUR SAVIOUR
See ALL SAINTS’ [Episcopal]

CHURCH OF OUR SAVIOUR
See LUTHERAN CHURCH OF OUR SAVIOUR

CHURCH OF PRACTICAL CHRISTIANITY
See FIRST DIVINE SCIENCE CHURCH

CHURCH OF REDEMPTION pre 1925
3029 S. 7th in 1925. 3117 Cherokee [1930]

CHURCH OF RELIGIOUS SCIENCE pre 1940
4449 Olive [1940]

CHURCH OF SPIRITUAL DELIVERANCE [Spiritualist] pre 1965
3944 Finney Ave. [1965]

CHURCH OF SPIRITUAL SCIENCE [Spiritualist] pre 1955
3804 Wyoming [1955]

CHURCH OF SPIRITUAL UNITY [Spiritualist] pre 1900
3919 Morgan, Rev. W. F. Peck, pastor. 3204 Lucas by 1905 [1905]

CHURCH OF ST. ANTHONY THE HERMIT
See ST. ANTHONY THE HERMIT

CHURCH OF ST. LOUIS [Independent] 1960
Organized in September of 1943 as CHRISTIAN FUNDAMENTAL CHURCH. Moved to 1640 S. Compton Ave. (at Lafayette Ave.) 3145 Lafayette in 1955 and changed name around 1960. . (aka COMPTON HILL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH. [1986]

CHURCH OF ST. LOUIS OF FRANCE
See ST. LOUIS (Old Cathedral)

CHURCH OF ST. MARY [Episcopal] pre 1906-1927
Continues CHURCH OF THE ADVENT, they were officially renamed in 1910. New building was planned in 1916 to be dedciated as Bishop Tuttle Commemorative Church, but the name was never used. The new building opened in 1918 which included a parish house with chapel. 5910 Ridge (at Hamilton Ave.), Rev. C. E. Wilkinson, minister in 1920. Closed in 1927. Aka ST. MARY’S CHURCH. [1927]

CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL & ST. GEORGE EPISCOPAL
See ST. MICHAEL & ST. GEORGE EPISCOPAL CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE ADVENT [Episcopal] pre 1880 – 1905
20th near Washington. Rev. J. N. Chesnutt, pastor, 6300 Minerva Ave., Rev. George Lloyd, rector by 1905. Continued as CHURCH OF ST. MARY. [1905]

CHURCH OF THE ANNUNCIATION
See ANNUNCIATION (of the Blessed Virgin Mary) CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE APOSTOLIC (Faith &) ORDER [Independent] pre 1895
Founded by Rev. F. T. Shore, who professed primitive Christian beliefs. Later it merged with a congregation of the Church of God, which had been organized by W. R. Covert. Rev. Shore became pastor of the new church named Forest Park Church of God. No known address. [1895]

CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION
See ASCENSION PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE ASSEMBLY pre 1965
1016 Hodiamont Ave. [1965]

CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION [Greek Orthodox] pre 1946
1605 Euclid Ave. in 1946. Academy & Maple Aves. Building formerly housed Hebrew Academy. [1946]

CHURCH OF THE BLESSED SACRAMENT
See BLESSED SACRAMENT CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE CONVENANT [Presbyterian] pre 1895
Organized by Rev. John D. Brandt, at 2540 N. Grand (at St. Louis Ave.) [1925]

CHURCH OF THE DIVINE HUMANITY [New Jerusalem/Swedenborgian] pre 1900
Spring Ave (se cor. Delmar Blvd.) Rev. Samuel C. Eby, pastor [1915]

CHURCH OF THE EPIPHANY
See EPIPHANY OF OUR LORD CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE GOOD SAMARITAN
See ALL SAINTS EPISCOPAL [Episcopal African-American]

CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD [Protestant Episcopal] 1871
Sunday school started in Mrs. Rutherford’s home on 12th Street in 1865. Mission work and Sunday school started at Broadway and Lynch, then old St. Luke’s Hospital building on Ohio in 1866. Organized in 1871 in a building on 7th Street near Sidney. A chapel was erected in 1873 at 2849 South 8th Street, between Pestalozzi and Lancaster (Dorcas) Streets with Rev. Edwin Wickins, rector. Moved to 2849 S. 9th in 1879 and the church was enlarged in 1883. Admitted to the Convention in 1884 the congregation moved to 2838 Salena Street in 1899, Rev. B. F. Newton, pastor. Closed in 1931 and building sold to Golden Gate Church of the Nazarene in 1935. Aka GOOD SHEPHERD EPISCOPAL MISSION CHURCH [1935]

CHURCH OF THE EPIPHANY
See EPIPHANY OF OUR LORD CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE GOOD SAMARITAN
See ALL SAINTS EPISCOPAL [Episcopal African-American]

CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD [Protestant Episcopal] 1871
Sunday school started in Mrs. Rutherford’s home on 12th Street in 1865. Mission work and Sunday school started at Broadway and Lynch, then old St. Luke’s Hospital building on Ohio in 1866. Organized in 1871 in a building on 7th Street near Sidney. A chapel was erected in 1873 at 2849 South 8th Street, between Pestalozzi and Lancaster (Dorcas) Streets with Rev. Edwin Wickins, rector. Moved to 2849 S. 9th in 1879 and the church was enlarged in 1883. Admitted to the Convention in 1884 the congregation moved to 2838 Salena Street in 1899, Rev. B. F. Newton, pastor. Closed in 1931 and building sold to Golden Gate Church of the Nazarene in 1935. Aka GOOD SHEPHERD EPISCOPAL MISSION CHURCH [1935]

CHURCH OF THE GREEK COMMUNITY EVANGELISMOS (Greek Orthodox)
See CHURCH OF EVANGELISMOS

CHURCH OF THE HOLY ANGELS
See HOLY ANGELS CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE HOLY APOSTLES [Protestant Episcopal] 1895
Founded in 1895 as the ST. PHILIPS MISSION, their first meeting was held at the home of Dr. D. R. Overman, 4928 Maple Ave. The first church was a frame building, finished in May 1896 at the present location. In the fall of 1911 a fire destroyed this building, forcing the construction of a new church. Known as ST. PHILIP THE APOSTLE EPISCOPAL CHURCH until June 1930 when they merged with ST. LUKE’S and ST. TIMOTHY’S MISSIONS. 1234 Union in 1935. [1952]

CHURCH OF THE HOLY COMMUNION [Episcopal] 1869
Organized and admitted to the Convention, Jan. 24, 1869 by Dr. E. Carter Hutchinson, the well known rector of Trinity Episcopal Church. This congregation grew out of a Mission Sunday-School of Trinity Church. The first site was at 29th (Leffingwell) and 2803 Washington Aves, architect Henry Isaacs, was built in1870. Church was first enlarged in 1876 and reconfigured to improve acoustics in 1884. Sold in 1945 to Jamieson Memorial AME Church. Moved to the present site, 7401 Delmar, University City in 1939. Rev. P. G. Roberts, first pastor of new church. Rector continued services in the old location for 8 years for those who cou8ldn’t make the move to University City. [2003]

CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
See HOLY CROSS CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE HOLY FAMILY
See HOLY FAMILY CHURCH [Catholic German]

CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST [Catholic]
See HOLY GHOST CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE HOLY GHOST [Independent Evangelical] (German)
See HOLY GHOST (Independent Evangelical)

CHURCH OF THE HOLY INNOCENTS [Catholic]
See HOLY INNOCENTS CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE HOLY INNOCENTS [Episcopal] 1871
Organized and admitted to Convention in 1871. In the Union Church building, Morgan Ford Rd. (at nw cor. Tholozan Ave., in Oak Hill neighborhood). Rev. A. I. Samuels, first rector. Rev. John W. Higson, pastor, 1929. Merged with Mt. Calvary Church and St. Andrew’s Church to form St. Mark’s Church in 1939. [1939]

CHURCH OF THE HOLY NAME (of Jesus)
See HOLY NAME (of Jesus) CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY [Catholic]
See MOST HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY [Evangelical Lutheran] pre 1895
Mc Millan Ave. (near Taylor Ave.) Rev. Charles T. Mc Daniel, pastor. [1895]

CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION
See IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE LITTLE FLOWER [Catholic] 1925
2500 S. 18th by 1930. Organized in 1925, the present church structure was started in 1946 and completed in 1949, designed by Harry I. Hellmuth. The circular design is representative of the Shrine of the Little Flower in Royal Oak, Michigan. 1264 Arch Terrace. [1949]

CHURCH OF THE LIVING GOD [Independent/Spritualist] 1897
Founded by William Christian, no church had no set creed, but drew its inspiration from the Bible and primitive Christians. Services held in a rented room at 918 N. Twelfth St. 1333 Morgan by 1900. [1900]
2002 S. 3rd St. [1940] 3943 Cote Brilliante [1955]
1423 N. 16th [1940] 913a N. Garrison [1930-1970]
1211 N. 20th St. [1952] 1211 N. Jefferson [1930]
3300 Bell Ave. [1946] 3238 Magazine [1955-1970]
1838 Benton St. [1970] 2108 Morgan, Rev. F. G. Bennett, pastor [1900]
1434 Biddle [1955] 2701 Prairie [1960-1970]
2008 Biddle [1940] 2311 Wash [1930]
2833 Cass [1965-1970] 2343 Wash [1920]
2758 Clark Ave. [1952-1955] 4345 Washington Blvd (Headquarters) [1955-1960]
1636 Cole [1946]

CHURCH OF THE LIVING GOD (African-American) pre 1930
921 O’Fallon [1930]

CHURCH OF THE LIVING GOD, No. 2 pre 1965
6114 Bartmer Ave. in 1965. 5637 Easton Ave. by 1970 [1970]

CHURCH OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST pre 1960
1024 Mississippi Ave. in 1960. 2816 N. Vandeventer Ave. by 1965 [1970]

CHURCH OF THE MAGDALEN
See ST. MARY MAGDALEN CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE MESSIAH [Evangelical Lutheran] (German)
See MESSIAH LUTHERAN CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE MESSIAH [Unitarian, Episcopal?] 1834-1938
Church of the Messiah first met in schoolrooms on Market Street opposite the Courthouse. Organized Jan. 26, 1835 by Rev. William Greenleaf Eliot (pastor for 37 years, Grandfather of T.S. Eliot and founder of Washington University) as the FIRST CONGREGATIONAL SOCIETY OF ST. LOUIS. First services were held on the 3rd floor of the Masonic Hall at Main and Locust. In 1837 they built a church at 4th and Pine, finished in Oct. 1837. Moved in Dec. 1851 to a large Gothic edifice on the NW corner of 9th and Olive, dedicated Dec. 7, 1851 at which time they changed their name to CHURCH OF THE MESSIAH. The church was sold in 1879 they moved to a new stone church at the NE corner of Locust and Garrison ("Piety Hill"), dedicated Dec. 1881. Designated a City Landmark in Sept. 1973 and National Register of Historic Places Sept. 22, 1980, demolished in 1987. In 1907 they relocated to 800 Union (at ne corner of 5259 Enright), and finally to 5007 Waterman near Kingshighway in 1917. (aka FIRST Congregational UNITARIAN CHURCH. As a result of the depression MESSIAH and UNITY consolidated in 1938, adopted the name FIRST UNITARIAN CHURCH OF ST. LOUIS, and remained in the Waterman location. [1938]

CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY OF OUR LORD
See NATIVITY OF OUR LORD

CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE [Church of the Nazarene] pre 1925
3503 N. 25th St. [1960] 2163 S. Grand Blvd [1970]
3201 Barret, Rev. James W. Roach [1925]
1211 S. Newstead [1960] See CENTRAL CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE
4606 N. Broadway [1940]
2800 California [1930] 1201 Park Ave. [1925]

CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE CENTRAL
See CENTRAL CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE

CHURCH OF THE OPEN WORD
See FIRST GERMAN SWEDENBORGIAN CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE REDEEMER [Congregational] pre 1890-1911
Organized originally as FAIRGROUND MISSION CHURCH they merged with UNION CHURCH in 1911 and became FOUNTAIN PARK CHURCH in 1918. Barrett (at nw cor Thompson Ave.) Rev. George S. Ricker, pastor [1910]

CHURCH OF THE REDEEMER [Episcopal] 1891-1935
Organized in 1891 by members of the St. George Episcopal Church, whose church was destroyed by fire, at 3022 Olive. Episcopal Church Of The Redeemer was built and admitted to the Convention in 1892 at Pine & Garrison under the direction of Rev. Gustave Tuckerman, archtect U.G. Cairns. In 1902 the congregation moved westward and built a new home at 606 Euclid (at Delmar). In 1910 they merged with ST. JAMES PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH which included a stone church at the corner of Cote Brilliante and Goode. That structure was moved at the time of the merger to the corner of Washington and Euclid where it continues to house the united parishes which were renamed TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH in 1935. [1935]

CHURCH OF THE RESURRECTION
See LUTHERAN CHURCH OF THE RESURRECTION

CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART
See SACRED HEART CHURCH

CHURCH OF THE UNITY [Unitarian] 1868
The second Unitarian congregation in St. Louis an offspring of the Church of the Messiah, they built a stone church in 1869, at Park Ave. (and Armstrong). Their first pastor was Rev. John Calvin Learned. In 1917, Unity moved to a new church at 5011 Waterman (at Kingshighway). MESSIAH and UNITY consolidated in 1938 at the Waterman location, and adopted the name FIRST UNITARIAN CHURCH. [1938]

CHURCH OF THE VISITATION
See VISITATION CHURCH [Catholic]

CHURCH OF TRUTH pre 1905
1345 S. Broadway, Rev. Marcellus Herberg, pastor [1905]

CHURCH ZUM HEILIGEN KREUTZ
See HOLY CROSS EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH

CITY EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN MISSION [Evangelical Lutheran] pre 1930
1005 Theodald Ave. [1930]

CITY GOSPEL MISSION pre 1930
1918-22 Franklin Ave. in 1940. 2400 N. Sarah by 1952 [1952]

CLARK’S TEMPLE OF CHRIST pre 1955
2400 N. Sarah [1955]

CLAYTON BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
2801 Union Blvd. [2003]

CLEAVE MEMORIAL [Christian Methodist Episcopal] pre 1964
1915 Wagoner Pl. [1970]

CLEAVES CHAPEL C.M.E. (Church) [Colored Methodist Episcopal] (African American) pre 1929
1602 S. Third, Rev. D. C. Mosley, pastor, 1929. 1633 S. 2nd St. in 1952. 1915 Wagoner Pl. by 1955. Became CLEAVE MEMORIAL by 1970? [1965]

CLIFTON HEIGHTS CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian; Disciples of Christ] 1908-1952
Organized Dec. 6, 1908. 6420 Marmaduke Ave. (at Tamm) Rev. Elihu F. Harris, pastor, 1910. Merged with WINONA CHRISTIAN CHURCH in 1952, to form WATSON TERRACE CHRISTIAN CHURCH. [1952]

CLIFTON HEIGHTS GOSPEL HALL pre 1960
6420 Marmaduke Ave. [1960-1970]

CLIFTON HEIGHTS METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1888-1892
Organized by Rev. S. B. Warner as the Clifton Heights Methodist Episcopal Church in 1888. Their church was formed as a colony from the Union Methodist Episcopal Church, Wilson (near Clifton). A new church was built in 1892 at 2501 Clifton in the Southwest area and the name was changed to DR. FRY MEMORIAL METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, in memory of Benjamin St. James Fry, long-time editor of "Central Christian Advocate". Destroyed by fire in 1905 it was rebuilt on the same site a year later. [1892]

CLIFTON HEIGHTS PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1889-2004
6319 Wilson Ave. in 1895, Rev. John A. Gallaher, pastor. 6201 Columbia Ave. (nw cor Clifton Ave.) by 1900 . Rev. Edward N. Goff, pastor, 1929. Church closed Sunday, March 28, 2004. [2004]

COLLEGE CHURCH
See ST. FRANCES XAVIER

COLORED BAPTIST MISSION pre 1920
2628 N. Newstead [1920]

COLORED METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
See CHRISTIAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

COMMUNITY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1935
4123 West Belle Pl. [1935]

COMMUNITY (Center) A.M.E. ZION (Mission) CHURCH [A.M.E. Zion] (African-American) pre 1929
3101 Lambdin, Rev. C. Cotton, pastor, 1929 [1952]

COMMUNITY CHAPEL CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1970
2648 Franklin Ave. [1970]

COMMUNITY CHURCH pre 1960
4577 Easton [1960]

COMMUNITY CHURCH OF CHRIST pre 1946
2234 Cass in 1946, aka UNITY COMMUNITY CHURCH OF CHRIST. 2318 Cole by 1952. [1970]
also 2217 Franklin [1970]

COMMUNITY FELLOWSHIP PENTECOST CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1965
1614 Menard [1965]

COMMUNITY INDEPENDENT CHURCH OF CHRIST pre 1925
1404 Morgan [1925]

COMMUNITY MISSION pre 1935
2408 N. Newstead Ave. 2518 S. Broadway by 1955. [1955]

COMMUNITY PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1952
2199 Forest Ave. 2123 California Ave. by 1965. [1965]

COMMUNITY PENTECOSTAL TEMPLE [Pentecostal] pre 1955
1844 N. Jefferson Ave. [1955]

COMMUNITY TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C] pre 1946
1844 N. Jefferson Ave. 2849 N. Euclid Ave. by 1960 [1970]

COMMUNITY TEMPLE MISSIONARY pre 1955
1373 Union Blvd [1965]

COMPTON BAPTIST CHURCH
See COMPTON HILL BAPTIST CHURCH

COMPTON HEIGHTS BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1902
Organized Sept. 23, 1902. 3639 Russell by 1910, Rv. Walter O. Lewis, pastor. 3900 Russell Ave., Rev. James P. Stuart, pastor. 3641 Russell Blvd. By 1920. [2003]

COMPTON HEIGHTS CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] 1894
First of it's denomination in south St. Louis, the Compton Heights Christian Church began as a mission with the congregation meeting at ‘Anchor Hall’ (Jefferson and Park Ave.) On Apr. 1, 1894 a chapel was built at 2800 St. Vincent Avenue (at California), first pastor Rev. J. L. Parson. Originally known as PARK AVENUE CHRISTIAN (later home to Lafayette Park Church of the Nazarene) the first Christian church in south St. Louis. The chapel was rebuilt after the tornado of 1896, and served until 1930 when they moved to the former B'Nai El Hebrew Temple at 3666 Flad (at Spring). Early pastors Rev. J. L. Parsons, W.W. Sniff, S.B. Moore, & J.N. Crutcher. Present church at 2149 South Grand (at Flora Place, former site of the Nicholas mansion) was completed in 1950 after a seven year delay due to building restrictions during the war. [2003]

COMPTON HILL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1875
Caswell & Compton Ave. Rev. C. Decatur, pastor. 3141 La Salle St. by 1890. 3224 La Salle by 1895. 3141 La Salle by 1905, still their 1986, Rev. W. C. Cartwright, pastor, 1929 [2003]

COMPTON HILL CHAPEL [Presbyterian] pre 1895,1902
Originally at 3145 La Salle, later moved to 3116 St. Vincent Ave. [1905]

COMPTON HILL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Congregational] 1881-1955
Organized in 1881 as the HIGH STREET MISSION (aka TWENTY-THIRD STREET MISSION), a colony of the PILGRIM CHURCH. On July 3, 1881 it was organized as the FIFTH CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, in the former HIGH STREET PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH at 23rd and Clark. This congregation took it's current name when the present site of 1640 S. Compton and Lafayette was purchased in 1886, with the church building being dedicated in 1894. In 1955 the COMPTON HILL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH merged with MOUNT HOPE EVANGELICAL CHURCH and moved to the latter's church building at 3661 DeTonty, and the new church will be known as MOUNT HOPE CHURCH (Evangelical-Congregational). This congregation later changed it's name to CHURCH OF ST. LOUIS. [1955]

COMPTON HILL METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] (African-American) pre 1920-1952
3110 La Salle St., became La SALLE (United) METHODIST CHURCH. [1920]

CONCORDIA LUTHERAN CHURCH [Lutheran] (German) 1889
In 1891 the Concordia Lutheran Church held services in a Masonic Lodge at Forest and Bruno. They erected a building in 1897 at 7277 Southwest Ave. Moved to 2201 Forest Ave. by 1905 and 7247 Old Machester Rd. by 1915. Present location acquired in 1953 at 7291 Sarah (at Marshall) in Maplewood. [1953]

CONGREGATION ADAS B’NAI YSRAEL
See ADAS B’NAI YSRAEL

CONGREGATION AHABATH ACHIM
See AHAVATH ACHIM ANSHE RUMANIA CONGREGATION

CONGREGATION ANSHE RUMANIA
See ANSHE RUMANIA CONGREGATION

CONGREGATION ANSHE WOLLNER
See ANSHE WOLLNER

CONGREGATION AVIS ACHIM
See AVIS ACHIM

CONGREGATION BETH ABRAHAM
See BETH ABRAHAM

CONGREGATION BETH ACHIN
See BETH ACHIN

CONGREGATION BETH ISRAEL
See BETH ISRAEL

CONGREGATION BRITH SHOLOM
See BRITH SHOLOM

CONGREGATION CHESED SHEL EMETH
See CHESED SHEL EMETH SYNAGOGUE

CONGREGATION CHEVRA KADISHA ADAS
See CHEVRA KADISHA ADAS

CONGREGATION CHURCH OF GOD [Church of God] pre 1952
See CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST

CONGREGATION ISRAEL TIPHERETH
See ISRAEL TIPHERETH

CONGREGATION KNESSETH ISRAEL
See KNESSETH ISRAEL ANSHEI KOVRO CONGREGATION

CONGREGATION NISACH ARLE
1125 N. 11th [1925]

CONGREGATION OF THE TEMPLE GATES OF TRUTH
See TEMPLE OF THE GATES OF TRUTH

CONGREGATION SCHEERISH ISRAEL
See SHEERITH ISRAEL CONGREGATION

CONGREGATION SHAARE ZION
See SHAARE ZION

CONGREGATION TEMPLE ISRAEL
See TEMPLE ISRAEL

CONGREGATION ZEPHRON DAVID [Jewish] 1930
See ZEPHRON DAVID

CONGREGATIONAL CHRISTIAN
See CARONDELET (German) EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH

CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF CHRIST pre 1960
1221 N. Taylor Ave. [1960]

CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1952
2643 Delmar Blvd. In 1955. 3700 N. Markset St. by 1965. Aka CONGREGATION CHURCH OF GOD. [1970]

CONSECRATION CHURCH OF THE LIVING GOD pre 1955
1112 Glasgow Ave. [1955]

CONSOLING SPIRITUAL TEMPLE [Spiritualist] pre 1955
4437 Easton Ave. [1955]

CONSOLING TEMPLE pre 1960
4817 Easton Ave. in 1960. 5566 Page Blvd by 1965. 2601 N. Taylor Ave. by 1970 [1970]

COOK AVENUE CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1893
Developed out of a Mission School established by Grand Avenue Presbyterian Church. Organized May 5, 1893 by Rev. M. G. Gorin, pastor. Cook Ave. (ne cor Sarah St.) [1910]

COOK AVENUE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, South [Methodist Episcopal] 1877-1906
Sponsored by members of the St. John Methodist Church. Originally located in a frame building at 3700 Page, the present COOK AVENUE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, designed by Thomas B. Annan, is located at 3680 Cook (at se cor Spring) Avenue. Name was changed in about 1906 to SCRUGGS MEMORIAL C. M. E. CHURCH in honor of it's major benefactor, Richard M. Scruggs (of department store fame). [1905]

COPTIC CHURCH (By the Brotherhood of the Land of Ethiopia) pre 1940
409 S. 22nd St. in 1940. 2838 Papin by 1946 [1946]
Organized in 1875 when Rev. George West held prayer meetings at Broadway and Bowen Sts. Founded under the name FIRST BAPTIST, a split developed years later which formed ST. LUKE BAPTIST. Corinthian Baptist Church became SECOND BAPTIST and was originally located at 619 Steins (at Alabama) as the CORINTHIAN BAPTIST MISSION, around 1910. Years later the split was healed and the merged churches became Corinthian. Moved to 447 Antelope St. in 1909. On Oct. 1, 1990 the church received its first real home, located at 6326 Colorado Avenue near I-55. [2003]

CORINTHIAN BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) 1875
Organized in 1875 when Rev. George West held prayer meetings at Broadway and Bowen Sts. Founded under the name FIRST BAPTIST, a split developed years later which formed ST. LUKE BAPTIST. Corinthian Baptist Church became SECOND BAPTIST and was originally located at 619 Steins (at Alabama) as the CORINTHIAN BAPTIST MISSION, around 1910. Years later the split was healed and the merged churches became Corinthian. Moved to 447 Antelope St. in 1909. On Oct. 1, 1990 the church received its first real home, located at 6326 Colorado Avenue near I-55. [2003]

CORINTHIAN BAPTIST MISSION
See CORINTHIAN BAPTIST CHURCH

CORINTHIAN CHURCH pre 1920
800 S. 22nd [1920]

CORINTHIAN (Free Will) BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1946
2312 Chouteau Ave. 2221 Chouteau by 1960. [1965]

CORNELIUS MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1952
1035 Whittier [1955]

COSMOPOLITAN CHURCH OF TRUTH pre 1946
1414 N. Taylor [1952]

COSMOPOLITAN COMMUNITY CHURCH & SCHOOL pre 1960
3617 Easton Ave. [1970]

COSMOPOLITAN MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1940
2200 Carr [1946]

COTE BRILLIANT CHURCH OF GOD pre 1964
5420 Cote Brilliante [1970]

COTE BRILLIANTE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1870 (African-American after 1956)
This congregation began in 1870 as an interdenomination chapel and Sunday school, on land previously known as the Clagett Farm. By 1875 Cote Brilliante Presbyterian Church already had a structure built at 4687 Labadie (at Marcus) on land donated by Samuel Cupples, the building was called Union Chapel. Their first pastor was Rev. James H. Shields. By 1879 the name was changed to Cote Brilliante Church and the congregational voted to become Presbyterian on Sept. 29, 1885. New church was built in 1894 but the interior was not finished until 1904. A dwindling white congregation resisted relocation but in 1956, the St. Louis Presbytery assumed jurisdiction over the church and the all-white congregation dispersed. 4673 Labadie Ave. (at Marcus) by 1915. [2003]

CONVENANT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
See NORTH CHURCH [Presbyterian

CREICE MEMORIAL MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH (African-American) pre 1930
2224 Papin [1930]

CRISK CHAPEL
See PARRISH TEMPLE CHRISTIAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

CRUSADE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
4464 Oakland [1965]

CRUSADE BAPTIST TEMPLE [Ba[tist] pre 1970
4357 California Ave. Currently at 3600 Union Rd., South County [2003]

CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1848
Organized by Rev. J. C. White, who was succeded in 1860 by Rev. L. C. Ransom, at the northwest corner of 11th and St. Charles (Locust?). Congregation was dispersed due to the Civil War and reunited in 1866 and again in 1874. [1874]

CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN GETHSEMANE CHURCH [ Cumberland Presbyterian] (German) pre 1875
Sw cor. Wash & Jefferson Ave. Rev. Frederick Lack, pastor. Aka FIRST CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN [1875]

CUPPLES MEMORIAL METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist] pre 1915
6624 Delmar Blvd. in 1915. 6901 Washington by 1920 [1920]

CURBY MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1873
Organized as the WESTMINSTER CHURCH in 1873 in rooms at 3500 South Broadway. Named in memory of Miss Joseph Anna Curby, the only daughter of Col. J. L. Curby, who made a gift of $10,000 to build the church. In 1876 the church occupied a frame structure at Pestalozzi and James (now 18th) Streets. The present church was built in 1898 at 2621 Utah (at Texas) and remodeled in 1970. [2003]

Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS