ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET


BULLET St. Louis Street Index
B - Street Names


Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

BACON STREET (N-S). Banker Daniel D. Page honored his associate, Henry D. Bacon, when he laid out the Second Western Addition of 1855, Page was a promoter of the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

BADEN AVENUE (E-W). Part of Peter R. Kenrick's 1868 Addition to Baden, it was named for the community of Baden, which was so named by its founder, Frederick Kraft, in 1852 in honor of his home town, the German spa of Baden-Baden. (Baden-Riverview)

BAILEY AVENUE (E-W). Named by landowner George Bailey when he dedicated his First Addition of 1863. (Fairground)

BAISCH LANE (E-W). First appeared as an unnamed alley in the 1889 Shields subdivision of the Bingham Estate. It received its present name in 1928, probably for an adjacent German property owner. (Oak Hill)

BAKER BOULEVARD (N-S). On December 11, 1998, the St. Louis Board of Aldermen approved Board Bill 153, which renamed the part of Channing Avenue which runs from Bell Avenue to Locust Boulevard to Josephine Baker Boulevard. This was done to honor the St. Louis born entertainer who made her name in France in the period between world wars. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

BALDWIN STREET (N-S). J.H. Baldwin was a St. Louis Jacksonian politician who participated in the United States Bank issue of 1832. The name showed up initially in Taylor's West Union Addition of 1857. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

BALSON AVENUE (E-W). Real estate dealer William L. Balson in 1885 developed Balson's Subdivision where the street is located. (Oakland)

BAMBERGER AVENUE (N-S). Philip A. Bamberger named this street when he dedicated his Vineyard Subdivision of 1874, The developer operated a pleasure garden called Bamberger's Grove on the present site of the K-Mart Shopping Center. North of Gravois, this street was named Hunt Avenue until 1882. (Oak Hill)

BANCROFT AVENUE (E-W). First appeared in the 1896 subdivision of Southampton as an honor to the eminent historian and statesman George Bancroft (1800-1891). (Southwest)

BANDERO DRIVE (N-S). Ward 11, Precinct 11; Census Tract 1015. (Carondelet)

BANKS AVENUE (E-W). See C. D. BANKS AVENUE.

BARAT HALL COURT (E-W). Ward 17, Precinct 6. (Central West End)

BARNES HOSPITAL DRIVE (E-W). Ward 17, Precinct 6. (Central West End) See also BARNES HOSPITAL PLAZA.

BARNES HOSPITAL PLAZA (E-W). Originally a part of Kingshighway, which was relocated during Highway 40 reconstruction in the 1960s. It was named for Robert S. Barnes, part of whose fortune was used to create adjacent Barnes Hospital. (Central West End)

BARRACKS AVENUE (N S). Named in 1852 as part of a projected road to Jefferson Barracks. A section of it was called First Street until 1851. (Marquette-Cherokee)

BARRETT STREET (E-W). As part of the Fair Place Addition of 1860, this street name honored Colonel J. Richard Barrett, state representative and a leader in the movement for the St. Louis Agricultural and Mechanical Association Fair in 1855. (Fairground)

BARRON AVENUE (N-S). Called Gratiot Street from Manchester to Wise until 1881, when it was renamed to honor Samuel Barron, city inspector of public buildings. (Oakland)

BARRY STREET (E W). Honors James W. Barry (1800-1880), mayor of St. Louis in 1849. During his one-year term, Barry had to deal with a cholera epidemic, a major riot, and the Great Fire of 1849. (Soulard)

BARTLE AVENUE (N-S). Originally platted in the Chouteau Mill Tract Subdivision of 1853 and named for W. G. Bartle, a property owner in the area in the 1870s. Bartle is descended from Bartholomew. (Central West End)

BARTMER AVENUE (E-W). On St. Louis maps since the 1870s, it is named for Henry W. Bartmer, an early land owner in the vicinity. In 1887, it became a major street in the Chamberlain Park subdivision. (Cabanne)

BARTON STREET (E W). Memorializes David Barton, who presided at Missouri's first constitutional convention held at the Mansion House Hotel in St. Louis during June 1820. He became one of the state's two original United States senators. (Benton Park) (Soulard)

BATES STREET (E W). Called B Street in the 1832 plat of the town of Carondelet. After Carondelet's incorporation as a city in 1854, the section of this thoroughfare from the river to present day Virginia Avenue was named to honor Frederick Bates, second governor of Missouri. The segment west of Virginia was called Pennsylvania Avenue until 1880 when it too was renamed Bates. (Carondelet) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Morganford) (Oak Hill)

BAY STREET (E W). As the only street in Bay's Subdivision of 1854, this street was named for the developer, attorney William Bay. (Marquette-Cherokee)

BAYARD AVENUE (N-S). A street on the original Aubert Place subdivision plat of 1857, titled in honor of Thomas Francois Bayard (1828-1898), a member of the United States Senate from Delaware for 16 years. It is a private street. (Fairground) (Grand Prairie)

BEACH AVENUE (N-S). In the Maryville Addition of 1875, it honors Moses Yale Beach (1808-1868), an American journalist who published the New York Sun. It was known as Sycamore Street until 1883. (Cabanne)

BEACON AVENUE (N-S). When this street appeared in the Strodtman Heights First addition of 1905, it was named for the nearby Beacon Masonic Lodge. (Walnut Park)

BEAUMONT STREET (N-S). Originally platted in Stoddard's Addition in 1851 and named to honor St. Louis medical man, Doctor William Beaumont (1785-1853), who gained fame for his research on the human digestive process. (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

BECK AVENUE (E-W). Laid out in the Fred C. Beck Subdivision of the Tholozan Tract in 1871 and named after the developer. (Oak Hill)

BECKET HEIGHTS COURT (N-S). Ward 20, Precinct 4. (Penrose)

BEETHOVEN AVENUE (E-W). German composer Ludwig von Beethoven (1770-1827) was honored in this street name in McDermott and Hayden's Beethoven Heights Subdivision of 1906. (Oak Hill)

BELL AVENUE (E-W). Named originally for Daniel W. Bell, a prominent wholesale dry goods merchant in St. Louis during the mid-19th century. It appeared in George Buchanan's Addition to Bremen in 1851. (Grand Prairie) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman) BELL CENTER. See ONE BELL CENTER.

BELLE GLADE AVENUE (N-S). As the principal street in the Prairie Place subdivision of 1855, Belle Glade remains a symbol of the picturesque Victorian period when classical allusions and flowery prose were in style. Of French derivation, the name describes a beautiful sylvan vista. (Grand Prairie)

BELLE PLACE, WEST (E-W). See WEST BELLE PLACE.

BELLERIVE BOULEVARD (E W) Honors Louis St. Ange de Bellerive, the last French commander at St. Louis. Began as C Street in Carondelet in 1832 and then renamed Cedar Street in 1854, it was christened Caldwell Street in 1881 and Kingshighway Southeast in 1907. It received the name of Kingshighway Park in 1917 and its present title in 1930. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

BELMONT STREET (E-W). Originally upgraded from an unnamed alley in 1859, this street probably was named for August Belmont (1816-1890), who founded a New York banking business as representative of the Rothschild financial interests and who was a Democratic Party leader from 1860 to 1876. (Downtown)

BELT AVENUE (N-S). Named for the developer in Henry B. Belt's subdivision of 1870. In the Cabanne neighborhood, it was called Gay Avenue between Page and Easton until 1881. A part of it was called Florence avenue until 1893 in honor of a daughter of John W. Burd. Until 1881, in the Central West End, it was named Alfred Avenue for Alfred M. Waterman between Kingsbury Avenue and Forest Park. Other parts of this street at various times had the names of Florence, Gay and Forest avenues. (Arlington) (Cabanne) (Central West End)

BENDICK AVENUE (N-S). Named for John H. Bendick, one of the developers, in Fay's Subdivision of 1911. (Southwest)

BENEDICT AVENUE (N-S). In the 1849 plat of the town of Lowell, it honors St. Benedict, founder of the Benedictine Order. It was known as Main Street from Grand to Adelaide until 1881. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

BENJAMIN STREET (E-W). Benjamin Farrar, son of Doctor Bernard Farrar, is memorialized in the Second Addition to Salisbury Heights of 1864. Until 1881 it was known as Edward Street. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

BENNETT COURT (N-S). Named for its subdivision, Bennett Court, in 1907. The name Bennett is derived from "Benedict" and like it means "blessed." (Clifton)

BENT AVENUE (N-S). Located in the subdivision that Lucy Bent Russell dedicated in her own name in 1884. She was the widow of James Russell, founder of the Parker-Russell Mining Company, who discovered coal on his property in 1820. (Oak Hill)

BENTON PLACE (N S). An early private place laid out by Julius Pitzman in 1867. Named to honor Thomas Hart Benton, United States Senator from Missouri from 1821 to 1851. Benton supported legislation favoring Western development and expansion. (Lafayette Square)

BENTON STREET (E-W). Dedicated in 1816 as part of the Chambers, Christy and Wright's Town of North St. Louis, it was named in honor of Thomas Hart Benton (1782-1858), American statesman and United States Senator from Missouri who advocated measures to benefit the common man and supported legislation favoring Western development and aiding settlers. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

BENTON TERRACE (N-S). In the 1908 Kreickenbaum's Subdivision, it was named for its vicinity, long known as Benton Station, which in the 1850s was the Pacific Railroad's second station west of its downtown St. Louis starting point. The station appellation honors Missouri Senator Thomas Hart Benton, a strong backer of the Pacific Railroad. (Oakland)

BENVENUE DRIVE, NORTH AND SOUTH (E-W). "Benvenue" is a misspelled form of the French word ("bienvenue") for "welcome" which appeared as a street name in the Glasgow Woods subdivision of 1928. (Baden-Riverview)

BERGER AVENUE (N-S). First appeared in 1931 and named for Jacob J. Berger, a vice-president of the First National Bank. (Southwest)

BERNARD STREET (E-W). Materialized on St. Louis maps in the Adams Addition of 1855 in tribute to Father Bernard de Limpach, a German Capuchin monk who was first pastor of the parish of St. Louis in 1776. (Midtown)

BERRA COURT (N-S). In the 1955 Fairmont Terrace Subdivision, it was named for the late Louis G. (Midge) Berra, a prominent Italian-American politician and civic leader from The Hill neighborhood. (The Hill)

BERTHA AVENUE (E-W). Originally named Geraldine Avenue for a daughter of the developer of Watson's 1874 subdivision of Fruit Hill. It was renamed Bertha in 1893. Old German name for a female deity from a word meaning bright. It was a very popular female name in the decade when this subdivision came into existence. (Cabanne)

BERTHOLD AVENUE (E-W). Named for the family of Bartholomew Berthold, an early St. Louis settler and fur trader, who owned land in the Gratiot League Square. The title appeared on street maps as early as 1856. (Oakland)

BESSIE AVENUE and PLACE (E-W). In the private Bessie Place subdivision of 1932, it is a private-street extension of Bessie Avenue. Bessie appeared in the 17th century as a pet form of Elizabeth. (Fairground)

BESSIE COURT (E-W). Ward 21, Precinct 11; Census Tract 1077. (Penrose)

BEVERLY PLACE (N-S). A variant spelling of the English borough of Beverley (sic), county seat of the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, it first occurred in the Beverly Place subdivision of 1905. It has been applied to numerous American subdivision and town developments because of its English sound. (Cabanne)

BEWEN AVENUE (E-W). A private street in the 7400 block of Gravois probably named for the property owner. (Bouvelard Heights)

BIDDLE STREET (E-W). In the 1830 subdivision of Biddle and Wash, it honors area landowners, Major Thomas Biddle and Mrs. Anne Biddle, the sister of Bryan Mullanphy. It was Willow Street from 1826 to 1842. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

BIDDLE STREET PEDESTRIAN (E-W). Ward 6, Precinct 2, Zip 63101. See also explanation for
BIDDLE STREET.

BILLON AVENUE (N-S). See WEST BILLON AVENUE.

BILLUPS AVENUE (N-S). Named for Kenneth Browne Billips, a former director of music in the St. Louis Public Schools (who died October 28, 1985). The street runs just west of Sumner High School on a section of what formerly was Pendleton, extending from Kennerly on the north to Dr. Martin Luther King on the south. It was formed by city ordinance #59859 (April 1986). (Grand Prairie)

BINGHAM AVENUE (E-W). In the 1875 subdivision of the John Bingham estate, this avenue was given the family name. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill)

BIRCHER BOULEVARD (E-W). Seen first in Mrs. Mary C. Goodfellow's Second subdivision of the Council Grove tract of 1879, it was named for Doctor Rudolph Bircher who owned a farm in the vicinity. It was called Bircher Road until 1882. (Arlington) (Fairground) (Walnut Park)

BIRCHER STREET (E-W). Ward 20, Precinct 7,8. See also explanation for
BIRCHER BOULEVARD. (Arlington) (Walnut Park)

BISCHOFF AVENUE (E-W). A tribute to Ferdinand Bischoff, a city engineer of the time in the 1868 subdivision of Fairmont Heights. (The Hill)

BISCHOFF PLACE (E-W). In the 1885 subdivision of Clifton Heights, it is a western extension of Bischoff Avenue. (Clifton)

BISHOP P. L. SCOTT AVENUE (N-S). Formerly a section of Warne between Dr. Martin Luther King Drive and Natural Bridge Avenue, it was renamed for a prominent St. Louis Black clergyman. The ordinance forming this avenue (#59870) passed in April 1986. (Grand Prairie)

BISHOPS PLACE (E-W). Located originally in the St. Louis Hills Estates Number Two of 1945, the name acknowledged that it abutted property owned by the Archbishop of St. Louis, the future site of St. Raphael's Church. (Southwest)

BISQUE STREET (N-S). A "bisque" is a heavy creamed soup of pureed shellfish, game, or vegetables. (Baden-Riverview)

BISSELL STREET (E-W). In the 1873 subdivision of Bissell's Park, it commemorates Captain Lewis Bissell, a veteran of the War of 1812 and a founder of Fort Clark at the site of Peoria, Illinois. (Hyde Park & Bissell - College Hill)

BITTNER STREET (E-W). Jacob Bittner was a landowner and grower of grapes in the vicinity of P. R. Kenrick's 1868 addition to Baden. (Baden-Riverview)

BLACKSTONE AVENUE (N-S). Named for Sir William Blackstone (1723-1780), an English jurist and legal authority, in the 1890 subdivision of Mount Gamble. (Cabanne)

BLAINE AVENUE (E-W). For James G. Blaine, the Republican opponent defeated by Democrat Grover Cleveland in the presidential election of 1884. Blaine earlier served as a senator from Maine and as secretary of state under Benjamin Harrison. Blaine was a staunch supporter of Latin American diplomatic efforts, which lead to the Pan-American Union. This was regarded with great favor by late-19th century St. Louisans who wanted to expand trade south of the border. (Shaw)

BLAIR AVENUE (N-S). In Farrar's Addition of 1850, it honors the memory of Francis Preston Blair, Jr., (1791-1876), American soldier, lawyer and congressman. It was Henry Street from Grand to Prairie until 1882 and Eighteenth Street from Biddle to Wright until 1883. Until 1883 it was known as Fifteenth street from Hebert to Branch and as Twelfth Street between Branch and College Avenue. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

BLASE AVENUE (E-W). Developer and landowner William Blase gave his family name to a street in his 1889 subdivision. (Baden-Riverview)

BLEECK AVENUE (E-W). Honored Oscar W. Bleeck, a city surveyor of the 1880s, in the 1884 subdivision of the Buchanan tract. (Oakland)

BLENDON PLACE (N-S). Named for the 1885 Blendon Place Subdivision. Probably used here directly from the German "blendon," meaning "to dazzle." The other German meaning is "to blind." (Oakland)

BLOW STREET (E W). Originated in Carondelet. Called R Street in 1832 and Randolph Street in 1854 as far west as Virginia Avenue. Between 1852 and 1881, the appellation of Blow Avenue was applied to the section of the street from Virginia to Morganford Road. In the latter year the name was extended to include the full length of the street. The name honors Henry Taylor Blow who organized the Republican Party among Carondelet's Germans during the 1850s. Blow was a delegate to nominate Lincoln for President in 1860 and was made ambassador to Venezuela. His daughter, Susan, started the first kindergarten in the Des Peres schools in 1873. (Carondelet) (Morganford) (Southwest)

BLUFF DRIVE (E-W). In the Riverview Gardens subdivision of 1917, it was named for its location on the river bluffs. Until 1940 it was known as Garden Drive. (Baden-Riverview)

BLUFFVIEW DRIVE (E-W). In the 1917 Riverview Garden's subdivision, it was named for the vista from its bluff-top situation. (Baden-Riverview)

BOARDMAN STREET (N-S). For Charles W. Boardman, a real estate agent active in the area, in the 1868 subdivision of Fairmont Heights. (The Hill)

BONITA AVENUE (E-W) From the Spanish, feminine of bonito, or pretty, in the 1913 Arcadia Heights Subdivision. West of Kingshighway, it was named Wieseham Avenue until 1920. (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

BOTANICAL AVENUE (E-W). Originally appeared in the Shaw neighborhood, where it was named by the developers of the Tyler Place subdivision in the 1880s as one of several streets leading to the Missouri Botanical Garden. The developers wanted to emphasize the development's proximity. Extended west into the Hill community in Cline's Subdivision of 1891. (The Hill) (Shaw)

BOWEN STREET (E W). Originated in Carondelet as an impassable street labeled G and Grundy, it then became Market until 1881. Next its moniker was changed to honor John S. Bowen, who resigned from the United States Army to practice architecture and become a Confederate General in the Civil War. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

BOWMAN AVENUE (N-S). Located in the Clifton Heights subdivision of 1885, it was named for a prominent land owner in the area. The English origin is literally the man who fought with or made a bow. (Clifton)

BOYCE STREET (E-W). In Boyce's South Subdivision of 1879, it honored Henry Boyce, a lawyer and jurist who was more known in Louisiana than in Missouri but who had a strong association with St. Louis because he married one of John Mullanphy's daughters in 1841. Judge Boyce died in 1873. The name first appeared in Boyle's South Lindell Subdivision of 1879. (Central West End)

BOYLE AVENUE (N-S). Judge Wilbur F. Boyle named this street to honor his father, Methodist minister Joseph Boyle, who served in various pulpits throughout the state and started a conference journal. The son, Wilbur, was elected a judge of the Circuit Court in 1876, a post which he held until his resignation in 1892. In the Central West End, some sections of this street were named Duncan and Virginia until 1881. (Central West End) (Shaw)

BRADLEY AVENUE (E-W). First appeared in the adjacent Bradley and Dillon's subdivisions of 1884 on either side of Jamieson Avenue. Named for Charles E. Bradley, a real estate man who developed the property to the east of Jamieson. (Clifton)

BRANCH STREET (E-W). Named for nearby Rocky Branch Creek In Louis A. Benoist's Addition of 1842. It was Harrison Street from the wharf to Thirteenth Street until 1852. (Hyde Park & Bissell -College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

BRANNON AVENUE (N-S). Originally platted in the 1871 subdivision of St. Louis Heights and named for John B. Brannon, a city deputy sheriff in the 1850s. (The Hill) (Southwest)

BRANTNER PLACE (E-W). In Bissell's Second Addition of 1852, it honors Reverend William H. Brantner, pastor of St. Teresa's Catholic Church. It was known as Division Street from Webster to Francis until 1879 and was also Glasgow Place from Garrison to Webster until 1936. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

BREMEN AVENUE (E-W). For the city of Bremen, Germany, in Clark and Dillon's Addition of 1849. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

BRENNAN AVENUE (E-W). For the developer of the Homesites Subdivision of 1919, the J. Wallace Brennan Real Estate Company. (Arlington)

BROADWAY (N-S). As the first road connecting St. Louis and the nearby French town of Carondelet, this street was called Carondelet Avenue. Through the downtown district, Broadway was established as Fifth Street by city ordinance in 1826. The segment within Carondelet was known as Main Street until 1883 when the entire thoroughfare was designated as Broadway by a St. Louis city ordinance. Its name probably honors the famed street of that name in New York City, where the street was lined with financial institutions. During the last decades of the 19th century, Broadway became the city's most fashionable commercial street, with its major stores between Olive Street and Washington Avenue. In Old North St. Louis, the street originally carried the name of Bellefontaine Road. (Baden-Riverview) (Carondelet) (*Downtown) (Hyde Park & Bissell - College Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman) (Soulard) (Walnut Park)

BROCK STREET (N-S). Represents a contraction of the name of the developer of the 1911 Brockschmidt's Second Subdivision. (Oakland)

BROCKSCHMIDT PLACE (E-W). Named for Herman Brockschmidt, the owner of a stone quarry at Russell and Summer streets. The street came into existence in the private Brockschmidt Subdivision of 1875. (Oakland)

BROOKLYN STREET (E-W). Signified the nearness of the town of Brooklyn, Illinois, when it appeared in the Western Addition laid out by Charles Collins in 1845. Brooklyn was named Bogy Street from the Wharf to Twelfth until 1883. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

BROWN AVENUE (E-W). In Slevin's subdivision of 1886, it probably is not named for the color but for the name Brown which appears without a first name on early maps designating area landholders. Arlington)

BRUNO AVENUE (E-W). Commemorates Jean Baptiste Bruno, whose farm dating from 1840 covered 135 acres in what is now the city of Maplewood. (Oakland)

BUCHANAN STREET (E-W). In George Buchanan's Addition to Bremen in 1851, it honors this subdivision's developer, who was one of the incorporators of the town of Bremen. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

BUCKINGHAM COURT (N-S). Named for the nearby Buckingham Hotel at Kingshighway and West Pine. It showed up initially in Dameron's Subdivision of 1916. (Central West End)

BUCKNER STREET. Ward 1, precinct 7; Zip 63120. Named for John D. Buckner, principal of Sumner High School. (Mark Twain- I-70).

BUENA VISTA AVENUE (N-S). For the town of Buena Vista ("Good View") in northern Mexico, where General Zachary Taylor won a decisive battle in the Mexican War. Appeared in the 1917 subdivision of Hi-Pointe. (Kingsbury)

BULWER AVENUE (N-S). Sir Edward Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1875), the celebrated English novelist, was honored in the 1870 subdivision of John O'Fallon's estate. Until 1881, it carried the names of Lincoln Avenue between Humboldt and Calvary and Fourth Street from Grand to Luther. (Baden-Riverview) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

BURD AVENUE (N-S). Real estate man and land owner John W. Burd named this street for himself when he laid out the subdivision of Arlington Grove in 1868. (Arlington) (Cabanne)

BURGEN AVENUE (E-W). In the 1909 Burgen Place subdivision, this street takes its name from the Burgenland province in eastern Austria. (Morganford)

BUSCH PLACE (N-S). Ward 9, Precinct 1,2. Part of Anheuser-Busch; right in front of Headquarters Building. (Soulard)

BUSCHMANN STREET (N-S). Honored the subdivision developer and landowner, Henry Buschmann, caretaker of Hyde Park, in the 1867 Buschmann's Addition. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

BYRON PLACE (N-S). Platted in the 1891 Greenwood Subdivision, it honors Lord George Gordon Byron (1788-1824), the English Romantic poet. (Oakland)

Back to Street Index


HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS