ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
B - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

B’NAI ABRAHAM CONGREGATION [Jewish] (Orthodox) pre 1935
1234 Glasgow Ave. 6166 Delmar Blvd by 1965. [1970] 

B'NAI AMOONA CONGREGATION "Children of Faith" [Jewish] (Conservative, German) 1882
Formed for immigrants from Austria-Hungary who were former members of Sheerith Israel. B'Nai Amoona was founded at 824 Washington (at 9th), moving in 1884 to 11th and Franklin, and again in 1888 to 13th and Carr (where their first synagogue was dedicated in 1889). Rabbi Adolph Rosentreter was the first spiritual leader of this congregation, and ministered for more than two decades, until his death in 1930. Upon merging with SCHEERITH ISRAEL congregation in 1893, they moved to Garrison and Lucas in 1906 and 1212 Academy Ave. (at Vernon) in 1918. Latest move to 524 Trinity Ave. (at Washington), University City, in 1948. [1948]
First cemetery, Mt. Olive was located where Union Station train sheds now stand. In 1884 they purchased ground in Mt. Sinai Cemetery. Upon merger with Sheerith Israel they became owners of that congregations cemetery on North & South Rd.

B'NAI BRITH CONGREGATION "Sons of the Covenant" [Jewish, Liberal] (German "Bohemian shul") 1849-1852
Daniel Block was the "father of B'Nai Brith" in St. Louis. Rented rooms on 2nd floor at Lafayette and Fulton, the congregation was established for southside German immigrants. Not connected to the fraternal group of same name. Nearly wiped out by cholera epidemic of 1847. Merged with EMANU EL to form B'NAI EL [1852].

B'NAI EL TEMPLE "Children of God" [Jewish, Reformed] 1852
B'NAI BRITH and EMANU EL merged on Oct. 17, 1852 to form B'NAI EL under direction of Rabbi Bernard Illowy. The congregation held their first meetings in two rented rooms at 9th and Lafayette Ave. before moving to 15th and Walnut. Constructed at 6th and Cerre in 1855, from a design by Koenig & Brothers, Architects. B'Nai El was the first synagogue built west of the Mississippi River. An eight-sided structure with a center cupola on the roof, dubbed "The Coffe Mill." Construction was made possible after receiving money from the will of Judah Touro, an American Jewish philanthropist from New Orleans. Rabbi Henry Kuttner served the congregation from 1857 – 1870 followed by Rev. Dr. Samuel Wolfenstein (1870 - 1878). In 1875 they had moved to the corner of Chouteau and Beckwith (11th ). B'Nai El later moved west to a new Temple, completed in 1906 at 3666 Flad (at Spring), it is the oldest surviving building constructed for a Jewish congregation in St. Louis. Placed on National Register of Historic Places July 21, 1983. (now an apartment complex). The congregation moved to the West End in 1930, at Delmar and Clara. It's present temple is at 11411 Highway 40/Interstate 64 is in west St. Louis County. [1946] Purchased ground for New Mt. Sinai Cemetery.

B’NAI JESHURUM ANSHEI GALIZIAN [Jewish] pre 1920
2117 Biddle. 4305 Page & Pendleton Aves., Rabbi Abr. B. Goldenson by 1925. (aka B’NAI YESURUN ANSHEL GALIZIAN [1930]

2117 Biddle. 4305 Page & Pendleton Aves., Rabbi Abr. B. Goldenson by 1925. (aka B’NAI YESURUN ANSHEL GALIZIAN [1930]

B’NAI YESURUN ANSHEL GALIZIAN
See B’NAI JESHURUM ANSHEI GALIZIAN

B’NAI ZION CONGREGATION (Synagogue) [Jewish] (Orthodox) pre 1925
301 Soulard in 1925. 301 Lafayette Ave. in 1946. [1960]

BADEN A.M.E. [African Methodist Episcopal] 1900
8373 N. Broadway from 1900-1912. [1912]

BADEN BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1895
638 Athlone. Rev. P. G. Boggs, pastor [1895]

BADEN BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1946
1061 Theobald (at Newby) in 1946, 8929 Halls Ferry Rd by 1952. [1970]

BADEN CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] pre 1935
8465 Hall’s Ferry Rd. in 1935. 1061 Theobald by 1940. 8404 Hall’s Ferry Rd. by 1946.Merged with NORTHWEST CHRISTIAN in 1957 to form NORTHSIDE CHRISTIAN CHURCH [1957]

BADEN CHURCH (African-American) pre 1890
515 Antelope [1890]

BADEN CORINTHIAN BAPTIST [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1910
8300 N. Broadway [1910]

BADEN GOSPEL MISSION pre 1930
8375 N. Broadway [1935]

BADEN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [A.M.E.] (African-American) pre 1895
Broadway (nr Hall’s Ferry Rd.) Rev. W. A. Whitmore, pastor. Halls Ferry Rd. (se cor Church Rd.), Rev. C. A. Erdman, pastor [1910]

BADEN MISSION [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1890
7710 Railroad Ave., Rev. D. J. Kenoly, pastor. [1890]

BADEN NAZARENE MISSION [Church of the Nazarene] pre 1946
7853 N. Broadway [1946]

BADEN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1882
Originally services were held in a frame house at 7936 North Broadway and later moved to a nearby dry goods store. A frame church was erected in 1904 at 8449 Halls Ferry Road, under the direction of Rev. Walter B. Floyd, pastor. About 1914 the Baden Presbyterian Church congregation merged with the WINDSOR METHODIST CHURCH. [1914]

BAGNELL CHAPEL
See ASBURY UNITED METHODIST

BAGNELL METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH (African-American) pre 1910
8375 N. Broadway, Rev. W. F. Walker, pastor [1925]

BAPTIST CENTER CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1940
1628 N. 10th. [1940]

BAPTIST CENTER MISSION [Baptist] pre 1935
918 Carr [1940]

BAPTIST CHURCH AND MEETING HOUSE [Baptist] 1818
Erected late in 1818 at the corner of 3rd and Market Sts. Headed by Baptist missionaries John Peck and James Welch. Building was sold on July 11, 1828 for debt of $74.62. Site eventually was used for the old National Hotel. [1818]

BAPTIST CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD [Baptist] 1970
2931 Locust Blvd. (aka SECOND BAPTIST) [1970]

BAPTIST HEBREW MISSION pre 1955
5872 Cabanne Ave. [1965]

BAPTIST MISSION [Baptist] pre 1920
1727 S. 3rd St. [1920] 5552 Terry Ave. [1920]

BAPTIST MISSIONARY[Baptist] (African-American) pre 1910
926 Chambers, Rev. David Johnson, pastor [1910]

BAPTIST TABERNACLE [Baptist] pre 1920
3101 Lambdin Ave. [1920]

BAPTIST TEMPLE CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1955
4366 Lee Ave. in 1955. 4203 Lee by 1960. [1960]

BASILICA OF ST. JOHN THE APOSTLE
See ST. JOHN THE APOSTLE (and Evangelist) CHURCH

BASILICA OF ST. LOUIS, King of France [Catholic] 1831
See ST. LOUIS (Old) CATHEDRAL

BE HOLY TEMPLE APOSTOLIC CHURCH pre 1952
2610 Cass Ave. [1955]

BEACON LIGHT MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1952
4212 Papin [1952]

BEAUMONT STREET BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1859/1866
Starting as a outgrowth of the JEFFERSON MISSION, which was established at 25th and Franklin in 1859. In 1866 a group from the Second Baptist Church was dismissed to form the Beaumont Street Baptist Church and a chapel was built at the NE corner of Morgan and Beaumont streets by 1870. Early clergy included Rev. A. A. Kendrick, and Rev. J. C. C. Clarke. Once offered merger with Second Baptist they chose instead to reorganize as GARRISON AVE. CHURCH. [1870]

BECKVILLE CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran, MO. Synod] (German) pre 1875
Beckville, Gravois Rd. Prof. Kramer, pastor. [1875]

BECKVILLE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, South [Methodist] 1892-1900
First services were held in Voyce's Hall at the SW corner of Morganford and Oleatha in 1892., at Morganford (and Neosho). Moved to 4341 Beck Ave. by 1895, and by 1900 it was known as the OAK HILL M. E. CHURCH. Beckville M. E. Church South is now known as CHRISTY MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH [1900]

BELIEVERS GATHERED TO THE LORDS NAME pre 1910
3209 Natural Bridge Rd. [1910]

BELL AVENUE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1920
913 N. Garrison Ave., Rev. H. Howell Harris [1920]

BELL FLOWER BAPTIST [Missionary Baptist] pre 1910
759 S. 2nd St. (aka BELLEFLOWER) by 1915. 1726 N. 10th [1930]

BELL GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH (Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
4365 St. Louis Ave. [1970]

BELLEFONTAINE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SOUTH 1858
Bellefontaine (at Church Rds) (City?) Rev. John Mc Carthy, pastor 1929

BELLEFLOWER BAPTIST
See BELL FLOWER BAPTIST

BELT AVENUE MISSION pre 1910
3311 Semple Ave. [1910]

BENTON BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1929
21st & O’Fallon, Rev. H. H. Davis, pastor, 1929 [1929]

BENTON FIRST BAPTIST [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1925
2736 Hermitage Ave., Rev. James Watkins [1925]

BENTON METHODIST CHURCH
See IMMANUEL METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH, South

BENTON MISSION [Presbyterian] pre 1885
Mc Causland Rd. (near Bruno Ave.). Rev. William J. Lee, pastor. [1885]

BENTON PARK GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist]pre 1946
1959 Arsenal in 1946. 2100 Ann Ave. by 1955. (aka BENTON PARK TABERNACLE CHURCH, 1959 Arsenal 1952) [1960]

BENTON PARK TABERNACLE CHURCH
See BENTON PARK GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH

BENTON STREET METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1875
Benton & 13th St. Rev. H. Shuetz. [1875]

BEREA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] (originally African-American) 1896
Previously named LEONARD AVENUE PRESBYTERIAN (aka LEONARD AVENUE MISSION), organized 1896, at 38 S. Leonard Ave., Rev. Felton W. Parr, pastor. This black congregation bought the former Episcopal Church of the Redeemer in 1908. The congregation wanted to move during the Mill Creek Valley clearance in the early 1960s but the St. Louis Presbytery persuaded them to remain and gave them money to remodel and enlarge the building in 1963. The congregation integrated during this period. Original address was 3027 Pine but entrance was relocated after clearance of Mill Creek Valley to 3010 Olive St (at Cardinal Ave.) [2003]

BEREA TEMPLE ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] 1937
Organized in 1937 in a rented room at 3228 Park Ave. In 1939 congregation bought the old Compton Hill School at 3437 Henrietta. The current site was purchased in 1945 and a church was dedicated in 1950. Rev. James D. Cockman (1942-1955) was their first pastor. 3224 Russell Blvd. (at Compton). [2003]

BEREAN BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1895
Whittier (se cor North Market) [1910]

BEREAN SEVENTH DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH [7th Day Adventist] 1904/1931
Original church formed in July 1904, they met at 1208 N.Sarah (nw cor Cook) before moving to current address 1244 Union Blvd. (at Maple). [2003]

BERNARD STREET BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1868-1877
Bernard Street Baptist Church, was led by pastor Rev. J. Hickman and established at the corner of Bernard and Emily Streets. Disbanded before 1877, with some members joining GARRISON AVENUE BAPTIST CHURCH. [1877]

BERNARD STREET MISSION
See BERNARD STREET BAPTIST CHURCH

BETH ABRAHAM CONGREGATIONAL (Synagogue) [Jewish] (Orthodox) pre 1910
1401 Carr (nw cor 14th) by 1915. 1218 Glasgow Ave by 1925. 1444 Goodfellow Blvd. in 1929. [1960]

BETH ACHIN CONGREGATION [Jewish] pre 1955
1428 Blackstone [1955]

BETH DAVID CONGREGATION [Jewish] (Orthodox) pre 1910
1526 Belt Ave. [1952]

BETH HAMEDROSH HAGODOL "Great House of Learning" [Jewish] (Eastern Orthodox) 1879
Founded as a minyan in 1879, the congregation, comprised mostly of Latvian Jews was first located at 929 N. 7th. They purchased their first building at 1125 N. 11th (near Biddle) in 1890 for 30 years. First Rabbi was Israel Miller (1886-1892), followed by Solomon Elchanan Jaffe (1892-1895). 5877 Bartmer Ave by 1925, till 1955? Presently at 1227 North and South Road. [1955]

BETH ISRAEL CONGREGATION (Synagogue) [Jewish] (Orthodox) pre 191
921 N. 9th by 1915. 1426 Biddle by 1920. 1518 Biddle by 1925. 1424 Belt Ave by 1930. Clara Ave. (at Etzel) by 1935. 1488 Belt by 1952. [1960]

BETH JACOB CONGREGATION [Jewish] pre 1925
22nd & Biddle in 1925. 5705 Etzel by 1946. (5601? Etzel) [1946]

BETHANIA CHURCH
See BETHANY EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH

BETHANIA CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran] (German) pre 1895
Natural Bridge Rd. (sw cor. Clay Ave.) Rev. M. Martens, pastor. 23rd (ne cor Wash.) by 1905. Rev. Paul Brueckner, pastor. [1915]

BETHANY ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1960
1044 Park Ave. [1960]

BETHANY CHAPEL {Presbyterian] pre 1910
5382 St. Louis Ave. [1910]

BETHANY CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] pre 1970
4236 Lindell Blvd. Rm. 213 [1970]

BETHANY EVANGELICAL (and Reformed) CHURCH [Evangelical German] 1867
Organized on Feb. 7, 1867 in a hall at 22nd and Franklin. The congregation later worshiped in a small chapel at 24th and Carr, and in 1875 dedicated their own church at 23rd and Wash (Cole) Streets. In 1914 they built a church at 4441 Red Bud (at Rosalie), Rev. F. H. Krafft, pastor. Became United Church of Christ in 1957. Moved in 1972 to 11952 Bellefontaine Rd and changed its name to: BETHANY-PEACE UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST. Aka BETHANIA CHURCH [2003] Has cemetery on St. Charles Rock Rd.

 BETHANY (Evangelical) LUTHERAN CHURCH [Lutheran] 1874
The church was organized July 20, 1874 from a mission of Bethlehem Lutheran Church started in 1870 and a frame chapel was erected that same year. The chapel was used jointly with GRACE CHURCH until that congregation moved to Wellston in 1879. In 1883 a new church was constructed at 4108 Natural Bridge (at Clay Ave.) and their current church was completed in 1929 at 4100 Natural Bridge Ave. In Fairgrounds area. [1965]

BETHANY MISSION pre 1960
3013 Bell Ave. (basement) [1960]

BETHANY MISSION [Congregational] pre 1890
Park Ave. (at 12th St.) [1890]

BETHANY MISSION [Episcopal] 1922
Unorganized mission station of All Saints’ Church established to provide sociel services, i.e. Kindergarten, day nursery, clinic, etc. 1606 Wash, Rev. D. R. Clarke. Closed in 1929. [1930]

BETHANY (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1920
4060 Fairfax Ave., Rev. J. Henry Odin in 1920. 3511 Chouteau in 1935. 2917 Kossuth in 1940. [1970]

BETHANY-PEACE UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
See BETHANY EVANGELICAL (and Reformed) CHURCH

BETHANY PRESBYTERIAN [Presbyterian] (African-American) [pre-1895]
19th (nr Wash) Rev. Joseph T. Buck, pastor. 2309 Pine, Rev. L. J. Washington by 1910 [1910]

BETHANY TABERNACLE pre 1925
901 W. Jefferson Ave. [1925]

BETHANY UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
See BETHANY EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH

BETHEL A.M.E. CHURCH [A.M.E.] (African-American) pre 1915
918 Gratiot [1915]
BETHEL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] 1923
Organized May 1923, 5579 Labadie Ave. (at Clara) Rev. J. W. Mc Atee pastor by 1929. [1960]

BETHEL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1920
421 S. 14th [1925] 5579 Labadie [1935-1940]
729 S. 4th [1920] 5577 St. Louis Ave., Rev. J. W. Mc Atee [1920]
2300 Carr [1952] 5581 St. Louis Ave. [1920]
2812 Clark, Rev. George W. Dickerson [1925]

BETHEL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) 1904
Organized in 1904 at 13th & Biddle, Rev. M. Spikemer, pastor 1929

BETHEL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1929
503 S. Jefferson, Rev. J.W. Fitts, pastor 1929

BETHEL BAPTIST MISSIONARY CHURCH [BAPTIST MISSIONARY] pre 1955
1911 Franklin Ave [1955]

BETHEL CHURCH OF CHRIST [Church of Christ] pre 1930
108 S. Leffingwell Ave. in 1930. 3314 Hickory by 1955. [1955]

BETHEL CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1955
3345 Delmar Blvd. (basement) in 1955. 4006 Cottage Ave. by 1960. Continued by

BETHEL TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [1960]

BETHEL (English) EVANGELICAL (& Reformed) CHURCH [Evangelical] 1901Organized by the Home Mission Board of the Missouri District of the Evangelical Synod of North America under the guidance of Rev. Theophile L. Mueller (1901-1917). First services were held at Central Y.M.C.A. in Oct. 1901. By December the congregation moved to ‘Garfield Hall’ (13th &Wright). 2904 N. 19th by 1905. Cornerstone for present church, was laid Nov. 17, 1907. 4730 Margaretta Ave. by 1929, Rev. J. P. Meyer, pastor.? 2935 Greer Ave. (at Garrison) by 1935. [1960]

BETHEL FREE WILL MISSION pre 1935
8375 N. Broadway [1935]

BETHEL MEMORIAL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1946
2810 Clark Ave. [1946]

BETHEL METHODIST CHURCH
See MEMORIAL METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

BETHEL MISSION BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1946
2317 Carr [1946]

BETHEL MISSION CHURCH pre 1890
300 N. Commercial, Rev. P. Kitwood, pastor. 2108 Franklin Ave. by 1910. 1229 N. Leonard Ave. by . 1414 Carr by 1965. Continues ST. LOUIS BETHEL ASSOCIATION OF THE WESTERN SEAMEN’S FRIEND SOCIETY. [1965]

BETHEL MISSION SUNDAY SCHOOL pre 1946
N. 12th & Tyler [1946]

BETHEL MISSIONARY CHURCH pre 1960
1700 Cole St. [1970]

BETHEL NEW LIGHT SPIRITUAL TEMPLE [Spiritualist] pre 1940
311 Garrison Ave. [1952]

BETHEL PENTECOSTAL MISSION [Pentecostal] pre 1935
815 E. Marceau [1935]

BETHEL PENTECOSTAL TABERNACLE [Pentecostal] pre 1960
1111 Salisbury [1960]

BETHEL TEMPLE [Assembly of God] 1925
Began April 1925, in a hall at 3600 block of Washington Ave., with Rev. Henry Hoar (1925-1957). 4340 Lee. ? 3529 N. Jefferson (at 2600 Palm) by 1929. [1960]

BETHEL TEMPLE [Missionary Baptist] 1927
3529 N. Jefferson, 3314 Hickory by 1965. [1965]

BETHEL TEMPLE [Pentecostal] pre 1955
3125 Lawton Blvd [1955]

BETHEL TEMPLE CHURCH pre 1970
3314 Hickory St. [1970]

BETHEL TEMPLE CHURCH OF CHRIST HOLINESS [Holiness] pre 1946
3417 La Salle. Currently located at 5075 Davison. Continues BETHEL CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [2003]

BETHEL TEMPLE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST [C.O.G.I.C.] pre 1965
4006 Cottage Ave. in 1965. 1700 Cole St. by 1970. [1970]

BETHEL UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST [Evangelical & Reformed] 1901
Organized Nov. 10, 1901 under the leadership of Rev. T. L. Mueller. Located at Greer & Garrison Aves. In 1961; 3206 Sullivan in 1964. [1964]

BETHESDA ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1965
231 E. Davis [1965]

BETHESDA BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
3014 Warne [1965]

BETHESDA FAITH TEMPLE pre 1965
2841 Pestalozzi St. [1970]

BETHESDA HEALING REVIVAL TEMPLE pre 1955
4869 Natural Bridge Ave. [1955]

BETHESDA MENNONITE CHURCH [Mennonite] 1957
First Mennonite church in St. Louis, located near Pruitt-Igoe housing development in an old 3-story house at 2823 Dayton St. (Jeff-Vander-Lou area) Founded by Rev. James Lark [2003]

BETHESDA MISSION [Pentecostal] pre 1940
2400 Goode Ave. [1940]

BETHESDA MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1970
3014 Warne Ave. [1970]

BETHESDA TEMPLE
See BETHESDA TEMPLE OF APOSTOLIC FAITH CHURCH

BETHESDA TEMPLE CHURCH [Penecostal] (African-American) pre 1946
Founded by Bishop Johnson. 2406 Belle Glade Ave. in 1946. Currently at 5401 Bishop J. A. Johnson Lane [2003]

BETHESDA TEMPLE OF APOSTOLIC FAITH CHURCH pre 1960
5574 Delmar Blvd. [1965-70] 1217 Union Blvd. [1960]
1701 N. Grand Blbd. [1960-1970]

BETHLEHEM BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1925
109 S. 10th by 1925. At 507 S. 2nd St. by [1930-35] 2001 Wash [1935]
4205 Easton Ave. [1935] 4168 W. Belle Pl. [1946-1955]

BETHLEHEM BAPTIST CHURCH [Brean Missionary Baptist] (African-American) 1928
Organizaed 1928, 2314 Biddle, Rev. S. Glover, pastor 1929. 1723 Biddle by 1930. 4005 Washington by 1965. [1986]

BETHLEHEM CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Congregational (Bohemian) 1896
1301 Allen Ave. , Rev. S. W. Thornton pastor, 1930

BETHLEHEM EVANGELICAL CHURCH
See BETHLEHEM GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH

BETHLEHEM (Evangelical) LUTHERAN CHURCH [Evangelical Lutheran, MO Synod] (German) 1849
Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church is the oldest Protestant congregation in the Bremen-Hyde Park area. Organized April 17, 1849 by 12 Saxon Lutherans of New Bremen, who arrived in 1839, under direction of Rev. J. F. Buenger. . Their first building at N. 13th and Salisbury was dedicated May 5, 1850, a gift of F. Reller, and their pastor was Rev. Herman Fick (1850-1854). Their first English service was conducted in 1888. A second larger church on this site was dedicated Oct. 29, 1893 and was destroyed by fire Jan. 24, 1894. Present building was dedicated on April 17, 1895 on the NW corner of 2227 Salisbury by 1915 (at Florissant), its two towers were completely destroyed by tornado in Sept. 1927. The church was completely redecorated and rededicated Jan. 23, 1949. Mother church to St. Matthews (1900), Markus Lutheran (1904), St. Pauls and Ebenezer Lutheran. Commonly referred to as Bethlehem Lutheran. 2153 Salisbury in 1952, Designated City Landmark July 1976. [2003]
Founded New Bethlehem Cemetery at 9600 Bellefontaine Rd. in 1885, replacing their first cemetery opened in 1851.

BETHLEHEM FREE WILL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1929
611 Rutger, Rev. W. C. Hill, pastor [1929]

BETHLEHEM GERMAN EVANGELICAL CHURCH [Evangelical] (German) 1891-1918
Organized Jan. 1, 1891 by the Board of Home Missions with H. Graebledinkel as pastor. Bethlehem German Evangelical Church was formerly at 5036 Shaw and Hereford Aves. In 1910, later at 5801 Southwest, and now merged in 1918 with MESSIAH EVANGELICAL into MOUNT TABOR CHURCH at 6520 Arsenal. [1915]

BETHLEHEM LUTHERAN CHURCH
See BETHLEHEM EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH

BETHLEHEM MISSION pre 1925
1016 N. Compton Ave., Rev. John N. Hutchinson, Supt. In 1925. 3152 Easton Ave. by 1930. 4127 N. Broadway [1935]

BETHLEHEM MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1935
2110 Biddle [1946-1952] 2112 Cherokee [1965]
See NEW BETHLEHEM MISSIONARY 2638 Franklin Ave. [1970]

BAPTIST CHURCH) 1404 N. Jefferson [1946]
1705 Carr [1935] 2141 S. Jefferson Ave. [1970]
2021 Carr [1940] 108 S. Leffingwell [1935]
2234 Cass [1952] 2601 Montgomery [1955-1970]
3059 Cass [1986] 4168 West Belle Ave. [1965-1970]

BETHLEHEM SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1930
3102 Clark Ave. [1930] 

BEULAH CHURCH [Christian] 1893
Organized as an outgrowth of a mission Sunday school developed by Mt. Cabanne Church. The seventh Christian church in St. Louis. Marcus Ave. (sw cor Hammett Pl.) Rev. Eugene M. Smith, pastor. See also KINGSHIGHWAY CHRISTIAN CHURCH /&/ HAMMETT PLACE CHURCH [1910]

BEULAH HOLINESS MISSION pre 1925
1201A Armstrong Ave., Rev. Walter J. Henschen [1925]

BIBLE BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
1726 S. 9th St. Currently at 3150 Sutton, Maplewood? [2003]

BIBLE BAPTIST MISSION [Baptist] pre 1955
1002 Park Ave. [1955]

BIBLE CHAPEL pre 1960
6100 Leona St. [1970]

BIBLE CHURCH OF GOD pre 1970
1222 Pendleton Ave. [1970]

BIBLE FELLOWSHIP CHURCH
See ST. LOUIS BIBLE FELLOWSHIP CHURCH

BIBLE FREE WILL BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1970
3731 Mc Donald Ave. [1970]

BIBLE MISSION TO THE JEWS pre 1900
909 N. 11th, James H. Brookes, D.D., pres. [1900]

BIBLE MISSIONARY CHURCH pre 1960
4200 Blaine Ave. [1965]

BIBLE ONE WAY PENTECOSTAL HOLY CHURCH pre 1955
1243 N. Garison [1955]

BIBLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH of St. Louis [Presbyterian] 1938
Organized Dec. 11, 1938 at 5849 Cates, the home of B. E. Fisher, the first services were held that day by Rev. Carl Mc Intire. 5259 Enright Ave. in 1940. Current address: 800 N. Union Blvd. Aka FIRST BIBLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [1946]

BIBLE TEMPLE pre 1955
1254 S. Broadway [1955]

BIBLE WAY CHURCH OF CHRIST pre 1960
5053 St. Louis Ave. n 1960. 2223 St. Louis Ave. by 1970. [1970]

BIBLE WAY CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE [Church of the Nazarene] pre 1965
2701 Thomas in 1965. 2549 University St. by 1970. [1970]

BIBLEWAY ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1970
1636 Ohio Ave. [1970]

BIBLEWAY HOUSE OF PRAYER pre 1965
1921 N. Vandeventer Ave. [1965]

BIDDLE MARKET MISSION [Presbyterian] pre 1875
Biddle at 15th. Thomas Morrison, supt. Carr & 15th by 1900 [1900]

BIDDLE ST. MISSION
See BIDDLE MARKET MISSION

BIDDLE STREET MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1946
1407 Biddle [1952]

BISHOP TUTTLE COMMEMORATIVE CHURCH
See ST. MARY’S CHURCH

BLAINE AVENUE TABERNACLE
See ORIGINAL CHURCH OF GOD, Blaine Avenue Tabernacle

BLESSED HOPE BIBLE CHURCH pre 1970
5473 St. Louis Ave. [1970]

BLESSED SACRAMENT CHURCH [Catholic] (Irish) 1907-1991?
On June 27, 1907 a new parish was organized in the central west end of St. Louis by Father Patrick H. Bradley, who remained their pastor until his death in 1940. Their first church was a frame building, which served until 1914. Present structure was built in 1914, dedicated Mar. 21, 1915 and integrated in 1948. 2701 Kingshighway Memorial Blvd. (at 5017 Northland Ave.) (aka MOST BLESSED SACRAMENT) [1970]

BODY OF CHRIST CHURCH pre 1965
4749 Easton Ave. [1965]

BOETHIAN BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1940
1400 St. Ange Ave. [1946]

BOWMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1879
Organized in the Spring of 1879, as WATER TOWER METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH. Their first church was located in the old Presbyterian Church on 19th Street just off Grand. Rev. Cyrus Brough was their first pastor. In 1882 the congregation purchased lots on the northwest corner of 20th and Obear Sts. for their first permanent home, in 1892 they expanded this building. In 1904 they moved to a larger location at 4232 N. Grand (at Carter), and at this time they changed their name to BOWMAN METHODIST. The church settled in it present site, 4274 Athlone Ave. (at Carter), on May 29, 1921. In June of 1970, the first black pastor, Rev. Aubry Jones, reorganized the church.
(aka BOWMAN UNITED METHODIST CHURCH [1984]

BOWMAN UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
See BOWMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

BOYLE AVENUE ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1946
455 N. Boyle Ave. [1946]

BOYLE MEMORIAL CENTER [Presbyterian] pre 1915
816 N. 11th, Rev. Howard V. Yergin, pastor till 1925. 1920 Franklin [1930]

BOYLE MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1911-1946
Organizaed 1911. 1918-24 Franklin, Rev. Alex Asher, pastor, 1929. 4100 Washington by 1946. See GIDDINGS PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH 1946

BRANCH ASSEMBLY CHURCH pre 1970
1127 E. Obear Ave. [1970]

BRANDT MEMORIAL MISSION pre 1925
4256 (4265?) Delor, Dr. R. R. Vaughan, pastor. 4261 Delor [1940]

BRANDT MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1920-2004
Organized Sept. 1920. 4267 Delor in 1929, Rev. George B. Lewis, pastor. 4523 Rosa Ave. by 1949. Church closed Sunday, March 28,2004. [2004]

BRANK MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [Presbyterian] 1904
1212 Academy Ave. (at Vernon) Rev. B. H. Charles, pastor [1905]

BRAUER (Lutheran) MEMORIAL CHAPEL
See LUTHERAN MISSION

BRAUER MEMORIAL LUTHERAN MISSION [Lutheran] pre 1935
916 S. 4th [1946]

BRIGHT MORNING STAR pre 1920
108 Haven [1920]

BRIGHT STAR PSYCHIC SCIENCE CHURCH pre 1946
3660 Castleman Ave. [1946]

BRITH SHOLOM CONGREGATION "Covenant of Peace" [Jewish] (Conservative) 1910
Organized by a little band of immigrants from Hungary. Their first meetings were held in a hall at 10th and Franklin. Original members: E. Graff, B. Weinberger, M. Urbach, S. Dankner, I Rossman & Messrs Newberger and Herschfield, spiritual leader, Rabbi Cogen. They moved to a larger hall at 1218 Glasgow and Dayton Aves. By 1920, but continued growth forced a move into the old United Hebrew Temple at 1925 Enright (at Kingshighway). 6166 Delmar by 1940. Merged with KNESETH ISRAEL ANSHEI KOVRO CONGREGATION in 1960 and moved to their new home at 1107 Linden Ave (at Buck Ave.) in Richmond Heights. New congregation formed under name BRITH SHOLOM KNESETH ISRAEL. [1960]

BRITH SHOLOM KNESETH ISRAEL
See BRITH SHOLOM CONGREGATION

BROADWAY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1960
3662 S. Broadway [2003]

BROADWAY BAPTIST MISSION [Baptist] pre 1895
512 Broadway (ne cor Poplar) Rev. F. E. Taylor, pastor [1900]

BROADWAY LIGHT HOUSE MISSION pre 1915
4802 N. Broadway [1915]

BROADWAY MISSION pre 1946
2413 S. Broadway [1946]

BROADWAY MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1952
2846 S. Broadway [1960]

BROADWAY PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1940
3515 N. Broadway [1940]

BROOKES BIBLE INSTITUTE OF ST. LOUIS pre 1920
2051 Park Ave. (ne cor Benton Pl.) Rev. J. H. Gauss, pastor [1930]

BROTHERHOOD LIGHT EVANGELICAL SPIRITUAL CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre
1935
4386 St. Louis Ave. [1935]

BROWN SAM’L TEMPLE A.M.E. ZION CHURCH [A.M.E. Zion] pre 1965
4400 Kennerly Ave. Currently at 4400 Kennerly. [2003]

BURKETT SPIRITUALIST CHURCH [Spiritualist] 1941
2653 Natural Bridge [1970]

BURNING BUSH BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] (African-American) 1904
Organized 1904. 4201 W. Maffitt Ave. by 1920. 4368 N. Market, Rev. A. J. Nance, pastor, 1930. 2526 N. Taylor. 1925 N. Sarah by 1952. [1970]

BUSY BEE MISSION pre 1920
2826 Easton Ave. [1920]

Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS