ST. LOUIS PUBLIC LIBRARY
PREMIER LIBRARY SOURCES
HOME KIDZONE CATALOG SEARCH BULLET

BULLET Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship - 1770 - 1970
A - Place of Worship Names
St. Louis Public Library staff presents Two Hundred Years of St. Louis Places of Worship (1770-1970). This directory includes information about churches, synagogues, missions, temples, and other places of worship in the City of St. Louis Missouri between 1770-1970. The directory uses the boundaries of 1876 to define the City of St. Louis.

Listings for places of worship in St. Louis County or its independent municipalities are not included. If a place of worship moved outside the City of St. Louis, information following the relocation is not included.

A.M.E. ZION MISSION [A.M.E. Zion] pre 1930
3330 Hickory [1930]

ABYSSINIAN MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1965
1211 Union in 1965. 2126 St. Louis Ave. (at Rauschenbach Ave.) by 1973. [2003]

ADAMS MISSION pre 1915
3144 Chouteau Ave. [1915]

ADAS B’NAI YSRAEL
See CHEVRAH KADISHA ADAS B’NAI ISRAEL (Yeshurum) CONGREGATION

ADAS JESHURON CONGREGATION [Jewish] (European Orthodox) 1854
A "tsu-lochnisnick shul" formed by breakaway members of United Hebrew. They used rented or donated space for services. Acquired land for a cemetery on Olive St. Rd. which later became United Hebrews Mt. Olive Cemetery. [1854]

ADATH B’NAI ISRAEL
See ADAS B’NAI YSRAEL

ADVANCED SOUL CHURCH pre 1960
4408 19th St. [1960]

ADVENT CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Christian] pre 1910
2537 Emerson Ave., Rev. G. C. Brown, pastor in 1910. 2559 Emerson [1915]

ADVENT CHURCH [Baptist] (African-American) pre 1885
Caswell near Compton Ave.

ADVENT EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH [Lutheran] 1925
Organized Dec. 18, 1921, 3721 S. Grand, Rev. Fredk. M. Himes by 1925. 3663 Chippewa by 1952. 3758 Chippewa by 1955. 3752 Giles Ave. by 1960. (aka ADVENT UNITED LUTHERAN CHURCH. [1970]

ADVENT MISSION [Episcopal] 1870
Started as Sunday school in the Masonic Hall at 17th & Wash. Organized as mission in 1874 at the corner of 18th & Wash. Moved in 1876 to the former Presbyterian Church on 20th near Wash. Admitted to convention in 1883. Merged with St. Andrew’s Church and building sold in 1891. [1891]

ADVENT MISSION (De Hodiamont)
See ST. MARY’S CHURCH

ADVENT UNITED LUTHERAN CHURCH [Lutheran] 1921
See ADVENT EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH

ADVENTISTS MISSION pre 1910
8515 S. Broadway [1910]

AFRICAN CHURCH (Sealy Institute) [Methodist Episcopal] pre 1875
Main between Bates and Adams, Carondelet. William M. Sexton, pastor. 3721 S. Grand Blvd. Aka AFRICAN METHODIST CHURCH. [1946]

 AFRICAN METHODIST CHURCH
See AFRICAN CHURCH

AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [A.M.E.] pre 1930
4201 W. Maffitt Ave. 1026 N. 10th by 1952. 3526 Dodier [1986]

AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL ZION CHURCH [A.M.E. Zion] 1870
Allen w. of Main, Carondelet. Rev. William Deve, pastor [1870]

AFRICAN MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1895
710 S. 6th. Rev. Martin J. Deberill, pastor. 1312 Merchant or 4225A Kennerly Ave. by 1900. 615 Spruce by 1905. 36 S. Leonard Ave., Robert B. James, pastor by 1910 [1910]

AFRICAN STATION (aka Mission) [Methodist] 1839
Established October 1839 as one of the first three Methodist churches in St. Louis, No address, may not have had a permanent residence. [1839]

AGHIA TRIA
See HOLY TRINITY CHURCH [Greek Orthodox]

AGUNDAS HAKHILOS CONGREGATION [Jewish] (Orthodox) 1938?
Organized at 800 N. Union Blvd. in 1938/39. They moved out in Jan. 1939 when negotiations for purchase of the building from the Unitarian Church of the Messiah failed. Later address 1428 Blackstone [1940]

AHAMDIYYA MOVEMENT OF (in) ISLAM pre 1960
1821 N. Vandeventer. Currently located at 4401 Oakwood, St. Louis, Co.. [2003]

AHAVATH ACHIMANSHE RUMANIA CONGREGATION [Jewish] pre 1910
1007 N. 19th in 1910.
1015 N. 19th, Benjamin Segal, Rabbi by 1920.
2733 Thomas by 1925. 1385 Goodfellow by 1935.
1428 Blackstone by 1955. [1955]

AHMADS TEMPLE OF TRUTH pre 1965
1211a Taylor Ave. [1965]

AL JAMIA AL ISLAMIYA MOSLEM MISSION [Mohammedan] pre 1940
2200 Dickson [1940]

ALBANIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH
See ST. DIMITRI MIROULIT

ALETHEIAN FELLOWSHIP CHURCH pre 1946
3465 Gravois Ave. in 1952.
4268 Delor by 1955 [1955]

ALJAMAT AL ISLAMIAT MOSQUE [Islamic-Ahmadiyya Movement] (African-American) 1932/42?
3119 Evans Ave. [1942]

ALL NATION SPIRITUAL TEMPLE [Spiritualist] pre 1952
3229 Pine Blvd. [1952]

ALL NATIONS CHAPEL [Lutheran] pre 1964
2401 Dickson [1964]

ALL SAINTS [Catholic] 1902
Organized 1902 in the west end, in the vicinity of the World’s Fair Grounds, by Rev. John S. Long. A temporary 2 story frame church & school building was erected on Oct. 19, 1902, 63rd & Maple Ave. [1902]

ALL SAINTS EPISCOPAL [Episcopal] (African-American) 1873
The first and only black congregation of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri. Organized in 1873 as the MISSION OF OUR SAVIOR SUNDAY SCHOOL. They moved into their first church the next year, under Rev. James E. Thompson. The former B’Nai El Synagogue at Sixth and Cerre became home to Good Shepherd. In 1881 the mission shared space with Trinity Episcopal Church at Eleventh and Washington, to be nearer to the black community. In 1883 Good Shepherd gained full parish status and acquired the name All Saint’s Episcopal Church and the new parish moved to 2135 Washington Ave. (at 22nd). The new location was the former Central Christian Church building, but this too was to last only a few years and in 1906 the congregation moved to 2935 Locust and Garrison, The new church remained their home for the next fifty years. Also known as CHURCH OF OUR SAVIOR then as CHURCH OF THE GOOD SAMARITAN or ALL SAINT’S NEGRO EPISCOPAL CHURCH. Current church was built in 1930, for Faith Lutheran, and was purchased in 1958. 2831 N. Kingshighway. [2003]

ALL SAINTS GOSPEL FEAST CHURCH pre 1955
507 S. Jefferson Ave. [1955]

ALL SAINTS GOSPEL FEAST HOLINESS CHURCH [Holiness] pre 1940
17 N. Garrison [1940] & 2510 Glasgow Ave. [1940]

ALL SAINTS NEGRO EPISCOPAL CHURCH
See ALL SAINTS EPISCOPAL

ALL SOULS CHURCH [Spiritualist] pre 1921
4412 West Belle. Pastor, Mrs. Armstrong [1921]

ALLEN A.M.E. CHURCH [A.M.E.] pre 1910
1111 Wash, Rev. Elias S. Brown, pastor [1910]

ALPHA-OMEGA METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH pre 1925
4201 W. Maffitt Ave. [1925]

AMARSARY TEMPLE [Spiritualist] pre 1925
2021 Carr [1925]

AMAZON MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1946
2141 Chouteau Ave. [1946]

AMERICAN CHRISTIAN VOLUNTEERS pre 1915
1450 Webster Ave., Rev. George L. Elliott, pastor [1915]

AMERICAN CHURCH HOUSE
See HOLY CROSS MISSION

AMERICAN RESCUE WORKERS MISSION pre 1915
204 S. 7th [1915]

AMERICAN SALVATION ARMY
See SALVATION ARMY

ANABHANGIGE EVANGELICAL PROTESTANT KIRCHE [Evangelical] (German) 1916
Cornerstone laid Oct.14, 1916 at 4001 Fair Ave (across from Fairgrounds Park) [1916]

ANDERSON MISSION [Spiritualist] pre 1921
3427 Hickory St., Pastor Mrs. Anderson [1921]

ANGELICA TABERNACLE PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1970
1428 Warren St. [1970]

ANGELICA TEMPLE OF DELIVERANCE. [Pentecostal] 1964?
5001 Washington (at N. Kingshighway) Currently located at 5266 Plover (at Thekla) [2003]

ANGELICA TEMPLE PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1965
1428 Warren [1965]

ANNUNCIATION (of the Blessed Virgin Mary) CHURCH "Ava Maria Shrine" [Catholic] 1859 – 1951 razed
A miniature version of St. John Lateran, one of the great Cathedrals of Rome. Rev. Patrick John Ryan was the first pastor, he later became Coadjutor Bishop of St. Louis and then Archbishop of Philadelphia. Cornerstone laid Nov. 27, 1859. The great cyclone of May 27th, 1896, nearly demolished the church, but it was restored. Located at 1013 6th and La Salle (Labadie 1880?). Closed in 1951, and razed, it's records were maintained at St. Mary of Victories Church [1951]

ANSHE WOLLNER [Jewish] pre 1900
1024 N. 7th, B. Feldman, pres. (aka CONGREGATION ANSHE WOLLNER) [1900]

ANTIOCH (Missionary) BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] (African-American) 1878/1920
First building was a frame church on Kennerly Ave. in 1909. The congregation purchased Goode Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church. 4223 Kennerly Ave. (near Lambdin Ave.) Antioch Baptist Church's present church was erected by 1915 at 2401 Goode (at 4241 North Market) and expanded in 1954. Located in the Grand-Prairie area. National Register of Historic Places Sept. 17, 1999. [2003]

ANTIOCH MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
4175 Manchester Ave. [1955] 1630 Ohio Ave. [1965] 2901 Miami St. [1970]

APOSTLE CREED HOLY TEMPLE [Spiritualist] pre 1952
2824 Cass Ave [1952]

APOSTOLIC CHRISTIAN CHURCH [Apostolic] 1914
815 Angelica Street. Rev. John Philipovac in 1929.

APOSTOLIC CHRISTIAN CONGRESS OF ST. LOUIS pre 1955
815 Angelica (aka APOSTOLIC CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST) [1955]

APOSTOLIC CHURCH pre 1946
2735 S. Broadway [1946]

APOSTOLIC CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST 1925
1305 S. 7th St. [1940-1946]
1405 S. 7th St. [1955-1960]
815 Angelica (aka APOSTOLIC CHRISTIAN CONGRESS OF ST. LOUIS)
1411 S. Broadway [1946]
2413 S. Broadway (aka APOSTOLIC CHRISTIAN CONGRESS OF ST. LOUIS) [1935-1940]
1901 Dodier [1965]
4017 Easton, Rev. Ben Pemberton, pastor.
1356 N. Garrison Ave. [1930]
1100 Hickory, Rev. W. H. Whittington pastor (aka APOSTOLIC FULL GOSPEL CHURCH) [1930-1946]
2907 S. Jefferson Ave. [1965-1970]
2035 Park Ave. [1965-2003]
914 St. Louis Ave. [1940]

APOSTOLIC FAITH CHURCH pre 1946
4019 S. Grand Blvd. [1960-1970] 6420 Marmaduke Ave. [1955]
1732 Lafayette Ave. [1946-1952] 4837 St. Louis Ave. [1952]

APOSTOLIC FAITH MISSION pre 1920
2746A Chouteau Ave. in 1920. 1301a Market, Rev. James Parr, pastor, by 1929. 1700 Chouteau by 1930

APOSTOLIC FAITH PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1960
2718 S. Jefferson Ave. [1970]

APOSTOLIC FAITH TABERNACLE [Pentecostal] pre 1952
5075 Davison Ave. [1970] 1921 Penrose Ave. [1952-1970]

APOSTOLIC FULL GOSPEL CHURCH
See APOSTOLIC CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST

APOSTOLIC HOUSE OF GOD pre 1965
5645 Easton Ave. [1970]

APOSTOLIC MISSION 1910
2623 Laclede Ave.in 1910. 10th & Marion [1940]

APOSTOLIC PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1952
1304 S. 3rd St. in 1952. 1001 Sidney St. by 1970? 1300 Gravois (at S. 13th St.) by 1965. [2003]
1301 Allen Ave. [1955-1965] 3606 N. Broadway [1955-1960]

APOSTOLIC PENTECOSTAL MISSION [Pentecostal] pre 1955
1820 Park Ave. [1965]

APOSTOLIC TABERNACLE OF JESUS CHRIST pre 1940
1301 Allen Ave. [1952]

AQUARIAN CHURCH OF DEVINE SCIENCE [Divine Science] pre 1940
3028 Bell Ave. [1960]

ARLINGTON CHAPEL pre 1910
3425 Arlington Ave. [1920] 

ARLINGTON HEIGHTS METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, South
See ARLINGTON UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

ARLINGTON METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, South
See ARLINGTON UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

ARLINGTON (United) METHODIST CHURCH [Methodist Episcopal] 1914
Organized Nov. 1914 with 15charter members of a mission Sunday school started at 5404 St. Louis Ave. Rev. George D. Davis, first minister (1915-19) After the congregation acquired a small wooden building at 3425 Arlington Ave. A new brick church was built at 2801 Union Blvd. (at Maffit) Rev. Fred Armstrong, pastor, 1929. Used until 1961 when congregation moved to Bridgeton [1984]
(aka ARLINGTON HEIGHTS METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, South)
(aka ARLINGTON METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, South)

ARLOE MISSION pre 1910
6420 Marmaduke Ave. [1910]

ASBURY CHAPEL
See ST. JOHN’S (United) METHODIST CHURCH, South

ASBURY (Memorial) A.M.E. CHURCH [A.M.E.] pre 1935
4511 St. Ferdinand [1952]

ASBURY (Memorial) METHODIST (Episcopal) CHURCH
See ASBURY UNITED METHODIST

ASBURY UNITED METHODIST [Methodist] 1914
The former EDWARDSVILLE MISSION which started in 1914 as a Sunday school in the home of Miss Macky, a member of Union Memorial at Leffingwell & Pine. The mission united with BAGNELL CHAPEL in 1948, under the leadership of Rev. W. Goff. They first occupied a storefront at 2501 Goode & St. Ferdinand. Moved to 2501 Taylor & St. Ferdinand in 1924. 1952 they moved to the current site, 4001 Maffit Ave. aka ASBURY (Memorial) A.M.E. CHURCH. [2003]

ASCENSION (Evangelical) LUTHERAN CHURCH [Lutheran] 1941
Organized Jan. 1941. 6501 Eichelberger St., in St. Louis Hills, 5347 Donovan by 1946 [2003]

ASCENSION PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH [Episcopal] 1888
Ascension Protestant Episcopal Church, also known as CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION. This church was formed on July 12, 1888, by Episcopalians from the former Union Sunday School. First services were held in ‘Conclave Hall’ (Maple & Hamilton Aves.) until Christmas 1888, when their first church opened . In 1908 a new church, is located 5749 Cates (at nw cor Goodfellow), architect J. P. Annan. First pastor Rev. C.E. Brugler followed by Rev. William Elmer. Admitted to Convention in 1890. Proposed merger with REDEEMER and ST. PHILLIP’S in 1909 did not materialize. New church built in 1909, Mariner & La BEAUM, architect. In 1916 the Parish hall (old church building) burned. A new parish hall was constructed in 1923, architect, H.H. Hohenschild. The church building was razed in 1971, the parish house was remodelled as a multipurpose building. The last of the original buildings were demolished in 2000 and the parish now worships in the former West Presbyterian Church, 5872 Maple Ave. [2003]

ASIA MINOR BAPTIST CHURCH [Baptist] pre 1935
1510 Wash [1935]

ASSEMBLY CHURCH pre 1970
3959 Easton Ave. [1970]

ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Assembly of God] pre 1946
2108 N. 14th St. [1946] 702 E. Carrie Ave [1946]
3611 S. Broadway [1946] 1605 N. Euclid [1952]

ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1925
2125 S. 7th St. [1960] 2413 S. Broadway [1940] Helen (at Emma) [1955]
3205 S. 7th St. [1955] 2919 Chouteau Ave. in 1915 4707 Page [1925]

ASSEMBLY OF GOD FRIENDLY CHURCH pre 1952
1501 Bremen Ave. [1970]

ASSEMBLY OF GOD PENTECOSTAL CHURCH [Pentecostal] pre 1955
1605 N. Euclid Ave. [1955]

ASSEMBLY OF GOD TABERNACLE pre 1946
7300 Virginia Ave. [1946]

ASSOCIATED CHRISTIAN VOLUNTEERS pre 1925
2823 Easton Ave. [1925]

ASSUMPTION (of the Blessed Virgin Mary) CHURCH [Catholic] (Irish) 1861 – 1965
Organized in 1861 at Lock’s Limekiln by Father Raphael Capezuto on land donated by John Doyle. The cornerstone was laid on February 22nd by Archbishop P. R. Kenrick and dedicated Nov. 30, 1862. Rev. C. P. Smith was parish priest in 1875 and was assigned the task of organizing a new parish just west of Assumption, St. Agnes. Chief among the pastors of Assumption Parish after the division, was Rev. Patrick Dooley. Assumption Church was closed in 1965. Located at 917 Sidney (at 9th), now site of Boy’s Club, it's records were maintained at St. Agatha Church [1965]

ASSYRIA MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH [Missionary Baptist] pre 1965
1961 N. Grand Blvd. [1965]

AUBERT PLACE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [Congregational] 1890-1945
Orgnaized in 1890 Aubert Place Congregational Church began construction on their new church in 1895, just before they merged with THIRD CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH and the united churches adopted the name of FOUNTAIN PARK CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH. Later mergers brought UNITED CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH and PLYMOUTH CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH into the FOUNTAIN PARK CHURCH around 1918/19. Located at 4950 Fountain Avenue (at Auburn Street) since 1890. [1945]

AVE MARIA SHRINE
See ANNUNCIATION CHURCH

AVIS ACHIM CONGREGATION [Jewish] pre 1940
1428 Blackstone [1952]

Back to Name Index



HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS