In the Swim:
Cool Books for Hot Days
- A young girl plays with the sea in Wave by
Lee (2008), a wordless picture book.
- Share the joy of building a sandcastle in Miranda’s
Day at the Beach by Holly Keller (2009).
- Relax with Mercer Mayer's little critters in Just
Day at the Pond (2008).
to swim isn't always easy. The Boy Who
Wouldn’t Swim by Deb Lucke (2008) humorously
tracks one aquaphobic boy and his little sister who jumps right in.
- In Sergio Makes a Splash by Edel Rodriguez
(2008), a penguin discovers the joy of swimming.
- An otter learns to swim with the help of his family
in Little by Little by Amber Stewart (2008).
- Chrissa is trying out for the swim team, but when
someone starts sending mean text messages, her confidence is shaken.
Learn how she stops the bullying in Chrissa Stands Strong by
Mary Casanova (2008).
- Rita must improve her swim turns or she'll remain a
dolphin forever. Read her story of Swimming With the Sharks by
Betty Hicks (2008).
- A servant teaches Princess Lakshmi to swim. Now can
she win a race? Read The Servant and the Water Princess: A Story of
Ancient India by Jessica Gunderson (2009 ) to find out.
Queen by Shana Corey (2009) charts the life of Annette Kellerman,
the woman who invented water ballet, swam the English Channel, and
designed the modern bathing suit.
- Floating and Sinking by Jim Pipe (2008)
teaches the science behind swimming.
HOME |GROWN-UP STUFF | CATALOG |SEARCH | HINTS