The City of St. Louis Administrative Regulations have been converted to electronic
format by the staff of the St. Louis Public Library. This electronic version has been done
for the interest and convenience of the user. These are unofficial versions and should be
used as unofficial copies.
Official printed copies of the City of St. Louis Administrative Regulations may be
obtained from the Personnel Office at 1114 Market Street, Room 703, St. Louis, Missouri
- Policy Statement on Classification Reviews
- In recent years, the Department of Personnel has responded to a rather large number of
requests that individual classification reviews be conducted on currently filled
positions. A substantial number of these requests were, of course, initiated due to the
restructuring of positions necessitated by the reduction in the City workforce over the
last several years. The purpose of this memorandum is to reiterate the Department of
Personnels policy with regard to the reallocation of positions.
- The Civil Service Rules provide that competitive examinations shall be held in order to
determine which employees shall be promoted. The competitive examination process has in
the past and continues to be the preferred method of promoting employees. While there is
also provision for reallocation of incumbents without an examination process, it is
important to note that the Rules list specific conditions which must be met in order for
the reallocation to take place. These are as follows:
- (1) The reallocation of the position is based upon the accretion of new duties and
responsibilities and the incumbent was continuously employed in the position during such
accretion of duties and responsibilities.
- (2) The added duties and responsibilities were related to and supplemented the original
functions of the positions.
- (3) There is evidence that such additional duties were assigned to the position solely
to increase the efficiency of the City of St. Louis.
- Appointing authorities should give careful consideration to these factors prior to
requesting job studies. The Department of Personnel will not conduct classification
studies on currently occupied positions unless it is evident that all of the above
conditions have been met. To be more specific, it is inappropriate to reallocate an
employee to a higher class based upon the employee's detail to or acting service in a
- It is the responsibility of management personnel to motivate employees to expand their
breadth of knowledge and to develop new skills to improve the productivity and efficiency
of the workforce as a whole. It is further the responsibility of managers to encourage
employees to compete in promotional examinations whenever possible. Additionally, members
of my staff are available to counsel employees on career development and the Employee
Development Division offers a wide variety of courses to assist employees in improving
their job skills.
- I know I can count on your cooperation in a collective effort to reinforce the basic
foundation of the merit system. If you have any questions concerning this memorandum,
please contact the Classification and Compensation Division of the Department of
September 5, 1985
Back to the Index to Administrative Regulations
HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS