St. Louis City Revised Code Chapter 8.41 Firearms Manufacture
St. Louis City Revised Code (annotated) has been converted to electronic format by the staff of the St. Louis Public Library. This electronic version has been done for the interest and convenience of the user. These are unofficial versions and should be used as unofficial copies.
Official printed copies of St. Louis City Revised Code may be obtained from the Register's Office at the St. Louis City Hall.
For purposes of this chapter, the following words are to have the following meanings:
A. "Person" and "whoever" include any individual, corporation, company, association, firm, partnership, society, or joint stock company.
B. "Special firearm" means:
1. A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shall to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger and having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length;
2. Any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches;
3. Any firearm muffler or firearm silencer;
4. Any weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length;
5. Any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches;
6. Any destructive device.
Such term does not include an antique firearm.
C. "Destructive device" means:
1. Any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas:
c. Rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces,
d. Missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
e. Mine, or
f. Device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses;
2. Any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter; and
3. Any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in subsection C 1 or C 2 of this section and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.
"Destructive device" shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordinance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of Title 10, United States Code; or any other device which is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.
D. "Importer" means any person engaged in the business of importing or bringing firearms or ammunition into the United States for purposes of sale or distribution; and "licensed importer" means any such person licensed under the provisions of Chapter 44 of Title 18, United States Code.
E. "Manufacturer" means any person engaged in the manufacture of firearms or ammunition for purposes of sale or distribution.
F. "Dealer" means (1) any person engaged in the business of selling firearms or ammunition at wholesale or retail; (2) any person engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms; or (3) any person who is a pawnbroker. "Licensed dealer" means any dealer who is licensed under the provisions of Chapter 44, Title 18, United States Code.
G. "Pawnbroker" means any person whose business or occupation includes the taking or receiving, by way of pledge or pawn, of any firearm or ammunition as security for the payment or repayment of money.
H. "Collector" means any person who acquires, holds, or disposes of firearms or ammunition as curios or relics, which are not operative or capable of being made operative.
I. "Antique firearm" means:
1. Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and
2. Any replica of any firearm described in subsection F 1 of this section if such replica:
a. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or
b. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
J. "Ammunition" means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm.
(Ord. 57123 § 1, 1976.)
It shall be unlawful for any person, except an authorized peace officer, a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed pawnbroker, or licensed dealer to engage in the business of manufacturing, assembling or dealing in special firearms or the ammunition therefor, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or otherwise sell or distribute, or receive any special firearms or the ammunition therefor, or to possess any special firearm or the ammunition therefor.
(Ord. 57124 § 2, 1976.)
Whoever violates any provisions of this chapter shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be imprisoned for a period of not less than sixty days nor more than ninety days.
(Ord. 57123 § 3, 1976.)
Return to Top of Charter, Code, and Ordinances.
Return to Title 8
Return to Code Table of Contents
HOME | KIDZONE | CATALOG | CONTACT US | SEARCH | HINTS